Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

It cheats it a little when you point out VT ran the Veer I think when Arians was QB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

tadashi posted:

Here's him getting knocked the gently caress out in an EKU dorm because that's the place to go right after getting into a fight at an EKU bar.

Barker was pretty terrible. I really think he has judgement issues that plague him on the field. I realize teams know he's probably going to pass if he's on the field but nobody made him throw terrible passes or not pass at all leading to all those sacks.

Stoops has been good at recruiting some of the higher rated KY players he should be pursuing but its sad that guys like Barker and Elam really failed to live up to anything close to expectations.

I forgot about that until I read more on the transfer. I had also forgotten he was one of players that caused a campus lockdown because they were walking around at night with pellet guns.

Still, I feel a little sorry for him. He had one good half against Southern Miss where he played up to expectations, but they ended up choking that game away and that's what people remember. And that hit he took at Florida was brutal. When I really felt bad for him was against Tennessee this year. Johnson goes to the locker room with an injury, he comes in, gets a first down, then has to scramble on a play. Instead of sliding for a small gain, he tries to be a hero, wanting to prove he can be just as good as Johnson and make a play, and fumbles. Next series he goes out to the huddle, and the crowd erupts in cheers as Johnson comes running out of the locker room. That right there has to mess with his psyche, and why I'm not at all surprised about the transfer.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
By the way, the anecdote I mentioned is that a professor I had in college lived in Nebraska during the 90s when the Huskers constantly owned, and one day he was with a friend of his who went into a Porta-John, and they were going through downtown Lincoln on a Saturday at the time. So my professor sees this guy walking down the street looking really surly and for some reason he asked the guy how he was doing and said something about the weather and the dude just goes "HUSKERS LOST!" and kicks the Porta-John with this prof's friend in it as hard as he can and walks off.

Just the idea of this dude being that loving mad is hilarious to me and always will be.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Arizona canned RichRod, lamo

Apparently he’s been doing Bad Stuff

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Noctone posted:

Don't worry buddy, Scott Frost is going to return Nebraska to the promised land and then you can shift your hate to them.

Nebraska isn't turning into Alabama unless Warren Buffet starts running recruiting.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Bama’s injured-all-season LB Anfernee Jennings, who returned against Clemson to have a great game only to get injured on Clemson’s final drive, required surgery and will not play in the NCG.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Emron posted:

Bama’s injured-all-season LB Anfernee Jennings, who returned against Clemson to have a great game only to get injured on Clemson’s final drive, required surgery and will not play in the NCG.

jeez, that sucks

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The Dothan Eagle named 'em #1, right?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Komet posted:

Agree. You don't have to be the most brilliant X's and O's mind to be a highly successful college football coach. Penn State has a ways to go to catch up to Ohio State and Clemson, but Franklin is a similar type of program manager coach that knows how to recognize coaching talent and get the most out of his athletes. You can't just credit Joe Moorhead with Penn State's success the last two years (although he's certainly a huge factor). As we saw in the bowl game, Penn State isn't going to collapse in on itself offensively next year with Ricky Rahne.

He has the very advanced strategy of "hiring coaches with very attractive wives", if I recall.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Josh Jackson is forgoing his senior year to enter the NFL draft, as he should since he's a likely first rounder. Really cool story. Came in a a 2 star WR, moved to corner and got some playing time as a redshirt freshman, got jumped in the cornerback pecking order last year by a true freshman, then worked his rear end off in the off-season and became the best defensive back in the country and a unanimous all American. He led the country in passes defensed and I believe tied for the lead in INTs when he got his 8th in the bowl game (which also tied the Iowa single season record). Big load for Iowa, but I'm excited to see which 2 star cornerback Phil Parker coaches into an all big ten player and draft pick next

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
That's gonna hurt Iowa's ability to score against the Badgers next year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao UCF owns

https://twitter.com/969thegame/status/948546684497342465

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Excited to see Alabama fans get mad at someone for a dubious national title claim

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Nice pre-championship fluff on UGA's Sony Michel and how he grew up/his family:

https://www.facebook.com/CBSSports/videos/10155472158076773/

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I shared this with some guys im on a group text with and a bunch of them went to UGA and they're all losing their minds.

awesome

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/UCF_Football/status/948388332270227456

lol they're running with it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/UCF_Football/status/948548699319304192

This is amazing

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Personally, I respect the bit.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

More legit than a 1952 Piggly Wiggly national champion

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Thoguh posted:

He has the very advanced strategy of "hiring coaches with very attractive wives", if I recall.

happy wife happy life.

pretty wife, uhm, psu enabled the rape of children

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ActionCookbook is at it again

quote:

PJ FLECK: Wow, this is great. I didn’t know the Big Ten had its own private gym facility. I can’t wait to get in a workout.

