Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are no like likes? I didn't see any but I thought I just missed them in that vast world.

Like Likes weren't in any Zelda games between the Oracle series and LBW. They're honestly a pretty uncommon enemy at this point.

I also forgot Octoroks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
if anything, botw has taught us that many gamers aren't very good at learning or adapting to new environments, also generally refered to as "intelligence"

which comes as zero surprise to anyone with any experience in the adult world (I caught my friend putting his loving video game "expertise" in his resume, wtf)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boars will attack you. They aren’t specifically enemies but they can aggro

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

eh for the sake of the discussion i'd count anything that can aggro as an "enemy type"

did we also mention octoroks and the goopy things in the divine beasts?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm looking into this mayflash adaptor to use my Wii U pro controllers with my Switch. Does anyone know if a single adaptor can connect two controllers? I am only concerned about this to play 4 person MK8. I would love to not have to buy more Switch pro controllers.

It's one per unfortunately. I imagine you could use two adapters but I'm not sure.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

same with dogs, goaty boys, antlerheads

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Maybe seeing so many re-skinned elementals and bokoblin/moblin camps made people feel like there was less mob variety than there actuallly is

:shrug:

also I still run away from Lynels because i'm a bitch

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

How do you change your multiplayer display name in Doom? I can’t figure this out for the life of me.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Rock My Socks! posted:

How do you change your multiplayer display name in Doom? I can’t figure this out for the life of me.

It might be tied to your Nintendo account nickname. Not sure how to change it from the Switch but you can change it from the web here: https://accounts.nintendo.com/

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just missed seeing Tektites, Leevers, Dodongos, Darknuts, and other Zelda staples probably.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm glad we got a break from darknuts

more variety in general would've been good though

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

KingSlime posted:

Maybe seeing so many re-skinned elementals and bokoblin/moblin camps made people feel like there was less mob variety than there actuallly is

:shrug:

also I still run away from Lynels because i'm a bitch

It doesn't help that some monsters are a joke and aren't really considered equal to one another. Does it matter if there is a one shot to kill creature that barely ticks off one heart on a full attack? Yes, but in a bad way when there are far less overall numbers of monsters.

To me, they managed to create an almost dreamlike atmosphere by the world being oddly empty; having monster camps so close to human camps etc. Honestly what's missing from the game in terms of stats and character progression and diversity of the ecosystem would be lampooned in a PC version of the game though, to be sure. But luckily it's not that.

I think there were many areas that were worse than monster diversity. Cooking was bungled pretty badly. The game desperately needed interior spaces and caves when you consider that one of the better places in the game to visit was the Yiga Clan Hideout. I was disappointed by how samey all of the divine beat storylines were and how shrines themselves carried with them no lore at all.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 3, 2018

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Iron Knuckles would have been cool, but I can't imagine how many hits they'd take in master mode

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm glad we got a break from darknuts

...were you feeling like they were massively abundant before? They weren't in Skyward Sword, and while they are in Twilight Princess there's maybe half a dozen of them total. Wind Waker, sure, they're everywhere, but that game is fifteen years old. Were they all over Link Between Worlds or something?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

acksplode posted:

What I said was "running low on weapons pushes you to explore" and you provided two cases where people aren't running low on weapons. Yes if you avoid combat or hoard weapons because you think they're ultra precious then I guess you'll have a bad time? Don't do that perhaps

Lol truth hurts i guess

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Technically cuccos are an enemy type too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still don't know how they made a game with weapons that fall apart (and also considering you need to hit things with weapons to solve puzzles and stuff) yet not constantly aggravating like every other system like that in the history of games.
Other videogames I've seen with durability have a weapon repair mechanic, so it's just a (boring) matter of going back to whoever repairs them every now and again so you can keep using the same weapon forever. In BotW weapons are abundant so you can just switch between what your enemies are dropping most of the time. I like the mechanic a lot, particularly since it gives you a chance to fight harder areas early if you can take the equipment from the first enemy you kill.

e: I think the reason there are less of the traditional Zelda enemy types is to keep the weapon density up.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 3, 2018

