Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
THIS

IS

ABSOLUTELY

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Captain Invictus posted:

THIS

IS

ABSOLUTELY

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!

Reading is fundamental!

quote:

This really isn’t a matter of being petty or possessive; this is a complicated issue. White people cosplaying as GoGo Tamgo (an Asian-American woman) from "Big Hero 6," Princess Tatiana (the first black princess ever in Disney) or Korra (an Asian-American woman) from "Legend of Korra" is inherently problematic. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and feels both inappropriate and disrespectful. Systematic racism makes it extraordinarily difficult for people of color to gain any sort of visibility in pop culture to begin with. When white people jump in, ready to cosplay as us, it diminishes the importance of those accomplishments because those characters either become white-washed (and their racial identity is lost) or violent acts of blackface/brownface/yellowface are committed. It intensely disadvantages and further marginalizes us. Having people of color characters to cosplay as is a safe zone; it’s the one place where we are allowed to come as ourselves when many, many POCS get harassed for cosplaying as white characters. "How dare Sailor Moon be black!" "Cinderella is supposed to be white!" "Steven Universe can’t be Asian!" It feels like an intrusion into a safe space and a violent intrusion at that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Arguing that the perceptions of POC regarding white people co-opting minority characters don't matter is stupid.

Yeah it is because it doesn't matter. Do you throw a fit when a black kid dresses up like Spider-Man or Iron Man for Halloween?

The white people in your example are stupid.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah it is because it doesn't matter. Do you throw a fit when a black kid dresses up like Spider-Man or Iron Man for Halloween?

No, go back and read the loving article I quoted.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

This is actually perfect and I love it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

No, go back and read the loving article I quoted.

I did. Don't care. Dress up like you want. gently caress the haters. Life is tough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Reading is fundamental!
yeah like I'm gonna read some screed about how you're not allowed to dress up as a character you like, no thanks.

Bakalakadaka posted:

This is actually perfect and I love it
I actually love it too and all the other cosplays in that post, the post was not actually serious, as evidenced by the Lemongrab at the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Reading is fundamental!

People of color being harassed for dressing up as white characters is a problem and should not be tolerated. The solution sure as hell isn't "Oh yeah! Well then white people can't dress up as characters of any other race!"

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

What if a black person with albinism cosplays a black character?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Jade is a space alien so you're all being space racists (spacists)

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Also p sure there's no America in avatar the last chairbender

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

goddammit you guys this is the cosplay thread post some loving cosplay

Comiket was this weekend, and there was a lot of repeats from last year but there was some new and cool stuff.

Matsumoto and Hamada again, but I don't know who the others are. I'm assuming other JP comedians?

Akuma

Guy from Hellboy whose name I forget.

Dragon Quest group shot

Terra

Yuna

Gintama group photo

Kamen Rider 1

Gungrave group shot

No idea but it looks cool as hell.

Dark Souls Elite set

Jotaro

Shou and Nina Tucker

Green Lantern Spider-Man (?), ???, and ???.

Mr Ral and his Gouf

Black Lagoon group shot

Not sure, but it looks familiar for some reason

Giant Gundam group shot

Persona 5 MC

Alphonse Elric

KoF14 Team Women Fighters

Unicorn and Banshee Gundams

G Gundam stuff

Avdol - JJBA

Yuffie and Tifa - FF7

Horror movie/game squad

Galaxy Express 999

2B and A2 - Nier Automata

Psycho-Pass squad

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep MCs

Sol - Guilty Gear

Goku

Booze

Shadow Dio and Kakyoin - JJBA

Commando

Resident Evil squad

Noctis - FF15

The Hobbit

MGS group

And a character from a show about gambling addiction whose name I forget but was really popular at the show.

Like, insanely popular.

And finally some PUBG and DBZ
https://twitter.com/cococooweeeey/status/947650249308356608
https://twitter.com/Nanohana_Bs/status/948353652166508544

ACES CURE PLANES has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Jan 3, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Alphonse Elric

Finally, a good post. I always love seeing great looking Alphonse armor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

No idea but it looks cool as hell.
That's clearly Knack

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Green Lantern Spider-Man (?), ???, and ???.
The guy in the parka is Captain Cold, a Flash villain.

The one with the helmet is supposed to be the Red Hood, from Batman.

quote:

Like, insanely popular.
:stare: ...wow.

Some Numbers has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Jan 3, 2018

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Rhonne posted:

Finally, a good post. I always love seeing great looking Alphonse armor.

Yeah, that's exceptional. The attention to detail is mind-boggling.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

That Commando group is the best thing I've ever seen.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Comiket was this weekend, and there was a lot of repeats from last year but there was some new and cool stuff.

Matsumoto and Hamada again, but I don't know who the others are. I'm assuming other JP comedians?

