Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

They were legit selling it as a pre-order for about a year. Not a pledge, not whatever it is now, but a common parlance pre-order standalone following the Gary Oldthumb reveal.

Legal status: Dog making GBS threads on a thick shag carpet.

I imagine they'll try to say they were only selling the single player portion of Star Citizen, and not an isolated product.

Which means that the judge would have to sift through hours of Chris's bullshit.

Hell, he might order the death penalty after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Huh? Did or did not RSI sign a GLA at all?

I believe they address that but not reading it all again.

From my understanding if CIG argues that RSI is not bound by the GLA then SQ42 is guilty of copyright infringement.

If CIG argues that RSI is bound by the GLA then SQ42 is guilty of copyright infringement as the GLA requires SQ42 to be just a game mode and not a separate game.*

*Not a lawyer and above based only on Cryek's side of the story

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"RSI didn't sign this contract, CIG did!"

"...oh, piss"

lol, this is when the 14 companies idea starts to pay off!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Calling it now.

The CIG response will have twitter screenshots and mention 1000+ youtube videos.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MedicineHut posted:

They're clearly preparing for "nuh uh, CIG licensed CryEngine for Star Citizen and then RSI independently started building S42 in Lumberyard so gently caress you Crytek, RSI didn't agree poo poo we just licensed the S42 IP to them and they can do whatever they want in whatever engine they like"

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 3, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sunswipe posted:

Aw poo poo, the Doctor's turning into Jack Slate. I suppose he does already have the dog.

Why dont you take up your grievances with city hall. :smuggo:

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Gosts posted:

Hey, I'm working on a :effortless:

But I need a little help, there's one last thing I can't find. Does anyone know of a record how how many backers there are for SC, over time? I can see the current amount on the RSI website but I can't find any graph or chart or even just how many people were backing at the end of each year.

If anyone can turn that up it'd be super useful.

Alakazam!
*and in a puff of magic*

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...
176. 13. Chris Roberts, a video game designer, and Ortwin Freyermuth, an entertainment lawyer, founded Defendants. On October 10, 2012, Defendants initiated a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for Star Citizen, a game to be developed by Defendants.
177. 14. At significant time and expense, Crytek created demonstrations and proofs-of-concept for Defendants related to Star Citizen, and Defendants used those materials as part of the crowdfunding campaign for Star Citizen.

Has anyone said scampaign yet?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Another interesting thing in the amended complaint was that not only did Crytek accuse CIG of a separate game but any process around building that game (including i presume demos on the interwebs) was itself a breach of copyright, so they're making sure the door is closed whatever CIG claim about the status of SQ42.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I am dead from laughing so hard at these sick legal owns of CIG.

They are hosed.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think that they are just covering their asses if CIGs line of defense is "A GLA is not a contract" or something.

Whooaaa so CIG now owns Line of Defense?

Derek since when did you sold you game to CIG and for how. Many jpeg ships

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MedicineHut posted:

That was Robert Space Industries, not Roberts Space Industries.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

I assume a major part of the reason for making S42 a separate game was for tax reasons in the UK. So on the one hand CIG will have been trying to prove it was a separate game to the UK government and now need to prove it wasn't to a US court.

It's more complex than that. Read my just unleashed Tweet storm

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/948544238790299648.html

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Crobbers will probably end up doing a lot of handwaving, while going for a variant of the Chewbacca defense.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Question: Is it legal to post a Pacer document that's hidden behind a paywall?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why dont you take up your grievances with city hall. :smuggo:

Can't wait to see this scene play out, with CIG escaping in the plane and Derek on the motorbike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J45iyHkkbM

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I imagine they'll try to say they were only selling the single player portion of Star Citizen, and not an isolated product.

Which means that the judge would have to sift through hours of Chris's bullshit.

Hell, he might order the death penalty after that.

Nope. It's not as hard as you think. I just addressed this very thing in my Twitter thread.

They have:

- sold SQ42 as a separate product
- used SQ42 as collateral for a loan
- used SQ42 as the reason for tax credits (which are also part of the loan)

Aside from all the marketing, media, separate website etc.

Like I said: dead to rights

Unless Ortwin can poo poo a GLA that says they can develop more than ONE title, they're hosed. Completely. It's game over.

And given the bad blood between Chris and CryTek, they're going to completely destroy him for he did to not only them, but also their company (poaching their key engineers etc).

Make no mistake, this lawsuit is more personal than it is business.

----------------

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

fake outrage

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Derek is the narrator at the beginning of every episode of Dragonball where he talks about poo poo that already happened...and while that poo poo was happening, he was wondering aloud what would happen next episode if only you'd tune in to find out!

