Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

haveblue posted:

As I understand it a turreted corvette or anaconda is for entering a combat zone, going to get a snack, and coming back to a few million in bounties.

Maybe at release but if you enter a CZ now and then leave your screen for any reason, you're gonna get smoked in seconds by railgun vipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
You'll have more luck going to a HazRez with 1 ton of gold in your hold.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

haveblue posted:

As I understand it a turreted corvette or anaconda is for entering a combat zone, going to get a snack, and coming back to a few million in bounties.
Large ships generate more threat, which means half of CZ is suddenly attacking you and only you. But REZ sites work the way you described, unless a wing of 3 elite anacondas attacks you or something like that.

Turrets are good, you don't need maneuvering, when you can just shoot lasers in their general direction forever.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dwesa posted:

Large ships generate more threat, which means half of CZ is suddenly attacking you and only you. But REZ sites work the way you described, unless a wing of 3 elite anacondas attacks you or something like that.

Turrets are good, you don't need maneuvering, when you can just shoot lasers in their general direction forever.

Can you engineer laser turrets for range? Then that would be the ultimate. Engineer a type ten, park it in a hazres with a fighter bay and just disco ball your way to elite combat status.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I really have to play hit-and-run in combat zones in my Anaconda - if I jump in and choose a faction right away I get attacked by like five ships and my shields are gone in 60 seconds. They really stepped-up the game in terms of AI since release.

Maybe I should try a vulture for combat zones next.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Gort posted:

Yeah, I really have to play hit-and-run in combat zones in my Anaconda - if I jump in and choose a faction right away I get attacked by like five ships and my shields are gone in 60 seconds. They really stepped-up the game in terms of AI since release.

Maybe I should try a vulture for combat zones next.

Feel free to wing up with me, I can show you what a Vulture can do in a High Intensity CZ :getin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Can you engineer laser turrets for range? Then that would be the ultimate. Engineer a type ten, park it in a hazres with a fighter bay and just disco ball your way to elite combat status.

Yes you can. (Explorers: You can also mod your weapons for mass. If you want to be a special snowflake like me, and drag large pulse lasers into the great beyond, simply mod them until you have reduced their mass to about 25%, effectively giving you size 3 weapons with size 1 mass. And they will be as structurally sound as soap bubbles in a blizzard. But as a deep space explorer you don't expect getting shot at, anyway. Right? :v: )

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

Edmond Dantes posted:

3) Comedy question: I have a Microsoft Sidewinder (usb) at my parents'; can I use it with this? (should I?)

I have an MS Sidewinder 2 FFB stick and it works just fine. I'm using it with a Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and a pair of Saitek pedals (Combat something or another).

My only gripe is I wish it had a couple extra buttons, but it works fine for Elite as there are plenty of things available on my throttle.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've just bought a fighter bay and had a play... these are the funnest ships in the game

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yes. Fighters own, and ships that carry fighters also own. I have a "relaxaconda" that's just shieldtanked and turreted to hell. I park it in rez sites and play cool music and fly fighters around.

I think once I'm back from Cali Nebula and have it engineered more my FGS will be my go to dedicated fightyboat. It feels a bit like a thicc vulture, it's covered in guns and it launches fighters. The FSD range hurts but if you engie it you can get like 20ly out of it and still fight well.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Yes. Fighters own, and ships that carry fighters also own. I have a "relaxaconda" that's just shieldtanked and turreted to hell. I park it in rez sites and play cool music and fly fighters around.

I think once I'm back from Cali Nebula and have it engineered more my FGS will be my go to dedicated fightyboat. It feels a bit like a thicc vulture, it's covered in guns and it launches fighters. The FSD range hurts but if you engie it you can get like 20ly out of it and still fight well.

The FGS is NOT a "thicc vulture" oh my god what is wrong with you

Edit: unless by thicc you mean "diabetic who had to have both legs amputated"

Edit 2: Also, turrets suck. They do piss-poor damage. Use gimbals. Actually fly your ship.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 3, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The FGS is NOT a "thicc vulture" oh my god what is wrong with you

Edit: unless by thicc you mean "diabetic who had to have both legs amputated"

Edit 2: Also, turrets suck. They do piss-poor damage. Use gimbals. Actually fly your ship.

lol, look at this theory-crafter (that or troll trying to trick noobs into following them into hell) over here. Big ships don't work the same way as little ships.

if I only need to roll my ship to hit the little bastards nipping at my heels, I'm going to have so much more reliable time on target that the extra DPS is at least a wash, not to mention forcing chaff earlier and more often. You aren't going to ever outmaneuver a fighter in a gunship.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

osirisisdead posted:

lol, look at this theory-crafter (that or troll trying to trick noobs into following them into hell) over here. Big ships don't work the same way as little ships.

if I only need to roll my ship to hit the little bastards nipping at my heels, I'm going to have so much more reliable time on target that the extra DPS is at least a wash, not to mention forcing chaff earlier and more often. You aren't going to ever outmaneuver a fighter in a gunship.

Turreted weapons have a lot of use, even on small ships because of the extra time on target. I had a very successful pvp eagle with two missiles and a turreted beam laser on top that just drained their shields while I dodged around them.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, I'm imagining an Eagle with one of those pinwheel caps that is shooting lasers for no reason.

That's :krad:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

osirisisdead posted:

lol, I'm imagining an Eagle with one of those pinwheel caps that is shooting lasers for no reason.

That's :krad:

It was a lot of fun, and the placement on the Eagle is the perfect spot for a turret because it will have a view of your target at all times. As long as you have weapons capacity, you are always doing damage.