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The Lynel battles are so good IMO because they feel somewhat intelligent -- not because of any complicated AI routines but more because they have a varied moveset with emotive animations... when they rear up and charge you down it makes me think "poo poo, now I've pissed him off" and when they strafe around firing arrows at you it feels like you're being hunted. I hate to be the guy making the irrelevant Dark Souls comparison but part of what defines some of the best enemy designs in that series is that fighting them feels like you're in a duel with a reactive opponent and not like you're just hacking away at a monster. And there's nothing wrong with hacking away at monsters but I do wish BotW had a few more encounters like Lynels where you actually feel like you're up against a dangerous predator

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked weapon durability because in exchange loot was more valuable

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Did BOTW really lack in enemy types compared to other games? Most games just have various humans with different clothes and weapon sets. Maybe a few special classes where you have to disarm them first before you can hit them.

Horizon had a set number of machine types, with mostly similar ways to defeat, and then a bunch of varying tribes. I wouldn't say any more diverse than BOTW, maybe just more populated.

They could have populated BOTW more with enemies, towns, NPCs, and environmental aspects like more trees and whatnot so you don't see that enemy camp from a mile away. Also, maybe a more aggressive algorithm for increasing enemy difficulty as your skills improved and number of heart containers/weapon strength went up.

Keep BOTW's engine with some tweaks, create a new game with more story content, and a more populated world and you have a masterpiece.

alf_pogs posted:

you also have the most relentless enemy of them all: rain

Truth

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Breath of the Wild feels like Nintendo's first attempt at an open world game, which it is. Much of it is innovative and novel for the franchise, but it could stand to learn more from its contemporaries in the genre.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Bloop posted:

I love BotW but I agree. A larger variety of enemy types would have been one of the few true improvements I can think of. Most suggestions amount to making it a different game.

it's been awhile since I binged it but while I agree that a lot of suggestions would have been "different game" territory, I also think there was a fair number of pet-peeve kind of things that become really glaring the longer you play just because of how much you run into situations where those minor things gently caress you up

off the top of my head:

- jumping off a platform over water forcing a dive animation and not letting you bullet time immediately (don't dive when you've got a weapon out, you moron, you complete and utter buffoon)

- dodge directions being relative to the camera at the time (specifically, analog-down+jump should have always been a backflip, analog-side+jump should have always been a side hop)

- not being able to rebind anything except "swapping jump and dash" in 2017, :cmon: (also "interact" and "parry" being on the same button, while leading to some hilarious screenshots, was fine 95% of the time but god help you with that last 5%)

- Link's perverse obsession with climbing walls and trees that you're trying to hide behind in the middle of combat

- RAIN (you can say "yeah well there's ways around it" but at a minimum tying "you can only wait at a fire" and "you can't make a fire when it's raining unless you find cover" was irritating as poo poo, especially if you were halfway up a sheer cliff with no cover nearby when the skies opened up)

- linear weapon quick-equip slots when you've got like 30 of them and no way to manually sort them or choose which ones are/aren't displayed kind of makes it pointless to have at all after a certain point

None of those make it a bad game but all of those are things that could be changed or made better without compromising what made BotW BotW

e: "not being able to summon your horse in the base game" gets an honorary mention even if it was fixed in a dlc

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 3, 2018

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Breath of the Wild feels like Nintendo's first attempt at an open world game, which it is. Much of it is innovative and novel for the franchise, but it could stand to learn more from its contemporaries in the genre.

A BOTW more like Skyrim or Assassin's Creed or whatever sounds not very good

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It definitely reassures me that nintendo is still pretty competent in making fresh and fun games that are likely to become as timeless as their other iconic stuff

a nice kick in the rear they needed to amp up their effort, given that contemporaries everywhere were pushing out endless streams of fun, innovative, and gorgeous content across all platforms for years while they stagnated in some areas (zelda is definitely one of them imo)

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You all know there is a Zelda thread you can endlessly debate this in right? Just wondering.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Raserys posted:

base skyrim arguably had a better inventory system, even if just for the fact that you could favorite specific items/abilities for easier immediate access

that's a really depressing thing I just said there

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The rain is fine.

