Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, I'm still amazed when Rifftrax manage to do a movie I've actually heard of, and not just as a 'Just The Jokes', but as an actual full video stream/download. Like Super Mario Bros. or the most recent one, the Shannon Elizabeth Jack Frost slasher movie.

I actually saw "Santa Claus" in theaters. I was really young, and my father took my sister and I to one of those cheap matinee for children things. This was probably late seventies. And when I worked at Blockbuster, we actually carried "Werewolf" and "Deathstalker 3". And I religiously watched "The Master" (Master Ninja I/II) when it debut on NBC. Also rented "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank", "Parts: The Clonus Horror", and "Soultaker" on video before it was on MST3K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soultaker was definitely a known bad movie before MST3K.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are a few MST3K flicks you could have caught on television and a bunch more in the "my grandmother picked this up in the discount VHS bin because she thought we would all have a good laugh at it" bin from the dollar store, but there are definitely some that you'd have had to really have to seek out, even beyond that, to even watch them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, I'm still amazed when Rifftrax manage to do a movie I've actually heard of, and not just as a 'Just The Jokes', but as an actual full video stream/download. Like Super Mario Bros. or the most recent one, the Shannon Elizabeth Jack Frost slasher movie.

Man the Super Mario Brothers movie would be a good one for MST3K to do(heck you could mine a good amount of jokes out of the fact that Jonah would have almost definitely seen it as a kid, and thus have his childhood memories crash against the reality of what the movie is actually like), at least if they could succeed in licensing it

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

drrockso20 posted:

Man the Super Mario Brothers movie would be a good one for MST3K to do(heck you could mine a good amount of jokes out of the fact that Jonah would have almost definitely seen it as a kid, and thus have his childhood memories crash against the reality of what the movie is actually like), at least if they could succeed in licensing it

https://www.rifftrax.com/super-mario-bros

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Soultaker was definitely a known bad movie before MST3K.
Known nothing, it was lauded.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wouldn't be the first time there's been overlap between a film getting riffed by both series

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Whoever did the Netflix subtitles for the Yongary episode needs to be shot into space immediately because they misspelled Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind as "Peace of Mind". This is a severe crime against horrible puns and must be dealt with accordingly!

:spergin:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Evil Mastermind posted:

Known nothing, it was lauded.

Oh, Jesus, they actually put that line on the poster.

"SHUT UP, MAN! ZEPP'S NEVER WRONG!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my wife watched the Rifftrax of The Apple while i was at work, and i came home to so many questions

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Childhood memories of that film are universally disquieting and awful, though. It’s like a dream you’d have when you were really sick.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

precision posted:

my wife watched the Rifftrax of The Apple while i was at work, and i came home to so many questions

Is that any good? The Apple is one of those rare ecstatically bad movies where I can't imagine riffing adding anything to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rollersnake posted:

Is that any good? The Apple is one of those rare ecstatically bad movies where I can't imagine riffing adding anything to it.

It's good if you've already seen it yeah, one of those rare movies where you definitely want to watch it straight first

well, not straight per se...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

business hammocks posted:

Childhood memories of that film are universally disquieting and awful, though. It’s like a dream you’d have when you were really sick.

Speak for yourself, I always liked it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Pluto.tv introduced me to McBain and I just bought the video on the Rifftrax site for $8

I also found out that I bought some of the audio riffs 12 years ago on that site

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Oh, Jesus, they actually put that line on the poster.

"SHUT UP, MAN! ZEPP'S NEVER WRONG!"

Is Sabbath wrong too, man?! :mad:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

business hammocks posted:

Eh I always loved it as a kid personally, and I still love it to be honest(would love to run an RPG campaign in it's setting)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm sure someone involved with the project thought Werewolf's twist ending was extremely clever. Oh well, at least Paul and Natalie get to live happily ever after as wahr-wilfs, until Sam the Keeper shoots them both.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 1, 2018

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Gaz-L posted:

He did not defeat the Martians, but was at least able to keep the lights on at home thanks to a wimpy lawyer with an ABDL fetish.

Strange question, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the running gag about Whipple acting like a baby came from. Is it just because of the scene where he and Santa are playing with the toys in the department store?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Strange question, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the running gag about Whipple acting like a baby came from. Is it just because of the scene where he and Santa are playing with the toys in the department store?

