Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

doingitwrong posted:

Is there a way to see whether a nation would give my war enemies Military Access? To help my planning?

In the current patch, just assume every loving one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

Is there a way to see whether a nation would give my war enemies Military Access? To help my planning?

Asking because I just tried to flex my naval superiority at the Mamluks and was extremely surprised to find that the Ottomans (who I didn't think had that good an opinion of them) gave them a open road to my home provinces. I found this out when I discovered thousands of their troops on my land.

Check their opinions/attitudes toward each other. It can't tell you with 100% certainty, but things like hostile/rivals or friendly make it obvious. neutral will also probably give it to them. Also if the nation in question hates your guts, they'll pretty much always give your enemies access.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I thought military access wasn't an issue in wars anymore (basically)

I never have trouble in the HRE or pretty much anywhere.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

It only takes 1 war participant to be a non-rival with somebody to get military access for all through that territory. So for small wars it's ok if say you're Hungary attacking Mamluks who are rivalled to Ottomans, as long as you don't have mil access to Ottomans. But if Tunis is also in the war and they're not rivalled to Ottomans, then it would be possible for them to get access which would also provide access to the Mamluks.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oddium posted:

karaman is coptic

this rules so hard i love this timeline

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

oddium posted:

1555 in my butua game

karaman is coptic

I have never seen something quite like this. Hungary usually stays put until austria annexes it, and there you have it snaking to loving Constantinople :stare:

That Serbia, too. drat! That's some interesting Balkans/Turkey. What happend to the Ottos?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Affi posted:

So ideas to survive as Grenada and re-re-qonqista?

Defensive seems good to start with, then maybe humanism for all the different cultures?

I'm going to avoid colonising until I've actually got a solid foundation to build on!

The Re-reconquista is relatively easy now because Morocco is very strong, and with them as allies you're roughly on even footing with Castile. Get military access with them and then park your armies in their territory so that they don't get crushed if Castile declares war on you. You can also get Aragon as an ally, because they're too strong to rival you. Defensive first is probably the best choice, but there are better groups for your second choice than Humanism. All the cultures in the Iberian peninsula are part of your culture group, so you only get minor penalties and no extra unrest.

Administrative is good because you're probably going to have to use a lot of mercs, and the core reduction cost is always useful. You'll save about 1200 admin mana over the course of the achievement, or a little under half the total cost of the idea group.
Religious is probably better than Humanism in this scenario, since you don't have to worry too much about cultures. Deus Vult will save you a lot of diplo mana and the +1 prestige will help your armies fight better and help you throw away garbage heirs.
Diplomatic will let you have more alliances and make them easier to acquire, and the -20% war score cost is one of the best ideas in the game if you ask me. The extra diplomat is also very useful as a duchy.
Influence doesn't really help you as much as it could, because there aren't that many countries you can make vassals out of in Iberia. It gets some of the same bonuses as Diplomatic, but Diplomatic is just better in this case.
Exploration is a good choice even if you're not planning to colonize immediately, because discovering America makes you eligible for spawning Colonialism. It's a gamble, but if you can take away Castile and Portugal's coastal provinces before 1500, then it's a much safer bet.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Affi posted:

Defensive seems good to start with, then maybe humanism for all the different cultures?

I'm going to avoid colonising until I've actually got a solid foundation to build on!

ally morocco and try to make castille fight on poo poo land, use your allies and do not be afraid to peace out early to gain territory. if you and morocco could beat them before you could definitely beat them when you have more land. if morocco gets bored of you faffing about for 100% and white leaves out however you basically get a game over right then and there.

once you get enough iberian clay you can try to take on aragon or look to see if portugal breaks alliance with england for easy expansion, but once you have most of the peninsula you should take off the morocco training wheels and go for extra land in north africa and look towards colonizing the caribbean or african west coast(or both !)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Affi posted:

If you dont mind restarting a few times try to get a start where both Portugal and Aragon have rivaled Castille. In that case one of two things happens

Either Aragon jumps on Castille with Portugal and you and the Berber Boys can join in on the dogpile, or Castille will attack you alone and drag your allies into it. If you get attacked all you have to do is whittle down their starting manpower pool to a nub and everyone in the neighborhood will wardec them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure Portugal will literally never rival Castile. I've certainly never seen it happen, and I think the historical friends modifier prevents it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just finished an African Power game and I've decided that's the last time I'm doing a game where I conquer a continent. It's just mind-numbing. A few interesting things happened though. For example, Prussia appeared in the early 1600s then slowly began to eat Europe. By game end, they had devoured almost the entirety if the former HRE. I was under the impression that if there was less than a certain number of princes, it just disbanded, but guess not. it was down to three princes and one elector with an itty bitty Austria but it kept on trucking.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

TorakFade posted:

I have never seen something quite like this. Hungary usually stays put until austria annexes it, and there you have it snaking to loving Constantinople :stare:

That Serbia, too. drat! That's some interesting Balkans/Turkey. What happend to the Ottos?