I am not sure who the lady in red is supposed to be, but the person on the right is cosplaying as comedian Matsuko Deluxe. You can find her on panel shows as a regular part of the talent section, or in DownTown's annual batsu games as one of the celebrity guests. Also does a lot of TV ads.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

goddammit you guys this is the cosplay thread post some loving cosplay

Not sure, but it looks familiar for some reason

Sakura from Dangan Ronpa.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Do you throw a fit when a black kid dresses up like Spider-Man

Spider-man is black, though. :colbert:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

rydiafan posted:

Spider-man is black, though. :colbert:

Only in the comic books though. :sigh:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Artsygrrl posted:

I am not sure who the lady in red is supposed to be, but the person on the right is cosplaying as comedian Matsuko Deluxe. You can find her on panel shows as a regular part of the talent section, or in DownTown's annual batsu games as one of the celebrity guests. Also does a lot of TV ads.

Their twitter says they are Blouson Chiemi (Left) and Hirano Nora (Right)

(I would've said how they make Hamada dress too though)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

:perfect:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

It shouldn't, but it does. And my post is a complaint of yet another minority character being whitewashed by dozens of cosplayers. Here is an article that explains it better.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/to-white-cosplayers-who-cosplay-as-poc-characters

I agree, race mixing is disgusting

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Also I want to know how Korra is 'Asian American' in a world where Asia and America specifically don't exist.

Besides, I though Water Tribe was fake Inuit

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Atmus posted:

Also I want to know how Korra is 'Asian American' in a world where Asia and America specifically don't exist.

Besides, I though Water Tribe was fake Inuit

Yeah, no, there are interviews with the show creators about it where they explicitly spell out what cultures were represented.

Build Your Own Boat
Sep 11, 2006

Drink this

Now you're like me.

Thorin is making me uncomfortable.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

This is the Rathalos armor from Monster Hunter posing with a light bowgun of some kind. Possibly Rathian?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was wondering why this thread had 40 posts, since it's not usually that well-frequented.

Z-Sword training Gohan

Broly

Rohan Kishibe

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Guy from Hellboy whose name I forget.

Karl Ruprecht Kroenen

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yeah, no, there are interviews with the show creators about it where they explicitly spell out what cultures were represented.

Yeah nah, that's what he acknowledged in the spoilers, while pointing out how dumb it is to say Korra is Asian American cuz she's not, she's representing Inuit. Your point is dumb anyway

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I personally feel that anybody can cosplay anyone they want regardless of race. It's about expressing your love for a character, not about living as that character. If you were hired for a professional event or something, that'd be different, but hobbyists shouldn't be held to such absolute standards. I respect that POC cosplayers have a harder time being "legit" because of a limited selection of characters, and if they're harassed for stepping outside that box, the harassment should be what's addressed -- not the cosplay.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Their twitter says they are Blouson Chiemi (Left) and Hirano Nora (Right)

(I would've said how they make Hamada dress too though)

Thanks for that - I don't usually see anyone cosplaying as DownTown or anyone related to that circle of entertainers, so this is a rare treat. :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Karl Ruprecht Kroenen

Gesundheit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

I personally feel that anybody can cosplay anyone they want regardless of race. It's about expressing your love for a character, not about living as that character. If you were hired for a professional event or something, that'd be different, but hobbyists shouldn't be held to such absolute standards. I respect that POC cosplayers have a harder time being "legit" because of a limited selection of characters, and if they're harassed for stepping outside that box, the harassment should be what's addressed -- not the cosplay.

The only point where you should give a hoot about any cosplayer's skin color is if the character they're dressed up as has a non-human skin color. Like if you're in a Mr. Freeze or Hulk outfit that's pretty obvious. Or if you're a character with some kind of military background I think putting on camouflage facepaint can work then too. I mean just... don't be weird. Think things through a bit. Be orange or yellow if you wanna dress up as The Thing but not if you're going to be Jackie Chan. Just real simple stuff.

Various Wolverines

Black Panther

Wonder Red

Terry Mcginnis/Batman Beyond

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Karl Ruprecht Kroenen’

Strangly elaborate name for a rabbit tbh

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Kroenen was an interesting enough character, but it's still kinda weird to see someone dressing up as a nazi for fun.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Kroenen was an interesting enough character, but it's still kinda weird to see someone dressing up as a nazi for fun.

People cosplay as demons, supervillains, and other eeeeeevil characters that may or may not have existed all the drat time.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nazis were terrible, but they had great fashion designers. That said, I would still be wary of wearing their symbols out in public, costume or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jamesman posted:

Agreed. A clockwork zombie Nazi ninja is still a Nazi.

Though it is a bitchin character design.

Sentient Data posted:

Nazis were terrible, but they had great fashion designers. That said, I would still be wary of wearing their symbols out in public, costume or not

Friendly reminder that SS unforms were designed by Hugo Boss, and various tank parts were made by Porsche. And then there's Bayer...

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jan 4, 2018