Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm holding like 100 bux in BTC hoping it goes to the moon faster than ETH so I can cashout next week :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Taxation is theft

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

20% on capital gains, if you buy or mine it at one price and then use it when it is 50% higher...then yeah. Maybe it will stop the wild swings.

Edit: Haha, apparently if you mine it, it is treated as income at that point. That is silly. Should be when you use it and convert it to real money. Or, hey, a VAT replacing our antiquated and complex tax code would also work.

Even in communist Sweden you have to treat cryptocurrency mining as taxable income. Exactly how it should be reported is still a gray area though. The tax authority's website has information about selling cryptocurrency, CS:GO skins and TF2 hats but not about cryptocurrency mining, at least not yet. I guess you could try calling it "hobbyist income" (normally used for things like selling knitted sweaters or home made jam or such things) which is trivially easy to report and taxed like regular wage income, but I could see an argument being made that by mining for a pool you're effectively renting out your property (GPU) so it should be treated like capital gains. Not a tax accountant, of course, and especially not a US tax accountant.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For those in the US the IRS has posted guidelines and a FAQ a few years ago which you can find here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dear NiceHash users!

Payments for external wallet balances, greater than 0.01 BTC are going to be processed today! As you might be aware, Bitcoin transaction fees have been extremely high for the past few weeks. NiceHash is covering the transactions fees to miners, and to mitigate the cost we are going to change the fee for those payments to 5% for future payments - today's payments will be still processed at 4% fee! Fee for external wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.1 BTC stays the same at 3%.

Payments schedule for sellers stays the same for internal wallets (paid daily for balances greater than 0.001 BTC) and external wallets (paid daily for balances greater than 0.1 BTC). Payment schedule for sellers with external wallet balances greater than 0.01 BTC will be adjusted accordingly to blockchain conditions.

We strongly recommend every miner to start using NiceHash internal wallet. Altcoin payments for NiceHash internal wallets are already in the works and will significantly reduce the cost of transactions and also help smaller miners to be paid more regularly!

NiceHash has already implemented the direct transfer of BTC funds to Coinbase. Users are able to withdraw their balance funds from NiceHash wallet to their Coinbase account without any fees and instantly! Minimum amount to withdraw is set at 0.001 BTC. If you are already mining to external wallet address that is a Coinbase address or any other external wallet, you are always going to be dependant on very unpredictable blockchain transaction fees and conditions so we recommend you switch to NiceHash internal wallet as soon as possible.

Alternative payment features will only be available for registered users as altcoin payments won’t be possible for external wallet users.

Your NiceHash team.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We strongly recommend you let us hold your money, and we're raising rates when you try to get it out.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the fact that coinbase was willing to cut any kind of a deal with nicehash makes me extremely worried about coinbase.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the fact that coinbase was willing to cut any kind of a deal with nicehash makes me extremely worried about coinbase.

Same. As soon as my external wallet pays out, I’m gonna switch to their bullshit internal wallet and withdraw twice weekly. Then I’m gonna withdraw from Coinbase. If they don’t have my money, they can’t keep my money, right?

Side note: digging the ETH prices, my 1070s are making $4+ daily.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Does it involve butts? Be worried. Always.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Oh nice, good timing. Already switched to their internal wallet, but Im just glad I dont have to wait on the external address to transfer at some unknowable time. I'll be withdrawing daily out of the nicehash wallet for obvious reasons, lol. No fees into Coinbase is very nice, which is then no-fees into GDAX, which lately has been my preferred method of converting fakebux into realbux.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tehinternet posted:

Same. As soon as my external wallet pays out, I’m gonna switch to their bullshit internal wallet and withdraw twice weekly. Then I’m gonna withdraw from Coinbase. If they don’t have my money, they can’t keep my money, right?

Side note: digging the ETH prices, my 1070s are making $4+ daily.

Thought that said $4k daily.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There are a number of ongoing hints that Coinbase has USD liquidity issues, this is probably an attempt to mitigate those

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

TraderStav posted:

Thought that said $4k daily.