When Whipple goes to the North Pole, one of them makes a joke about how this is just like his fanfiction where Santa is his dad and Mrs. Claus is his mom and he gets to be the little baby. Then they turned it into a running gag because the movie seemed to prove them right, especially since Whipple's actor wrote the script.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Thanks. As many times as I've watched that episode, I somehow missed that riff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Wouldn't be the first time there's been overlap between a film getting riffed by both series

Most of the first half hour is a running bit where Kevin is playing an ignorant mother trying to point out things that are from the games to her child, and Bill is an increasingly distraught child crying that none of those things are in the games.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm looking for information on one of the MST cons they did back in the day. Specifically the Q&A given by the guy who played Mikey in Teenage Strangler. I can't find whatever combination of words to plunk into Google to make it come up. Anyone have anything?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, Manos is the same way.

To each their own but I've re-watched Ben Solo's Manos restoration now on its own at least as much as I've watched it on MST3K and the Riffed version. It has an earnestness about it that chills me out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man the live rifftrax of Plan 9 is almost torpedoed before it even begins with the awful novelty song comedian, jesus he sucks hard.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm looking for information on one of the MST cons they did back in the day. Specifically the Q&A given by the guy who played Mikey in Teenage Strangler. I can't find whatever combination of words to plunk into Google to make it come up. Anyone have anything?

The MST3K Scrapbook tape is on YouTube and has a brief excerpt from his Q&A, that might be the best you can do.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

precision posted:

man the live rifftrax of Plan 9 is almost torpedoed before it even begins with the awful novelty song comedian, jesus he sucks hard.
Yeah, it's really hard to watch that one because it's one of the first ones and you can tell they were trying to make it a whole ~show~ instead of just focusing on the movie itself.

The zombie love song thing is bad enough as a one-note joke that goes on waaaaaay too long, but then asking everyone to sing along just raises it to a whole new level of cringe.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

TL posted:

The MST3K Scrapbook tape is on YouTube and has a brief excerpt from his Q&A, that might be the best you can do.

That gave me what I needed! Thank you!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

precision posted:

Jonathan Coulton also did the godawful theme song for Rifftrax. I actually like a few of his songs because I'm an idiot, but Rifftrax would totally be more enjoyable without his contributions.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The rifftrax song is absolutely the worst thing about rifftrax

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I don't like the animated intro in general, it looks really cheap. Not in a charming way like MST3K, but in a "wow, they seriously couldn't get a better animator for this poo poo?" sense. Then you add Jonathan Coulton at his most grating, and the results speak for themselves. :gonk:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 2, 2018

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Doc Morbid posted:

I don't like the animated intro in general, it looks really cheap. Not in a charming way like MST3K, but in a "wow, they seriously couldn't get a better animator for this poo poo?" sense. Then you add Jonathan Coulton at his most grating, and the results speak for themselves. :gonk:

Just to add to this: seeing Vader force choke the Karate Kid followed by Thor staking the Twilight vampire, wasn't all that funny the first time I saw it, and by the 900th time it's beyond annoying.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I know it's the same people, but the vibe of basically everything Rifftrax turns me off of it so much that I haven't been able to sit through a full thing of anything they've done, and I'm a huge MST3K fan.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

flatluigi posted:

I know it's the same people, but the vibe of basically everything Rifftrax turns me off of it so much that I haven't been able to sit through a full thing of anything they've done, and I'm a huge MST3K fan.

:same:
Just something about it, I can't get into it. Altho I did enjoy Kingdom of the Spiders, but that might've been cause it was William Shatner fighting spiders and not because of the riffs.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

They won't do it because of business reasons, but I wish the Rifftrax guys would come back to the MST3K side. They still have some great lines in 'em, but overall most episodes are pretty hit-or-miss, and they lose something from being audio-only.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know people have mentioned it before, but I’d get a hearty laugh out of Mike calling and having the Kevin Servo and Bill Crow appear with him and there being no explanation offered.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

:( I like it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

moist turtleneck posted:

by renowned band Perhaps, After All, They Are Not Giants

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Johnathon Coulton does the RiffTrax theme, JSYK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

flatluigi posted:

There's some good stuff. Have you tried Roadhouse?

Or Stone Cold? ( An unorthodox policeman (Brian Bosworth) joins and then destroys a crazed biker's (Lance Henriksen) gang for the FBI. )