Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Neon Belly posted:

I have it on good authority he also spends too much time looting in pubg.

Let's go champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I'm doing Sanda/kickboxing. Tonight's class, we were mostly focused on fists, and we did some sparring at the end. I've noticed that I fight very defensively. It annoys me. I know that I'm throwing punches better now than I was a few months ago, and my guard is better, but I can also tell that I'm very defensive, and for every 1-2 punches that I throw, I'm receiving/blocking 3-5, usually as I dodge or move away. I am mostly fighting with people with more experience. They are not fighting overly aggressive with me either, so it's not that.

Is this something that will improve, on its own, with time/skill, or is it something that I have to consciously think about while I fight?

I'm getting better about keeping my eyes on my opponents, and not taking my eyes off of them. I'm not expecting to beat my opponents, but I would like to not get pushed around the mat during the whole sparring session.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Juanito posted:

They are not fighting overly aggressive with me either, so it's not that.

Is this something that will improve, on its own, with time/skill, or is it something that I have to consciously think about while I fight?

It'll improve with time, but you can try to actively improve your tactical habits.
Especially with a kickboxing ruleset, you'll probably feel constrained throwing and defending hands only.

When in doubt, jab as fast as you can, with as much reach as you can without compromising your stance. You have to tell yourself that sparring is the time to experiment and take chances with your offense. Jab and expect the more experienced opponent to land a soft counter. But at least land your jab. Getting that range down is the start to other combinations.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Juanito posted:

I've noticed that I fight very defensively. It annoys me.

I think this is fairly common for people in any martial art with live sparring. There’s a certain point where your knowledge of the art is way ahead of your actual ability, and it becomes a bit paralyzing. Anticipating all the possibilities of your partner’s offence, and knowing what openings you leave when attacking can build a pretty huge mental block that makes it much more psychologically comfortable to be overly defensive.

(This usually happens around when people transition out of being a beginner or novice... I guessed at your experience level based on your wording, so excuse me if I’m off the mark here.)

This phase does actually help advance your defensive skills, mainly because that’s what is being trained the most, but you don’t want to stay here for very long. In order to get past it, you might need to put some work into opening up more. It’s mostly a subconscious thing that causes it, so try to make a conscious effort to not worry/care about “losing” during training. If your mindset is stuck in that defensive zone, then what feels reckless to you is probably around the correct balance.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fencing obviously lacks the "ow I'm being punched" factor, but I've noticed I don't try attacks I'm not confident will work. At my level that easily feeds into this negative feedback loop where I try something and it doesn't work so I don't try it again so I never practise it so it doesn't work...

Gotta embrace the suck and focus on the times when those things do work, I guess.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Thanks, appreciate the advice.

Going to work on my jab. It's definitely a little weak, and I've been reminded in class that I need to be jabbing more.

Also need to worry less about getting hit and "losing" and just focus on doing my combinations, while keeping my guard up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just do your offense when you think you have an opening, and adapt your defense to how (if) you get countered.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Hi punchsporters, I'm due to buy a bunch of new shorts for working out in and I'm not a fan of how baggy basketball or gym shorts are. I've had some MMA shorts that fit tighter but were still super flexible that were great, but I can't remember what they were. Anyone able to suggest something? Preferably either fairly cheap or well-made so that they'll last a long drat time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How long on the leg do you want them? Board short length? Did yours have a stretch fabric panel?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Pretty short is fine, like halfway down the thigh is plenty, I just don't want to be swimming in fabric. IDC about material much as long as I can squat in it with no problems. Old ones I had were made entirely of stretchy fabric, but I bought those like a decade ago. I already have tights so modesty isn't a huge concern.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Spats are always the answer.

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess
Is there any difference between boxing and kickboxing that a newbie would care about? Other than that kicks may happen. I was going to get a trial for boxing but the kickboxing/brazilian jiu jitsu place is closer and looks nicer. Brazilian jiu jitsu seems neat too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wrong way posted:

Is there any difference between boxing and kickboxing that a newbie would care about? Other than that kicks may happen. I was going to get a trial for boxing but the kickboxing/brazilian jiu jitsu place is closer and looks nicer. Brazilian jiu jitsu seems neat too.