Worth taking out a HELOC, to be sure!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
4K daily is possible but the buildout would be massive. You’re talking 1200+ GPUs worth, which you will need the space and POWER for. At least 500 amps 240v just for the cards

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Burstcoin's wallet is only a couple gigs and it doesn't burn a lot of power since it's a proof of capacity coin - storage instead of CPU. Solutions to the blockchain puzzes sit on your hard drive in what they call plots.

It's kinda fun poking around in the database too - anyone can create assets\shares though it isn't a wildly used feature.
As far as I know, there is no central way to search them, so I was poking in the blockchain directly.

Here are things that had any volume of trades from December, provided my SQL is good.
select cast(b.asset_id as unsigned integer), name, sum(b.quantity),
from_unixtime(1407722400 +(max(b.timestamp))), a.description
from asset a
inner join asset_transfer b on a.id = b.asset_id and from_unixtime(1407722400 + b.timestamp) >= '2017-12-01'
group by a.id
order by max(b.height) desc

http://dosnetsynth.com/test.csv

Here are some "good" ones
http://burstcoin.online - Look at those legit silver pics!
"Mystery" asset - https://www.reddit.com/user/AnsiBurst/ - Clearly SEC approved!!
Check out the mad-diluted FleX asset!
The pool I'm part of is "BTFGPool" - They sell assets that give dividends. The asset is trading at like a 1:10-1:50 P/E ratio or something semi crazy, low volumes. It's a fun pool though, good for people without dozens of TB of storage.

This is kind of fun, as a proof of concept\toy. The code is interesting and it's up on github. A new team picked up maintaining it recently so interest is spiking a bit. It spun off a ton of drama, from people who are super into the financial aspect of the coin. If you actually dig into it, it has like 200 public nodes, so I kinda :lol: at the gravity people treat these coins with.

The blockchain is only a few gigs, despite the coin being from Aug 2014, so it's super simple to set up a full node. It runs on MariaDB thanks to new development.

Once you have drives plotted, it would run on a raspberry PI without much issue.

Hello fellow burst enthusiast! I plotted a few TB around a year ago and I let it run on an old rig just for fun. I bought some assets and it's fun to get a few BURST every now and then on it. Was pretty sure it was a dead coin but I had already plotted and the community has stuck through it so I did too. It's been interesting watching my pet crypto currency increase in value the last few months. To the moon! Or to a $1!

I'm mining on http://pool.burstcoin.ro/ which is basically one guy who maintains the site AFAIK but it seems pretty stable.

Join us fellow lovers of storage!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Numinous posted:

Hello fellow burst enthusiast! I plotted a few TB around a year ago and I let it run on an old rig just for fun. I bought some assets and it's fun to get a few BURST every now and then on it. Was pretty sure it was a dead coin but I had already plotted and the community has stuck through it so I did too. It's been interesting watching my pet crypto currency increase in value the last few months. To the moon! Or to a $1!

I'm mining on http://pool.burstcoin.ro/ which is basically one guy who maintains the site AFAIK but it seems pretty stable.

Join us fellow lovers of storage!

I don’t get it, aren’t you actually wasting the storage? Because it’s locked up in the blockchain plots or whatever. It seems an interesting alternative to wasting a shitload of electricity I guess

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I don’t get it, aren’t you actually wasting the storage? Because it’s locked up in the blockchain plots or whatever. It seems an interesting alternative to wasting a shitload of electricity I guess

Isn't unused storage just as wasted as storage filled with blockchain plots? Unless he bought disks specifically for this, that space was wasted anyway, so you might as well get some money off it.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Yea, technically. These are old drives that are well past their prime. I wouldn't trust data on them at this point and I have much newer larger drives for things I care about.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Numinous posted:

Yea, technically. These are old drives that are well past their prime. I wouldn't trust data on them at this point and I have much newer larger drives for things I care about.

So the "plots" aren't actually filled with any data in them? Just "From sector X to Y is reserved for coinzzz"

What happens when a drive finally dies? Do you lose your coins or something

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1gnoirents posted:

Etheruem going to the moon

:nws:

:nms:

http://crypto-pussies.com/

It is what you think, click with caution.

