Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ryonguy posted:

I always wondered how the hell that passage made it through the various editing the church made in the middle ages. Kinda surprised since they threw out almost everything empowering woman (shout out to Judith) but kept the line of Jesus literally saying "Rich people deserve to go to hell".

Good extortion for soliciting donations from the rich. Remember there was a while where official Church doctrine was that you could buy your way out of Hell (indulgences).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

*10,000 words about how actually the 'Eye of the Needle' was just a gate in Jerusalem that was a bit tricky to negotiate with a fully laden camel and therefore it's just tricky for a rich man to get into Heaven, not, heh, impossible, like the loony left would have you believe*
[/quote]

It's weird that they focus on that with all the weird wordplay, when the bit before has Jesus saying "if you want to be perfect, sell all your possessions" as an addendum to the his answer of how you get into heaven.

Both the use of "perfect" and the way he says it after the commandments gives you ample wriggle room to say that while the *perfect Christian* would sell everything they own, doing so isn't strictly required. Much easier than silly word play, especially as there's good odds the original Hebrew actually said "rope". Which makes a lot more sense, but is less of a strong visual image.

If selling all your possessions IS a crucial requirement, then Jesus is kind of a dick for not listing it with the commandments, and only giving it up when the dude presses him for more answers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ryonguy posted:

I always wondered how the hell that passage made it through the various editing the church made in the middle ages. Kinda surprised since they threw out almost everything empowering woman (shout out to Judith) but kept the line of Jesus literally saying "Rich people deserve to go to hell".

It was a way for the church to put a check on the rich, landed nobles. Basically, "You may have unmatched power here on Earth, but that don't mean poo poo in heaven. And you got to go through me to make sure you don't burn in hell for eternity"

e: fb :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair, selling all your possessions is a dumb idea regardless of how much you have, unless your rich enough that your money makes money. Especially in modern times where people increasingly need certain possessions to interact with society. The way Jesus puts it, it sounds like "Be a hermit and starve to death" as opposed to just "Don't be a dick, if you have excess help someone out with it rather than buying a camel and a needle and trying to experiment." Then again he describes it as "To be perfect" so he's probably making a point about perfection itself being unobtainable but also giving hints on how to be better. No one would give all their poo poo away, I'm sure the wise men would have been offended that Jesus regifted their frankincense and Myrrh. :v:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Dec 31, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

AlbieQuirky posted:

Good extortion for soliciting donations from the rich. Remember there was a while where official Church doctrine was that you could buy your way out of Hell (indulgences).

You mean purgatory. There's no way out hell! :hist101:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I always thought the passage was more about having to make personal sacrifices to help other people. Sure, you can sit on your wealth, but you’ll do more by putting that money into action by assisting others who have less, and it’s through that sacrifice you understand more about having love and compassion. But I’m a filthy agnostic at best so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You mean purgatory. There's no way out hell! :hist101:

Yeah, Indulgences were to pay down your time in Purgatory after you die. Absolutions were what got you out of Hell, by basically wiping your soul clean of all sin.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There was a lovely old TRPG I saw once where if you had a character die and go to purgatory, there were rules for how much money your new character would have to spend in indulgences to make sure the previous one gets to heaven soon

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Also iirc "camel" is a mistranslation and is supposed to be "rope", which makes it a much more logical metaphor.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair, selling all your possessions is a dumb idea regardless of how much you have, unless your rich enough that your money makes money. Especially in modern times where people increasingly need certain possessions to interact with society. The way Jesus puts it, it sounds like "Be a hermit and starve to death" as opposed to just "Don't be a dick, if you have excess help someone out with it rather than buying a camel and a needle and trying to experiment." Then again he describes it as "To be perfect" so he's probably making a point about perfection itself being unobtainable but also giving hints on how to be better. No one would give all their poo poo away, I'm sure the wise men would have been offended that Jesus regifted their frankincense and Myrrh. :v:

Jesus was a doomsday prophet and Christianity in general believed the world would end within the lifetime of people living for about a hundred years until it didn't happen and they kinda phased that out.

See also: a bunch of Paul's letters where he tells people not to have kids cause they're gonna die soon anyways.

Early Christianity was all about doing weird and unsustainable things since gently caress it, the apocalypse was coming

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

*10,000 words about how actually the 'Eye of the Needle' was just a gate in Jerusalem that was a bit tricky to negotiate with a fully laden camel and therefore it's just tricky for a rich man to get into Heaven, not, heh, impossible, like the loony left would have you believe*

It's weird that they focus on that with all the weird wordplay, when the bit before has Jesus saying "if you want to be perfect, sell all your possessions" as an addendum to the his answer of how you get into heaven.

