Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man I feel drat good about the poo poo I just pulled. Me and the Mongols been eyeballing each other for like three decades while they slowly spread across the map. They got as far as gobbling up the Byzantines and southern Italy. The whole time they're skirting around my holdings in the steppes, I assume because I can raise nearly 100k troops and there's much softer targets than me. Well a new Khagan took over and I checked the plot chance on him, as is my habit and discovered that with a liberal use of my riches I could get a decent plot going and had him killed. I also succeeded in having the next three Khagans killed, thus extinguishing Genghis' entire line :black101:.

This also had the side effect of utterly shattering their empire, so no more Mongol threat! And with the Islamic world already gutted by my rise to power and the Byzantines being completely broken up by the Mongols I'm the baddest motherfucker in the world now by a margin of like 50k troops.

E: I think pretty soon I'm gonna gently caress up China for hell of it.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Technowolf posted:

So... How would one do this?

1 Be able to raid and independent
2. Be in diplo range of china
3. Have no peace deals with them
4. press button with sword in china diplomatic screen and click raid.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 3, 2018

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks, I haven't messed with the sword button yet.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Is the China dlc worth getting off sale or is it as bad or worse than monks and mystics. Does it even have any relevance if you mostly play in Europe?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

gowb posted:

Does it even have any relevance if you mostly play in Europe?

No, but personally it helped push me out of my European comfort bubble and finally take a whack at merchant republics.

Trying out merchant republics, muslims and in China range all for the first time has been... rough.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What's wrong with Monks n' Mystics DLC?

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Groogy posted:

Hey so just curious, any of you guys gotten the Zoroastrian Holy "Dog" kind of events?

I've gotten that event once. Wound up with a pet hedgehog. I spent a minute afterwards wondering just how a hedgehog counts as a dog, but the health benefits of owning one are a nice little bonus.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Hey so just curious, any of you guys gotten the Zoroastrian Holy "Dog" kind of events?
No, but it's been a long time since I played Zoroastrians

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's wrong with Monks n' Mystics DLC?

The society part of the DLC was a big letdown. Depending on religion, you might have access to like 1 or 2 reskinned societies. Hermetics are the real super star after Satanism got (justly) tuned down. Monastic orders at least let you toggle celebacy, which is the only thing of note. They are super forgettable, much like the college of Cardinals.

All the stuff not involving that selling point are pretty good, but not worth the cost by themselves. Artifacts can be super strong. The fourth counselor jobs are pretty decent. Mass prisoner actions and allied army commands are a great QOL change if you war a lot.

Edit: forgot about the Assassins, which are only available if you are Shia. They are cool as well. Societies are very useful if you are a paint the map sort of guy. I'm not, so I don't use them all that often.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 3, 2018

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

You can now become an Assassin and secret SHia if you're close enough to a shia ruler too, which is nice.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The monastic orders are pretty good for getting positive traits and piety, which meshes pretty well with some things, like the dharmic religions.

I've gotten a few holy relics from them too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the thing about M&M is that people were just expecting it to be more than it was. It's basically a Way of Life "extra stuff to do when you're waiting for interesting things to happen" expansion, but what people were expecting was like "medieval conspiracy theory simulator" where you join up with some secret society and slowly expand their influence across Europe, using said influence to get relatives appointed powerful positions in various leaders' courts, and so on. You can sort of do that as a Satanist but there aren't really any "non-magical" ways to achieve the same thing, and non-Christians barely get any societies to join, period. I guess maybe Paradox were hoping modders would jump on the framework they included with the patch to add more societies to the game but that it seems like nobody really took much of an interest in doing that.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The hilariously frustrating part is yet again, W. Africans got the shaft. No societies at all.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I kind of agree, what would be great GREAT would be some societies for martial/diplo/steward stuff.

Like a society for martial warriors of each religion, maybe one that only activates when you get the great holy warriors so you can bro around being a knight/crusader fighting stuff. Heck have one for christians/orthodox in the west as questing knights and then a bunch crusade type related. Be a good way to look for the holy grail and poo poo.

a Court based society that lets you build favors and alliances so you can smack down on fools would be cool.