Ethereum up 17% since its release 6 hours ago

Why do all the cartoon women look sad or angry? Not a single smile. Even in their wildest fantasies women aren't happy to see them.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why do all the cartoon women look sad or angry? Not a single smile. Even in their wildest fantasies women aren't happy to see them.

Smiles cost extra.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

So the "plots" aren't actually filled with any data in them? Just "From sector X to Y is reserved for coinzzz"

What happens when a drive finally dies? Do you lose your coins or something

The plot file is a series of pre-calculated nonces. It takes a regular amount of CPU/GPU mining power to generate them initially and then they are written to the drive. The nonces are seeded from your wallet ID so you can recreate them if a drive dies but it does take up space on the drive while you are using it to mine.

The pre-calculated nonces are then used every round of mining to determine the solution. More hard drive space = more nonces = more likely to have a low-time solution so you win more rounds.

Coins are stored in the blockchain so as long as you have your wallet password you can't lose them.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

No fee transfer from Nicehash wallet to Coinbase worked! And it appears to be a daily thing if you make 0.001.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

1gnoirents posted:

No fee transfer from Nicehash wallet to Coinbase worked! And it appears to be a daily thing if you make 0.001.

holy poo poo, NiceHash actually coughed up? And the money is actually yours (if on Coinbase)?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Winminer paid out to PayPal :toot:

In about nine days with a GTX 1080 (running the miner a bit off and on, not 24/7) I got $18.43 filthy US dollars in actual revenue on an account I control. In the meantime the computer used a bit under 40 kWh (all usage, not just mining - includes some pretty heavy number crunching on the CPU as well), costing me about $5 in electricity. If I'm being generous with how much of that electricity was other stuff, I've made slightly under $2 per day.

I don't think I'll bother touching the poop any more than this.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

TheFluff posted:

Winminer paid out to PayPal :toot:

In about nine days with a GTX 1080 (running the miner a bit off and on, not 24/7) I got $18.43 filthy US dollars in actual revenue on an account I control. In the meantime the computer used a bit under 40 kWh (all usage, not just mining - includes some pretty heavy number crunching on the CPU as well), costing me about $5 in electricity. If I'm being generous with how much of that electricity was other stuff, I've made slightly under $2 per day.

I don't think I'll bother touching the poop any more than this.

Don’t forget your component usage

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If I was mining with NiceHash and never registered an account (just had the app mining to a Coinbase wallet), is there a way to "claim" that wallet so I can have it go to the internal NiceHash wallet instead, and get the payout?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

divabot posted:

holy poo poo, NiceHash actually coughed up? And the money is actually yours (if on Coinbase)?

Yes it took 10 minutes (presumably since its not going through the blockchain). From there I transferred it to GDAX for free where there are much lower fees

Zero VGS posted:

If I was mining with NiceHash and never registered an account (just had the app mining to a Coinbase wallet), is there a way to "claim" that wallet so I can have it go to the internal NiceHash wallet instead, and get the payout?

I never found a way. I just mined until the 0.01 cutoff to the external address then switched to the Nicehash wallet address. My external address still needs to be paid, but Nicehash says they are doing that now as well.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 3, 2018

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I had 0.005 mined with Nicehash before the hack, pointing to a coinbase wallet. Does anyone know if I'll have to mine the other .005 before getting paid out?

I haven't mined since they went down and trying to decide what to do next. If I have to finish that 0.005 I will, but otherwise debating swapping to MiningPoolHub.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

could someone point me to the cryptocurrency general chat thread? or is this pretty much it? I've questions regarding cryptocurrency and I'm not sure where to ask it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Q8ee posted:

could someone point me to the cryptocurrency general chat thread? or is this pretty much it? I've questions regarding cryptocurrency and I'm not sure where to ask it.

There's a few different ones - the ones I can think of off the top of my head other than this one are one in GBS (lol), one in YOSPOS (lots of people who can tell you in great detail about all he ways it is retarded) and one in BFC (people who actually speculate in cryptocurrencies and can tell you how to report taxes on it etc, also seems to have a few apologists in it).

