Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

cage-free egghead posted:

There can be valid criticisms on good games. You can also nitpick a good game that you really enjoy.

Protocol7 posted:

Is it really so weird to find things you don't like about things you do like overall? Like, I love my car, but there are some things I don't like about it that I nitpick too. :iiaca:

Yeah I get that, it’s fine to criticize the parts of games you don’t like even if overall you think it’s amazing. I meant more so that it just feels weird that the tenor of the conversation about the game has shifted from all-out praise to dogpiling on the minor flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Majora's Mask had monkey torture if I remember right, in the Deku Palace.

I finally got to winter on my second Stardew playthrough and it's weird having time to do other things. Like, it's been nice to not have to spend time farming but now that I've got my farm all build up, I need crops to pay the bills! Looking forward to year two.

Man, I love Stardew Valley.

Yeah I had nothing to do really by year 2. Sprinklers took care of all of my crops, so my farm tasks were basically just restocking the wine barrels every few days.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Noctone posted:

Yeah I get that, it’s fine to criticize the parts of games you don’t like even if overall you think it’s amazing. I meant more so that it just feels weird that the tenor of the conversation about the game has shifted from all-out praise to dogpiling on the minor flaws.

Well I mean you can only say a game is good so many ways.

We don't need constant this game is good posts!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Majora's Mask had monkey torture if I remember right, in the Deku Palace.

I finally got to winter on my second Stardew playthrough and it's weird having time to do other things. Like, it's been nice to not have to spend time farming but now that I've got my farm all build up, I need crops to pay the bills! Looking forward to year two.

Man, I love Stardew Valley.

My mistake when playing Stardew was amassing deluxe coops and barns. Not only was the income stream less than focusing on plants, but it got old very fast having to pet every animal, collect product, put product in machines, and get artisan goods every single day. When I get around to playing again I'm going to have bare minimum animals for the bundles and focus on crops.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fun Times! posted:

My mistake when playing Stardew was amassing deluxe coops and barns. Not only was the income stream less than focusing on plants, but it got old very fast having to pet every animal, collect product, put product in machines, and get artisan goods every single day. When I get around to playing again I'm going to have bare minimum animals for the bundles and focus on crops.

Sell all the animals and fill the barns with wine barrels.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Noctone posted:

I'd argue that BotW's combat is balanced poorly enough as to be more than a minor flaw. It isn't a crippling flaw or a gamebreaking problem, but it's a real bum note in an otherwise incredible game.

Again, though, everything else about the game is so drat good that I'd still rate the overall experience as my favorite game of the year and probably my favorite game of the last several years. But if there's one thing that I think Nintendo completely dropped the ball on, it's the combat. Obviously nobody's reading my posts for feedback or whatever, but I'm more thinking about, okay, if they were to do this kind of thing again, what would I want to see improved.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Breath of the Wild is a great video game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The only other real complaint I have about Breath of the Wild is something I'd also apply to Super Mario Odyssey: there are a ton of not-very-meaningful shrines (and, in Odyssey, moons). BotW has tons of samey shrines, or just Monk's Blessing shrines that just don't add anything other than a couple of loading screens between the player and a spirit orb. And Odyssey has loads of low-effort moons just lying all over the place.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that's the kind of thing that's only going to stand out if you're looking for every shrine and moon you can find. If you're just making your way through the game to get the basic ending, the large number of collectibles ensures that no matter where you go and where you look, you'll probably find enough to proceed, and you'll find a healthy variety of activities along the way, too. It's just that, as a natural consequence of allowing the player some freedom while also not standing in the way of the player's progress, there have to be a shitload of these things around. The side effect is that a completionist nerd like me is going to notice there are like ten Test of Strength shrines in BotW or start to wonder why they can't just give me a spirit orb for solving an open world puzzle without making me load into and out of a Monk's Blessing shrine each time, or get really tired of throwing Cappy at like three birds in every kingdom in Mario Odyssey. But that's probably a trade-off that's worth making.

That said I hope the next Zelda takes shrine-like puzzles (using mechanics like BotW's runes) and combines them into themed dungeons because I think there's a ton of potential there.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 3, 2018

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Harrow posted:

The only other real complaint I have about Breath of the Wild is something I'd also apply to Super Mario Odyssey: there are a ton of not-very-meaningful shrines (and, in Odyssey, moons). BotW has tons of samey shrines, or just Monk's Blessing shrines that just don't add anything other than a couple of loading screens between the player and a spirit orb. And Odyssey has loads of low-effort moons just lying all over the place.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that's the kind of thing that's only going to stand out if you're looking for every shrine and moon you can find. If you're just making your way through the game to get the basic ending, the large number of collectibles ensures that no matter where you go and where you look, you'll probably find enough to proceed, and you'll find a healthy variety of activities along the way, too. It's just that, as a natural consequence of allowing the player some freedom while also not standing in the way of the player's progress, there have to be a shitload of these things around. The side effect is that a completionist nerd like me is going to notice there are like ten Test of Strength shrines in BotW or start to wonder why they can't just give me a spirit orb for solving an open world puzzle without making me load into and out of a Monk's Blessing shrine each time, or get really tired of throwing Cappy at like three birds in every kingdom in Mario Odyssey. But that's probably a trade-off that's worth making.