Ai ottomans has things harder now because Venice has a guarantee on Albania so if they don't get the City of the World's desire mission quick they go after their core instead and frequently jump face first into Venetians and Hungarians lead by incredible general Skanderbeg.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty sure Portugal will literally never rival Castile. I've certainly never seen it happen, and I think the historical friends modifier prevents it.

I havent been playing much around Iberia the past few DLCs but when I did re-reconquista around the time Art of War was the latest DLC it only took like 5 tries before they loaded up as rivals

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I'm pretty sure that won't work anymore.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm tempted to try a game of Lithuania but it might be too easy since they're pretty big from the start? Anyway, I assume the first order of business is to block Muscovy from gaining any land by alliances and guarantees and then preparing to take out the orders?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the first order of business as lithuania is tanking your economy and setting would-be powerful allies as rivals, then releasing and playing as zaporozhie

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

First order for Lithuania is forming Ruthenia.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

or smolensk. lithuania... "the land of Possibilities"...

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

AnoHito posted:

Check their opinions/attitudes toward each other. It can't tell you with 100% certainty, but things like hostile/rivals or friendly make it obvious. neutral will also probably give it to them. Also if the nation in question hates your guts, they'll pretty much always give your enemies access.

Ah. It was that last part that was the trouble. I also worked out that I can't give preferential military access. Which is too bad. A bunch of countries attacked a geographically isolated enemy whose massive ally (a rival of mine) was cut off by my lands. Both sides asked for military access and was surprised to discover that yes to one as yes to all. So I reloaded to see how it would look if I said no to everyone and things went much better for the side I was rooting for. They kept asking for access anyway and I kept refusing "trust me guys, I'm doing you a favour here."

Is there a map mode that shows me who I am at war with and where I have access? If there is I didn't notice it. It would be really nice to see a colour coded overlay of "attack these places" and "you can walk here to do it". As it is, I'm puzzling over the tiny shields of these reams of tiny HRE realms, mousing over province by province to try to figure out where Austria actually wants me to go.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 3, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

doingitwrong posted:

Is there a map mode that shows me who I am at war with and where I have access? If there is I didn't notice it. It would be really nice to see a colour coded overlay of "attack these places" and "you can walk here to do it". As it is, I'm puzzling over the tiny shields of these reams of tiny HRE realms, mousing over province by province to try to figure out where Austria actually wants me to go.

Diplo will show you war enemies, I forget if it shows you access too.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

Ah. It was that last part that was the trouble. I also worked out that I can't give preferential military access. Which is too bad. A bunch of countries attacked a geographically isolated enemy whose massive ally (a rival of mine) was cut off by my lands. Both sides asked for military access and was surprised to discover that yes to one as yes to all. So I reloaded to see how it would look if I said no to everyone and things went much better for the side I was rooting for. They kept asking for access anyway and I kept refusing "trust me guys, I'm doing you a favour here."

It used to not work like this, but it turns out "My enemies who I can easily crush are just hiding in another country I can't get to, making everything take way longer and letting them jump out annoyingly at me any time" is really obnoxious when it happens to you.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

AnoHito posted:

It used to not work like this, but it turns out "My enemies who I can easily crush are just hiding in another country I can't get to, making everything take way longer and letting them jump out annoyingly at me any time" is really obnoxious when it happens to you.

It can still happen, but only if they're involved in a war with someone else. I've been fighting someone when another nation tried to dogpile them, and they escaped into the other nation's lands where I wasn't allowed to follow.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You don't need them to be at war with anyone else but you, it still happens.

edit
Also screw your terrible and boring nation suggestions. Even the artillery crazies have dull NI's since they are so narrowly focused.

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 3, 2018

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Looking to get closer to having a complete game now that this is all on sale.

I still don't have El Dorado, Mare Nostrum, Mandate of Heaven, Rights of Man, and Cradle of Civilization. Am I missing anything important?

e: clarity

Flavius Aetass fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 3, 2018

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Art of War is must have

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Groogy posted:

Art of War is must have

yeah for sure. the ones i listed are the only ones i don't have

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Flavius Belisarius posted:

yeah for sure. the ones i listed are the only ones i don't have

Oh I took it the other way around as the ones you had.
On El Dorado I really loved to play South America with all the new events added there. Custom Nations is also super fun

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I still don't have El Dorado, Mare Nostrum, Mandate of Heaven, Rights of Man, and Cradle of Civilization. Am I missing anything important?