And like an explorers guild to brave the great unknown for stewardship.

Really cool opportunities missed there.

Also my Taoist godqueen got immortal... which is +25 relations in the religion since being immortal is loving awesome like that.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

A dynamic society system to simulate the various chivalric orders different nations made up would be cool.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
While things like W Africa would be cool, them not being much makes a certain amount of sense.

On the other hand, investiture and the College of Cardinals being minor enough to be ignored is criminal since those were key things in W Europe.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

CassandraSupreme posted:

While things like W Africa would be cool, them not being much makes a certain amount of sense.

On the other hand, investiture and the College of Cardinals being minor enough to be ignored is criminal since those were key things in W Europe.

Politiking the pope would be cool.

I am...highly tempted to convert to norse and go raiding until I have the sea-queen trait for hilarity... I would need to befriend a vikings though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

EightDeer posted:

I've gotten that event once. Wound up with a pet hedgehog. I spent a minute afterwards wondering just how a hedgehog counts as a dog, but the health benefits of owning one are a nice little bonus.

Under Zoroastrianism basically everything is a dog. Except for cats who are demonic snakes that are shaped like dogs to fool us.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

AtomikKrab posted:

Politiking the pope would be cool.

I am...highly tempted to convert to norse and go raiding until I have the sea-queen trait for hilarity... I would need to befriend a vikings though.

Like, the old Merchant Republic game (which was awesome at the time) shouldn't have better Pope mechanics than CK2. Though killing people in China so you can be elected Doge is always a good move and one that CK2 have just recently allowed . . .

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I am hella PEEVED posted:

The society part of the DLC was a big letdown. Depending on religion, you might have access to like 1 or 2 reskinned societies. Hermetics are the real super star after Satanism got (justly) tuned down. Monastic orders at least let you toggle celebacy, which is the only thing of note. They are super forgettable, much like the college of Cardinals.

All the stuff not involving that selling point are pretty good, but not worth the cost by themselves. Artifacts can be super strong. The fourth counselor jobs are pretty decent. Mass prisoner actions and allied army commands are a great QOL change if you war a lot.

Edit: forgot about the Assassins, which are only available if you are Shia. They are cool as well. Societies are very useful if you are a paint the map sort of guy. I'm not, so I don't use them all that often.

Yeah it's this. Got burned on M&M and wanting to get back into ck2 but a bit gunshy now. How far to the west does interacting with china reach? I always enjoy playing me some Armenians.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

gowb posted:

Yeah it's this. Got burned on M&M and wanting to get back into ck2 but a bit gunshy now. How far to the west does interacting with china reach? I always enjoy playing me some Armenians.

Byzantium is in range so you would be.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

gowb posted:

By default anywhere that the silk road reaches is within diplo range of China as soon as the game starts. Depending on how the game goes and how expansionist China feels like being, you can see the western protectorate extend their influence all the way into western Europe. They expanded the Silk Road west a bit with the expansion, too, so it comes right through to Jerusalem and Egypt. You don't really need to go too far east to be able to interact with China.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

EightDeer posted:

In the Avesta, they're counted as a dog. Ahura Mazda calls it the prickly dog with a long snout.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Which DLCs are basically required to enjoy this game, and which ones can I comfortably skip?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

DJ Dizzy posted:

Which DLCs are basically required to enjoy this game, and which ones can I comfortably skip?

I will just quote this and I believe it should be in OP in some form. Generally, any DLCs that apply changes across all dates, regions and religions are must have and then there tons of DLCs, that are more specific and you should buy them if you are more interested in e.g. India or 769 date start.

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Here's my list, some people will disagree here and there. If I get yelled at enough, I'll happily update it so at least there's an easy to point to post for this winter sale.

