Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PierreTheMime posted:

I haven’t checked but didn’t Cawl have FNP in 7th? I clawed the poo poo out of him with a Tyrant and the player just sighed and removed him from the table after failing his meager invulns.

Also I’m still constantly amazed at a 4++ Invuln on Hive Tyrants. Going from a 6++ to nothing for years to a 4++ was incredible and funny/sad.

Cawl had rerollable FNP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
What do the plus signs mean for a test? Is 5+ an armor save, 5++ an invuln, and 5+++ a FNP?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

BJPaskoff posted:

What do the plus signs mean for a test? Is 5+ an armor save, 5++ an invuln, and 5+++ a FNP?

That's the typical convention, yes.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

I haven’t checked but didn’t Cawl have FNP in 7th? I clawed the poo poo out of him with a Tyrant and the player just sighed and removed him from the table after failing his meager invulns.

Also I’m still constantly amazed at a 4++ Invuln on Hive Tyrants. Going from a 6++ to nothing for years to a 4++ was incredible and funny/sad.

He did indeed. That rerollable FNP really made him survivable. I actually won an HQ royal rumble with him in 7th. Instead they gave him 3 more wounds and a reroll aura. That sigh is what I do with him every single time I field him.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Skitarii had a 6+ FNP, which has been replaced with a 6++ invuln.

If I was making a wishlist for AdMech, i'd want Nuerostatic Aura to actually loving do something for infiltrators, for Conversion Fields to make a comeback (because it was an awesome mechanic), Cawl to get that rerollable FNP back, and our 6++ switched to a FNP for Skitarii.

Cawl certainly doesn't feel like a 10,000 year old machine-man.

But I don't see how they'd do all that since they're not releasing further codices. We're stuck with what we have until 9th, right? Aside from point changes?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Among other things there were bits that made up for Skitarii not having any transports. Most everything died to a stiff wind but were surprisingly mobile; the basic infantry had scout moves, move through cover, and relentless. The last of which was only relevant for a single weapon choice that is now the only weapon in the game that you cannot move and fire with.

Dunestrider gave the CC troops and walkers 9 inches movement and a +3 to their charges. This lives on in a stratagem only the walkers get.... which adds an extra dice to advance moves on units that either want to charge or don't have any assault weapons.

Speaking of said CC troops. One of them had this neat 6 inch aura that lowered enemy combat skills. Now it just lowers leadership. At 3 inches.

Everything used to have FNP 6+. Now they don't, unless you choose a specific forgeworld stratagem that's not even as good because it only works on the model's last wound.

Both sub-factions had access to their own special rules that granted affected units large one-turn buffs. This has been condensed into a single list that grants small buffs 5/6ths of which are mostly redundant, incredibly situational, or outright useless.

In exchange we have some of the best goddamn guns in the game that aren't mounted on superheavies or other weird forgeworld bullshit. And even that's not enough because you just can't field enough of them to make up for, say, a tide of leman russes.

edit: I'm holding out hope for some new units in a campaign book or something.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 3, 2018

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I have updated my Dark Angels test model. I gave the green some edge highlighting so that the details weren't so muddled.

As always C&C is encouraged.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Felime posted:

Eeeeh, you could do a classy stahlhelm(say, paired with a neo-medieval look, or something. Any theme NOT immediately reminiscent of nazi germany), but the problem is that anyone desperate to use a stahlhelm is NOT going to do a classy stahlhelm, and if you do it classily, it's probably not going to jump out at you as "that nazi helmet."

hi have you heard of the death korps of krieg or perhaps the armageddon steel legion?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

ChineseConnection posted:

I've found some situational uses for Mob Up. As one poster pointed out below, its best used in keeping your ork boyz units above the 20 model threshold to keep their +1 Attack from the Green Tide passive. I've used it a handful of times when my first wave gets depleted to 10 units, then I merge them with the next engulfing unit of 30; it has the secondary benefit of keeping your model count high for Mob Rule morale tests. Other than that, I don't see the use. Some players were coming up with stupid ideas like merging large groups of nobs or kommandos together, but that seems like a waste of two command points to me.

The DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA strategem is pretty bad, and Ork players are saying its only practical use is on a large 10+ unit of Tankbustas.

Chapter Approved really helped in lowering the costs on Power Klaws and Big Choppas. Power Klaws are still a little overpriced, but it now makes them a viable choice over choppas if you're opposing enemy vehicles. The enormous point increase to Killbursta/KillKannon tanks was really unnecessary and kills a model that was only beginning to creep into the fringes of ork play.