I agree there could have been an end game set bonus or something to let you climb in rain, but it's really fine and that's basically gale. Gale+ is crazy anyway.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Welcome to 2018. The year of the dog FURRIES.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Raserys posted:

I don't disagree, but I suppose I would use the Witcher 3 as the point of comparison, and have Zelda emulate that -- my main complaint, and it is a fairly fundamental one, is that by utilizing shrines in the way that they do, the game detaches a huge portion of its gameplay from any in-game context. All of the shrines are the same aesthetic, and there's so many of them that it becomes downright grim to receive my power up tokens.

When I was playing BotW I kept being reminded of Donkey Kong 64, a game which built huge, detailed and varied worlds, but then couldn't find enough content to put in them and so you'd just have to find a mini-game barrel in order to earn your banana. What I like about the Zelda games is that there's unique and interesting things hidden everywhere, from guys hidden in the sides of mountains to talking fish passing out instruments, or having footraces with plants. I don't really need a hundred puzzle rooms in a Zelda game. What I want is one dungeon as memorable as the Skull Forest from LTTP, or a sequence as thrilling as getting the dual hookshots became in Twilight Princess. These things are present in BOTW, and I enjoyed them when I found them, but ironically by making the world as big as they did and leaning on Shrines as the main objective of the quest, BOTW feels like it has less going on then its predecessors, even while it offers you the greatest amount of freedom.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm just still confused how, and I don't mean this to put down deaf people, you can connect with any game emotionally at all without music

I mean it's fine for like playing Madden or some poo poo but I dunno what the point would even be of playing anything with like characters and a plot with no music, if you had a choice

i just wanna say, as someone very invested in video game music, its totally ok to turn that poo poo off sometimes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't disagree, but I suppose I would use the Witcher 3 as the point of comparison, and have Zelda emulate that -- my main complaint, and it is a fairly fundamental one, is that by utilizing shrines in the way that they do, the game detaches a huge portion of its gameplay from any in-game context. All of the shrines are the same aesthetic, and there's so many of them that it becomes downright grim to receive my power up tokens.

When I was playing BotW I kept being reminded of Donkey Kong 64, a game which built huge, detailed and varied worlds, but then couldn't find enough content to put in them and so you'd just have to find a mini-game barrel in order to earn your banana. What I like about the Zelda games is that there's unique and interesting things hidden everywhere, from guys hidden in the sides of mountains to talking fish passing out instruments, or having footraces with plants. I don't really need a hundred puzzle rooms in a Zelda game. What I want is one dungeon as memorable as the Skull Forest from LTTP, or a sequence as thrilling as getting the dual hookshots became in Twilight Princess. These things are present in BOTW, and I enjoyed them when I found them, but ironically by making the world as big as they did and leaning on Shrines as the main objective of the quest, BOTW feels like it has less going on then its predecessors, even while it offers you the greatest amount of freedom.

I think I agree, in general. While I think just the pure exploration in BotW is enough to make it one of the most consistently enjoyable games I've played, I really wouldn't have minded if the number of shrines was cut in half and the puzzles from the cut shrines got reconfigured into a few complex dungeons with different aesthetic themes. BotW has great puzzle mechanics, but it never really has a chance to iterate on them or ramp up the complexity with a series of related puzzle ideas all coming together. There are a couple of shrines that do a smaller version of that, and they're universally my favorite shrines.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I hope the next Zelda is to BotW what Majora's Mask is to Ocarina. The world they built is so wonderful I'll gladly take it again if they spend time developing stories and puzzles and stuff for it instead of a whole new thing

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

This is long, so I will ask the overall question first so you can skip the book of an explanation of my scenario: Does Mario Kart 8 kick you out of online races if you do not enter any inputs after a certain amount of time?

So one of my siblings and I got my niece/sister/brother-in-law a Switch for xmas. So we were playing online play for MK8D: 2 people on their Switch, my nearly 3yr old and I on my Switch (she just holds the accelerate button down while it does the auto-steer/bumper thing) and my other sibling on their Switch a few time zones away, just doing a friend-only 5 person race.

I kept getting kicked out of the races with a "communication error" even though my Switch and my niece's Switch were on the same wifi and my Switch was getting 9mbps down and 5 up (I think my parents have 15/15 or 20/20 internet). Then on New Year's Eve when I was back home, we were all playing again online and my Switch kept getting kicked off the race with a communication error (I use a lan adapter while docked at my house and it was getting 14.9Mbps down and 5up even though my internet is 100/100, but I assume that is a limitation of my usb adapter or something).

