Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think we established last season that Ash has a pretty high tolerance for substance abuse. He's not a lightweight, he's just a horny fool.

Ash was fully cognizant during his trip after drinking a full glass of witchdoctor acid. The man parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Flatscan posted:

No, it was Tapert that was against it.

GreenNight posted:

Exactly. Tapert is the anti-fun guy. He thinks the show should be like the first movie.

Oh.

Oh no!

This isn't groovy, this isn't groovy at all!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, the show is already sillier than Army of Darkness. I could see someone wanting to dial it back to AoD levels or maybe even ED2 levels, but ED1 would be insane tonal whiplash.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I really can't see anyone making Ash vs Evil Dead without a lot of schlocky comedy, body horror, and Ash. Like, if Season 3 suddenly became the Evil Dead remake that would be weird and offputting (and I like the remake) but I can't imagine there's anyone involved who thinks that would work.

But yeah, there's a LOT of room to "cut back" without actually getting anywhere close to there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

The last episode got butchered. Everything was fine until that.

Whatever you think of the planned Kelly twist
What was the original plan? That last episode made zero sense and was a total mess.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

What was the original plan? That last episode made zero sense and was a total mess.

To sum up a very long story, Robert Tapert and the show runner had been at odds for a while. Tapert hated the extremely out there comedy elements and lobbied HARD against the corpse-butt scene and it went south from there.

In the end the show runner had been building to the point where what was going to happen was Ash was going to be hanging out in a bar in the 80s and bang Kelly's mother, and thus be revealed that Kelly is actually his daughter.

I agree that sounds kind of dumb, but if you look back you can see where he'd been planting that the whole time. Tapert just flat out veto'd it and in the end they had to reshoot half the finale off barely even having a script to get around this. The original finale had them at the cabin for less than 5 minutes so not to retread the past finale so basically most of the episode was damage control for undoing, well, the whole plot.

This is apparently also when Ash was supposed to find out his dad's big secret.

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, the show is already sillier than Army of Darkness. I could see someone wanting to dial it back to AoD levels or maybe even ED2 levels, but ED1 would be insane tonal whiplash.

The show has a lot more edgier troma-like humor than the main series but I thought that was part of it's necessary updating. Sometimes they go a bit far, but that's part of the charm. The grind house vibe layered onto the whole thing felt like a natural evolution of the series.

I really am worried about Tapert running the show. I can't hate on the guy because you KNOW he means well, this isn't corporate bottom line sellout poo poo, but I do feel a bit of a "Grandpa! Stop giving suggestions to our band!" vibe.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 3, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

According to Bruce's new book, Sam has final say on everything.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Corpse butt scene was really bad and probably the low point of the series in terms of sheer grossness and dumb comedy so I don't mind Tapert for that. But the comedy in the Evil Dead series is absolutely necessary to keep it from being mindless gore. Plus Ash is what makes the movies and TV series. His personality is all about fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought it was funny but it was also REALLY REALLY extreme and when people mention it as the big division point for the "serious guy" it just doesn't resonate with me at all. Like I don't think not wanting that scene makes you a no fun serious guy. I think it just puts your taste line at a pretty reasonable place.

But yeah, I don't know how you could have Ash/Bruce Campbell and not keep the series plenty at its schlocky heart.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Davros1 posted:

According to Bruce's new book, Sam has final say on everything.
I doubt this is his highest priority unfortunately.

Even so, for a multibillion dollar director he can’t seem to get poo poo off the ground lately.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LashLightning posted:

There still appears to be some threat to a fourth season, I think. The Kelly actor was pushing some campaign on Facebook about something happening to Starz - presumably if something happens to Starz, a new season isn't so likely.

If that's why the show is finally on a streaming service people actually use then good riddance.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

If that's why the show is finally on a streaming service people actually use then good riddance.

Seriously there's no way in hell Netflix wouldn't at least throw out an offer for Ash vs Evil Dead wholesale if Starz implodes. It's exactly the kind of programming they actually want on the roster.

Hell the first two seasons being up there now might be a feeler in that direction.

STAC Goat posted:

I thought it was funny but it was also REALLY REALLY extreme and when people mention it as the big division point for the "serious guy" it just doesn't resonate with me at all. Like I don't think not wanting that scene makes you a no fun serious guy. I think it just puts your taste line at a pretty reasonable place.

The show's complete lack of taste has been one of it's best assets.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
anyone who says they dont like that scene is just brownnosing

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just read how the finale was supposed to be by the showrunner who quit because of Tapert and I'm starting to think it's a good thing:

AV Club posted:

AVC: What was the original plan?