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

He's from South Africa I think? IDK I don't remember most of the time I spent in TEST.

The worst sharks are the sharks you don't see coming lol. I go out and shore dive a lot here specifically looking for sharks (and weirdly strike out a lot) to photograph and so I'm pretty comfortable around them, but I was diving in the intracoastal one day, pulling stone crabs and sheepshead out from under the causeway in like 6 ft of vis and had a monster bull shark pass right over me - directly into the chocolate milk sitting on top of the thermocline. I've had very few experiences diving that have scared me to the point of taking time off diving but that's one of them. Also getting my head stuck in a hole once, that sucked.

If you're ever in Florida (perhaps celebrating the death of Star Citizen) we'll go out and get some fish. Plus you can dive the springs for a uniquely spooky experience:

was he one of the leaders of TEST during the Fountain War?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mr.Tophat posted:

Derek is the narrator at the beginning of every episode of Dragonball where he talks about poo poo that already happened...and while that poo poo was happening, he was wondering aloud what would happen next episode if only you'd tune in to find out!

drat thats one apt comparison

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

History Comes Inside! posted:

They're clearly preparing for "nuh uh, CIG licensed CryEngine for Star Citizen and then RSI independently started building S42 in Lumberyard so gently caress you Crytek, RSI didn't agree poo poo we just licensed the S42 IP to them and they can do whatever they want in whatever engine they like"

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/948560337040822273

----------------

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

Legal status: Dog making GBS threads on a thick shag carpet.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Mr.Tophat posted:

crobbers and derek spending thirty minutes two weeks powering up a massive blast only to miss and cause a bunch of collateral damage

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Derek yelling at Chris is more like Garfield Minus Garfield.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

crobbers and derek spending thirty minutes two weeks powering up a massive blast only to miss and cause a bunch of collateral damage

Let. Me....

Let. ME....

LET ME loving FINISH

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

people of earth, lend me your sources

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

D_Smart posted:

Read my just unleashed Tweet storm
:suicide:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

now that r/ds is dead I don't think anyone reads them so you shouldn't either.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

He's the alt. It's obvious :tinfoil:

The hard problems are the only ones worth having, if you get to solve one you're sitting pretty. Although it might take some time to find out if the NSA succeeded with their super quantum computer.

Yeah. I have two decades of technical debt, an end date and no critical path. It's so well planned that people are agreeing to stuff and just leaving. I'm in two minds whether to jump or dig into the pile of poo poo.

Frank admission: I love unpicking piles of poo poo.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdP_tq-hbUS/

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

big nipples big life posted:

now that r/ds is dead I don't think anyone reads them so you shouldn't either.

Oh no, you can't trick me, goonie. I see you inverse troll reverse psychology coming a mile away. I'M GONNA READ THEM NOW. I'M GONNA READ THEM ALL.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Derek is that annoying verbal cop who declares, "Got 'em now!" whenever the dog sniffs an errant shoe in the desert. It might be your perp's shoe, but stop looking at a dog for verbal cues, and stop telling the people who handle the dog to stop talking to one another and listen to the mutt.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

is this anime

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

is this anime

It's trash so yes

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/948562734307790848

----------------

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Everyone please stop posting that no one reads DS's tweets or he'll just bring them here.

e; :negative:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Nope. It's not as hard as you think. I just addressed this very thing in my Twitter thread.

They have:

- sold SQ42 as a separate product
- used SQ42 as collateral for a loan
- used SQ42 as the reason for tax credits (which are also part of the loan)

Aside from all the marketing, media, separate website etc.

Like I said: dead to rights

Unless Ortwin can poo poo a GLA that says they can develop more than ONE title, they're hosed. Completely. It's game over.

And given the bad blood between Chris and CryTek, they're going to completely destroy him for he did to not only them, but also their company (poaching their key engineers etc).

Make no mistake, this lawsuit is more personal than it is business.

I understand your point, Oh Internet Warlord, but what I'm suggesting is that they could say that when they're selling "Squadron 42" what they're actually selling is "Star Citizen: Wing Commander Style Single Player Mode Edition". In other words they're selling a part of the game they have a license for instead of a standalone product. I genuinely have no idea whether or not that's a feasible legal argument or not (it probably isn't and I think it's firmly established that I am not a lawyer or in any way, shape, or form remotely competent when it comes to legal matters), but it would be hilarious if they tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HAHAHAHAHA so the backers were right and Star Citizen isn't six years old or whatever.