Thanks for the info. The DAKKA stratagem might be worth it on a full squad of 30 shoota boyz (it should equate to one extra dead marine in a full volley) but outside of that it seemed rather limited. Mob Up seemed like the one that had the most promise. The point reduction on the Klaw was sorely needed, so I'm glad we got that.

I still want a full Codex so bad.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Anyone in the DC area good at building and magnetizing? I need to optimize my hobby time between now and Adepticon, and I was wondering if I could potentially pay someone to build and magnetize a Repulsor for me. I think it would take me too long to do well.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

jadebullet posted:

I have updated my Dark Angels test model. I gave the green some edge highlighting so that the details weren't so muddled.

That's much much better. Lookin' good.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Got a pic? Otherwise I vote Commander Cap.

It's just bits at the moment. I think that thematically the cap will work better.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The last of which was only relevant for a single weapon choice that is now the only weapon in the game that you cannot move and fire with.

Everything that you posted is spot on, but especially poo poo like this. Do you feel advanced yet? DO YOU FEEL ADVANCED!? Don't forget the cool formation that made all our plasma immune to overheating. That was rad as hell too.

I'm also holding out hope for future releases that'll plug the gaps, but hope, first step, disappointment.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

It feels like Dark Eldar all over again.

Who are ironically one of the better index armies.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Anyone in the DC area good at building and magnetizing? I need to optimize my hobby time between now and Adepticon, and I was wondering if I could potentially pay someone to build and magnetize a Repulsor for me. I think it would take me too long to do well.

I'm pretty sure I'm near you, and I love building crap. I'd be willing to take a shot at it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

hi have you heard of the death korps of krieg or perhaps the armageddon steel legion?

Death Korps are a WW1 smorgasbord and are more reminiscent of French uniforms of the era. Steel Legion draw on German paratrooper uniforms from WW2 but don't go whole hog with it. Valhallans are straight up Red Army though, just as Praetorians are Anglo-Zulu war British.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Just a quick correction for you here, but the DKoK are wearing WWI french helmets accented with a Stahlhelm style shrapnel guard. Everything else about them is French, minus the leg wraps which are British. Even their attitude is Verdun style French.

I only bring this up because WWI French are cool, and I'm tired of seeing Nazi DKoK. :D

Steel Legion are very much Wehrmacht inspired though, with futuristic additions. (And that makes sense because they are a highly industrial themed army)

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

The armageddon models except from the officers all have dome-helmets, but do have a distinctly german look to them.

DKK take a lot from WWI, and at least have the grimdark trench warfare clones thing going on.

Despite that(and the fact that they're retail nazis rather than lovingly converted tiny nazis), both regiments are a couple less tasteful insignia(lightning bolts) or a red and black banner away from me starting to be uncomfortable associating with their owner.

WW2 games kinda get a pass because nazis belong there, but the overlap between people who cram nazis where there don't need to be nazis, and people I'm not certain I want to associate with is pretty significant.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The real 40k Nazi army is far more subtle anyway - Forgeworld's Red Scorpions.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The real 40k Nazi army is far more subtle anyway - Forgeworld's Red Scorpions.

I think everyone knows they are literally nazis.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Just a quick correction for you here, but the DKoK are wearing WWI french helmets accented with a Stahlhelm style shrapnel guard. Everything else about them is French, minus the leg wraps which are British. Even their attitude is Verdun style French.

I only bring this up because WWI French are cool, and I'm tired of seeing Nazi DKoK. :D

Steel Legion are very much Wehrmacht inspired though, with futuristic additions. (And that makes sense because they are a highly industrial themed army)

WWI French are super rad, and it's the sole reason I want to do a DKOK army one day.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Felime posted:

I think everyone knows they are literally nazis.

I do not. What makes them Nazis?

(I am not trying to defend the Red Scorpions, I am just curious)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

I do not. What makes them Nazis?

