Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/948318722489569280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Cruz is gonna be inserting himself into every primary until the day he dies. His reputation since loving high school is that of someone that is always clambering to reach a higher seat of power and the POTUS is the ultimate end goal for him. Fortunately, he has all the charisma of a moldy banana so the odds of him ever winning a general election are slim. Even Republicans don't like him.

I still get a chuckle out of one of my old coworkers voting for Cruz in the primary because she thought "his faith was true," and it broke her brain a bit when I told her what a fuckin' slimeball he is.

Then again maybe she was just really drat stupid since she had no idea that Italy and Japan were on the same side as Germany in WWII.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Quorum posted:

Basically everyone who a) is elected and b) the left likes is this way, minus a few gimmes like "diplomacy is good" and "let's try to stop human rights abuses," honestly. I'm struggling to think of a left-approved nationally elected politician who focuses much on the foreign policy side.

Gabbard?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Oh god

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

Her authenticity on Wall Street regulation matters way more than if she doesn't check your boxes in charisma.

The idea that she would lose as a sitting president because of stump speeches is absurd.

The only people who know about her authenticity on wall street are political nerds and the hardcore base. The morons in the middle are going to care more about superficial details.

She'd probably still beat Trump because thats a special case, but I'm not confident that she can beat a smooth, smiley Republican governor without a lot of baggage making hard votes.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

How did I forget about that already? Here it is, for anyone who hasn't seen it. poo poo, and for those who have.
This is full-swing wrecking ball ownage. Literal dumbstruck silence included. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0

Watching the very moment his brain freezes and force-reboots NEVER gets old. This might honestly be the best thing Republicans have ever given us.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Rigel posted:

The only people who know about her authenticity on wall street are political nerds and the hardcore base. The morons in the middle are going to care more about superficial details.

She'd probably still beat Trump because thats a special case, but I'm not confident that she can beat a smooth, smiley Republican governor without a lot of baggage making hard votes.

Smooth smiley Republicans like

If there's anything the last year has done is completely demolish the GOP bench. Everyone who's worn kid gloves with Trump has come out looking worse, and nobody who's seeking re election has the nerve to stand up to him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So remember that Steven Seagal book that came out and was basically every right wing belief? This is a almost too deep dive into it

https://www.nathanrabin.com/happy-p...king-of-america

It's basically made up of Trump tweets and Briebart articles.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

In that she's a woman and America is super sexist?

She's a woman, she's white, and old. Ordinarily I'd be right there with you in the 'gently caress those bigots' sense, but defeating Trump in 2020 is super important. I agree with others, there are better options.

Also by weak campaigner I mean she's a very wooden speaker.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rigel posted:

Stop trying to win these votes by moderating positions to be more friendly to their stupidity. We need an authentic candidate who is willing to be themselves, and warren is just that. Plus Trump won't be able to stop calling her Pocahontas.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

I think your vision of political narratives is incredibly superficial. You're claiming she can beat an incumbent president but would, after serving for 4 years, lose reelection because her stump speeches are less glossy. The reelection would be a referendum on her presidency not her stump speeches. Reelection would be about if she achieved financial reforms, made progress on education and jobs, etc.

Family Values posted:

She's a woman, she's white, and old. Ordinarily I'd be right there with you in the 'gently caress those bigots' sense, but defeating Trump in 2020 is super important. I agree with others, there are better options.

Also by weak campaigner I mean she's a very wooden speaker.

Who are you so certain is a better option?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CascadeBeta posted:

Smooth smiley Republicans like

If there's anything the last year has done is completely demolish the GOP bench. Everyone who's worn kid gloves with Trump has come out looking worse, and nobody who's seeking re election has the nerve to stand up to him.

Kasich v Gabbard 2020 :shepface:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Stop trying to win these votes by moderating positions to be more friendly to their stupidity. We need an authentic candidate who is willing to be themselves, and warren is just that. Plus Trump won't be able to stop calling her Pocahontas.

I'm not talking about moderating positions. By all means, we should nominate an unapologetic progressive who will go to war against the GOP.

Warren is the best on substance, but on style if I had to use one word to describe what its like to listen to a long speech, it would be "unpleasant". Uninformed voters who are freed from the baggage of Trump in 2024 are going to go "I just don't like her". The other women in the field don't have that same problem.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Who are you so certain is a better option?

I'm not even sure she wants to run but I think Kamala Harris would be better in every way.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

I think your vision of political narratives is incredibly superficial. You're claiming she can beat an incumbent president but would, after serving for 4 years

Defeating Trump in 2020 is not going to be difficult for anyone who is currently a serious contender.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So hey Donald Trump wants a war with Venezuela. He said so with the rest of Latin America’s leaders.

How about that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rigel posted:

I'm not talking about moderating positions. By all means, we should nominate an unapologetic progressive who will go to war against the GOP.

