Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Pretty sure the BMW and the other car (g37?) were racing. Why else would there be 3 people lined up filming them.

I was thinking the same thing after watching it again too. It's a total "why were they filming" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
At first viewing I'd blame the prius for slowly waddling across two lanes but if the other dudes are racing, gently caress them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

At first viewing I'd blame the prius for slowly waddling across two lanes but if the other dudes are racing, gently caress them.

I think that BMW is doing like double the limit too, which makes it hard to predict exactly where the other car is.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I got stuck in a double left turn lane behind guys blocking both lanes when the light turned green. I gave a little courtesy honk after a bit but the guy next to me laid on the horn for like 5+ seconds lol

The guy in front of me became all testorosal about it and kept like turning to mad dog me since he thought I did it. I just smiled and waved at him and he was chill after that, maybe because he saw my like 70yro mom in the car with me haha

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I hate people.
So I'm headed west on Chiles road to turn right onto the ramp on I-80 here:
https://goo.gl/maps/Gm178tFHZCw

I start my right turn and as I do, a car starts turning left onto I-80 into me. I lay on my horn. He starts losing his poo poo.
How does he think uncontrolled intersections work?

This seems to be a common issue at this intersection. People travelling east to make the left turn seem to think there is a stop sign or something for west bound traffic despite there being nothing of the sort.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Javid posted:

Pretty much this, yeah.

They deserve each other.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I cannot think of a better reaction than :discourse:

Absolutely beautiful.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

JFC my heart would probably explode with anxiety if that happened to me. Some guy in the Long Island Expressway spent 15-20 minutes trying to literally run me into other cars or off the road last year and I legit think it gave me some sort of PTSD for being in a car. Minor bullshit like people cutting me off and such gets my heart rate loving skyrocketing nowadays.

No joke I should probably :therapy:, as sad as that sounds

I used to work as a field technician and drove more than just about anyone besides OTR truckers, so maybe I'm just numb to it at this point.

I never really felt any fear in this most recent incident, more like a combination of mild amusement and "here we go..."

Ended up conspicuously recording video of the aftermath on my phone, in my experience this always seems to make these type of people deflate and back off.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I cannot think of a better reaction than :discourse:

Absolutely beautiful.

I wonder if that BMW is braking at maximum capacity. Speaking of, I've noticed this as a general trend in dashcam videos. Apart from all the Polish and Russian videos where people are running bald tires during the winter, people are having enormous brake distances even after it's obvious that they are braking. I know we have braking tests during our driving education in Sweden, but I still feel that people are massively under-using their brakes in emergencies.
I tried to brake as hard and fast as I could in my dads V70 and it felt like my face was about to tear off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

I wonder if that BMW is braking at maximum capacity. Speaking of, I've noticed this as a general trend in dashcam videos. Apart from all the Polish and Russian videos where people are running bald tires during the winter, people are having enormous brake distances even after it's obvious that they are braking. I know we have braking tests during our driving education in Sweden, but I still feel that people are massively under-using their brakes in emergencies.
I tried to brake as hard and fast as I could in my dads V70 and it felt like my face was about to tear off.

His reactions was poo poo, probably eyeballing his opponent. You can see the second car shedding speed fast as they jam the brakes, and the BMW doesn't notice the obstruction until they're well past the point of no return.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm glad a street racer in a BMW got owned by a Prius

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah I'm pretty sure he was splitting focus between his tach and mirror and going woooooooooooooooooooooooooooFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Despite the sheer stupidity of setting up a street race on a public road in broad loving daylight I'm sure he's the kind of guy that knows how to at very least he-man a leg into the brake pedal.

That being said I'm sure most people underestimate just how much brakes in a modern car can do. They don't really understand the driving appliance they own and spend an entire lifetime using only 5 to 10% of pedal travel.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xzzy posted:

His reactions was poo poo, probably eyeballing his opponent. You can see the second car shedding speed fast as they jam the brakes, and the BMW doesn't notice the obstruction until they're well past the point of no return.

Yep. It really is apparent he was more focused on the yardage markers and opponents on the course so he knew when to apply braking.

But hey, sometimes the safety car comes out and ruins the lap.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I-26 out of Charleston today.

I may have done 4WD donuts on the interstate. I am the person you (don't) share a road with. I made up for it by being a nice guy with 4WD and a tow rope.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Before I had a dash/helmet cam, I saw something similar. A badly modded WRX run up the trunk of a poorly driven Prius while doing a solo acceleration run. I stopped to give both sides my info as a witness, but did not hear from either.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So if the dudes were racing, who gets fault? 50/50?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Javid posted:

100/100, IMO.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
BMW was being stupid, but I'd say the fault lies with the moron who didn't turn into the near lane, which was clear, and decided to become a ramp in the far lane instead.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fermented Tinal posted:

BMW was being stupid, but I'd say the fault lies with the moron who didn't turn into the near lane, which was clear, and decided to become a ramp in the far lane instead.

He went into the other lane because the other douchebag racing was in the lane. But yeah, always near lane unless you're immediately turning left on the road you're turning on.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

iospace posted:

He went into the other lane because the other douchebag racing was in the lane. But yeah, always near lane unless you're immediately turning left on the road you're turning on.

Which it's possible the prius was doing, there's a left turn lane immediately there in front of him at the end of the video.

I feel like the damage to each vehicle was proportionate to their guilt, anyway.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Street racing? Get fuuuuuuuuuucked. Get your jollies without endangering the general public.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

EightBit posted:

Street racing? Get fuuuuuuuuuucked. Get your jollies without endangering the general public.