Must Have:
  • Way of Life - Adds a bunch of options and events. Party all the time with your vassals, be a grognard wargamer, get a dog, lose all your money investing in bitcoins some artisans, get the Necronomicon, duel your shithead son.
  • Conclave - Gives your vassals and council some teeth and makes you actually manage them. Also changes childhood education so your dynastic eugenics program isn't popping out strong geniuses for eternity. Steam users really dislike this expansion, but most of the "annoying" changes were included in the patch alongside this DLC and got fixed later.
Pretty Good: - Still worth it, even off-sale, but aren't vital.
  • Reaper's Due - Fills out the disease system. Hire a doctor to cut your face off to cure the flu. Build hospitals, which give you a chance of maybe not losing everyone to the Black Death. Also, become immortal, reincarnated, or try to cheat death in a game of chess.
  • The Old Gods - Play as Vikings (and other Pagans). Also unlocks 867 as a start date, which is a good start date.
Play As X: - Wait for a sale to hit. Most aren't super vital, but do add depth and give you some other things to do.
  • Sword of Islam - Play as Muslims.
  • The Republic - Play as Merchant Republics (if you do plan on this, make sure to have Legacy of Rome as well, as Retinues are very helpful)
  • Sons of Abraham - Adds playable Jewish Leaders, Pope mechanics and adds events for all 3 of the Abrahamic religions.
  • Rajas of India - Play as India. Way better with this last patch now that Tibet exists.
  • Horse Lords - Play as Nomads. Become figurative Genghis Khan. Also adds in the Silk Road, if you play in the East and don't have Jade Dragon. Can also conquer tributaries, so you can bully smaller neighbors for their ducats and not have to deal with them as vassals.
Buy It On Sale Only
  • Legacy of Rome - Adds in Retinues, which are a standing army and pretty good (especially for Merchant Republics). Can mend the great schism and restore the Roman Empire. Adds some Byzantine events. Retinues are really good and almost push this to "Pretty Good".
  • Sunset Invasion - The Aztecs invade the west. Basically the Mongol Horde, but for the British Isles and Mainland Europe. I like it, but totally skipable.
  • Charlemagne - Start in 769. You will end up with giant blobs owned by giant empires with this start date. Adds Viceroyalties, Custom Kingdoms & Empires. Playing as Charlemagne is fun and it has custom events. Beyond that, not super important.
  • Monks and Mystics - Can be very lacking depending on what religion you play as. Most will have maybe 1 or 2 secret societies, and they are basically all clones of each other. Can also secretly convert to religions. Your courtiers can do this to, and its basically a virus in your kingdom, so make sure you are burning heretics as if they were a new fuel source. Adds a couple of new counselor missions. Highlights include getting a gun and praying to Satan to restore the balls your physician cut off to cure a bellyache.
  • Jade Dragon - This just came out. Allows you to interact with China, which is an off map power. The stuff you get from China is super strong. Updates the silk road as well. Also, adds new Casus Belli, which make expanding as Catholics (and everyone else, but especially Catholics) easier. It Does lead to a lot of unpretty borders and blobs though. The option can be turned off; however. Only really worth it if you are playing East of the Byzantines. Its also a newer DLC and thus, $15.
Assorted Stuff (Mostly stuff that should be in the base game, please only buy on sale)
  • Ruler Designer - Not really vital and you cant use it to get achievements. Get this on sale, maybe.
  • Customization Pack - Change your leaders haircut, shield, kingdom, and dynasty name. Slightly more worth it than Ruler designer, but still sale only.
  • Unit/Portrait/Shield/Music Packs - There used to be separate packs that came out alongside DLCs. Combining them is nice, I guess. I'd rank them as Music > Portrait > Shield > Unit.
  • EUIV Converter - Do you play EU4 and want to continue to there? Can be some delay with getting this updated if a DLC makes a big change. Not worth it otherwise.
E-Books
No. You get no in-game content, its just e-books. Read the thread, there are plenty of short stories here.

TL;DR The DLC you should own are: Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due, The Old Gods. Those, plus the base game comes out to $33.95 USD while on sale. If you don't mind spending another $4.99 I would also pick up The Sword of Islam, which brings the grand total up to $38.94 USD. You'll have most of the leaders available to start as and have plenty of content to try out.

