Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whaaaaat the gently caress. That’s rad.

(I hope they come to PC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s probably the lamest possible result of the hype that built up over it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

New Japan integration in the story mode as well—the screenshot online says you can create a new wrestler and build them into IWGP champion, joining factions along the way (with an image of Gedo saying "You want to join CHAOS?! But the level is different, you twerp!").

Looks like it's not just wrestlers, the ring and mat design is licensed and accurate, as well as the ringside areas. Wonder if that means they'll have Dome/Korakuen/Osaka Castle Hall/small show setups licensed with NJPW. They're also showing off entrances (I'm not watching a stream, just Lariato's twitter feed) so I wonder if the music will be licensed.

the English tweet makes me hope they're also including all of this for the releases outside Japan, but it's all saying "PS4" so far so not sure it'll come to Steam as well.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

harperdc posted:

the English tweet makes me hope they're also including all of this for the releases outside Japan, but it's all saying "PS4" so far so not sure it'll come to Steam as well.

Maybe they're planning for the PS4 release to be global? Bestill my beating heart...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Maybe they're planning for the PS4 release to be global? Bestill my beating heart...

so their Spike/Chunsoft Fire Pro account tweeted that out in English, with the Japanese title card including all the NJPW logos and wrestlers. It does have the Steam logo, but it says PS4版 aka "PS4 Edition" soooo.

I think it'll be global, but I'm not as convinced the licensed stuff will make it to the Steam version. Still a possibility.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

overthefalls posted:

May be of interest to some... (if SA will let me embed a tweet...)

https://twitter.com/sc_prowrestling/status/948407276745900032

New Japan in Firepro.

Called it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804160&pagenumber=134&perpage=40#post479667783

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

harperdc posted:

so their Spike/Chunsoft Fire Pro account tweeted that out in English, with the Japanese title card including all the NJPW logos and wrestlers. It does have the Steam logo, but it says PS4版 aka "PS4 Edition" soooo.

I think it'll be global, but I'm not as convinced the licensed stuff will make it to the Steam version. Still a possibility.

There's no point in making it for one and then not the other.

Besides, if that ever was the case, it'd be available in the Steam workshop like two weeks before it hit PS4 anyway.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

harperdc posted:

The director has tweeted that it'll come to the Steam version in some form around the same time as the PS4 release.
https://twitter.com/tomozou_kantoku/status/948468944578293761

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

On the one hand, the official edits are always tuned for player vs ai, and as such are typically pretty bad for simming, but on the other hand, it does at least give people a good baseline for point values and stuff. It's cool. Wonder if they will get official themes or classic Firepro soundalikes?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I've always wondered, with the prior games and now with this NJPW content - do you think they use tools similar to the edit tools to make their characters?

Or are they custom designed/programmed?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
In Fire Pro news that maybe it's just me, but for me? is even more exciting than the NJPW license is that Carlzilla has updated his mod suite to include match booking - you can now choose the winner and the finish (finishing move/DQ/Count Out/Time Limit Draw). :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Why does WWE Champions have to be a very good concept of a game done by such a lovely company.... :smith:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Borrowed Ladder posted:

In Fire Pro news that maybe it's just me, but for me? is even more exciting than the NJPW license is that Carlzilla has updated his mod suite to include match booking - you can now choose the winner and the finish (finishing move/DQ/Count Out/Time Limit Draw). :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

Oh that'll be fun.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Carlzilla has updated his mod suite to include match booking - you can now choose the winner and the finish (finishing move/DQ/Count Out/Time Limit Draw). :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

I was supposed to get work done tonight.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Kins posted:

The director has tweeted that it'll come to the Steam version in some form around the same time as the PS4 release.
https://twitter.com/tomozou_kantoku/status/948468944578293761

I didn’t see that yesterday but yeah it confirms the Steam version will get a New Japan DLC pack. Glad it’s coming to both versions.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
rented 2k18 from a Redbox today, and goddamn is this game clunky as hell with the controls, like not a single thing so far has been remotely clear on what the gently caress am I supposed to do, like I have no idea what anything does, and this is from being in the loving tutorial, what the gently caress is with this genre of game and having opaque loving mechanics and controls that make no loving sense(seriously Fire Pro wasn't any more sensible)

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

harperdc posted:

I didn’t see that yesterday but yeah it confirms the Steam version will get a New Japan DLC pack. Glad it’s coming to both versions.

