Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

IcePhoenix posted:

Shurmur has interviews with the Bears, Lions, Cardinals, and Giants this week.

Shurmur is currently my top pick, then Matt Nagy, then DeFillippo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dexo posted:

Shurmur is currently my top pick, then Matt Nagy, then DeFillippo

didnt shurmur suck horribly with cleveland

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

mastershakeman posted:

didnt shurmur suck horribly with cleveland

Bellichick sucked in Cleveland. Everyone sucks in Cleveland

Also his QB's were Trash Money.

Thaddeus Lewis
Colt McCoy
Seneca Wallace
Brandon Weeden

He's made an average replacement level QB in Case Keenum look spectacular.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/948641150365261825

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 3, 2018

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
gently caress. Was hoping Fangio would replace Capers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Anti-Hero posted:

gently caress. Was hoping Fangio would replace Capers.

He hasn't been hired yet, chill out

It'll probably be a week or so before we start seeing hirings

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Seriously. Until "coached the Browns" and "Browns sucked while coach" isn't the exact same subset, I can't hold it against the guy. I would be okay with Shurmur.

Also, that Pace and Fangio interview must have been awkward. Pace was given every opportunity to compliment Fangio and/or say he was a HC possibility and he waffled every time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fishing with the fam posted:

Seriously. Until "coached the Browns" and "Browns sucked while coach" isn't the exact same subset, I can't hold it against the guy. I would be okay with Shurmur.

Also, that Pace and Fangio interview must have been awkward. Pace was given every opportunity to compliment Fangio and/or say he was a HC possibility and he waffled every time.

I bet the only reason Pace is talking to Fangio is that Pace thinks it'll satisfy the rooney rule

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What's Patricia's deal, it's a name I've heard a few times.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VJeff posted:

DC of the Patriots.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

VJeff posted:

From what I've seen:

Pros:

-Extremely smart, went to school for rocket science
-Good organizer
-Excels at film room study
-Good leader and motivator
-5 seasons of DC experience.

Cons:

-Defenses are never that great (Though they also suffer from a lack of talent)
-No HC experience
-DC for the Patriots, so it's difficult to say how much of their success is his and how much is Belichick's
-Allegedly even more stoic than Caldwell, which I'm not sure is possible

On the whole if he is hired on I'd put myself as "Trepidatiously optimistic." He seems like a good candidate in a lot of ways, but there's no getting around that Belichick's coaching tree is poison.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Acebuckeye13 posted:

From what I've seen:

Pros:

-Extremely smart, went to school for rocket science
-Good organizer
-Excels at film room study
-Good leader and motivator
-5 seasons of DC experience.

Cons:

-Defenses are never that great (Though they also suffer from a lack of talent)
-No HC experience
-DC for the Patriots, so it's difficult to say how much of their success is his and how much is Belichick's

On the whole if he is hired on I'd put myself as "Trepidatiously optimistic." He seems like a good candidate in a lot of ways, but there's no getting around that Belichick's coaching tree is poison.

you forgot
Pros:
Big ol' bushy beard

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/948691629707231233

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I'm pretty surprised about Bennett. I swear there were articles about him eventually being a head coach somewhere last off season.

McCarthy gonna get bounced too or what? They are firing everyone, might as well go all out.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Malaria posted:

I'm pretty surprised about Bennett. I swear there were articles about him eventually being a head coach somewhere last off season.

McCarthy gonna get bounced too or what? They are firing everyone, might as well go all out.

Fat Mike’s contract was extended to 2019.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:stare:

Are the Packers cleaning house?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

That doesn't make sense, and seems like a reactionary response to Brett Hundley being poo poo.

I'm as dumbshit of a sports fan as the next guy, but I can't reasonably blame Brett Hundley on anyone but Brett Hundley.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:frogon:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Just fire Fat Mike, what does he even do there?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Joe Philbin is unemployed right? Bring em back, Packers. Offense was awesome under him.

edit: as OC, nothing more.

Shangri-Law School posted:

Just fire Fat Mike, what does he even do there?

Time Clock Management seminars mostly

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cleaning house except for Mike seems like a real half-assed approach.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Malaria posted:

Joe Philbin is unemployed right? Bring em back, Packers. Offense was awesome under him.

He's technically a member of the Colts staff, but who knows once they get a new coach.