EDIT: Swapped around Old Gods & Sons of Abraham. Added tl;dr section.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Groogy posted:

In the Avesta, they're counted as a dog. Ahura Mazda calls it the prickly dog with a long snout.

I mean, it's right there in the name.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Groogy posted:

The more I read about Ahura Mazda, the less surprised I am that he thought it was OK to gently caress your sister.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hedgehogs are good dogs because they eat ants and ants are demons.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Beavers are waterdogs because they live in water and are the souls of dead dogs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, picked a fight with a pissed-off defensive pact in order to vassalize the Pope and cement the Holy Roman Empire Of Great Bavaria's supremacy over Central Europe, and I gotta say, it's more annoying than expected. It wasn't really a huge threat, but it took everything obnoxious about going to war as a large empire and cranked it up. By the time I'd crushed the Pope's doomstacks and mercenaries, my warscore was at -30% just from every country that bordered me coming in and sieging down the border provinces, so I had to call up most of my vassal levies and run all over my empire playing whack-a-mole with a dozen different invasion armies.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

FreudianSlippers posted:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Beavers are waterdogs because they live in water and are the souls of dead dogs.

This guy knows what's up.
Also having had ants infestation to deal with. Yes ants are demons.

e: Also one of the punishment of killing a beaver is to care for puppies to atone for your sins.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yup.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, picked a fight with a pissed-off defensive pact in order to vassalize the Pope and cement the Holy Roman Empire Of Great Bavaria's supremacy over Central Europe, and I gotta say, it's more annoying than expected. It wasn't really a huge threat, but it took everything obnoxious about going to war as a large empire and cranked it up. By the time I'd crushed the Pope's doomstacks and mercenaries, my warscore was at -30% just from every country that bordered me coming in and sieging down the border provinces, so I had to call up most of my vassal levies and run all over my empire playing whack-a-mole with a dozen different invasion armies.

The only time this pisses me off is when some vassals decide it's a good time for them to be dicks or when like 4-5 peasant/religious revolts fire at the same time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
holy gently caress silk road trading posts make Egypt bonkers

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Honky Dong Country posted:

The only time this pisses me off is when some vassals decide it's a good time for them to be dicks or when like 4-5 peasant/religious revolts fire at the same time.

The other nice part of defensive pacts is that since they tend to force you to stop expanding for a while, that leaves you with plenty of time with nothing really better to do than bully and oppress your vassals, so most of the troublesome people had been hammered down to the point where I wasn't relying on my council to keep people out of factions...which was good, because my ruler randomly died of poor health halfway through that war.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to press a claim for something that no longer exists? My idiot brother lost Ireland and now no one has the Ireland title. I've got a strong claim but since there is no Ireland, I can't go and kick out the interlopers.

Doubly hard because it's one dude that owns almost half of Ireland, so I can't conquest them easily either.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sweat fealty to him and gently caress him over from the inside?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

This is some cool poo poo:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-resource-fake-mapmodes.1063490/

Some clever clogs has used the councillor jobs system to hack new map modes into the game. Check out this simplified terrain mode:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hey guys, real quick: Victoria II if I love CK2 and have EUIV but have never actually gotten around to playing it, yea or nay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Victoria 2 is the greatest Paradox game. It is also the worst. It doesn't really have a lot in common with Crusader Kings 2 other than the whole map game thing. If you like the Victorian era, then yes. If you love building railroads, then yes. The main focus is on population and internal economy/politics, war and getting bigger are in general much less important (although still important). Also it's a fair bit more historical than CK2 or EUIV, there are usually only minor differences in what the endgame looks like every playthrough except for the stuff you influence yourself (although you can influence a lot).

It's also really hard to fully understand and thus get good at, which you'll need to be to succeed as most minor countries. Some countries like the USA you can succeed at no matter how badly you do however.

It's before the shift to DLC/patching and needs all the expansions to be good, so make sure you buy the bundle if you do.

• Locked thread