That said I hope the next Zelda takes shrine-like puzzles and combines them into themed dungeons because I think there's a ton of potential there.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were a deliberate design choice intended to take advantage of the Switch's portability. If you're a walking Switch commercial like Nintendo wants, you're probably bringing the Switch with you and squeezing in a bit of play time here and there. A large number of easy-to-obtain shrines/moons pretty much lends itself to micro-sessions like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

404notfound posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this were a deliberate design choice intended to take advantage of the Switch's portability. If you're a walking Switch commercial like Nintendo wants, you're probably bringing the Switch with you and squeezing in a bit of play time here and there. A large number of easy-to-obtain shrines/moons pretty much lends itself to micro-sessions like that.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about the portability aspect. I was just thinking from the standpoint of "pick a direction, go that way, and check out anything that looks interesting and you'll be rewarded," but you're right that having a high density of things to collect supports short play sessions as well.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Chill Penguin posted:

All this talk of climbing makes me think of Miyamoto. The very first thing I did on the great plateau was climb a tree. I wish there were some bigger trees. Would like to climb the Great Deku tree, or hell, an entire forest of ancient Redwoods would be awesome. Have there ever been monkeys in Zelda?

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Donkey Kong

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah I did see the sparks that herald the lightning, but it didn't connect that it was the weapon that was causing it. I thought it was something like "oh poo poo seek out a tree or something to stand under", but then it just kept happening and I felt like that was too unreasonable for the game to be expecting of me. A loading screen is what eventually informed me.

It's kinda bullshit because where is Link stashing those weapons when you unequip them? You're still gonna get shocked, jerk.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mons Hubris posted:

It's kinda bullshit because where is Link stashing those weapons when you unequip them? You're still gonna get shocked, jerk.

In his bag of holding that he clearly has somehow.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Mons Hubris posted:

In the cloud :D

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Macaluso posted:

I'll just keep everything the same but take out all the bad stuff like the stamina meter or weapon durability or being one shot in any fashion

What’s bad about the stamina meter? It’s a really good way to gate content while still maintaining the open world feel.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

It's the same bag that Nakor used.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Mons Hubris posted:

Korok magic

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pug Rodeo posted:

What’s bad about the stamina meter? It’s a really good way to gate content while still maintaining the open world feel.

Yeah, the stamina meter is fine. I'd probably say that sprinting drains it a bit too quickly, and it makes swimming without the Zora armor too punishing, but otherwise it's a perfectly fine inclusion.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Princeps32 posted:

to try and derail a bit, depends on the game for me. like i fuckin adore Stardew Valley, and it has good music and atmosphere by itself (especially the autumn ambient noises), but it’s also a good game to be listening to a podcast or new album to, especially when fishing or watering the crops or something. same with gungeon or Issac, there’s value to games where you can let your focus wander. i can’t even imagine playing games like Mario or BOtW with distractions though

I agree, some games I enjoy because they are perfect for listening to podcasts or having a twitch stream on while playing. My most recent example would be Fortnite, even though it can hinder hearing the noise for chests. For games like BotW, SMO and XC2 where I want to actually listen to the OST and be invested in those games, I don't do streams/podcasts. That actually has to do with the one thing I hate about the Switch, not having a headphone jack in the pro controller. To hear the music in detail in those games as I would like to hear them, I would have to turn my TV volume up to a ridiculous level.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I think people just don't talk much about games that are actually bad. When a game is actually really good, and you're done talking about all the really good things, you still want to keep talking about the good game so you talk about the stuff that isn't so good, but with the bad games you just stop talking about them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's been said before here and there (and probably by me more than once...) but anyone new to Switch, or just kind of in need of a post-big-game palate cleanser... you need to hunt down Blossom Tales and Battle Chef Brigade.

Both of these games are fantastic. Both of these games are genres I usually don't pay much mind to.

Seriously. I'd say BCB is an overall more unique and unmissable gaming experience... but both are worthy of your dollarz.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

with the bad games you just stop talking about them.

Let me tell you about Devil's Third

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://i.mega64.net/botw/u14/015.mp4

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I liked the combat in BOTW. In fact... I also liked the plot *gasp*.