There's a lot of DLC coming for this game, but if the DLC over the course of this year and going forward brings the game's price up to 60 bucks I won't be bothered in the slightest. This is the first time in over a decade where I've felt totally satisfied with a wrestling game purchase. It's refreshing.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I've not played a wrasslin' game in several years, but I'm just seeing the massive chunk of WWE themes and albums on Spotify and I'm wondering if this could somehow be the solution to getting all the right theme songs into every game for everybody you could ever want to create.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
According to the NJPW site, the Story Mode in the DLC will be based around NJPW's 2017.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, so you work your way up from young lion to challenging Okada at WK, except he's hardcoded to always kick out at 2.9 and can't be knocked out or submit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Time travel subplot where you're catapulted to the days of Inoki-ism and have to work Gruesome matches

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Let Suda write it and it's likely you will be taking the Shibata role in the storyline.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Let Suda write it and it's likely you will be taking the Shibata role in the storyline.

In a shocking swerve, Fire Pro is secretly No More Heroes 3 and the story mode ends/begins with Travis Touchdown beheading Gedo.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Fire Pro Wrestling and NJPW togther, one step closer to King Of Colosseum 3!

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Time travel subplot where you're catapulted to the days of Inoki-ism and have to work Gruesome matches

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Maxwell Lord posted:

Spend years as crappy midcarder, get a worked MMA win over a K1 guy, and earn an instant IWGP title run?

Sounds way better than 2k18's career mode. And everything else in 2k18.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I wonder what type of branching paths will be available in a 2017 story mode. If you're a young lion how are you going to face Okada at WK in your rookie year? Do you have to win the G1? If you lose the G1 do you face Jericho?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I wonder what type of branching paths will be available in a 2017 story mode. If you're a young lion how are you going to face Okada at WK in your rookie year? Do you have to win the G1? If you lose the G1 do you face Jericho?

all roads lead to yujiro

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
The bad ending is when you take the deal from Madman Musci of WFW.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Maybe you're a young lion back from excursion and debuting your new gimmick, hence why you make a dude in character creation?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I miss dumb modes like hangman mode in Attitude

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, so you work your way up from young lion to challenging Okada at WK, except he's hardcoded to always kick out at 2.9 and can't be knocked out or submit.

Years ago I remember reading that in the Fire Pro games that certain characters do have "hidden" attributes or abilities to them. Vader was a critical monster, Benoit couldn't be critical'd, and I'm pretty sure that Riki Choshu couldn't be beaten by cruiserweights. Okada being unbeatable by Young Lions could be possible.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Just so we're clear.
"Young Lions" is just what we call them in English yes?
The actual translation is closer to "Young Boy" but we don't use that because it's kinda creepy.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Just so we're clear.
The actual translation is closer to "Young Boy" but we don't use that because it's kinda creepy.

My guess is that the two are relatively interchangeable as to what they mean but that Young Lion is more respectful and also is a reference to the logo of the company. I also doubt that the the Young Lions cup is actually the Young Boy cup in Japanese.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ChrisBTY posted:

Just so we're clear.
At some point before I was familiar with how the Japan side of the industry worked Youtube recommended to me some no-talent smark youtube thing that was all about YOUNG BOYS and Gedo's YOUNG BOYS and he was very invested in using the term

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hoss Corncave posted:

Benoit couldn't be critical'd

He sure went out of his way to prove them wrong, didn't he?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

C. Everett Koop posted:

He sure went out of his way to prove them wrong, didn't he?

:drat:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Suda51 being a guest writer for the Fire Pro mode would be an amazing callback to the start of his career though I'm not sure the devs would be ok with an ending where you kill yourself

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

DLC Inc posted:

Suda51 being a guest writer for the Fire Pro mode would be an amazing callback to the start of his career though I'm not sure the devs would be ok with an ending where you kill yourself

Before the NJPW deal was announced the Fire Pro devs were torn between the management mode they eventually went with and a fictional story mode they would call Suda51 in to write. He was specifically namedropped lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Spike Chunsoft had a live stream today on Twitch where they made some announcements:

-New update released tomorrow with some new moves: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTO01hYVwAEqFVL.jpg:large
-Promoter Mode will be released late January or early February.
-You'll need a minimum of 4 promotions with 6 wrestlers to start Promoter mode. 24 total wrestlers.
-NJPW DLC is coming around G1 Climax - mid-July.
-Story mode will entail with you starting as a Young Lion, fighting your way to the top of championship. It will have branching paths, similar to Story Mode in Fire Pro G.
-PS4 version of Fire Pro World's gonna have all the DLC included