CD: Here’s what I remember—please forgive me if I gloss over anything—this alternate version was written almost a year ago. Basically, Ash kills Henrietta, gets the book, and runs outside with it. I wanted to get the episode outside of the cabin as quickly as possible because I thought I only wanted to see the cabin for episode nine. I didn’t want it to be there in 10 because I thought it was a repeat of last year with the last two episodes in the cabin. So, we got out of the cabin quickly, and that’s when Ruby and Kelly return. Inside, young Ash has entered but the book is gone, so he never reads it in this timeline. At that moment, the trunk rattles, Pablo’s in there, and he’s okay.

So, now they have the book and they have Pablo. Ash decides Ruby and Kelly are going to destroy the book. Meanwhile, Ash and Pablo head into town because Ash secretly wants to see his present-day deceased father Brock one last time before they go back to the present—remember that in 203 Brock starts to reveal a big “secret,” we wanted Ash to want to get to the bottom of this. So, Ash and Pablo go to the bar, Kelly and Ruby go to the woods to destroy the book. In the woods, Ruby runs into 1982 Ruby and makes that same sort of plea to her, the “your life is going to be different, you don’t have to do this.” But 1982 Ruby thinks that her future self has gone completely soft, kills Ruby, but then Kelly holds her own against 1982 Ruby, grabs the book, and runs with it. 1982 Ruby chases her because she wants to bring her husband and kids back and she didn’t listen to her future self.

Meanwhile, at the bar, Ash doesn’t see his dad, but does see a nice young lady, who seems very sad because she just got passed over for a teacher position. She’s distraught, and Ash, having learned a lot about how you can fail and come back from it, starts talking to her very genuinely in the charming Bruce way. They end up drinking together and go in a bathroom stall to have some early-’80s unprotected sex. What you don’t realize is that the woman Ash is having sex with is Kelly’s future mother [a young Suzy Maxwell]. So, what happens is that Kelly, while running in the woods, all of a sudden feels her entire being change and drops the book. That’s when 1982 Ruby catches up and realizes what just happened. She looks through the Necronomicon and sees Ash’s picture, and then next to it, a picture of Kelly starts to appear. Because of the unprotected bathroom stall incident, Kelly has become Ash’s daughter.

At that point, Pablo rushes into the bar, says there’s something wrong because the skies are going dark now that 1982 Ruby has the book, and they’re starting to summon things back. They go get Kelly, who’s somehow pissed at Ash, even though she doesn’t really know what happened, and while they don’t have the book, they have Pablo and use him to jump back to present day. When they get back, Ruby is standing there with Baal and her kids and they take Kelly away. Apologies, I really ran through a bunch there in about two sentences. But basically, we were setting up a season three where Ash had to go rescue his daughter… Kelly.

Seemed kind of too much and kind of boring to boot. I'm also not that in love with Kelly as a character and she definitely shouldn't be the heir to Ash. I'm kind of glad they went away from that route.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

I'm also not that in love with Kelly as a character and she definitely shouldn't be the heir to Ash. I'm kind of glad they went away from that route.

I think Kelly is loving awesome, but making her the genetic heir to Ash weakened her as a character. I like her just being awesome in her own right. Plus the whole thing about Ash being a chosen one is hilarious because he's just some dumbass dude, that as he says, shoots first and thinks never. Making her awesome because he's actually some chosen one is lame. So I do get where the conflict was coming from.

It's one of the reasons I find the falling out tragic, not horrendous. It's not like what happened on Fear the Walking Dead when the show got immensely, immensely better than the main franchise in it's 3rd season and the show runner was promptly kicked out to drag it down to AMC quality levels. That's a bullshit play. This is like I said before out of love for the franchise instead so I'm willing to give it a shot.

That said how can you not love her character after "gently caress their faces with bullets!"

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 3, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Remulak posted:

I doubt this is his highest priority unfortunately.

Even so, for a multibillion dollar director he can’t seem to get poo poo off the ground lately.

It's interesting, in his new book Bruce talked about him and Rob having the idea for the show, but then they had to pitch it to Sam. Then when he agreed to their pitch, the three of them went to different networks to try and sell. Bruce mentions how at this point in his career, Sam has final say/cut in his contract, and that it is very important to Sam to retain creative control. Bruce then tell the story how when Sam mentioned this to one network (Bruce didn't name them), the executive told them "Don't worry, we know how to make good tv", so Sam said no to them. Sam also wrote the series bible with his brother Ivan, who's one of the writers on the show. So I doubt Sam is not constantly in the loop to its going-ons.

Bruce also mentioned that in season 1, the Sam directed episode went over its shooting schedule, that each subsequent episode lost a shooting day.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think Kelly is loving awesome, but making her the genetic heir to Ash weakened her as a character. I like her just being awesome in her own right. Plus the whole thing about Ash being a chosen one is hilarious because he's just some dumbass dude, that as he says, shoots first and thinks never. Making her awesome because he's actually some chosen one is lame. So I do get where the conflict was coming from.