At a very introductory level, I think boxing is more focused on the upper body. That's more nuanced than it would seem at the surface -- there's lots of technique/movement in boxing that involves your core and legs, but I don't think it gels in the first few months of training.

How hard you train, the proportion of drills vs cardio, when you're allowed to spar -- all that varies a lot from gym to gym and determines what you'll get more than the ruleset differences between the sports.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Whilst I love boxing and can't kick for poo poo, if you are looking for mma or self defence geared training pick kickboxing over boxing. The only reason I can see someone picking a boxing gym is because they have a specific interest in boxing or they are near a high level pro tier boxing gym and have an interest. Other than that, all things being equal, go for bjj kickboxing for a more well rounded game.

It's always funny to see someone throw even a semi leg kick in a street fight against someone who doesn't train and see their surprise followed by the quick realisation that they really should not have picked the fight they are currently in.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you have poor knees or ankles, regular boxing might fit you better. But just go try both out and pick the one that suits you better. (Also try the BJJ.)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Siivola posted:

If you have poor knees or ankles, regular boxing might fit you better. But just go try both out and pick the one that suits you better. (Also try the BJJ.)

I think kickboxing actually allows you to have have success with a stiffer legged, less mobile style. You might have to throw front kicks once in a while, but overall less stress to the knees compared to the footwork in boxing.
That said, you'll only be able to put together the less-stressful style by doing a lot of sparring and wearing the knees in the first place.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Whilst I love boxing and can't kick for poo poo, if you are looking for mma or self defence geared training pick kickboxing over boxing. The only reason I can see someone picking a boxing gym is because they have a specific interest in boxing or they are near a high level pro tier boxing gym and have an interest. Other than that, all things being equal, go for bjj kickboxing for a more well rounded game.

It's always funny to see someone throw even a semi leg kick in a street fight against someone who doesn't train and see their surprise followed by the quick realisation that they really should not have picked the fight they are currently in.

Unless your speaking about Muay Thai specifically I'll disagree. At a base level boxing is better for self defense as it teaches better distance management, footwork and head movement.

But yeah, take jiu jitsu and come be a grapple bro.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For basic self-defense and fitness, boxing vs kickboxing vs muai thai is tomato tomato. Go to the best club.

You're way better off taking a fitness class in a kickboxing gym that has competition stream people and sparring than in a purely fitness boxing club with dumb "levels" and nothing resembling a competitor in sight, and vice-versa. A good club will have a ring and/or headgear lying around. A lovely club will have like 30 heavy bags and lots of motivational posters.

If they're both actual competition clubs, go to the one where you like the people/schedule/price.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

JaySB posted:

Unless your speaking about Muay Thai specifically I'll disagree. At a base level boxing is better for self defense as it teaches better distance management, footwork and head movement.

Good point.

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm overweight but my knees/ankles are fine. I’ll get the trial going and roll around a kick people.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Hi punchsporters, I'm due to buy a bunch of new shorts for working out in and I'm not a fan of how baggy basketball or gym shorts are. I've had some MMA shorts that fit tighter but were still super flexible that were great, but I can't remember what they were. Anyone able to suggest something? Preferably either fairly cheap or well-made so that they'll last a long drat time.

I got these for nogi BJJ that I don't do very much but they are great workout shorts. The sides are split so squatting is easy, they are less baggy then the pics make them look.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050UP8V6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No pockets kind of sucks for workout shorts.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Anybody have any MMA/grappling gloves that they like? Looking for something with good cushioning, since we throw a lot of punches. Boxing gloves are like mittens when you've been thrown to the ground by an opponent wearing MMA gloves, and have to wrestle with them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Juanito posted:

Anybody have any MMA/grappling gloves that they like? Looking for something with good cushioning, since we throw a lot of punches. Boxing gloves are like mittens when you've been thrown to the ground by an opponent wearing MMA gloves, and have to wrestle with them.

What is the rest of the class using? I'm guessing an 8oz shooto-style glove?:
https://www.combatsports.com/combat-sports-mma-sparring-gloves-2.html

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

What is the rest of the class using? I'm guessing an 8oz shooto-style glove?:
https://www.combatsports.com/combat-sports-mma-sparring-gloves-2.html
They're using gloves more like these:
https://www.amazon.com/RDX-Grappling-Fighting-Sparring-Training/dp/B00PFWAI8W/

I feel their punches more, but I also think it hurts them more. I like the gloves you showed. Good padding, and free fingers.