(I am not trying to defend the Red Scorpions, I am just curious)

Their entire thing is genetic purity.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

That would do it, wouldn't it?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Come on over to my house and we can tackle it on a weekend. Or I can do it while you paint and we bullshit about stuff. You got magnets for it?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

I've got a lot of magnets, actually. I'll text you.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
That reminds me, I've got some corporate training in D.C. soon (probably late this month). Would anyone be interested in a friendly game if I were to pop into the area?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

I'd be down!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I, too, would be down for some 40K.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jadebullet posted:

That really helps IMO. I would thin down the highlighting a bit and try to make a bit thinner, but that will just take a lot of time and by your tenth dude or whatever you'll have it down just fine. I like the base (the skull work is fantastic), and overall it's a solid build.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Sex Cannon posted:

That would do it, wouldn't it?

And they're suggested to possibly be loyalist Emperor's Children.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Ew, gross. That makes them even worse.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

jadebullet posted:

Personally I'd probably do a contrasting color on the shoulderpad border as well, but it's looking much better as-is.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Thanks for the info. The DAKKA stratagem might be worth it on a full squad of 30 shoota boyz (it should equate to one extra dead marine in a full volley) but outside of that it seemed rather limited. Mob Up seemed like the one that had the most promise. The point reduction on the Klaw was sorely needed, so I'm glad we got that.

I still want a full Codex so bad.

Me too. I'm really hoping to see a codex before Adepticon, but I don't think its going to pan out. Last month I told myself I'd sign up for the grand tournament if there was still a spot open on New Year's Day, and would you believe my luck, there was one last open slot because someone else canceled. I guess I'm sending myself into the lion's den as this will be my first tournament ever, but since I'm just a couple miles away its to tempting to represent the Orkz in the big match up.

Do any veterans have any pointers or advice? My intent is to field a green tide army (90 boyz, 30 gretchins, 30 stormboyz + various infantry support units + about 600 points of artillery).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ChineseConnection posted:

Me too. I'm really hoping to see a codex before Adepticon, but I don't think its going to pan out. Last month I told myself I'd sign up for the grand tournament if there was still a spot open on New Year's Day, and would you believe my luck, there was one last open slot because someone else canceled. I guess I'm sending myself into the lion's den as this will be my first tournament ever, but since I'm just a couple miles away its to tempting to represent the Orkz in the big match up.

Do any veterans have any pointers or advice? My intent is to field a green tide army (90 boyz, 30 gretchins, 30 stormboyz + various infantry support units + about 600 points of artillery).

With an army that big your biggest issue will be time. Get plenty of games in and make sure you know how to play fast. Try to be as familiar as possible with all the various opponents, what's strong, what's weak, etc. The biggest thing is just getting out there and having familiarity with what you're strong and weak against. If you're going to be slogging a lot of guys on foot consider a Weirdboy to use Da Jump to get some threats where you want them. The biggest challenge with tournaments is just how loving long they take; spending a full day slamming hams can be brutal and it's easy to forget stuff. That's one of the nice things about Orks; they're a fairly simple army.

Power Klaws are your best anti-tank so I would revolve around those. The slugga boy is one of the most post-efficient units in the game so having a hoard of them is always good. I like using Battlewagons to get them across the field but on foot can work too.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The whole imperium is a mishmash of Catholic Crusaders, Nazis and British Imperialists so I don't know how one aspect of the Theocratic Fascist Empire is any more or less bad than any other part of it.

Dudes painting swastikas and SS lightning bolts on their 40k minis can gently caress right off though.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Does anyone in this thread perhaps have a SM Scout heavy bolter they'd be willing to flog me? Ideally including the arms as well. It's for a Sgt Harker conversion I'm planning, unfortunately eBay prices for one are pretty insane.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Sex Cannon posted:

Dunno if you found a goon yet, I can assist if need be- I fully magnetized mine, every single weapon is interchangeable.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Worked up a test model for my not-nazi steel legion models.

I'm thinking they are from heavily polluted acid mining world. Lots of safety yellow rubber chemsuits and black. Black vehicles and lots of hazard stripes. I've got some catachans and a few tallarns that will have the same scheme.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Skails posted:

Worked up a test model for my not-nazi steel legion models.

I'm thinking they are from heavily polluted acid mining world. Lots of safety yellow rubber chemsuits and black. Black vehicles and lots of hazard stripes. I've got some catachans and a few tallarns that will have the same scheme.

I absolutely love the idea of yellow hazard suit guardsmen fighting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't think anyone linked Tzeentch faction focus.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/03/faction-focus-tzeentch-daemonsgw-homepage-post-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PierreTheMime posted:

Personally I'd probably do a contrasting color on the shoulderpad border as well

Heresy. Get in the Luther bin.