BARRY ALVAREZ: We don’t reveal all the conference’s secrets right away. We’re proud of our organization and its traditions, and we like to make sure our members are Big Ten caliber before we bring them fully into our confidence.

DJ DURKIN: So what convinced you we were Big Ten caliber?

ALVAREZ: Well, you beat Texas in Austin and then lost to a mid-major team. That’s classic.

CHRIS ASH: What about me?

ALVAREZ: Your TV checks cleared.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I’d be fine with teams only being permitted to claim titles from the BCS era onward.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
necro of a side topic, but:

Pakled posted:

iirc, he read a little bit of it, then quit when he realized it was quasi-fascist garbage and resolved to make the movie as ridiculous and over-the-top as possible to show how stupid the book was.

I always took the book as satirizing that ultra-nationalist mindset. Heinlein was doing most of his writing in the red-scare era and loved to play around with different aspects of politics during that time. I took starship troopers to be a parable about where we would go if you took the anti-communist (or these days, anti-immigrant) mindset too far.

Heinlein's writings, to me, were always more about his present than any sort of future and were always designed to challenge the views of his peers. The societies he describes are sometimes egalitarian and sometimes uncomfortable. His later stuff tends to explore sexuality more and more (as anti-communism winds down) which leads to some uncomfortable writings where non-monogamy, polyamory, incest, and pedophilia all feature to some degree as well rigid monogamy.

About the only thing that features in all of Heinlein's writing is tendency toward strong individualism in his characters. That's the only thing of his that I take to be "writer's own views".

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 3, 2018

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Rico's Roughnecks

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

This owns, I wish Tulane had a national championship banner for 1998.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

That makes 4 national championships for the state of Florida in this century.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/UCF_Football/status/948622149769711621

oh god this is gonna be fun :munch:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s sad we won’t get to see the national champions play the victor of Monday’s SEC championship.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

SamuraiFoochs posted:

By the way, the anecdote I mentioned is that a professor I had in college lived in Nebraska during the 90s when the Huskers constantly owned, and one day he was with a friend of his who went into a Porta-John, and they were going through downtown Lincoln on a Saturday at the time. So my professor sees this guy walking down the street looking really surly and for some reason he asked the guy how he was doing and said something about the weather and the dude just goes "HUSKERS LOST!" and kicks the Porta-John with this prof's friend in it as hard as he can and walks off.

Just the idea of this dude being that loving mad is hilarious to me and always will be.

I doubt the outcome would have been different had we won

E: Also

https://twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder/status/948654846282031105

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

I doubt the outcome would have been different had we won

E: Also

https://twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder/status/948654846282031105

At least they stuck around to coach the last game.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I’m glad Frost got to stick around for that win. Not that it was a magnanimous concession by Nebraska, but still.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I think it kind of owns that in so short a period of time, we’ve gone from OSU making all their championship merch say UNDISPUTED on it to a team just claiming a title because the playoff committee sucks rear end.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Oh I am too, and good on White for doing that, though I can imagine some UCF fans questioning the payout

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
If I was a UCF fan questioning the payout I’d just remind myself that the team was 0-12 two years ago.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Just lol @ the shitheads that are mad about UCF claiming a MNC. This is incredible, I love it I hope this leads to more teams claiming titles.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Noctone posted:

If I was a UCF fan questioning the payout I’d just remind myself that the team was 0-12 two years ago.

If I was a UCF fan questioning the payout I'd just remind myself NATIONAL CHAMPS

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

an adult beverage posted:

Just lol @ the shitheads that are mad about UCF claiming a MNC. This is incredible, I love it I hope this leads to more teams claiming titles.

its so good why do people get so mad over fun things

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I feel weird because I'm kind of rooting for Alabama to beat Georgia to make UCF's claim more legitimate. If that happens, they are undefeated and beat a team that beat the champ. Should probably be rooting for Georgia in the National Championship though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Spacebump posted:

I feel weird because I'm kind of rooting for Alabama to beat Georgia to make UCF's claim more legitimate. If that happens, they are undefeated and beat a team that beat the champ. Should probably be rooting for Georgia in the National Championship though.

Pro-tip: don't ever root for Georgia.

• Locked thread