A majority of the class only has boxing gloves, so any grappling gloves will give me an advantage.

Juanito fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 3, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Juanito posted:

A majority of the class only has boxing gloves, so any grappling gloves will give me an advantage.
I'm surprised the instructors don't require specific gear for the class.
Is this class MMA or Sanshou? For the sanshou ruleset, boxing gloves are just fine. Bodylocks are uncommon inside the allowed clinching time, and everywhere else, gloves are adequate or even an advantage -- holding onto someone's foot for a second while you sweep them out is more efficient with the built-in curve of the glove doing the work for you.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Juanito posted:

Don’t be that guy

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

I'm surprised the instructors don't require specific gear for the class.
Is this class MMA or Sanshou? For the sanshou ruleset, boxing gloves are just fine. Bodylocks are uncommon inside the allowed clinching time, and everywhere else, gloves are adequate or even an advantage -- holding onto someone's foot for a second while you sweep them out is more efficient with the built-in curve of the glove doing the work for you.
The class is a mishmash. It's mostly Sanda, but we also do MMA. So there are different focuses at different times. It's kind of nice. So mostly we're working on punching/kicking, and then at times there is more focus on the ground.

Regarding the gear, I think it's more that people aren't willing to buy the gear that they should buy. Some people don't even bother buying boxing gloves and prefer to use some nasty, nasty boxing gloves that are here at the gym. I wore them my first class, and never again, because they are bad.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Don’t be that guy
Yeah, I know what you mean. I make an effort not to be that guy. I've got shin guards that I only wear if I'm sparring with the 3-4 other guys that wear shin guards. If I can use grappling gloves to avoid getting tripped/thrown to the ground, then I'm all for it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Juanito posted:

I've got shin guards that I only wear if I'm sparring with the 3-4 other guys that wear shin guards. If I can use grappling gloves to avoid getting tripped/thrown to the ground, then I'm all for it.

You should always wear shin guards. They're for your protection even if you're landing on someone else's (unpadded) shin.
Don't try to look for absolute fairness in drills or sparring. Gear up and make your training as safe as possible.
Agreeing not to throw kicks is one thing, but not wearing shin guards cuz your partner isn't doesn't make sense.

Boxing gloves have one more advantage in that they're a much bigger, less-pointy object to poke into someone's eye. If the most you're doing is throws and takedown defense, I would never put on grappling gloves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"That guy" is "that guy who treats class as a fight or competition."

There is no winning or losing in the gym, so there's no need to look for any advantage against your training partners. Be a good training partner.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Thanks, guys. The more comments that I receive, the more I realize how disorganized/unclear some things are where I'm going. I think at a technical level, the skills are good. The exercise/cardio is great too, it's an intense workout that is helping me get into shape. But at a high level, the class is all over the place. I think the instructor is moving away from Sanda, and just moving to a broader combat focus. I've only been there since August, and consider myself a noob, but I think it's so dumb to have new guys sparring right away, even though that is what I did. It's completely dangerous.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Juanito posted:

but I think it's so dumb to have new guys sparring right away, even though that is what I did. It's completely dangerous.
Your gut instinct that throwing people in with very little experience into sparring is dangerous is correct.
How heavy or light are people throwing in the sparring that you experience?
How much oversight and feedback is there by the instructor and senior students?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

Your gut instinct that throwing people in with very little experience into sparring is dangerous is correct.
How heavy or light are people throwing in the sparring that you experience?
How much oversight and feedback is there by the instructor and senior students?
The less skilled the person, the heavier they're hitting or trying to hit, I think. There are a few senior students who are more careful, and trying to offer advice. But some people get a little too excited with the fighting, and go too hard.

There is some oversight/feedback, but last week there were like 16 students (3 in their very first class, 3 more in their first month) so there is no way the instructor can be watching 8 groups spar too well. He'll sometimes warn people, or remind others about skill levels. He'll make sure some matches don't happen, like an aggressive new guy with one of the female fighters, and he'll sit out injured people. But sometimes one of the matches ends up being two new guys lobbing each other, which seems completely ridiculous and dumb. And probably the reason, a lot of new people don't return, although the cardio itself is intense.

I do get some good feedback with some of the fighters. When I spar with a new guy, I stay mostly defensive, and swing little. I find with new guys, if they get heated, then they go kind of crazy with the punches. I'm not skilled enough to completely avoid getting hurt... and there is nothing impressive about kicking the poo poo out of someone's leg when they haven't even learned about it. Also to me, the exercise is more important than getting a stupid injury.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Juanito posted:

The less skilled the person, the heavier they're hitting or trying to hit, I think. There are a few senior students who are more careful, and trying to offer advice. But some people get a little too excited with the fighting, and go too hard.

There is some oversight/feedback, but last week there were like 16 students (3 in their very first class, 3 more in their first month) so there is no way the instructor can be watching 8 groups spar too well. He'll sometimes warn people, or remind others about skill levels. He'll make sure some matches don't happen, like an aggressive new guy with one of the female fighters, and he'll sit out injured people. But sometimes one of the matches ends up being two new guys lobbing each other, which seems completely ridiculous and dumb. And probably the reason, a lot of new people don't return, although the cardio itself is intense.

I do get some good feedback with some of the fighters. When I spar with a new guy, I stay mostly defensive, and swing little. I find with new guys, if they get heated, then they go kind of crazy with the punches. I'm not skilled enough to completely avoid getting hurt... and there is nothing impressive about kicking the poo poo out of someone's leg when they haven't even learned about it. Also to me, the exercise is more important than getting a stupid injury.

This sounds like bad news, because that's the exact opposite of what should be happening. Imo people should not be sparring within their first six months, and even then only at first against experienced and sane people under fully controlled supervision.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Juanito posted:

There is some oversight/feedback, but last week there were like 16 students (3 in their very first class, 3 more in their first month) so there is no way the instructor can be watching 8 groups spar too well.
Unless all 8 pairs have some experience and control, that shouldn't be happening. Newer people need to be interrupted and corrected/instructed frequently during sparring.

quote:

He'll sometimes warn people, or remind others about skill levels. He'll make sure some matches don't happen, like an aggressive new guy with one of the female fighters, and he'll sit out injured people.
That's good and reasonable, but

quote:

But sometimes one of the matches ends up being two new guys lobbing each other, which seems completely ridiculous and dumb.
if two guys are just brawling, there needs to be instruction to stop and correct that, both technically and culturally.
Good that you recognize that, bad that you are facing that for your first contact with martial arts.

quote:

I'm not skilled enough to completely avoid getting hurt.
Also to me, the exercise is more important than getting a stupid injury.
We all get hurt once in a while -- that's the nature of training a combat sport. But especially early on, the school's instructors need to limit the amount of damage you're taking while you don't have all the tools.
Do you have the option of opting into sparring only when you want to? Obviously it's great exercise, but it can be not worth it if it's not being done right.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

Do you have the option of opting into sparring only when you want to? Obviously it's great exercise, but it can be not worth it if it's not being done right.
You could say that you don't want to, and they'd probably try to have you not sit out... but wouldn't force you, I expect. I've sat out when injured. I'm traveling the next few weeks, so at tonight's class, I'm not going to spar hard.

Last week they had a small tournament for the end of the year. I was the only Sanda person who didn't participate, because I'm not willing to risk an injury for someone who is trying to show off, or wants to take down the gringo. Lots of pressure to "not be a wuss", but that doesn't work on me. It worked on a few others who were hesitant, and one of the newer guys hurt his lower back getting slammed on the ground.

While we live in this city, at least for the next year or two, I'll stick with this place, the exercise is great. Also the instructor is a family acquaintance, and I like most of the guys there. But I'll be much more picky when we relocate, and look for something much more disciplined.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

This sounds very full on for a noob class, and probably a bit much for an advanced one. Can you find somewhere else? The culture there sounds hosed.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

There's a new savate promotion called KFWC Savate Pro that's inviting regular shorts-wearing kickboxers to put on shoes and throw down. They had an event back in November: http://www.dailymotion.com/FFSavate/videos

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Leave it to the French to be so loyal to DailyMotion.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

This is what you would find in the back of Boys Life magazine as a kid.