Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

start of a thread:
https://twitter.com/lavados/status/948536300830851072

e: just to be clear i do think there's a ton of hysteria for what is rowhammer again

It really is scary that rowhammer's back from the dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

e: just to be clear i do think there's a ton of hysteria for what is rowhammer again

That seems to be the sense I'm getting trying to suss out the meaning of a bunch of vague comms about embargoed info. Still no read on if this is a financial catastrophe for Intel or not.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

mrmcd posted:

That seems to be the sense I'm getting trying to suss out the meaning of a bunch of vague comms about embargoed info. Still no read on if this is a financial catastrophe for Intel or not.
if this wasn't embargoed it wouldn't have 5 threads trying to talk about it but the mystery just draws in speculation

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

if this wasn't embargoed it wouldn't have 5 threads trying to talk about it but the mystery just draws in speculation

As long as you don't execute based on pure speculation you should be fine.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

mrmcd posted:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

mrmcd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJaM8qJNx8M

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
stolen from the grey thread

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

in theory a poc appears:
https://twitter.com/brainsmoke/status/948561799875502080

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Right, I keep forgetting that America is ultra-turbo-hosed, as opposed to the turbo-hosed it was previously. Y’all should move to Canada. We’re legalizing weed nationwide.

What do you think the OSC does when something like this happens? I'm interested to understand what part you think the SEC should copy. OSC requires annual reporting against the ASDP, not per-sale.

Canada is known internationally for having poo poo enforcement of domestic and international financial crime. Our record on insider trading is especially laughable.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

something something lord black of crossharbouring a fugitive

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/martijn_grooten/status/948581711696351237

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Uhhhhhhh I'm seeing a coinhive.js miner thing that hit a browser and my logs say its signed with a Juniper cert. What the gently caress?

Dunno if someone can track down a copy or something but here's the hash: 7A4ED680D5E94D437D2C9D41B07349D308A2E724D3C26C51A420DBBFF49ADADD

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

that's coinhive.min.js, do you happen to have a juniper box in your route reinspecting but somehow missing this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
^^^^^^^
Beat me to it, did it get inspected and re-packed?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Uhhhhhhh I'm seeing a coinhive.js miner thing that hit a browser and my logs say its signed with a Juniper cert. What the gently caress?

Dunno if someone can track down a copy or something but here's the hash: 7A4ED680D5E94D437D2C9D41B07349D308A2E724D3C26C51A420DBBFF49ADADD

Forged maybe?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Client system with no inline inspection, this thing came straight from the net. I hope like hell the signing is invalid but also Juniper can be loving idiots and I wouldn't put it past them to lose their signing keys. I don't have access to the system and this hellfucker AV platform doesn't let me pull from a quarantine remotely so all I have is the hash right now.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Subjunctive posted:

What do you think the OSC does when something like this happens? I'm interested to understand what part you think the SEC should copy. OSC requires annual reporting against the ASDP, not per-sale.

Canada is known internationally for having poo poo enforcement of domestic and international financial crime. Our record on insider trading is especially laughable.

As far as I was aware, the OSC focuses just on Ontario (because the TSE is there, I know), and there's not really a Canada-wide equivalent to the SEC because Canada's just leaned on the SEC to take care of everything. I don't really think the OSC does anything, which is why I didn't say "come to Canada, we prosecute our financial criminals" I said "come to Canada, we're legalizing weed nationwide." The white-collar poo poo doesn't really get better on our side of the border. We're still less poo poo than the US overall though, and I think all Americans should become Canadians. :canada:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Client system with no inline inspection, this thing came straight from the net. I hope like hell the signing is invalid but also Juniper can be loving idiots and I wouldn't put it past them to lose their signing keys. I don't have access to the system and this hellfucker AV platform doesn't let me pull from a quarantine remotely so all I have is the hash right now.

Source for the page request?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if the details we have so far are correct there will be almost no impact on "pure" cpu-intensive loads, since the fix so far suggested is a huge overhead on syscalls as the entire kernel pagetable needs to be established on entry and then fully discarded on exit. if there is a microcode fix it may indeed have some impact, but we have no idea what that would look like in that case. since games mostly avoid doing io during gameplay (and to the extent they do it is large streaming chunks), and graphics drivers bulk calls in userspace, most games should be fine, they just don't syscall much

bearing in mind that every context switch between processes will involve unmapping the kernel

so as a consumer you're fine, if you only have one process running on the system. i hope you like classic dos gaming

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Source for the page request?