Warren is the best on substance, but on style if I had to use one word to describe what its like to listen to a long speech, it would be "unpleasant". Uninformed voters who are freed from the baggage of Trump in 2024 are going to go "I just don't like her". The other women in the field don't have that same problem.

She is more dry than other potential candidates. But she is also the most progressive among them, soo...

Rigel posted:

Defeating Trump in 2020 2016 is not going to be difficult for anyone who is currently a serious contender.

Fixed that for you.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

All I can think of

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Family Values posted:

I'm not even sure she wants to run but I think Kamala Harris would be better in every way.

Almost certainly not on prisoners rights at the very least.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Office Pig posted:

So hey Donald Trump wants a war with Venezuela. He said so with the rest of Latin America’s leaders.

How about that.

Might be the best thing for Venezuelans.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948322497602220032

Oh good. This is just great.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
which fox show was talking about this

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/julianborger/status/948267864368320512

What a bitch

Also

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-korea-resumes-missile-activity-south-olympics-talks/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=46502149

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

Almost certainly not on prisoners rights at the very least.

Better as a candidate, not better as in lefty purity tests.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Today has positively been a tweet typhoon.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Fixed that for you.

Defeating Trump ended up being a challenge for the worst candidate the Dems had nominated in the party's entire modern history, the same candidate who was the victim of decades of propaganda. And she still would have won without the Comey letter.

I don't get your point. Defeating Trump won't be difficult for any of our current serious contenders.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I mean, Warren is the absolute best shot we have at getting real regulation of the banking sector and help for the struggling middle class. The CFPB is her baby and the reason she ran for office at all. I would love to vote for Elizabeth Warren.

I'm just really scared that the banks know this and would make things very difficult for her in a year when we really really cannot afford to lose.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Office Pig posted:

Any bets on whether Kushner is getting arrested this week?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rigel posted:

We live in a world where 'your friend on facebook' is a key source. Having nerds willing to go to bat for you on social media is really loving important.

gently caress, the US is actually getting outmanuvered in diplomacy by loving North Korea. This is like the tailspin era of a once great fighter, as they start to lose to lower and lower ranked opponents.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

We live in a world where 'your friend on facebook' is a key source. Having nerds willing to go to bat for you on social media is really loving important.

That is a pretty good point in favor of Warren.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
"I raised the price and insulted them to their faces and it didn't make them want to make a deal. It is clearly they who are the assholes!"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My head physically hurts from how stupid and counterproductive US foreign policy has been today.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Office Pig posted:

How about that.

Normally this would provoke laughter from me but I’m increasingly growing concerned about the mental image of a delirious Donnie wondering into the Oval Office wearing nothing but his piss-stained whitey-tighties and berating the staffer carrying the nuclear football to give it to him, believing it to be the Diet Coke button.

Between this, Iran, North Korea, and now Pakistan, it’s obvious the dude is loving gone mentally. If I were a leader of an economically strong country I’d be having talks with other leaders about sanctions freezing up American assets overseas until the GOP does something about Trump. Make your states pull out of the NYSE, or something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Family Values posted:

Harris is certainly running. But her record as a DA and lack of record on anti-Wall Street will certainly hurt her. Harris is already getting dinged for pressing the flesh in Martha's Vinyard.

Family Values posted:

Better as a candidate, not better as in lefty purity tests.

If you think Harris wouldn't be dogged the entire primary about the pro-slavery legal positions her office took, you're not paying attention. And having these kind of negative lingering stories weakens her as a candidate. In fact it might doom her.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

"I raised the price and insulted them to their faces and it didn't make them want to make a deal. It is clearly they who are the assholes!"

That's Trump's negotiating strategy, yeah, has been for years. Art Of The DealTM

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Office Pig posted:

Its almost like when someone takes a weeks long vacation and comes back to a pile of poo poo all at once.

But that can't be the case. President Trump works hard on the golf course. Its work golf.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If I had to bet $100 on predicting who the Dems will nominate for 2020, right now I'd put the money on Gillibrand.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Family Values posted:

Can't wait to start jailing poor parents of truant kids on a federal level, not to mention the savings from denying healthcare to trans prisoners.

And we'll be rolling in profits from the prison slavery industry.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 2, 2018

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Snowman_McK posted:

gently caress, the US is actually getting outmanuvered in diplomacy by loving North Korea. This is like the tailspin era of a once great fighter, as they start to lose to lower and lower ranked opponents.

The past year has made me feel like even if the US went to war against Nauru or something we would find some bizarre way to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

Defeating Trump ended up being a challenge for the worst candidate the Dems had nominated in the party's entire modern history, the same candidate who was the victim of decades of propaganda. And she still would have won without the Comey letter.

I don't get your point. Defeating Trump won't be difficult for any of our current serious contenders.

Defeating Trump will be difficult even with the perfect candidate. This idea that Trump is easy to defeat is based on what you want to be true more than reality.

• Locked thread