Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mundrial Mantis posted:

How common are strategic resources in a standard galaxy, specifically teldar crystals which boost kinetic damage? And if the AI empires have access to the damage-boosting strategic resources, will they build and upgrade their fleets with that in mind? I have 16 units of teldar crystals and I am thinking of ways to use them as a bargaining chip/leash on the other empires.

I've only had the game for a few weeks but it definitely seems like it puts strategic resources in clusters of the same time to encourage trading/hoarding. I've had multiple games where all the teldar crystals in the game are sitting in a small-medium sized empire cluster of stars with none anywhere else in the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Squibbles posted:

I've only had the game for a few weeks but it definitely seems like it puts strategic resources in clusters of the same time to encourage trading/hoarding. I've had multiple games where all the teldar crystals in the game are sitting in a small-medium sized empire cluster of stars with none anywhere else in the galaxy.

Yeah, I found instances of other people finding out that they are sitting on a strategic resource mine once they finished the research. I lucked out in having so many units nestled at the heart of my territory.

Since I only need access to one unit to get the entire bonus for my empire and can trade my surplus, I was wondering how the AI reacts to that fact. Basically try to manipulate the AI empires to use counters to kinetics but also use a lot more kinetic weapons themselves if their own empire has access to the strategic resource. But so far it is a bunch of trade offers.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The AI will definitely enter into trade deals to secure strategic resources, so if you have a surplus of a resource that's a good spot to be in. I don't think we know if the AI will alter its ship designs to take advantage of bonuses that it gets from strategic resources, but I kinda doubt it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
When you are surveying in the early game keep an eye out for planets with one engineering and one society research , they almost always end up having a strategic resource.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Arven posted:

When you are surveying in the early game keep an eye out for planets with one engineering and one society research , they almost always end up having a strategic resource.

This is good to know. That Beltharian stone is a huge boost if you can find it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

panascope posted:

This is good to know. That Beltharian stone is a huge boost if you can find it.

The Beltarian Stone is a little different, as are the Xeno Pets resource, as they are the only 'strategic' resources that can still be found on a habitable planet. A year or so back - I don't quite remember when - the strategic resources underwent a major rework and one of the major changes was space coal now doesn't show up in the list of strategic resources as the benefit it now offers is planet specific and you can only build the special building on that one tile. It will also never show up on an uninhabitable planet.

Some of the other strategic resources also have specific prerequisites such as needing to be in a nebula or on a planet in orbit around a certain type of star but all can be found in space.

Platonicsolid posted:

My current game appears to lack living metal, which is a real disappointment. I wish there were a way to search or highlight the map for strategic resources. Also good to know what to war over.

Strategic resources tend to 'clump' together in certain parts of the galaxy so you may not have any in your immediate vicinity. If the AI hasn't bothered researching the necessary tech or is already trading their surplus away it may be difficult to spot who has what unless you've gone through and surveyed every planet yourself. I don't know if it's possible to generate a galaxy that completes misses a resource but if you did get that unlucky but haven't had a crisis yet you maybe god will smile down on you and trigger the Contingency. Each defeated Sterilization Hub spawns a source of Living Metal.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 1, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

My current game appears to lack living metal, which is a real disappointment. I wish there were a way to search or highlight the map for strategic resources. Also good to know what to war over.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

You're platonic solid, not platonic intelligent liquid.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Doing an inward perfection/pacifist run. Was gonna be a one-planet run, but...

Got the Horizon Signal within the first ten years.
The five closest planets are all 60%+ habitability, 20+ tiles, and all have alien pets or bentharian stone.
Except the four tomb worlds of 23+ size, which are all also awesome.
Event chains have given me three cruisers before 2220.

Looks like the game plan is now "grab territory with frontier outposts, expand to every big planet, embrace the worm, shift to militarist, conquer the gently caress out of the galaxy"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ConfusedUs posted:

Doing an inward perfection/pacifist run. Was gonna be a one-planet run, but...

Got the Horizon Signal within the first ten years.
The five closest planets are all 60%+ habitability, 20+ tiles, and all have alien pets or bentharian stone.
Except the four tomb worlds of 23+ size, which are all also awesome.
Event chains have given me three cruisers before 2220.

Looks like the game plan is now "grab territory with frontier outposts, expand to every big planet, embrace the worm, shift to militarist, conquer the gently caress out of the galaxy"

Please tell me you play as a nation of space bees.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bog standard Maweer Caretakers (tree people) sadly, but one of the Worm events mutated half my population to those ugly fungus blobs with roots sticking out at odd angles.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Hmm, noticing my fanatic egalitarian humans are getting a temporary -20% 'Owned Pop Emancipated' malus when my robots turned into droids. Can't imagine that's intentional.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Would you be happy if your toaster left you?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
You can avoid that by just singing some Jackie Wilson to it now & again.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So are there any good mods for increasing research speed?