Both the use of "perfect" and the way he says it after the commandments gives you ample wriggle room to say that while the *perfect Christian* would sell everything they own, doing so isn't strictly required. Much easier than silly word play, especially as there's good odds the original Hebrew actually said "rope". Which makes a lot more sense, but is less of a strong visual image.

If selling all your possessions IS a crucial requirement, then Jesus is kind of a dick for not listing it with the commandments, and only giving it up when the dude presses him for more answers.
[/quote]

There's another passage where a woman bathes Jesus' head with an expensive perfume and the Disciples yell at her because she could have sold it and given the money to the poor, and Jesus chews them out for it because "you will always have poor, but you will not always have me."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well I mean if you have the opportunity to literally hang out with God it seems like that should be your #1 priority yeah.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Well I mean if you have the opportunity to literally hang out with God it seems like that should be your #1 priority yeah.

this was one of my mom's primary justifications for joining a cult, ama

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

this was one of my mom's primary justifications for joining a cult, ama

How hot was the cults god?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Barudak posted:

How hot was the cults god?

here he is claiming to lift three and a half tons with one arm

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah from the GIS on that image we're gonna need more details, link a thread.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Zore posted:

Jesus was a doomsday prophet and Christianity in general believed the world would end within the lifetime of people living for about a hundred years until it didn't happen and they kinda phased that out.

See also: a bunch of Paul's letters where he tells people not to have kids cause they're gonna die soon anyways.

Early Christianity was all about doing weird and unsustainable things since gently caress it, the apocalypse was coming

One STRANGE TRICK to get into the holy kingdom!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749916&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=129#post474651203

quote:

The Circumcellions had thought long and hard about the 'path' to heaven, and realized that there was a loophole. It was clear that the Bible gave a straight path to heaven if one is a martyr, and so martyrdom became the sole aspiration of the Circumcellions, which they regarded as the ONLY Christian virtue - thus rejecting the primacy of chastity, sobriety, humility, and charity.

Because Jesus had told Peter to put down his sword in the Garden of Gethsemane, the Circumcellions avoided bladed weapons and used clubs. They took to fashioning absolutely massive wooden clubs, which they called "Israelites", and would hide along well-traveled trading paths waiting for unwary travelers to come along. When they saw a victim, they would jump out and beat them with their clubs while shouting "Deo laudes!" ("Praise God!"). The goal was not to take anything, not to kill the person - only to beat and annoy them enough to goad them to fight back, and hopefully, kill them and thus make them a martyr. It was the ultimate way into heaven, after all, and it was considered a special blessing if the person doing the killing was a member of the church or any variety of town official.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

C.M. Kruger posted:

One STRANGE TRICK to get into the holy kingdom!

This is easily one of the best things I've heard about in a while. I am astonished that they somehow managed to make it nearly a century.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

quote:

UNDYING FLAGELLANT

Unable to fully reach true devotion, and resultantly undeserving of entry to the Kingdom, the Brotherhood of the Holy Scourge divined a method of self abuse that would cleanse them of sin, but send them into a state of half death. Wandering the land and collecting alms, the undying monks seek worthiness through their self debasement. They deceive themselves with notions of piety, but secretly derive pleasure through their pain. This sin of pleasure negates their purpose, and their path has cost them their mortality, binding them to the earth, and robbing them of any chance to die and ascend.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Didn't Night Travels of the Elven Vampire also have a sequel/rewrite that she covered?

SURE DID! And it has a less... copyright-problematic cover. She also wrote some gunslinger thing? This tag has all Crevette's Laverne stuff.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
You guys should check out GBS's "Post pictures of weird and wonderful books" thread if you haven't already.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842135

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

I read that as undying flatulent at first

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Reminder that crevette is the French word for shrimp.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Reminder that crevette is the French word for shrimp.

I thought that was "une petite pâtisserie"?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

I thought that was "une petite pâtisserie"?

The day I stop finding this joke funny is the day I cash out on life.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There was a kids book I read ages ago set in Whitby called Clock of Doom that I remember being actually kind of interesting - it was about a clock tower carved from pure obsidian that was evil for some reason, and it hid itself by speeding up local time until a massive forest surrounded it, keeping it hidden for hundreds of years. (It's power was that it could manipulate time) It had a neat climax surrounding what it called it's Dance of Death, in which it hypnotises a bunch of people into circling it, and rapidly fucks with time causing them to rapidly age and regress from extreme old age to extreme infancy - the main character tries to stop it by climbing it, but is constantly being affected by the dance, so at times his hands will be too decrepit to grip a handhold properly or he'll become too young and helpless to understand what he's doing.

It was definitely interesting. Can't recall if it was good or not. Did anyone else ever read that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

There was a kids book I read ages ago set in Whitby called Clock of Doom that I remember being actually kind of interesting - it was about a clock tower carved from pure obsidian that was evil for some reason, and it hid itself by speeding up local time until a massive forest surrounded it, keeping it hidden for hundreds of years. (It's power was that it could manipulate time) It had a neat climax surrounding what it called it's Dance of Death, in which it hypnotises a bunch of people into circling it, and rapidly fucks with time causing them to rapidly age and regress from extreme old age to extreme infancy - the main character tries to stop it by climbing it, but is constantly being affected by the dance, so at times his hands will be too decrepit to grip a handhold properly or he'll become too young and helpless to understand what he's doing.

It was definitely interesting. Can't recall if it was good or not. Did anyone else ever read that?

That reminds me of the early script for Cube 2: Hypercube. There's rooms where 4 dimensional gears under the floors cast shadows in our dimension, and stepping on them causes rapid aging because time moves faster over them. The protagonist steps on one and it heals his sprained ankle, so another guy thinks it must be a healing shadow and sticks his hand in until it withers several decades. He ends up dying later when he accidentally walks through a gear shadow and half of his body ages 100 years so he's not able to pull himself away from a threat, and he falls halfway on a shadow until his lower half turns to dust.

There's also rooms where time is slowed down or sped up only for the people in it, so there was going to be a scene where everyone ran through one of the rooms and it played out in comical fast forwarding.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The day I stop finding this joke funny is the day I cash out on life.

Did it start with the dude with the shrimp avatar, or is there something else I'm missing?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Did it start with the dude with the shrimp avatar, or is there something else I'm missing?

Yes. He posted in a thread where someone posted a picture of some chinese food with shrimp on it and had no idea what shrimp were. There was an amazing series of photoshops about it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thing is, IIRC the original picture's quality was so bad, it would have been possible to mistake them for small pastries, maybe a strange, large kind of bean (or maybe my eyes are just that bad). However, the poster doubled down, and said something like 'shrimp are an uncommon food, how would you expect a normal person to know what those are?!' and things went on from there.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

It starts here. Honestly, they are pretty clearly prawns.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770505&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#post459943640

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Huh, so they are- my memory's taking the piss, it seems.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

There's another passage where a woman bathes Jesus' head with an expensive perfume and the Disciples yell at her because she could have sold it and given the money to the poor, and Jesus chews them out for it because "you will always have poor, but you will not always have me."

I always read that as "Hey, relax, there'll be plenty of poor people left when I'm gone." If anything it's an argument against strict fanatical utilitarianism- do a good thing, don't worry about it not being the most optimal thing you can do.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Maxwell Lord posted:

I always read that as "Hey, relax, there'll be plenty of poor people left when I'm gone." If anything it's an argument against strict fanatical utilitarianism- do a good thing, don't worry about it not being the most optimal thing you can do.

It's also Judas who's chewing her out, so Christ is giving him some poo poo because He knows what a dick he is.

Also, Jesus had been walking a really long time and was tired, and the lady was doing something nice for Him.

And finally, He was quoting the Pentateuch (can't remember which book), and somewhat sardonically; the context of the original verse is God saying, through Noah, "If you follow these laws, especially the ones about how to treat your neighbor, then no one will be poor. But since I know you won't, and therefore the poor will always be with you, take loving care of them, you garbage people." (My paraphrase may contain some editorializing.)

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, I’ve read it! Can’t recall if it was actually good or not but the whole loving with time thing was pretty scary to me at the time. I think the clock starts aging people so much that they become skeletons and crumble into dust, only to turn them back into babies and start over again? The cover was badass too.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Tardigrade posted:

Wow, I’ve read it! Can’t recall if it was actually good or not but the whole loving with time thing was pretty scary to me at the time. I think the clock starts aging people so much that they become skeletons and crumble into dust, only to turn them back into babies and start over again? The cover was badass too.

Rape clock: the clock that rapes

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Keith Thompson doesn't belong in this thread. I'd like to read more of his stuff (especially about the necromancer with a machine womb or that kingdom where angels are machines), but afaik he does only illustrations and these synopses are just companions for his art (hopefully somebody will correct me on that)

Edit: also - this Clock of Doom reminds of Terry Prattchet's Thief of Time

canis minor has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Jan 3, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Oh boy

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

In theory this would mean characters act like people and things don't happen at random and there's a bit more nuance to the villains than them just being generic bad guys. In practice, the protagonist will be an autistic robot who cruises through life because ~rational actor~ and the villains will be bad because they think the protagonist is a shitcock. Everyone else will fellate the protagonist because he's so rational and smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Slime posted:

In theory this would mean characters act like people and things don't happen at random and there's a bit more nuance to the villains than them just being generic bad guys. In practice, the protagonist will be an autistic robot who cruises through life because ~rational actor~ and the villains will be bad because they think the protagonist is a shitcock. Everyone else will fellate the protagonist because he's so rational and smart.

in what way are the rules of the world sane or consistent