It's one of the reasons I find the falling out tragic, not horrendous. It's not like what happened on Fear the Walking Dead when the show got immensely, immensely better than the main franchise in it's 3rd season and the show runner was promptly kicked out to drag it down to AMC quality levels. That's a bullshit play. This is like I said before out of love for the franchise instead so I'm willing to give it a shot.

That said how can you not love her character after "gently caress their faces with bullets!"

To be fair I'm more of a purist and don't especially care for Pablo that much either. I like it when Ash goes it alone. Kelly in non action scenes is great but the second poo poo hits the fan all she does is yell in that monotone Aaaaaah while missing every shot possible with her gun. Definitely no where close in terms of Ash badassery.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finished Season 2. Overall it was great and the latter episodes were amazing as they were Evil Dead campy perfection.

My biggest complaint was that they made the cop too irredeemably lovely. It would be much more interesting if he had more depth to him.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Pablo is a loyal bandito to the jefe and anyone who hates him will have to take it up with me

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

My only problem with Pablo is that he let's Ash's ignorant comments about his race go too far sometimes.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

punk rebel ecks posted:

Finished Season 2. Overall it was great and the latter episodes were amazing as they were Evil Dead campy perfection.

My biggest complaint was that they made the cop too irredeemably lovely. It would be much more interesting if he had more depth to him.

I don't think we need spoilers at this point since this show's been out since 2015. The sheriff being so lovely was fine he just shoulda died earlier or done something even dumber, like shoot someone. He shows the most remarkable restraint that a cop has ever shown not shooting people.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Kelly and Pablo are both solid, they round out the show and give Ash something to bounce off. That said I think you could still move along without them, but really there is no reason to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kelly and Pablo are vitally needed for something long form like this as Ash needs a reason to stay tethered and actually attempt to do the right thing.

Evil Dead 1 and 2 were just about survival, but I don't think that works as a sole motivation anymore.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Doltos posted:

Corpse butt scene was really bad and probably the low point of the series in terms of sheer grossness and dumb comedy so I don't mind Tapert for that. But the comedy in the Evil Dead series is absolutely necessary to keep it from being mindless gore. Plus Ash is what makes the movies and TV series. His personality is all about fun.

Corpse butt scene was amazing

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

etalian posted:

Corpse butt scene was amazing

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I will make this concession with those against the corpse-butt scene - there could have been less poop.

I will openly accept that someone could be squimish around fake poop - I was certainly put off by the fake brains in "I, Zombie" - and it may be a deal breaker when otherwise the fore and horror in the show is acceptable.

I respect those feelings, and I don't think any less of those who have them.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kelly and Pablo are great and the dynamic that make the show work. You all are crazy to suggest otherwise.

Does nobody remember Kelly vs Ashy Slashy?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

LashLightning posted:

I will make this concession with those against the corpse-butt scene - there could have been less poop.

I will openly accept that someone could be squimish around fake poop - I was certainly put off by the fake brains in "I, Zombie" - and it may be a deal breaker when otherwise the fore and horror in the show is acceptable.

I respect those feelings, and I don't think any less of those who have them.

That's what got me about the scene. It was a long draw up of fake diarrhea poop and his head went right through it. There's a lot of piss and poo poo flung all over the heroes and they never seem to mind the smell.

Other than that I have no problem with it.

bull3964 posted:

Kelly and Pablo are vitally needed for something long form like this as Ash needs a reason to stay tethered and actually attempt to do the right thing.

Evil Dead 1 and 2 were just about survival, but I don't think that works as a sole motivation anymore.

Of course they're necessary but if the series was Evil Dead 3 Pablo woulda died early and something really, really heinous would have happened to Kelly.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Pablo would have died early then come back as book flesh and people would be like "who?".

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Doltos posted:

There's a lot of piss and poo poo flung all over the heroes and they never seem to mind the smell.

Kelly absolutely did mind the smell.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hey, some people pay good money for that stuff.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
https://twitter.com/AshvsEvilDead/status/954059177374105600

New trailer looks awesome. :circlefap:

bathhouse fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 18, 2018

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Looks good. Army vs. Evil Dead?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This looks awesome.

The whole thing about Ash's daughter.. it feels like they had ideas for season 3 in the can, and this was a way to make it work without his daughter being Kelly. I'm OK with that.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
gently caress Yes.

And a goddamn weird aspect ratio for the trailer too, increasing the feeling of eeriness.

gently caress Yes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
YouTube version with correct aspect ratio:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Oh dear lord that looks amazing.

Also Ash's love interest is different than the one from season 2 so that means she's loving dead

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Doltos posted:

Rewatching this glorious series and I forgot that this whole thing kicked off because Ash got high on pills and read from the Necronomicon to impress a girl

I did a rewatch recently and that scene is so good "Check out this poetry, it'll blow your mind". The delivery is amazing and gets me every time.

New season looks great, can't wait.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/imdanadelorenzo/status/956314676572246017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Because it looks delicious that’s why.

• Locked thread