It was also a silent running build, and this guy thought I was hacking after he lost:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

so wait, do turrets shoot all around? I thought they only did that if you were in multi-crew?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

osirisisdead posted:

My dude have you tried this thing all the cool kids are doing??? It's called gittin' gud. I've seen you post a lot of nonsensical horseshit, not to put too fine a point on it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Ratjaculation posted:

so wait, do turrets shoot all around? I thought they only did that if you were in multi-crew?

They can shoot in any direction that they can see from their placement that won't hit your own ship. You have the option of having them only track after your current target, having them fire at any hostile ship nearby, or to only fire forward like a fixed weapon. Multi-crew can manually choose a direction.

edit- you can set up a Battlestar big ship by covering your ship in turreted cannons and multicannons and set to fire-at-will. Add a few point defense and remove your shields (invest in hull plating) for extra immersion. You will dakka in every direction and blow up most incoming missiles.
example: https://eddp.co/u/vGXWdBxE

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 3, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

osirisisdead posted:

Man don't gently caress with Kurr, he will show you some poo poo you just wouldn't believe.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mike the TV posted:

It was a lot of fun, and the placement on the Eagle is the perfect spot for a turret because it will have a view of your target at all times. As long as you have weapons capacity, you are always doing damage.

It was also a silent running build, and this guy thought I was hacking after he lost:

How do you make a silent running build? I want a silent running build.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

doctorfrog posted:

How do you make a silent running build? I want a silent running build.

-remove shields
-reinforce hull where possible
-equip as many heat sink launchers as you can fit
-turn on silent running
-be Isinona

*silent running does not work against NPCs

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

-remove shields
-turn on silent running
-be Isinona

Holy poo poo, if he wasn't so proud about heat sinks he could have erased that guy.

Ok, silent running build time

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Man, I just wanted to be excited about my cool new ship and people went and got attitudes >:(

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Inspector Hound posted:

Holy poo poo, if he wasn't so proud about heat sinks he could have erased that guy.

Ok, silent running build time

Other tips:

-heat management is your biggest concern, so A-rank your powerplant for best efficiency
-try to also use weapons that make less heat, like projectile weapons (or engineer beam lasers to dissipate heat)
-you want to be a small target, so try to use a smaller ship
-every ship has invisible heat management stats. The Diamondback Scout is one of the best

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh, you're one of those

Mike the TV posted:

-remove shields
-turn on silent running
-be Isinona

:eng101: if you are silent running, you need to use FA off and try to maneuver with thrusters so you don't leave an engine trail

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

orange juche posted:

Man don't gently caress with Kurr, he will show you some poo poo you just wouldn't believe.

Don’t forget to cup the balls.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
"Waaah waaah they should have a separate section of the station for criminal passengers and cargo. Or make the illicit missions a different color, not just a small footnote in the passenger description." - Me, an hour ago.

Now I gotta wait 24 hrs for the wanted status to go away...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

jubjub64 posted:

"Waaah waaah they should have a separate section of the station for criminal passengers and cargo. Or make the illicit missions a different color, not just a small footnote in the passenger description." - Me, an hour ago.

Time to hit the ol' dusty trail, pardner... :clint:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
If you wanna use turrets that's fine, but they suck for a number of reasons:

1) They do the least amount of damage of any weapon type.
2) They're expensive as gently caress
3) They have a mind of their own.

1 and 2 I can live with, but 3 is annoying as hell since they swivel around and shoot at poo poo, using up your WEP capacitor on shots that aren't hitting and that just makes me die inside. Use gimbals, take control of your guns and learn how to move your ship the way it needs to move. Revel in the flight model, the one shining jewel the game can claim unequivocally.

Edit: And if you use the other mode, then you might as well just use Gimbals!

jubjub64 posted:

Being wanted doesn't really mean a whole hell of a lot. You can conduct all the business you want while wanted, just don't let the cops scan you. Be quick when docking, or drop heatsinks when you start to be scanned, and you can pass thru without issue.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 3, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay. I'm sorry that you had such a difficult time with something that has been a fun and enjoyable experience for me.

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008
Reminder that emissive hard counters silent running.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Being wanted doesn't really mean a whole hell of a lot. You can conduct all the business you want while wanted, just don't let the cops scan you. Be quick when docking, or drop heatsinks when you start to be scanned, and you can pass thru without issue.

Yeah, I tried to do that when I was leaving the station but for some reason my heatsink didn't cover me. Maybe it was because I bumped around the mailslot as I made my exit. I'm still getting used to my new Anaconda.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Holy cow the number of times I've switched ships and forgot that a) gimbals were cargo and had to be transferred and b) to activate crew for an SLF.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/7nv250/serious_an_investigation_into_frontiers_actions/

:munch:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

e: nvm

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I can only have fun in games when I know someone else is hurting, so this affects me deeply. I am kidding, a little.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Wonder if its the same people who used to cry about the exact same poo poo back in EvE.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
if I got you to log out or quit before the apointted time I feel it's a much better victory then killing you. I got you so mad you had to hard reset. that's a win in my book.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

zooted heh posted:

if I got you to log out or quit before the apointted time I feel it's a much better victory then killing you. I got you so mad you had to hard reset. that's a win in my book.

That’s kinda my thought. I think it’s an issue, sure, because if you’re playing in open, imo you kind of agree to the terms of it and that means potential rebuys for getting wrecked by gankers. When I played open and immediately got killed twice (once in a super griefy, SDC ramming people way) I could have combat logged but meh. I agreed to those rules when I started this mode. I have way better options in Solo or a PG if I don’t want that.

I think it’s lovely of SDC to be the ones championing this and it gives away their attitude. All their “we are for the lulz” isn’t really true - they’re just a marginally more self aware group of obsessives about the game. If you were really in it just to gank and troll fuckers I’d think you’d be proud of combat logging against you and, more importantly, not be the guy mashing the report button for something so inconsequential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Wait, heatsink dropping interrupts scanning?

• Locked thread