EDIT: And the rain is fine, the baby hud warns you like 6 hours in advance that it'll rain. And if you're playing in pro mode, maybe look at the sky, it's kinda obvious when it's going to rain soon.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 3, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The plot is sparse but there's nothing wrong with that, and the setting and world details are very good and cool :hai:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pug Rodeo posted:

I don't want to be gated. I want to just run and climb on things. I don't find that aspect fun, it feels restrictive.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Give me fishing in BotW2!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I don't want to be gated. I want to just run and climb on things. I don't find that aspect fun, it feels restrictive.

:yeah:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

I love these posts. Ya know what, why the gently caress can't link just fly?!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think people just don't talk much about games that are actually bad. When a game is actually really good, and you're done talking about all the really good things, you still want to keep talking about the good game so you talk about the stuff that isn't so good, but with the bad games you just stop talking about them.

Not really, when there's a game that's bad, you'll definitely find people who won't shut up about how bad X game REALLY is

We'll still hear constant poo poo about Metroid Other M or the like forever even when there are other better games out. Or bring up Skyward Sword and somewhere down the line you'll get some people who'll keep saying how terrible it was that it forced motion controls on players or something.

We're talking about Breath of the Wild cause it's arguably the biggest or 2nd biggest titles of the console yet, and we'll probbaly keep talking about it for the next year up until we get more big games to talk about. Goons (me included) will just nitpick everything ever anyways, where it doesn't matter if the game is good or bad.

Noctone posted:

As you should remember for everywhere ever, you probably aren't hearing from the exact same people in both time periods. There's a lot of poo poo that bothered me about Botw, but I mostly didn't bring it up at the time cause I was busy with other things in the year. But a lot of the complaints I'm reading here don't seem that different from the same poo poo we brought up in the Zelda thread back in April.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 3, 2018

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Give Link all of the powers from Crackdown and infinite-strength grappling hook from Far Cry 2

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

I love these dumb responses. "I don't like these restrictions" "UH WELL WHY ISN'T THE CHARACTER JUST FOREVER INVINCIBLE AND HAS INFINITE FLIGHT JUST MAKE THE GAME FREE TOO"

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

Macaluso posted:

I love these dumb responses. "I don't like these restrictions" "UH WELL WHY ISN'T THE CHARACTER JUST FOREVER INVINCIBLE AND HAS INFINITE FLIGHT JUST MAKE THE GAME FREE TOO"

Insecurity gets so bad that the mildest criticism gets either dismissed or an overreaction.

It's not enough that you like the game, you have to like every aspect of it or....something bad will happen?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
This is the first game where they give Link a jump and it's a piddly little thing? Nah dogg give him those Saints Row IV jumps, I mean it's just a bullshit restriction that he can't jump infinitely high imo

Macaluso posted:

Lmao dude that's how you sound though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manky posted:

This is the first game where they give Link a jump and it's a piddly little thing? Nah dogg give him those Saints Row IV jumps, I mean it's just a bullshit restriction that he can't jump infinitely high imo

Unironically just give Link a double-jump in the next one, double-jumps are always fun and good

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

what if link....... had a gun

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Macaluso posted:

Nintendo should release a game genie app in which each game company supplies/sells packs of Nintendo-approved codes (aka no random hex editing). I miss invincibility and level warping and doing random things like making rings kill sonic

E: and no, calling it a cheat engine is no good, they need to license the game genie name

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Manky posted:

Lmao dude that's how you sound though

Because I don't like that after a few second of running I then have to stop running to build up the meter again to continue running? You are being ridiculous. The climbing thing less of a problem when it comes to the stamina meter cause i guess you are climbing up a mountain but even still it feels annoying. I don't want Link to have flight because I feel this way. I think it's perfectly fine the shrines don't allow you to climb walls to cheese the puzzles.

I wouldn't care about the stamina situation with running if you could call a stamina-less horse at any time like Witcher 3 but. Alas.

Sentient Data posted:

Nintendo should release a game genie app in which each game company supplies/sells packs of Nintendo-approved codes (aka no random hex editing). I miss invincibility and level warping and doing random things like making rings kill sonic

Hell yeah

Kaubocks posted:

Hell yeah

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Papercut posted:

I legit have no idea what is psyduck about that statement. The appeal of Zelda games has always been exploration and puzzles, the one-button combat is an afterthought

Combat in Zelda 2 is more basic than most other Zelda games. Zelda 2's side scrolling combat wasn't given any sort of special focus just because you can stab up or down during a jump and if anything is less complex than in most other Zelda games.

DalaranJ posted:

There’s a guy in Zora town who will exchange 10 luminous stones for a diamond.

Rare gemstones aren't hard to amass either once you know where a couple rare or deposits are. I still never bothered getting replacement legendary weapons though because knight-tier stuff is plenty abundant.

"I know what I'll do, the exact thing you should never, ever do during a thunderstorm!"
(aside from carry pieces of highly conductive metal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kaubocks posted:

I mean it worked for Mario

• Locked thread