In the interest of fairness:
Inattentive Prius driving? Get fuuuuuuuuuucked. Make your merges without endangering the general public.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

davebo posted:

In the interest of fairness:
Inattentive Prius driving? Get fuuuuuuuuuucked. Make your merges without endangering the general public.

Kind of have to agree. To me it looks like they saw the car in the right lane but the other car was obscured by it and the prius didn't stop long enough to look hard at the other lane anyway. It was more "well car in the right so I'll cut across to the left..."
There could have been a car not speeding in the left lane but obscured by a truck, van or suv in the right lane, and the prius driver would have still pulled out and cut off whatever car (or even worse: bike!) was in the left lane.

E: of course street racing is bad and there was a crash due to the big speed difference, but even at legal speed it would have caused sudden braking by a car or bike in the left lane. And worse case scenario is whatever was in the left lane could have ended up being rear ended due to suddenly stopping due to being cut off by a fuckhead, and the prius driver not being hit, getting off scot free after not stopping at all and not learning any lessons, thinking "not my fault, I'm a good driver..."
So I really want the prius driver to get hosed and learn something and not all the blame to be on the bmw, although if street racing and 40km/hr+ over the limit the bmw will get all the blame (and deservedly so as that is endangering the public), but hopefully this makes the prius driver and more like them be more careful about pulling out into traffic.

I just went for a very short drive and I'm very angry about slow cars in the fast lane, can you tell? Not relevant to this incident but really makes me annoyed for 5min.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 4, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^
A non-controlled suburban road with frequent left turn lanes don't have a "passing lane" in the freeway sense. No roads have fast lanes.

Javid posted:

This kind of looks like California. A turning car can turn into any available lane on a road like this.
The question is whether this lane was available. That all depends on the speed of the BMW and the limit. I'd say the greater the speed approaches double the speed limit, the closer his liability gets to 100%. Right of way has its limits and when you're travelling way faster than expected, turning traffic can't be expected to determine that.
Other states are stricter. Under Minnesota law, a speeding vehicle forfeits all right of way. That means if you're doing 5 over and they can prove that, you're boned.
Then there is the last chance to prevent the incident. Based on the Infiniti's actions BMW driver was likely distracted and almost certainly could have stopped if he'd been exhibiting ordinary care. That's going to put a few more points in the BMW fault.
If the BMW is doing the limit, its gonna be like 10%/90% BMW/Prius, double, like 90%/10%.

This is before the whole street racing thing. If he or another party admits to the street racing, the case has zero jury appeal and the insurance company, if smart (and they're not always smart. I just sued a driver who hit me on my bike in small claims court. They low balled me. The driver, who pretty much acknowledged fault, was forced to travel 100+ mi to court at 8AM, because they wanted to save literally a couple grand. I got more than I'd have settled for. They lost a customer in her, and I certainly will never use them. They put their own insured through poo poo out of pig-headedness and cost themselves more money. If you have AAA insurance, reconsider. . . .), will want to resolve that thing loving fast.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

nm posted:

^^^^^^
A non-controlled suburban road with frequent left turn lanes don't have a "passing lane" in the freeway sense. No roads have fast lanes.

It's not relevant I said. I'm just in a bad mood for a while for unrelated reasons

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxVQ7ZEG1RU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mazel tov!

Why is it always someone running that light too? I feel like a lot of the 11'8 videos feature that, which IMO is way more reckless than ignoring height restrictions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Mazel tov!

Why is it always someone running that light too? I feel like a lot of the 11'8 videos feature that, which IMO is way more reckless than ignoring height restrictions.

quote:

Half a block before the trestle, a sensor detects overheight vehicles and triggers an LED blackout warning sign that was installed in May 2016. That same sensor also triggers a red-light phase at the traffic light directly in front of the trestle (installed in March 2016), so the driver has 50 seconds to read the warning sign next to the red traffic light and consider their next move.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's pretty interesting, but that's still a pretty worrying number of box truck drivers just flat-out blowing through a red light.

Like yeah, I know there are blaring signs everywhere that say "DONT GO UNDER THIS BRIDGE" but the red light thing, that dude doesn't even slow down for it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I hope as they put more signs and poo poo up that they are making penalties worse for hitting the bridge. At that point, you have had every indication that you need to find an alternate route, and you are either too stupid or too stubborn to do so. Throw the book at 'em (especially red light runners).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eventually they're gonna realize that literally nothing will stop idiots from ignoring the signs and be forced to lower the road somehow, regardless of what kind of piping is under there.

Or close the crossing permanently.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Until someone dies there it's very low priority.

Also a source of funding thanks to tickets to the idiots.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a relatively safe method to reveal the area’s worst truck drivers.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
They should just make like a balsa wood bridge a block before that bridge at the same height, so if a truck breaks through it they know their truck is too tall, then charge them $6,000 for replacement of the wood.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

davebo posted:

They should just make like a balsa wood bridge a block before that bridge at the same height, so if a truck breaks through it they know their truck is too tall, then charge them $6,000 for replacement of the wood.

This is like my idea of throwing toddler mannequins filled with ketchup at cars who speed in playground zones.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is like my idea of throwing toddler mannequins filled with ketchup at cars who speed in playground zones.

Except that your idea is way way better?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

There's an Ogri cartoon about this. Pram full of butcher's bits.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Don't you know a mayor...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

These are the "Drive Like Your Family Lives Here" traffic safety awareness signs completely blocking the left turn lane's view of oncoming traffic you share a road with:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Don't you know a mayor...

A mayor who was elected as punishment for not showing up to a meeting.