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Jacque Pott posted:

Yup, that's exactly the niche I wanted to fill with the elitists. They're "luxury for us, not for you" colonialists. They want you to build up an underclass of aliens and exploit them for your founding species' benefit.

How do I get the Elitists happy enough to produce influence? Game doesn't seem to recognize I uplifted and enslaved some aliens just to make them happy...

Edit) Just checked, the authoritarian faction has its pro-slavery issued fufiled.

Yadoppsi fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 2, 2018

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I started a new game today and got three derilect cruiser events that all led to me losing three level 4 scientists. Ugh.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

How do I embed tweets

Anyway Wiz said in a tweet that assault armies can now garrison planets but they don't get defensive bonuses or something

Here is a link I hope it embeds. If not then forgive and bless up

https://mobile.twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/948157558874927104

Hey it worked here is the comic it is a reply too

https://mobile.twitter.com/longgameshort/status/947936094938681344

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If there was a galaxy filled entirely with anime people who had no arms I'd let the Prethoryn devour it, too.

With no bonuses I'm not sure why you would want to keep assault armies on a planet since it sounds like you'll just get them killed. Your best bet is still chasing off whatever fleet is in orbit so your enemy can't attack at all.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Those birds are default portraits tho.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

They can bombard your assault armies to death, but they'll also be wrecking their own populace. Presumably that has happiness penalties as well as the direct effects

Glad they changed it tho, it was a bit silly.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

GorfZaplen posted:

Is it worth the effort to destroy enemy mining and research stations in systems I'm not trying to win?

If you're not taking the territory the stations are in, fuckem up. It's nothing for war score, but it'll poo poo all over their economy to keep them down for the next expansion war.

If you're not planning another expansion war, it'll beat their asses back far enough that you won't have to worry about them coming back at you at any point in the near future.

So yeah, break every run down piece of poo poo station in their territory. Except the frontier outposts that aren't directly affecting your borders, let them keep wasting influence on those.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hunt11 posted:

So are there any good mods for making research worthwhile?

FTFY.

One of the biggest issues with the game is that they want you to build "tall" which is terrible in a 4X. Great for a grand strategy but there is nothing grand about this strategy.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Oh yeah baby I took over a fallen empire with most of their huge military stations intact, seems like they lost a lot of fleet power tho?? They went from 30k to 19k. That's annoying but still way better than my fortresses. So now I've got a ton of new rich worlds and I have to get up in 4 hours yay

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

gowb posted:

Oh yeah baby I took over a fallen empire with most of their huge military stations intact, seems like they lost a lot of fleet power tho?? They went from 30k to 19k. That's annoying but still way better than my fortresses. So now I've got a ton of new rich worlds and I have to get up in 4 hours yay

Fallen Empires have a lot of repeatable techs boosting the power of their ships and stations. If you don't have as many, then the power will naturally drop.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

AG3 posted:

Fallen Empires have a lot of repeatable techs boosting the power of their ships and stations. If you don't have as many, then the power will naturally drop.

Spoiler you will never have as many

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/948530908168105984

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Dammit marten we already knew that you idiot!!!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It's worth repeating, that always drove me crazy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Next 482 tweets are the same tweets with slightly different wording/phrases.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Just realized I've never played a democracy / oligarchy, I guess I'm just a fascist at heart. What recommends those gov types over dictators and monarchs? Maybe I'll save it for a 2.0 game but my beloved celestial empire...

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

gowb posted:

Just realized I've never played a democracy / oligarchy, I guess I'm just a fascist at heart. What recommends those gov types over dictators and monarchs? Maybe I'll save it for a 2.0 game but my beloved celestial empire...

Democracies can farm piles of influence, but the frequency of elections is a bit of a hassle.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gowb posted:

As a democracy you never have to worry about influence and with the right choices in empire creation you can basically spam high level leaders.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/948582338388250624

Wonder what that planet modifier means...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Probably "occupied by the empire with that flag"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Those planet modifiers are "capital planet" and "occupied".

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Huh, guess I just never noticed the "occupied" modifier before.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

gowb posted:

Democracies get a ton of influence if you complete the elected leader's mini-quest before the next election (every 10 years), which is either build 4 mining stations or 4 research stations.

Oligarchs don't get the influence bump, and have elections every 20 years instead of 10, but all have different agendas, which are basically an extra passive bonus.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Korgan posted:

Spoiler you will never have as many

They only have 5 of each I think, so while you'll probably never have as many total getting 5 of the relevant repeating techs (so not the garbage ones like -5% leader cost, or +5% attack speed or damage for weapon types you're not using anyway) isn't impossible. I had 10 of the +5% shield hp tech once (admittedly with the low-planet cheese).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

MilkmanLuke posted:

Democracies can farm piles of influence

Until they become decedent and degenerate societies in need of cultural revival under a strong leader build out all their space-based resources.

Are we going to see some new mandates in the new patch?

• Locked thread