Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

DaNerd posted:

I can only justify a console purchase to myself if I'll use it more though and I know more Xbox gamers than PlayStation gamers.

I'm only half-joking when I say, that's impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Play with goons and not your imaginary friends

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Bleck posted:

I'm only half-joking when I say, that's impossible

I wasn't counting PC gamers which are the vast majority.

Well poo poo, PS4s are cheaper than I thought... Could now be the fourth gaming system I buy just for a MH title.

Norns posted:

Play with goons and not your imaginary friends

My (imaginary) friends are the only reason I got into this series.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

DaNerd posted:

I'm seriously considering buying an Xbox as well

😂😂😂

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

DaNerd posted:

My (imaginary) friends are the only reason I got into this series.

Look, I'm not going to say "If you don't buy a PS4 and get in on this we'll spend the entire time on skype mocking you" but...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This was also my cousin's excuse for having an Xbone, because that's where all his friends were. And like, that's fair, but I can't think of a single Bone exclusive I give more than a wholly superficial poo poo about, plus the launch was a fiasco.

Anyway, I'm still praying for 11th-hour announcement of crossplay between PS4 and PC to hype the PC release, because I'm buying it day one on PS4, and I'm worried about a goon exodus to the PC version when it finally materializes. My PC can handle it, but I don't want to double-dip.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I think you'd have a better chance of bone/pc crossplay.

OP could you add a communities section to the first page?

We got Palico Pals setup for PS4.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm fine with waiting for the PC version. I started playing through MH4u and I'm enjoying it a lot (I'd only played MHgen before, this is so much better). Soon I'll make it all the way to G-rank and get murdered.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Mailer posted:

Look, I'm not going to say "If you don't buy a PS4 and get in on this we'll spend the entire time on skype mocking you" but...

Everyone on the internet is so mean :(.

I haven't had a console for 7 years. Did PlayStation really supplant Xbox as the console of choice or is this just because I'm in the MH thread?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DaNerd posted:

I haven't had a console for 7 years. Did PlayStation really supplant Xbox as the console of choice or is this just because I'm in the MH thread?

Microsoft completely screwed up with the xbone launch and they've been failing to play catch up ever since

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Perhaps their honest to god response to people's concerns over the xbox one should not have been 'well then it's not for you'.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
More than twice as many ps4s have been sold compared to xbox ones.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

DaNerd posted:

Get on discord (in the OP) so it's more convenient to be mean to you.

DaNerd posted:

The 360 was a right time/right place situation that landed them in the top spot. Microsoft came out with an idiotic stance at E3 2013 and, while they reversed everything they said, there was enough damage done that PS4 won. Sony has since made a lot of right moves in regards to exclusives that MS really doesn't know how to do.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Looks like they are aiming for autumn 2018 for pc

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/948584768303607809

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

:negative:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My snap decision to buy a PS4 Pro has been vindicated

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

My snap decision to buy a PS4 Pro has been vindicated

:same:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Optimize faster you fucks

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Wow, and here I thought I was being generous in joking that it would only take them until Summer 2018. :lol:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
im sure sony is very pleased with capcom's decision to sell more ps4s and ps+ subscriptions

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
No you see, that’s a perfect release window - just in time to get finished with the PS4 version and then get started anew on the PC version :getin:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I was assuming Winter 18/ Spring 19 so you guys lucked out.

Edit: All things considered I could still be right though

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DaNerd posted:

It's both. PS4 has now sold just over twice the number of bones so it's a clear winner there, and there's also a number of PS4 console warriors here which is disproportionate even for that figure

If all your friends are on the bone then I guess that might be the right choice for you but in terms of the games you're getting access to, PS4 is the far better choice. And it you're buying for monster hunter specifically, capcom is already showing signs of playing favorites so you're almost certainly going to get the better experience on PS4. You can expect a much smaller public community and virtually nonexistent goon community on the bone for monster hunter as well, so the presence of your friends would need to make a pretty big difference for a bone to be a good idea at this point. I don't think there's any signs of it gaining any traction at this point. the PS4 has only continued to pull ahead this year.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DaNerd posted:

I’m gunna go against the crowd and say if your friends are all playing on XBone, then get an XBone. Less goons to play with, but if you think your friends will be playing for a while anyways may as well go with that. There'll probably be a handful of xbone goons anyways.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

help I'm about to buy a console I already own and then buy a game I'll already own

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lol if you don’t buy every version of every monster hunter game

Also lol if you don't mod every console to play a translated version of every jp monhun game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if it'd be worth it to upgrade to a PS4 Pro if I can pretty easily sell my current PS4 to make back about half the cost.

I'd been considering upgrading my PC this year but honestly, with all the five-year-old parts I'd need to upgrade, that's basically just going to be a full rebuild and that's going to cost way more than just getting a PS4 Pro and buying more console versions instead of PC ports for a while.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm going to second (or third) the idea of buying whatever console your RL friends play on, whether it be an Xbox or PS4 or PC.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
If you get it on PS4 you can remote play it onto a vita and have the optimal MH experience of poo poo controls on a tiny screen.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

My RL friends have short attention spans and rarely play the same game for more than a month, whereas there will be goons playing MHW till the release of MHW2 and beyond no doubt.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mailer posted:

The 360 was a right time/right place situation that landed them in the top spot. Microsoft came out with an idiotic stance at E3 2013 and, while they reversed everything they said, there was enough damage done that PS4 won. Sony has since made a lot of right moves in regards to exclusives that MS really doesn't know how to do.

Sony demonstrates a lot more self-awareness than MS. They needed to especially after the infamous "Five-hundred ninety-nine U.S. dollars" bit from the PS3 launch.

In fact, I'd say a crippling lack of self-awareness is MS' downfall this generation. They assumed that they had everything in hand after dominating the previous generation that they could just do whatever they wanted (Kinect, inability to trade games, etc.) and everybody would happily accept it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Saint Freak posted:

If you get it on PS4 you can remote play it onto a vita and have the optimal MH experience of poo poo controls on a tiny screen.

This guy fuckin gets it

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

I'm gonna charge my Vita for the first time since I got my Switch, and it's going to be ... serviceable at best!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I wonder how much my Xbox will trade in for

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Saint Freak posted:

You can do one better (worse) and remote play it on a Sony Z Compact phone

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Harrow posted:

I wonder if it'd be worth it to upgrade to a PS4 Pro if I can pretty easily sell my current PS4 to make back about half the cost.
Not worth it imo, the framerate option doesn't hit 60 fps in fights consistently and the game already has framerate pacing issues anyway. The other two options are just more vegetation/sharper hills vs more resolution. Just save the money for your PC build.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 3, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Saint Freak posted:

That means owning a Vita, and, well... :chloe:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

$60 for my xbone $250 for the cheapest ps4. Meh

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

s.i.r.e. posted:

That means owning a Vita, and, well... :chloe:

suffer for your art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
People making GBS threads on the Bone, but the XboneX will probably be the best looking/running console version. ( I don't own and will not buy one though. ) If it was going to be a month or two later I would have bought it for PC, but just going to stick with the PS4.