Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNT424RVDBY

I think this guy can play it better than the band can now.

If you've ever seen Dragonforce live that's not a very high bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

If you've ever seen Dragonforce live that's not a very high bar.

:thejoke:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNT424RVDBY

I think this guy can play it better than the band can now.

Is that guitar hero for a real guitar? That's awesome, I've been thinking about getting into playing again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

NBD, just a guy facing down a charging elephant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9WW3QbOgQA

Dude ain't having no punk bitch small time fool playing at being an elephant in his woods.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is that guitar hero for a real guitar? That's awesome, I've been thinking about getting into playing again.
Rock Band 3 allowed you to use Midi instruments

Found these as examples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3k5ew5DXZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpBtVljADqk

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Jan 2, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rocksmith lets you use a real guitar. Also this video of a 10 year old rocking out some Slayer is pretty badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFd2Mi2FTzs

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Snowy posted:

Rocksmith lets you use a real guitar. Also this video of a 10 year old rocking out some Slayer is pretty badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFd2Mi2FTzs

This owns.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

That kid on the guitar is legit talented, but the little sister rocking out is going to be fronting a loving awesome metal band in 15 years.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Antioch posted:

That kid on the guitar is legit talented, but the little sister rocking out is going to be fronting a loving awesome metal band in 15 years.

That little sister is awesome. She’s got the metal yell down. I guess the older sister shredding better than I ever will is pretty cool too.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That reminds me of this which is definitely badass and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQK-6iI7cI

I still get angry at that woman who buzzed her. e: Howard Stern was first! Jerk.

Drunk Driver Dad has a new favorite as of 07:06 on Jan 2, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The girl in the rocksmith video made a bunch of cool videos which got her enough attention she ended up receiving a huge package of stuff from the game developers including a new guitar and an Orange amp. Her sister even got a microphone or something like that.

They’re loving cool and I hope to be half as good as her on guitar someday.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Snowy posted:

The girl in the rocksmith video made a bunch of cool videos which got her enough attention she ended up receiving a huge package of stuff from the game developers including a new guitar and an Orange amp. Her sister even got a microphone or something like that.

They’re loving cool and I hope to be half as good as her on guitar someday.

Do you have Rocksmith?
I have no clue how to play a guitar but I keep thinking about doing it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Inzombiac posted:

Do you have Rocksmith?
I have no clue how to play a guitar but I keep thinking about doing it.

I have it, but I haven't played in a... few... years... but it's real good! Make sure you get the version that has the connection cable included, but other than that it's literally plug and play. The UI is easy to read, there's a huge song selection with DLC and custom songs on PC, and there's various mini-games and training modes, and a jam session with different synths and backing tracks and whatnot to practice some FUN-damentals :v:

There's also a 'master-mode' feature where the notes fade out so you're just playing the song, but that can be a shock if you're not expecting it, and the game's definition of when you're ready is probably very different than yours.

That said I mean, if you want to get really serious you'll probably want an actual instructor or lessons or something, but for what it is it's real good.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

A friend of mine went from never playing a guitar or bass to being really, really good at it starting out with Rocksmith and learning how to read music and whatnot. It's definitely a good place to start.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It's the Rock Band pro controller. It has a button for every fret on every string.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Hahaha both of those videos are great. I love how nonplussed the ZOMBIE SKIN girl is while she's singing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pingiivi posted:

It's the Rock Band pro controller. It has a button for every fret on every string.

It's not exactly like a guitar because the buttons will have a different feel than strings, but it provides a decent basis for being able to do more complex guitar playing. Rock Band 3 also allows you to use a real Squire Strat that's been converted into a controller much like Rocksmith.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I feel like these games are missing out on an opportunity to teach these dudes to read sheet music. Playing vertical-scrolling tablature sounds like it would give me a nervous breakdown.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ElGroucho posted:

I feel like these games are missing out on an opportunity to teach these dudes to read sheet music. Playing vertical-scrolling tablature sounds like it would give me a nervous breakdown.

I don't think you're really expected to play it like normal Rock Band where you jump into a song you've never played before. You're supposed to play it over and over until you have it memorized, at which point you've basically learned how to actually play the song on guitar.

I really need to get Rocksmith and/or Rock Band 3 with the Squire Strat controller when I get a second TV and don't have to take over the living room to play. I've been trying to learn guitar for like 9 years now and I've just always struggled with finding it fun enough to keep going after a month or two of constant practice. I kinda gave up and now I'm using Garage Band to make tracks for my work without actually knowing how to play any instrument.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

I was actually very surprised to learn that the "real tabs"-mode never made it to the Rocksmith 2014. I think they demoed it in some developer version or at least discussed about it in some devtalk, but the released product, at least on PS3, does not have that.

Maybe for the next one, if there ever is one?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reading about Rocksmith, I do have one problem with it: it dynamically scales the difficulty of each section to remove notes if you're struggling and add notes back as you improve on it. This seems good in theory, but it means the parts you're having problems on can't actually be played in full until you're already good at them.