Don't know yet. Looks like its coming in through a resident dropper that isn't being detected by anything at the moment. I'll need to send someone out to pull the thing so we can pick at it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
context switching already trashes your userspace tlb caches, i doubt the new effects from pti are going to be significantly measurable compared to that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Don't know yet. Looks like its coming in through a resident dropper that isn't being detected by anything at the moment. I'll need to send someone out to pull the thing so we can pick at it.
is it one of those captive-portals-with-a-bitcoin-miner?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

anthonypants posted:

or more recently hijacked isp with a bitcoin miner

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

I don't think so. The coinminer.js is coming in through some dropper that's packed in three+ layers of compressed archives. Its weird as hell and either Juniper lost their signing cert or they're doing something extremely weird that would expose their signing keys inappropriately.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
despite recent performance it appears apple have not fired all of their security professionals

https://twitter.com/aionescu/status/948609809540046849

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

start of a thread:
https://twitter.com/lavados/status/948536300830851072

well, it did lack practical relevance -- the KASLR is Dead: Long Live KASLR paper describes two attacks: 1) when you attempt to read a kernel address, you can measure the difference between reading a page that isn't mapped and reading a page that is mapped but you don't have permission to access and 2) sometimes on some CPUs you can extract part of a kernel code address by measuring branching speed to figure out what's in the BTB.

the first one isn't useful, it tells you where data is and where data isn't but it doesn't tell you what data is where, which is what you actually need to build a ROP chain targeting the kernel, and the second was so unreliable that it isn't useful on most hardware

it was extending this to timing the results of speculative reads that made the attack so interesting

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol that was quick. hosed up if true

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bearing in mind that every context switch between processes will involve unmapping the kernel

so as a consumer you're fine, if you only have one process running on the system. i hope you like classic dos gaming

i don't think that'll be much of an issue at all. for one scheduling quanta are huge compared to the rate of syscalls e.g. a database system produces, and further a process switch involves changing page tables anyway, so while the kernel mapping step (which may involve modifying the actual table rather than just setting c3?) does not happen the tlb is getting invalidated anyway, so a pretty big chunk of the cost was there no matter what

possibly even better, i am not sure about the details, but quite likely the kernel can just maintain two page tables in parallel for each process, one for the kernel view and one for the process view, making a process switch cost just two tlb invalidations where it used to be one (quantum expiring, breaking into kernel with a switch to the kernel view for that process, then another switch to new process), where the first invalidation is likely to be very low impact since the kernel has very little work to do (few pages to touch) to just switch to the new process. that still makes every syscall a tlb flush though which is what is a huge cost compared to how it works when the page table could be left alone

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

sure it took a while for those PoC papers to pay off but you have to admit it was worth the wait.

it will be interesting to see what the microcode fix will be. iirc those attacks aren't actually all that likely to work individually but instead rely on being able to repeatedly hammer the caches with the attack millions of times per second until sheer luck wins out. I wonder if it might be possible to watch for access patterns and faults indicative of the attack and halt/flush everything when they are spotted. I don't know how much flexibility they have with the hardware they are working to fix.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://twitter.com/valarauca1/status/948624846757310464

loving the hardware features that require permanently mapped virtual addresses

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
welp, at least x86 had a good run

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Itanium Is Back, Baby!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
But it doesn't effect AMD?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

looks like the amd patch is not getting into the first kernel release, and who the gently caress knows how microsoft is going to handle the issue.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

amd is affected differently

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
well i was planning on building a new pc this year but i guess im waiting for the next gen of intel chips :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kuvo posted:

well i was planning on building a new pc this year but i guess im waiting for the next gen of intel chips :shrug:

on the other hand AMD has always been honest about a 30% performance hit

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

:iceburn:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

i lold

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i knew playing doom for 24 years would eventually pay off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

idgi

• Locked thread