Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, the Kelly/Helfrich Ducks' offense was entertaining as hell.

They were everyone's No. 2 favorite team for a few years. It's too bad they didn't win a title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
While we're talking about rule changes, how about the Schiano plan, replacing kickoffs with the scoring team getting the ball on its own 30 at 4th and 15? Teams would almost always elect to punt, which is safer and imo more interesting than a kickoff, and going for it works out to about the same chance a team has of recovering an onside kick.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/DanMurphyESPN/status/948307772898131968

Lame

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

While we're talking about rule changes, how about the Schiano plan, replacing kickoffs with the scoring team getting the ball on its own 30 at 4th and 15? Teams would almost always elect to punt, which is safer and imo more interesting than a kickoff, and going for it works out to about the same chance a team has of recovering an onside kick.

This is the first kickoff replacement proposal that offers an onside-esque option for a team who wants to retain possession.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

thats what you get for trying to make an exciting play. better be safe than sorry

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PostNouveau posted:

Oregon had a hot-as-hell offense back then. Why wouldn't everyone want to tune in for that? They were a loving circus for a few years; it was awesome.

Chip Kelly era Oregon is my favorite team of all time I'm just not sure that matters as much for ratings as brand name. The point about geographic diversity someone made is a good one though.

mastershakeman posted:

thats what you get for trying to make an exciting play. better be safe than sorry

Get off the internet and go recruit, Kirk

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
is gary danielson announcing the national championship game?

i hope so :D

this video is old but awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOk3ne5a9so

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

boop the snoot posted:

Nope, Danielson works for CBS and the national championship game is on ESPN.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

boop the snoot posted:

Why? Really want to watch Gary try to fit two dicks in his mouth at once?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I kinda liked Gary without Verne. Though I also only watched like two CBS games all season because the SEC was extremely butt.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Gary is much worse than Verne, Phil Simms, or anyone else

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

G-Hawk posted:

gonna be odd when UCLA fans are everywhere

There are a few here. I know A LOT of people who claim they're UCLA fans but who never speak to me about football/basketball, with the exception of last season and basketball. I dunno if my grandpa sees another title before he dies that would be cool but it just means that I'm never going to see Arizona in the Rose Bowl.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Grittybeard posted:

Not really, unless you want to get rid of ineligible downfield like we were talking about earlier (or make everyone eligible). The formation is how eligible receivers are determined.

I thought that was jersey numbers? As long as the OL is on the LOS, who cares if the WRs are on/off?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I thought that was jersey numbers? As long as the OL is on the LOS, who cares if the WRs are on/off?

Formation can affect it, which is why tackle-eligible trick plays are a thing. I think they have to declare as eligible before the play though?

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It seems to me like illegal formation came from a time where players weren't so clearly defined physically. No one now would think a left tackle could be a receiver or vice versa. They also announce whether a player is eligible or not (this might be a pros only thing), so it's not like the formation is doing any trickery. I also doubt defenders are that coached up about whether or not a receiver is eligible based on how close/far from the LOS - unless they play for the Patriots. The penalties always seem to come from a receiver being a foot farther back or forward than they should be, which IMO has no impact on the play.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Verne/Blackledge was the best SEC on CBS pairing IMO

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

the mean lunch lady posted:

It seems to me like illegal formation came from a time where players weren't so clearly defined physically. No one now would think a left tackle could be a receiver or vice versa. They also announce whether a player is eligible or not (this might be a pros only thing), so it's not like the formation is doing any trickery. I also doubt defenders are that coached up about whether or not a receiver is eligible based on how close/far from the LOS - unless they play for the Patriots. The penalties always seem to come from a receiver being a foot farther back or forward than they should be, which IMO has no impact on the play.

Most of the rules of the game evolved from someone breaking from tradition and doing something weird (and certainly disrespectful or some other bullshit no doubt said by the people of that day). The game as it was 50-100 years ago was ripe for trickery, just either nobody was smart enough or as was said they felt it was dishonorable or something so they wouldn't do it.