I'm probably going to do Rock Band 3 instead so I have more control over it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

chitoryu12 posted:

Reading about Rocksmith, I do have one problem with it: it dynamically scales the difficulty of each section to remove notes if you're struggling and add notes back as you improve on it. This seems good in theory, but it means the parts you're having problems on can't actually be played in full until you're already good at them.

That sounds awful, since its actually forcing to you practice it incorrectly. ewww

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

chitoryu12 posted:

Rocksmith 2014 has manual difficulty settings, an auto-max option, a no Master Mode option, and variable speed section looper. poo poo’s good, way better than Rock Band for guitar playing, plus it also has the Session mode where you get to improvise while backed by a bunch of configurable reactive instruments.

It also works with, seriously, any guitar.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dewgy posted:

Rocksmith 2014 has manual difficulty settings, an auto-max option, a no Master Mode option, and variable speed section looper. poo poo’s good, way better than Rock Band for guitar playing, plus it also has the Session mode where you get to improvise while backed by a bunch of configurable reactive instruments.

It also works with, seriously, any guitar.

Huh. I’ll look into that. It’s on PC, right? I could plug in my old Squier.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've had RS 2014 on my wish list for a long time now. Back in the mid-eighties my high school graduation present was a lovely Squier Strat and I only ever used it for playing chords.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

chitoryu12 posted:

Yup, PC/Mac also support easy custom tracks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had RS 2014 on my wish list for a long time now. Back in the mid-eighties my high school graduation present was a lovely Squier Strat and I only ever used it for playing chords.

I got a Squire Strat with a cheap amp for $200 as a Christmas present about 10 years ago. I had gotten Guitar Hero II for Christmas 2006 and fell in love with it; I wanted to play Expert so badly that I started playing nothing but Expert difficulty even when I could barely hit a single note, basically forcing myself to be able to play it within a few months. So from there it seemed like the obvious solution was a real guitar.

Turns out when you can't afford private lessons and you're also in high school, learning guitar is a lot of boring work you don't have time for. That thing has alternated between gathering dust and having the 5 chords I know banged out for a month before I put it away again.

I got Rocksmith 2014 and the cable last night, so hopefully by the weekend I should be able to get back into it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Turns out when you can't afford private lessons and you're also in high school, learning guitar is a lot of boring work you don't have time for. That thing has alternated between gathering dust and having the 5 chords I know banged out for a month before I put it away again.

If you didn't have enough time to learn guitar in high school, how could you possibly have enough time in real life?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Easiest way to learn guitar is to learn a song and work from there. It's loving tedious practicing if you're just doing chords by rote, but if you learn a song you get that sense of achievement as you gradually get better at playing it and get to hear the song actually start to sound like the song.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RCarr posted:

If you didn't have enough time to learn guitar in high school, how could you possibly have enough time in real life?

I don’t have homework.

Seriously, adulthood is loving liberating. I spend about as much time at work as I spent in school but I can do anything I want when I leave. I’ve been learning electronics, exercising, making a movie...

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I don’t have homework.

Seriously, adulthood is loving liberating. I spend about as much time at work as I spent in school but I can do anything I want when I leave. I’ve been learning electronics, exercising, making a movie...

sorry but you are wrong. being an adult sucks and is the absolute worst

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Biplane posted:

sorry but you are wrong. being an adult sucks and is the absolute worst

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The easiest way to get good at any instrument is to start a band when you're 13 and just keep doing that until you're 27. Then you move across the country and stop playing music and then start buying old keyboards you used to want when you were a kid now that you're in your late 30's.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Just do a butt load of drugs, you're bound to learn something important.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I don’t have homework.

This might be the most rear end-backwards statement I've ever read on the forums.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RCarr posted:

This might be the most rear end-backwards statement I've ever read on the forums.

Sorry my job isn't total crap?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Working 30 hour weeks must be nice.

(Alternatively: sorry you had 8 hour school days)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I dunno, I like being able to catch the 5:03 train (most days) and I can be in my door in about a half hour with no work worries. Some of us get lucky with the work/life ratio.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Sorry my job isn't total crap?

It has nothing to do with your job. Most people work 9-5, which is about the same amount of time you go to high school for each day. What I was getting at was most adults have exponentially more responsibilities than they did as high school kids. I can't even imagine ever having as much free time as I did when I was in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RCarr posted:

It has nothing to do with your job. Most people work 9-5, which is about the same amount of time you go to high school for each day. What I was getting at was most adults have exponentially more responsibilities than they did as high school kids. I can't even imagine ever having as much free time as I did when I was in high school.

If you're single, childless, and have reasonable hours and you were a serious student as a child it's totally reasonable. It's 35 hours in school versus about 40 at work, but without the 12+ hours per week of homework from my wall of AP classes and however many hours of orchestra practice, and I didn't even do sports or clubs.

This wouldn't be the case if I had a child or had some god awful retail job, but you said "adult" not "parent" or "dejected wageslave."

Edit: the big issue for me is it's way harder to muster up give-a-gently caress after work than it was after school.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Jan 3, 2018