If I raced by myself, no issue. But if I had a 2nd player (namely my nearly 3yr old kid), I got kicked off. So I changed it from using the left joycon (she loves the neon red color) to my gray right joycon since I know there were connections issues with left joycons and that seemed to help at first (even though my kid was standing a few feet from the TV instead of the usually 10ft back where my couch is). My wife started racing at that point and things were fine for multiple races, then my kid jumped on my wife and poked her eye, so my wife dropped the joycon between cushions in the couch to grab her face/eye and a few moments later (maybe 20 seconds or so) we got kicked out again.

So I tried doing a manual disconnect by hitting the sync button on the joycon mid-race so it powers down, but MK8 just brought up a reconnect controller screen. So I tried it again with a pro controller in one hand and a joycon in the other holding down the accelerate button. Then in the third lap, so I know the connection was ok, I put the joycon down with no button presses and about 20-30 seconds later it kicked me out.

I am sure my kid sometimes doesn't press down on the button enough and her finger often slips off without her realizing. So I can see her racing and not doing any inputs for 20+ seconds.

I can see this being a built-in feature so you don't do 2-player online and leave one racer to do nothing to help pad your wins by having 1 less competitive opponent. But why wouldn't they explicitly say that its a controller issue for the disconnect? My first reaction was some network issue with my Switch or MK8.

Or maybe it was just coincidence and is really a MK8 network issue when I do 2 player? I know a lot of people had complaints about getting disconnected a lot but whenever I did single player online, I never got disconnected, so this was a first.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 3, 2018

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So the Dragon Quest game that is anticipated is not this Minecraft clone, I guess?

(Was looking through their list of upcoming games.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Knorth posted:

I hope the next Zelda is to BotW what Majora's Mask is to Ocarina. The world they built is so wonderful I'll gladly take it again if they spend time developing stories and puzzles and stuff for it instead of a whole new thing

Agreed. They made so many assets and such a cool set of physics systems to work with that it’d make sense to reuse a lot of them in another game. Polish up some things, change focus a bit, and tell a cool side story unrelated to the usual Triforce cycle.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Yes, it disconnects after about half a minute of no input as you surmised. I remember this from a Jimquistion in April where Jim specifically tested the smart steering and auto acceleration online.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

The Lobster posted:

Yes, it disconnects after about half a minute of no input as you surmised. I remember this from a Jimquistion in April where Jim specifically tested the smart steering and auto acceleration online.

Awesome, thanks!

Jet Jaguar posted:

So the Dragon Quest game that is anticipated is not this Minecraft clone, I guess?

(Was looking through their list of upcoming games.)

Builders is coming out in Feb, and then at some point DQ XI is slated to come out on the Switch (who knows if in NA, I hope so). I know they had just ported DQ7 and DQ8 to the 3DS, but I would love a DQ8 port on the Switch.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 3, 2018

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Just finished all of the BotW DLC. The trials were really satisfying to complete, adrenaline was pumping a bit on the last floor. Was kind of worried about the champions ballad stuff at first but glad to see it opened up and had a lot of content. Did all sidequests, all shrines and all DLC... BZOAT

Time to go back to SMO to get dem moons.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Sooooo... that Zelda DLC final boss... Did not see that coming. Loved it though and it was tough as balls. I don't understand the people who hated the DLC because all things considered I thought it added quite a bit of content to the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

The Lynel battles are so good IMO because they feel somewhat intelligent -- not because of any complicated AI routines but more because they have a varied moveset with emotive animations... when they rear up and charge you down it makes me think "poo poo, now I've pissed him off" and when they strafe around firing arrows at you it feels like you're being hunted. I hate to be the guy making the irrelevant Dark Souls comparison but part of what defines some of the best enemy designs in that series is that fighting them feels like you're in a duel with a reactive opponent and not like you're just hacking away at a monster. And there's nothing wrong with hacking away at monsters but I do wish BotW had a few more encounters like Lynels where you actually feel like you're up against a dangerous predator

Nah lynels are as bad as every other enemy because you can disable them over and over

• Locked thread