VT got called on an illegible man in one of the later games of the season on a 2 point conversion. I was shocked to say the least.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 3, 2018

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

VT got called on an illegible man in one of the later games of the season on a 2 point conversion. I was shocked to say the least.

Well, they have to call that. Otherwise it’d be impossible for defenses to make the right read.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kerryon Johnson gone for the draft, was not really expecting that one. The injury history is both a reason to go get money and probably a big drag on his stock.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Kerryon Johnson gone for the draft, was not really expecting that one. The injury history is both a reason to go get money and probably a big drag on his stock.

Man when he's good he's good he looks pretty good though. A guy I wouldn't mind my team drafting, but like you said not very early.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'm sad yall.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Emron posted:

Well, they have to call that. Otherwise it’d be impossible for defenses to make the right read.

nice

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Scarf posted:

I'm sad yall.

Sorry man.

I am also sad, but because i had to put my kitty, who had been with me for 14 years through both my degrees, down on Saturday evening. Get hosed 2017.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I kinda liked Gary without Verne. Though I also only watched like two CBS games all season because the SEC was extremely butt.

Gary is an extremely perceptive and persuasive color guy, but starting w the Tebow knob-slobbing that begat his torrid homoerotic love affair with Alabama he became insufferable. Just an outright love-fest from beginning to end.

The idea of listening to him gobble Nick and Kirby simultaneously for 3hrs makes me nauseous. Just thinking about the master-student references nonstop....wooooooof.

I do miss Verne though, outside of him creeping on girls in the crowd. Even when he was seemingly drunk he made the games pretty fun.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
QB Drew Barker transferring from Kentucky. Not a huge surprise, he graduated and can play somewhere immediately. He came in highly recruited but never really got a chance to show what he can do. Was second string behind Patrick Towles, won the job when Towles transferred, but got injured against Florida on the first play of his second start, leaving the way for Stephen Johnson to make a name for himself in Kentucky lore.

Spring ball will have a QB competition between redshirt sophomore Gunnar Hoak and incoming JuCo transfer/former Oregon commit Terry Wilson (who also has 3 years remaining), unless Danny Clark emerges and makes it a three way battle. Writing was on the wall that someone was leaving.

That's now two highly ranked in-state QBs that were considered recruiting wins to keep at home that have transferred their for their final year, but I don't blame either of them for seeking a guaranteed opportunity to play somewhere else. Wish Barker the best of luck wherever he lands.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

LeeMajors posted:

I do miss Verne though, outside of him creeping on girls in the crowd. Even when he was seemingly drunk he made the games pretty fun.

Lundquist, like Musburger, was more enjoyable when he seemed drunk.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

D.N. Nation posted:

Verne/Blackledge was the best SEC on CBS pairing IMO

I miss Todds Taste of the Town

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Emron posted:

If you want an image of the future, imagine a 320 pound offensive tackle blocking a free safety on play action post routes forever

I'd expect to see lots of tight end types. In practice, the 320 pound guy would never get into position fast enough to matter.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Pakled posted:

I've never been clear on how the Schiano Plan's math takes into account the possibility of a punt block. Sure, you can set X such that the chance of making 4th and X is the same as recovering an onside kick now, but the receiving team has another way of getting good field position that it didn't have before.

Other than that, it sounds good: it replaces the kickoff with something that's actual football.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vyst posted:

The moment I really knew Saban was building a juggernaut at Bama was the '08 Bama/UGA Blackout game when by the time they actually got to Todd's Taste of the Town, the game was over. Efficient.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

vyst posted:

:same:

also here is a thing

https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/948280381840678912

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

I never take pleasure in watching a man slowly kill himself. Like Leaving Las Vegas, but with sliders.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

UCF is throwing a parade and hanging a banner for their undefeated season

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

UCF is throwing a parade and hanging a banner for their undefeated season

Good

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm just sick of Alabama being a Killdozer and I want it to stop.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

QB Drew Barker transferring from Kentucky. Not a huge surprise, he graduated and can play somewhere immediately. He came in highly recruited but never really got a chance to show what he can do. Was second string behind Patrick Towles, won the job when Towles transferred, but got injured against Florida on the first play of his second start, leaving the way for Stephen Johnson to make a name for himself in Kentucky lore.