The diplomatic Macro builder stuff in Mandate of Heaven is really nice.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

El Dorado is cool if you're playing a colonial power or in the New World, though I hear the latter still isn't great. Also adds the custom nation designer.

Mare Nostrum has some quality of life stuff for naval gameplay and adds some espionage actions. Not critical but it's relatively cheap.

Unless some other DLC unlocks some of these features Rights of Man has a bunch of useful stuff: https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Rights_of_Man. Great Power mechanics, leader/ruler traits, and consort regencies are all pretty significant.

Just picked up Mandate myself so I can't comment on that one, and no idea yet on Cradle.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

oddium posted:

the first order of business as lithuania is tanking your economy and setting would-be powerful allies as rivals, then releasing and playing as zaporozhie

Any other tips for forming Ruthenia? I've been meaning to do a Muscovy but not Muscovy run as them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
When it comes to checking if someone at war with you will have military access to your land, just loving ignore it and assume they have it. I was Denmark and I declared war on England, who was allied with Henswi(sp) for some reason. Five years into the war, a little Henswi five stack shows up on my borders, having marched halfway across the planet to siege a fort they didn't even have enough men to siege with.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

skasion posted:

Diplo will show you war enemies, I forget if it shows you access too.

Yeah both are listed there, but then it’s a lot of clicks to go and see what territory each one occupies.

The best I’ve found for figuring out where on the loving map these hundreds of OPMs Austria’s dragged me into a war with are, is to open the war screen and follow the sue for peace button. This gives you a color coded map of the parts of the world you are fighting (it’s so you can pick provinces to demand etc). I’m kind of surprised that map isn’t just available as a map mode. It’s really useful.

I’m also surprised that the diplomacy macro thing that comes with the DLC omits the main things I want to use it for: offering condottieri and selling old ships. Otherwise it’s pretty great.

My semi Iron Man Venice newbie run has been going interesting so far. Still making a lot of mistakes. I miscalculated that I could cut the Ottomans in half with my big navy and dragged my allies into an extremely long war. The Ortomans were at war with the Mamluks when we started the invasion but I guess they worked out a peace deal. So then those giant stacks would come down and crush my guys. Pretty soon I’d lost all my objectives and the war score was looking grim. But I could see from the ledger that their forces were high but their manpower was low. And their enthusiasm was pretty low too.

They started sending me peace treaties with these onerous “you give up everything” terms. I declined and brute forced my way through near exhaustion with money and monarch points, keeping morale up. Meanwhile, a bunch of uprisings broke out and so the ottomans were fighting on a lot of fronts. The peace offers kept coming but they got milder and milder. Pretty soon the war scores started to move toward even. I began to contemplate the possibility that Austria and I might break the empire.

And then either the game or Austria declared the war a salemate and we were all forced to go home. A white peace. I didn’t gain but I didn’t really lose anything either. I guess I gained a truce and time without them breathing down my neck.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 4, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Do you actually sell ships? Is that cheaper then upgrading?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Affi posted:

Do you actually sell ships? Is that cheaper then upgrading?

Upgrading is the same price, it's just more convenient.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I need to double check but I think upgrading Iis the same price as buying the ships new, which means you’re leaving money on the table if you upgrade the ships instead of making new ones and selling the old ones. It’s faster to upgrade though and way less frustrating than clicking clicking clicking in the hopes of finding a buyer.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

rights of man is a must have. then mandate, el dorado, cradle, and mare nostrum imo, but those are just my personal preferences.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

pog boyfriend posted:

rights of man is a must have. then mandate, el dorado, cradle, and mare nostrum imo, but those are just my personal preferences.

You cant play anywhere outside of Europe effectively without the Common Sense dlc to allow for development to seed institutions

e: didnt even read the post you quoted assuming it was a generic 'which dlc is important' question; he probably has that one already

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Is there any good way to break into colonisation early as a north German minor without cheekily grabbing Iceland / Madeira / random province in North Africa?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there any good way to break into colonisation early as a north German minor without cheekily grabbing Iceland / Madeira / random province in North Africa?

Gotta boost your colonial range as far as it goes. Sadly there is no easy reliable way to do this as a german minor.

The 50% you get from exploration is basically a given if you are colonizing and wont be enough

the 20% boost you get from a Navigator DIP advisor is significant but probably still not enough to go from anywhere in the HRE to the Americas (or even Midway/Cape Verde).

Culture switching to Norway would probably take enough time that you would get dip tech 7 in the mean time and would defeat the purpose of 'fast' colonizing. But if you did that extra 33% would make it easy as pie to get into Greenland or Midway from the English Channel zone.

Your best bet might be to no-CB (best-CB) war on Brittany or an Irish minor before France/England annexes or allies them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

RabidWeasel posted:

Grab Suez.