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

There’s a GBS crypto thread where you’ll probably be made fun of for getting into this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838405

Otherwise you could probably post here, or in YOSPOS

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Amounts mined in Nicehash are permanently linked to whatever wallet they were mined against. There's no way to switch values from one to another.

That's the only value that Nicehash has to identify a miner. If they allowed you to switch wallets or consolidate between wallets then that would open up a gigantic hole in their app and create a huge nightmare for them when people started asking to merge other wallets into theirs that they have no way of proving they own.

Then you would have to worry about everyone else also trying to steal your butts instead of just Nicehash.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Q8ee posted:

There's one thread in GBS and a thread about gambling in BFC and the good thread in YOSPOS.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The YOSPOS thread is a wordier version of the GBS thread.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

you all seem decent, if you don't mind me asking a question here, I'll just go for it:

I'd like to buy some altcoins I've got my eye on. the only problem is, I don't know whether it's more efficient to purchase ETH or BTC or any other crypto. another issue I have is I don't even know where to buy these cryptocurrencies other than Coinbase, which I refuse to use again as they robbed me of £350. any advice would be appreciated.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Q8ee posted:

I'd like to buy some altcoins I've got my eye on.

Why do you want to buy them? Why not open a Robinhood account where you can buy a couple shares of SPY or QQQ over your phone for no commission?

Pretty much the only legit answer is you need to buy illegal drugs online, which is fine, but if you think you're gonna make money or something my advice would be investment, not speculation.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Why do you want to buy them? Why not open a Robinhood account where you can buy a couple shares of SPY or QQQ over your phone for no commission?

Pretty much the only legit answer is you need to buy illegal drugs online, which is fine, but if you think you're gonna make money or something my advice would be investment, not speculation.

I've no idea what Robinhood is. I also don't buy illegal drugs online. I've used speculation in the past and it has done me well, as there's usually a lot of hype surrounding these altcoins and I sell when it's high and take it as a win (even if it continues to go higher). Bought a fairly decent amount of NEO and sold when it hit $80, when I'd bought in at $8 (when it was known as ANS). Speculation has done me alright and I never put in what I can't afford to lose. But I appreciate the advice, investment is a better alternative to speculation.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Q8ee posted:

you all seem decent, if you don't mind me asking a question here, I'll just go for it:

I'd like to buy some altcoins I've got my eye on. the only problem is, I don't know whether it's more efficient to purchase ETH or BTC or any other crypto. another issue I have is I don't even know where to buy these cryptocurrencies other than Coinbase, which I refuse to use again as they robbed me of £350. any advice would be appreciated.

If Coinbase is out of the picture, then so is GDAX (they are the same company). Typically I'd recommend GDAX, its a true market based exchange where you can make buys and sells with very little fees especially if you make market orders. However that is Coinbase related and if you aren't in the USA it can be difficult to even have a functioning account there as they require a bunch of manual verification. I no longer buy or sell with Coinbase at all because their spot prices are total bs, the appeal with that website is its ease of usability but you pay a lot off the top for the convenience

Binance is another widely touted platform to buy and sell coins and they have a vast selection of buttcoin varieties to trade in. I have yet to actually use it though, but I consider it my fallback. You can take advantage of all those alt coins some of which are really moving.

As far as efficiency, Ethereum is making a sudden upturn in the last two days. I literally think its because of cryptopussies (lol). Bitcoin and LTC have been pretty flat, but I'm talking in the scale of a few weeks - though thats a lot for buttcoins. Frankly its impossible to recommend anything without actual inside knowledge of some sort other than buying what seems to be going up at any given time. For example I bought Etheruem once its broke out of its slump, then sold when it was 10% up, because I dont trust it. I've been doing that from time to time with BTC, LTC, and ETH without any preference to any of them other than what I see them doing on any specific day. There have been fewer wild swings for those three coins so its a bit "safer" to do so than it has been, but the potential gains are equally less as well.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
If you want to talk about gambling on crypto, the BFC thread is probably the best place for that.

• Locked thread