Spring ball will have a QB competition between redshirt sophomore Gunnar Hoak and incoming JuCo transfer/former Oregon commit Terry Wilson (who also has 3 years remaining), unless Danny Clark emerges and makes it a three way battle. Writing was on the wall that someone was leaving.

That's now two highly ranked in-state QBs that were considered recruiting wins to keep at home that have transferred their for their final year, but I don't blame either of them for seeking a guaranteed opportunity to play somewhere else. Wish Barker the best of luck wherever he lands.

Here's him getting knocked the gently caress out in an EKU dorm because that's the place to go right after getting into a fight at an EKU bar.

Barker was pretty terrible. I really think he has judgement issues that plague him on the field. I realize teams know he's probably going to pass if he's on the field but nobody made him throw terrible passes or not pass at all leading to all those sacks.

Stoops has been good at recruiting some of the higher rated KY players he should be pursuing but its sad that guys like Barker and Elam really failed to live up to anything close to expectations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hey guys, what's up

the mean lunch lady posted:

A chance to go deep into The Anatomy of a Game, you say? :allears:

The illegal formation rule actually dates back to before the invention of the forward pass and it does still have a very useful purpose that's only apparent once you forget about forward passes. Originally it required five players on the line; that was quickly increased to six and then to seven. The reason it was brought in was as part of the effort to get rid of mass-momentum flying-wedge plays in which everyone runs at everyone else really fast and then the defense tries to take the offense's knees out en masse and someone gets kicked in the head and dies from a fractured skull; it came in at the same time as the rule requiring all Team A players to come to a stop before the snap (1896) and settled into the familiar rule in 1910.

So, if you junk the rule, try this out as a new formation for running out of the pistol.

code:

51 52 53  53 54 99

21      40      84
---------O-----------
A40 snaps; the shield either heads left or right or straight ahead and now has 2/3/4/5/however many yards you want to give for it to build up a whole honking head of steam before making contact with the D-line; QB 10 hands off to 33 who follows the shield. (Or you could run wildcat and swap the QB out for yet more beef in the shield.) O-line/D-line collisions are already gnarly enough without giving them a huge run-up.

I suspect that what you actually want to do is dicker with the eligibility rules, not the formation rules, and I don't see a hugely compelling reason why if A40 is in as a tight end, A80 can't go on the line outside him and they're both eligible, if Team A really wants to do that. (You do need to keep the concept of ineligible by position for scrimmage kick formations, though.)

The only thing I can think of to oppose is on practicality grounds:

code:
                                 83 84
H  80 81 82    53 54 55 56 57   
Consider our friend the Head Linesman. In this formation, on any size crew, that official is responsible for calling false starts on any player up to and including A55, but especially the three receivers, a job for which they will never get any help at all. The current rule means that they have to stagger themselves somehow, like so:

code:

81 82                            84
H  80      53 54 55 56 57           83  
...and now it's much easier for the H to spot a false start. If they all stand on the line, as in the first diagram, they're all going to block the H's view of each other, and make it that much more likely that a false start is going to pass undetected. (Or maybe you take a half-step to the right to open the viewing angle up, and now the other team's star D-end gets a half-step extra before they look like they're offside...)

(PS: The guy who ejected a player for Standing In A Rude Fashion and the guy who warned the defense and then let the offense run a fake knee play can both get in the loving sea already)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 3, 2018

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm just sick of Alabama being a Killdozer and I want it to stop.

Don't worry buddy, Scott Frost is going to return Nebraska to the promised land and then you can shift your hate to them.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Noctone posted:

Don't worry buddy, Scott Frost is going to return Nebraska to the promised land and then you can shift your hate to them.

I could never hate Nebraska as much because they're responsible for one of the funniest anecdotes I've ever heard related to football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Arizona canned RichRod, lamo

• Locked thread