We're at the point where our successful offensive coaches who have left have flamed out as head coaches and can now return and just happen to have held the positions that opened up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

you forgot
Pros:
Big ol' bushy beard

Is "looks like Gene from Wet Hot American Summer" a pro or con?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is "looks like Gene from Wet Hot American Summer" a pro or con?

is this a real question. thats a pro baby

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LabyaMynora posted:

That doesn't make sense, and seems like a reactionary response to Brett Hundley being poo poo.

I'm as dumbshit of a sports fan as the next guy, but I can't reasonably blame Brett Hundley on anyone but Brett Hundley.

I feel this isn't about Hundley, it's about the offense looking stale for the last few years. Unless Rodgers is pulling off miracles (which, in fairness, he does pretty frequently) then the offense is just consistently "meh". Compare to like, 2011 or 2014.

Of course, the real problem with that is Fat Mike, but he's apparently not going anywhere...

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

LabyaMynora posted:

what I don't get is why they'd collect the scalps of the DL coach and the linebackers coach, but haven't touched the DBs guys yet

like if I had to identify the biggest issue with their positional coaching it...probably would not be the defensive front

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PupsOfWar posted:

what I don't get is why they'd collect the scalps of the DL coach and the linebackers coach, but haven't touched the DBs guys yet

like if I had to identify the biggest issue with their positional coaching it...probably would not be the defensive front

Joe Whitt is actually really good at his job, believe it or not. You can attribute Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, Sam Shields all to him. And Randall and King seemed to be coming along really well this season.

Charles Woodson has an extremely high opinion of Whitt and thought he should be DC instead of Capers.

It's not really his fault that 1) Tramon got old and Sam's brain broke 2) the front office keeps letting players walk 3) Dom Capers can't call a defensive play that rookies can actually understand

edit: a little bit more detail here: https://thepowersweep.com/blog/why-is-joe-whitt-jr-only-a-cornerbacks-coach

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 4, 2018

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
The ILB coach is the only firing that confused me. Blake Martinez took a big step forward this year and Jake Ryan seems solid most of the time*. Overall the unit is performing better than it has since 2010 (before Desmond Bishop got hurt). If they think they're giving up too many big runs up the middle they should look at all the two-man fronts that Dom is calling before anything else.

* Occasionally I see people making GBS threads on Ryan on CHTV or in game day threads, so I double checked my gut feeling that he's pretty good with PFF, and it turns out they love his nuts and rate him 82.something. This is actually very slightly higher than they rate Martinez! I know their methodology of basically assigning +, - or 0 to each play and adding poo poo up over the season then normalizing on a 0-100 scale is far from perfect but IMO as a general barometer they're pretty good

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The corners were actually pretty good, it’s the safety play that was deplorable this year. And that’s a lot more about scheme.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/948713525865795584

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

:stare:

Are the Packers cleaning house?

They should be. Aaron Rodgers is probably the best QB to ever play the game and he has a paltry one SB win.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I actually wonder if they have cut a little too deep but time will tell. It's odd that they fired so many and extended Fat Mike though. Not sure what to make of that.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Fenrir posted:

I actually wonder if they have cut a little too deep but time will tell. It's odd that they fired so many and extended Fat Mike though. Not sure what to make of that.

Cuts to the defensive coaching staff don't bother me. Cuts to the offense... well, maybe Fat Mike's gonna get the band back together and go after Philbin > OC and McAdoo > QB coach or something.

Not saying it's a good idea, just that it would make some sort of sense, I guess.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
the offense is poo poo rear end garbage unless Rodgers is on his poo poo, which he usually is. but seriously why are you worried about losing those dudes

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Fenrir posted:

It's a 1 year extension to give him 2018 to prove it.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Rodgers should just be offensive coordinator imo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Malaria posted:

Rodgers should just be offensive coordinator imo

Supposedly Rodgers was calling the plays for that one Matt Flynn game against the Lions.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bring in favre, let him call plays by literally drawing them up in the dirt, and have an ambulance on call for the football announcers witnessing it

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

bring in favre, let him call plays by literally drawing them up in the dirt, and have an ambulance on call for the football announcers witnessing it
You don't need an ambulance for priapism.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Favre should be brought in as the new defensive coordinator. Dude knows how to generate interceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pops Mgee posted:

Favre should be brought in as the new defensive coordinator. Dude knows how to generate interceptions.

Now listen, just have 3 of you bunch up in .. here... *points at palm* and the ball will magically come your way. Never fails

• Locked thread