Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Memento posted:

who actually died?

Patrick Bateman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Memento posted:

who actually died?

jason statham

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
David Mitchell

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Some white guy

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If we're going to post Twitter stuff in here, can we maybe do ones that aren't signs of dementia and constant reminders that America is going to burn?

Here's my contribution.

https://twitter.com/classicryan17/status/948311385657827330

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Jamesman posted:

If we're going to post Twitter stuff in here, can we maybe do ones that aren't signs of dementia and constant reminders that America is going to burn?

Here's my contribution.

https://twitter.com/classicryan17/status/948311385657827330

People haveing stupid fun on the internet ^

People stupidly about to get us all killed on the internet \/
https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/948413654558527488

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Holy poo poo we're gonna die

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Scathach posted:

Well think about that for a second. If you can keep the Russians and Chinese out of a nuclear exchange (reasonably likely), North Korea only has a few nukes, and the targeting systems they run with probably have a CEP the length of Maryland. You personally probably won't die unless you're one of the unlucky people on the West Coast that happens to be underneath the essentially random place that it lands.

This is a map with an overlay of the damage caused by a 300kt weapon, which is the estimated yield of their only missile-deliverable warhead (they can't lob thermonuclear warheads yet, they're a lot more complicated). So it'll probably only kill a third of a million people and produce a little under 900k casualties. You're looking at 0.1% deaths per warhead, and 0.3% casualties. If they have half a dozen, they don't even hit 2% casualties assuming they get all of them into densely populated areas.

You'll probably be fine!

Until the radiation gets you.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Memento posted:

Well think about that for a second. If you can keep the Russians and Chinese out of a nuclear exchange (reasonably likely), North Korea only has a few nukes, and the targeting systems they run with probably have a CEP the length of Maryland. You personally probably won't die unless you're one of the unlucky people on the West Coast that happens to be underneath the essentially random place that it lands.

This is a map with an overlay of the damage caused by a 300kt weapon, which is the estimated yield of their only missile-deliverable warhead (they can't lob thermonuclear warheads yet, they're a lot more complicated). So it'll probably only kill a third of a million people and produce a little under 900k casualties. You're looking at 0.1% deaths per warhead, and 0.3% casualties. If they have half a dozen, they don't even hit 2% casualties assuming they get all of them into densely populated areas.

You'll probably be fine!

Great. If SF is hit, Silicon Valley should still be ok, but Berkeley is turbofucked.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Y'all could just nuke silicon valley yourselves. Push back the robot apocalypse by a century. Stop President Zuckerberg before he's even in office.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Isn't the San Andreas Fault going to dump it all in the ocean anyway?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

Looks like a mongoose.

Isn't that a badger?
African badgers are known for being particularly psychotic, even among mustelids.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Memento posted:

You'll probably be fine!

Over here in San Diego we’ve got the Pacific Fleet, so I guess NK has a 50% chance of nuking Mexico instead?

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

CommunityEdition posted:

Over here in San Diego we’ve got the Pacific Fleet, so I guess NK has a 50% chance of nuking Mexico instead?

Congratulations on figuring out Trump's master plan.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They'll have to build that wall, to keep out all the muties.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Scathach posted:

Anything to enter the Kingdom of Heaven faster is good, if you ask me.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I work for the Hawaii state Department of Defense, so I've gotten briefings on NK's nuclear capability, given that we're probably the most likely target of the 50 states.

The take-home message is "we're preparing just in case, but also don't worry too much about it." They will not be able to hit a target, even in the immensely unlikely scenario that a) their missile survives the trip there and b) they successfully detonate the nuclear payload at the correct altitude. All discussions of how many people would die apply only to this scenario in which literally everything goes right for them without even testing. They could probably hit Seoul or Tokyo spot on, given how close they are, so that's something to worry about, but the US is at the rear end end of their range, which would heavily affect their accuracy. If they fire at Puerto Rico or Hawaii they will almost certainly hit ocean instead.

What I'm saying is don't tie yourself in knots over incoming white hot death. It has the potential to be pretty bad but NK is also stunningly backwards re: their military technology.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
There's a reason "rocket science" is the cliche term for something really, really hard. And NK doesn't have ex-Nazis to help them with their missile program like we did. Even from a layperson perspective, if you know a bit about missiles and Cold War weapons history, it seems pretty clear that NK's nuclear capability is all bluster and no substance.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gromit posted:

No. Even the biggest earthquake on the SA fault would only shift the landmass on the western side of it a low double-digit number of meters. This flattens every single building and elevated road in LA, mind you. It just doesn't do a lot to the actual geography.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The funny pictures thread is talking about nuclear doom. :(

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Animal-Mother posted:

The funny pictures thread is talking about nuclear doom. :(

No thats the president

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's Seattle that's Turbo hosed by a future earthquake

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Goodpancakes posted:

It's Seattle that's Turbo hosed by a future earthquake

Yeah liquefaction ain't no joke.

Also it will probably end up delaminating enough overburden from various local volcanoes that will cook off.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't that a badger?
African badgers are known for being particularly psychotic, even among mustelids.

I don't get why the lion just takes it. Is it like humans and geese

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honey badgers will bite your balls off

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Honey badgers will bite your balls off

They were lionesses tho, lionesses don't got balls. They would have been fine.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hjalmar posted:

You forgot the punchline. 15 minutes later he posts

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948359545767841792

Protip, news orgs: if you win one of these, it means you're doing a good job.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Alter Ego posted:

Protip, news orgs: if you win one of these, it means you're doing a good job.

The prize is a second scoop of icecream.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

It's a good tool song.

Or if you prefer the San Andreas has been bent out of shape for I dunno a few years? and crunched off a bit.

Antarctic ice shelf inundating all coastal cities with 11' of water could be fun though?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Slime posted:

One of them ain't

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Memento posted:

You'll probably be fine!

Good thing the crack team of magic teenagers can infiltrate the NKs silos and set the error ratio, handily accessed and changed through a simple console, to very high numbers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Slime posted:

Did you just assume that lions gender?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phlegmish posted:

I don't get why the lion just takes it. Is it like humans and geese

Successful predators prefer to take prey when it hasn't got all it's pointy bits aimed at your face. Getting your face bitten is no fun. It hurts, it is gonna swell up, and depending on where the bite is on your face it could make it hard to eat or see for a few days. You could even get a fatal infection. (Sure, lions don't know germ theory, but these lions are descended from the ones who didn't die of easily avoidable infections.) Why take the risk of a painful injury for no benefit?

They are also cats, so if they aren't particularly hungry it's more interesting to play with the tiny thing than kill it. Though sometimes that means losing your dinner to a loving velociraptor
https://i.imgur.com/Dz3Cx2c.gifv

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Someone tilted the cartridge when that chicken tried to eat.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Did you just assume that lions gender?

It's really the hyenas that have uh, well cool gender stufff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZClu1JWuPY

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

syscall girl posted:

It's really the hyenas that have uh, well cool gender stufff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZClu1JWuPY

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

They are also cats, so if they aren't particularly hungry it's more interesting to play with the tiny thing than kill it. Though sometimes that means losing your dinner to a loving velociraptor
https://i.imgur.com/Dz3Cx2c.gifv

I never imagined chicken instinctively know how to kill a prey (I know they are tiny raptors but still).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I never imagined chicken instinctively know how to kill a prey (I know they are tiny raptors but still).

A bird that can't kill rodents is a bird that gets all it's eggs and young eaten by rodents. Nature red in tooth and claw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo