Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

So I currently have a Nexus 5X. I really like it on a software level (no bloatware + stock android), but I've already traded it in once over a bootloop issue and now I'm starting to have hardware issues (non-selfie camera won't focus, battery dying quickly, and volume button "sticks"). I'm looking for a replacement.

Here are my "musts":
  • Reliability. This has been pretty frustrating with my Nexus 5X and I'd like something that will last maybe 4 years if possible.
  • Good camera, including a good selfie camera. I have a separate camera for vacations, etc, but for day-to-day life my phone is my primary picture-taking device and I love taking pictures of everything.

Nice bonuses:
  • Headphone jack (I really love my current headphones)
  • Water resistant. I don't want to worry about using it in the rain
  • Reasonably fast
  • Minimal bloatware
  • Stock android
  • Easily fits in my pocket

I don't really care about gaming or watching movies on my phone. My target price range is $500 or so, but that's negotiable. Any suggestions?

I'm not super up to date on US prices, but I'm not sure if that's possible for $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

So I currently have a Nexus 5X. I really like it on a software level (no bloatware + stock android), but I've already traded it in once over a bootloop issue and now I'm starting to have hardware issues (non-selfie camera won't focus, battery dying quickly, and volume button "sticks"). I'm looking for a replacement.

Here are my "musts":
  • Reliability. This has been pretty frustrating with my Nexus 5X and I'd like something that will last maybe 4 years if possible.
  • Good camera, including a good selfie camera. I have a separate camera for vacations, etc, but for day-to-day life my phone is my primary picture-taking device and I love taking pictures of everything.

Nice bonuses:
  • Reasonably fast
  • Minimal bloatware
  • Stock android

I don't really care about gaming or watching movies on my phone. My target price range is $500 or so, but that's negotiable. Any suggestions?

First gen pixel. Slightly over your price range, but not much.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also, I wouldn't expect 4 years out of any phone for at least two reasons.

1. The hardware just doesn't last that long on average.
2. Best case scenario you're going to only get security updates for 2 years.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
My wife is getting a new phone and is deciding between the Samsung Galaxy S7 and the Oppo R11. She currently has an iPhone 5S.

Any thoughts or opinions? Our choices are somewhat limited as she will be using gift vouchers for http://www.officeworks.com.au

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

Here are my "musts":

Nice bonuses:
  • Reasonably fast
  • Minimal bloatware
  • Stock android

Bump up to $650, or take advantage of a sale, and go for Pixel 2 normal sized. You'll get the best camera on any phone, best long term support, and basically everything else except headphone jack (just use adapter or Bluetooth) and price. I'd argue the advantages of it are worth stretching to if you're considering a Pixel 1.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Also, Pixel 1 isn't water resistant worth a drat.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Bump up to $650, or take advantage of a sale, and go for Pixel 2 normal sized

This by far your best choice

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also, Pixel 1 isn't water resistant worth a drat.

I've had two separate pixel 1 suffer weird microphone failures in 14 months, and the current failure happened 2 days after I went out of warranty. The pixel 1 can eat a dick.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
can anyone with a pixel/pixel 2 and a google home tell me how well they integrate? My hope would be to get a google home max to replace my Sonos but my main issue with Sonos is that it's not easy to just "cast" podcasts I'm listening to or youtube videos I'm playing without the app being supported. Spotify works fine and tunein and a lot of other apps but i can't just get out of my car where I was listening to pocketcasts over bluetooth, walk into my house and resume playing on my speaker and that's kind of a big downside over a regular bluetooth speaker.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It sounds to me like you just want a Chromecast Audio, not a Google Home.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
The casting is pretty good, I have a Mini in my bedroom and listen to podcasts while falling asleep. You just have to click on the little button on the top right in pocket casts (https://i.imgur.com/g5kCtCr.jpg ) and you get a list of all devices that you can play your audio on. It doesn't do anything fancy like detecting in which room you are at any moment, but it respects sleep timers and you can control everything from within pocketcasts itself, so that's good enough for me.
If you have a free Aux port on your Sonos, getting a Chromecast Audio would probably be cheaper, if you can bother switching to that input everytime you want to play something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For me, casting is the biggest draw of Google Homes. They work great and I use it often but that being said, if the Sonos can automatically play off the line-in without you having to do anything to make it do that then the Chromecast Audio would probably be just fine for your use case.

The thing I like about the Home and casting is that (at least for Google Play Music) I can start my casting session without having to interact with a device at all but it doesn't sound like that's a huge draw to you.

The other great thing about Homes is using them to control the lights and the TVs so I'm not sure if that's something you're wanting or not.

I feel like anyone willing to drop $400 for a Home Max has the cash to burn to see if it's worthwhile for them so you might as well try it out. I think you'll be happy with it, especially if you start connecting more stuff to Assistant.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

MMD3 posted:

can anyone with a pixel/pixel 2 and a google home tell me how well they integrate? My hope would be to get a google home max to replace my Sonos but my main issue with Sonos is that it's not easy to just "cast" podcasts I'm listening to or youtube videos I'm playing without the app being supported. Spotify works fine and tunein and a lot of other apps but i can't just get out of my car where I was listening to pocketcasts over bluetooth, walk into my house and resume playing on my speaker and that's kind of a big downside over a regular bluetooth speaker.

Which Sonos speaker do you have? If it's the Play:5, I'd echo the above posters and recommend you just get a Chromecast Audio and plug it in (that's my current setup) to cast to the Sonos for a fraction of the cost of the Home Max (I've also read that the Sonos speaker sounds better, but I haven't been able to test that myself). Sonos is also supposedly rolling out Google compatibility sometime in 2018 (similar to how they added Amazon Alexa just this year).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

2. Best case scenario you're going to only get security updates for 2 years.

I thought the Pixel phones had OS updates for two years and security updates for 3 years?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought the Pixel phones had OS updates for two years and security updates for 3 years?

The Pixel 1, yes. The Pixel 2, no. The Pixel 2 is three years for both.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

Finding a deal on a regular Pixel 2 is your best bet, otherwise you're gonna gamble with a OnePlus 5T or Essential Phone. Though I suppose anything is better, coming from a 5X.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I meant at his price point.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Citi honored the Price Cut on the Pixel 2 XL. My $75 came through on the 1st. I was worried since my receipt showed me ordering earlier in the month and you only have 60 days for the match. They took it from the date of the charge instead.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Eezee posted:

The casting is pretty good, I have a Mini in my bedroom and listen to podcasts while falling asleep. You just have to click on the little button on the top right in pocket casts (https://i.imgur.com/g5kCtCr.jpg ) and you get a list of all devices that you can play your audio on. It doesn't do anything fancy like detecting in which room you are at any moment, but it respects sleep timers and you can control everything from within pocketcasts itself, so that's good enough for me.
If you have a free Aux port on your Sonos, getting a Chromecast Audio would probably be cheaper, if you can bother switching to that input everytime you want to play something.

ahh, good to know.. I should try that button in pocket casts with Sonos, I hadn't noticed it before. No aux port on my Sonos 1 unfortunately.

LastInLine posted:

For me, casting is the biggest draw of Google Homes. They work great and I use it often but that being said, if the Sonos can automatically play off the line-in without you having to do anything to make it do that then the Chromecast Audio would probably be just fine for your use case.

The thing I like about the Home and casting is that (at least for Google Play Music) I can start my casting session without having to interact with a device at all but it doesn't sound like that's a huge draw to you.

The other great thing about Homes is using them to control the lights and the TVs so I'm not sure if that's something you're wanting or not.

I feel like anyone willing to drop $400 for a Home Max has the cash to burn to see if it's worthwhile for them so you might as well try it out. I think you'll be happy with it, especially if you start connecting more stuff to Assistant.

I went ahead and ordered a mini, will test it out functionally and see if it's worth picking up a max.

PageMaster posted:

Which Sonos speaker do you have? If it's the Play:5, I'd echo the above posters and recommend you just get a Chromecast Audio and plug it in (that's my current setup) to cast to the Sonos for a fraction of the cost of the Home Max (I've also read that the Sonos speaker sounds better, but I haven't been able to test that myself). Sonos is also supposedly rolling out Google compatibility sometime in 2018 (similar to how they added Amazon Alexa just this year).

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have a Play:5, i've been waiting to pull the trigger for a while now.

I should have better clarified, I wouldn't only want the Home Max to replace a Sonos, I'd want it to also replace an Alexa. I'm hoping it's a more seamless integration with my Pixel 2 and if there are some benefits to it (i prefer google assistant to alexa) then I'd be willing to make the jump. I do have a good number of Hue lights to control so if I'm always looking to simplify my home automation integrations.

Another strange use case for me is that I live in a big house with roommates and they are using Alexa/Sonos more throughout the whole rest of the house (game room, living room, etc.) Having multiple sonos & alexa's on the same network seems to pose some interesting configuration issues and switching over to home would mean I can still use the sonos system for the rest of the house while not having to worry about the random playing of music to my part of the house when somebody gets confused about what Sonos they're playing to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Home Max is something I definitively do not need yet will likely pounce on when they eventually go on sale.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

The Home Max is something I definitively do not need yet will likely pounce on when they eventually go on sale.

Allow me to facilitate your purchase:

https://store.google.com/us/product/google_home_max?hl=en-US

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

By "On Sale" I mean the inevitable discount.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
so uh what do people think about the OnePlus 5T in this thread because I haven't found anything going back a few pages. paid less than $550 with the student discount and decided that the Pixel 2 was a little too expensive. should I cancel my order? I'm coming from an LG G5

things that piss me off about the pixel: no microSD card slot, 128GB model is a loving $100 upgrade, no headphone jack

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 3, 2018

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Turdsdown Tom posted:

so uh what do people think about the OnePlus 5T in this thread because I haven't found anything going back a few pages. paid less than $550 with the student discount and decided that the Pixel 2 was a little too expensive. should I cancel my order? I'm coming from an LG G5

Never Settle. (For a One Plus)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

By "On Sale" I mean the inevitable discount.

Okay, yeah, fair enough.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Better than literal garbage I guess

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

frameset posted:

Never Settle. (For a One Plus)

Turdsdown Tom posted:

things that piss me off about the pixel: no microSD card slot, 128GB model is a loving $100 upgrade, no headphone jack

i didn't get to edit this into my post in time but i have no idea why people are making GBS threads themselves over the pixel when it's pretty overpriced for the specs. i don't know what i am missing evidently

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
well how do you feel about hd streaming?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

well how do you feel about hd streaming?

if you count occasionally watching youtube videos then I do it sometimes, but i pretty much never watch anything on my phone and would use my laptop or desktop or Xbox to do most of that. i think the pixel is a good phone and i am very impressed by its camera, but it's just a lot of money and i feel like there has got to be something better out there. $750 for 4GB of RAM and non-upgradable storage is pretty bogus

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

DA SPECS

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

well yeah if someone tried to sell me a sports car with a luxury interior and then said "oh and the engine is a 2 cylinder with 40 horsepower" i'd probably be like oh word. this isn't furniture shopping where you buy it because it looks nice and fits in your living room

it's not like i walked in here like gently caress THE PIXEL 2 I BOUGHT A loving ONEPLUS RETARDS so i don't know why you're shitposting

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If the 40 horsepower engine did 0-60 in 2.8 seconds you should not care about the fact that it has 40 horsepower.

There is not a smoother Android phone on the market than the Pixel 2.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Turdsdown Tom posted:

i didn't get to edit this into my post in time but i have no idea why people are making GBS threads themselves over the pixel when it's pretty overpriced for the specs. i don't know what i am missing evidently

I mean, if you care about the specsheet more than it being a good phone, go minmax that specsheet. If you want the best camera, performance, software, update timeline, and customer support in an Android phone, get a Pixel 2.

As for OnePlus, there are a million things they've done wrong, but given your specsheet worries, the most fitting to mention is the time they shipped a phone with 6GB of RAM, then put aggressive memory management in the software so that you couldn't actually use more than 3 or 4GB before stuff got cleared, saying that was intentional to improve battery life.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

If the 40 horsepower engine did 0-60 in 2.8 seconds you should not care about the fact that it has 40 horsepower.

There is not a smoother Android phone on the market than the Pixel 2.

this is really the advice i was looking for, but also i'm looking for hill climb, not drag race performance (to complete this dumb analogy i started that i will stop continuing right now)

i have a poo poo ton of music. does google do cloud storage with Play Music? can it do huge files okay? (i have a lot of multiple hour radio shows saved that are sometimes over a gig) the only thing i'm worried about with moving a lot of stuff to the cloud like google wants is killing my data connection by streaming tons of poo poo constantly. i would have posted in Recommend Me A Phone but i didn't really feel like i needed a recommendation per se, just had questions about the pixel

RVProfootballer posted:

I mean, if you care about the specsheet more than it being a good phone, go minmax that specsheet. If you want the best camera, performance, software, update timeline, and customer support in an Android phone, get a Pixel 2.

it has absolutely nothing to do with minmaxing the specsheet. RAM and storage are like two of the most critical parts of the phone when it comes to longevity imo. i don't give a gently caress about the processor or how many pixels the camera can analyze in 0.05 picoseconds or whatever people jerk off to their phone's specs about. i care about buying a phone that isn't going to be a piece of poo poo in 8 months like the last two LG phones i bought like a retard

barnold fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 3, 2018

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

If you're going to make car analogies, you'd also tell someone to gently caress off if they had a 400 BHP car that only delivered 40 to the wheels...but it's still 400 horsepower right?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you're going to make car analogies, you'd also tell someone to gently caress off if they had a 400 BHP car that only delivered 40 to the wheels...but it's still 400 horsepower right?

you make a pretty solid point there actually my guy. i guess i'm gonna send this OnePlus back. good talk guys, thanks for being actually helpful with the exception of that one guy

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Turdsdown Tom posted:

i care about buying a phone that isn't going to be a piece of poo poo in 8 months

Buy a Pixel 2. There is no other choice, given this. Oneplus would completely gently caress you over.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

this is really the advice i was looking for, but also i'm looking for hill climb, not drag race performance (to complete this dumb analogy i started that i will stop continuing right now)

i have a poo poo ton of music. does google do cloud storage with Play Music? can it do huge files okay? (i have a lot of multiple hour radio shows saved that are sometimes over a gig) the only thing i'm worried about with moving a lot of stuff to the cloud like google wants is killing my data connection by streaming tons of poo poo constantly. i would have posted in Recommend Me A Phone but i didn't really feel like i needed a recommendation per se, just had questions about the pixel

Google Play Music can do cloud storage of songs. I forget what the limit is for free, but I know it's a complete fuckload that you'll probably not hit. 40,000 I think?

Also I'll echo the Pixel 2's praises. I upgraded from an iPhone 6S and the experience has been exactly the same. It's exactly as smooth as the iPhone, runs just as well if not better since iOS11 added a bunch of weird issues that frustrated me. It honestly feels like I just switched skins on my device. Not to discount the amazing camera and superiority of Assistant versus Siri.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Turdsdown Tom posted:

you make a pretty solid point there actually my guy. i guess i'm gonna send this OnePlus back. good talk guys, thanks for being actually helpful with the exception of that one guy

Just to be clear I don't have as much against OnePlus as most people in the thread but specs are really one part of the system and are more meaningful when everything else is close to equal. I'd recommend looking up the problems OnePlus or really any brand has had in the past and decide whether it's worth it to you before buying/keeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Turdsdown Tom posted:

it has absolutely nothing to do with minmaxing the specsheet. RAM and storage are like two of the most critical parts of the phone when it comes to longevity imo. i don't give a gently caress about the processor or how many pixels the camera can analyze in 0.05 picoseconds or whatever people jerk off to their phone's specs about. i care about buying a phone that isn't going to be a piece of poo poo in 8 months like the last two LG phones i bought like a retard

Wait for some retard to come talk about how buying a Pixel is a good way to avoid the dreaded "jank", like that's a thing normal people care about, and a pile of fellow circle-jerkies to lap it up and comment on its general saltiness.

I think it's wise to avoid a manufacturer you've had problems with despite all these claims that Google's magic touch somehow made a decade of poor quality go away? I also think it is silly to say you want certain features on a phone (like expandable memory) and then let people who don't have your use case convince you their method of doing things is better?

My OnePlus X is still going strong 2 years past its manufacture date even though it has long been abandoned by OnePlus themselves. I would certainly buy another OnePlus phone if the price were right and I was in the market, but I also wouldn't leave the stock ROM in place so...really there's no easy choice.

Can't knock the Pixel 2 camera though, that thing is sweet.