Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dick Trauma posted:

<digs out his old iBook G4>

MacOS got patched in 10.13.2, and apparently didn't take any performance hit because it handles memory addressing differently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

The Fool posted:

:master:

edit:

Anyone know how to automate the creation of voice mailboxes in cisco unity? I've automated the creation of extensions and phone deployment in call manager, but still have to log in to the poo poo rear end management interface to set up voicemail.
Google has been failing me.

Beyond using BAT + CSV files you could look into the REST API, but that's about it as far as I know.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Avenging_Mikon posted:

+40C in summer, dude (104F)

Pfft, that's not even A4. Open a door and crank those fans up.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

MacOS got patched in 10.13.2, and apparently didn't take any performance hit because it handles memory addressing differently?

Nah, this is a bug in how the CPU handles memory, not the operating system. The fix is to have the operating system force the CPU to use a 'slower' way to handle memory. The 'slower' part really only applies to applications that frequently perform very specific types of operations, and those type of applications don't get used on desktops very often. For big cloud providers this is a serious headache, for most people the security patch will have no measurable impact on the performance of their computer.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Databases seem to be hit really hard for example because off all the syscalls they make.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Embargo is lifted, from the infosec thread:

High level - https://security.googleblog.com/2018/01/todays-cpu-vulnerability-what-you-need.html
Technical deep dive - https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.ca/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html (this is my fave infosec blog btw)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Intel has words: https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-responds-to-security-research-findings/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

AlternateAccount posted:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao that's some A-grade corporate PR stuff right there

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Interesting, they say AMD and ARM are affected too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Awful. They are going to get poo poo on.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

CLAM DOWN posted:

Notice how in one sentence they say it affects other CPU products, then in the next they say they are committed to working with AMD etc. They're cleverly making the reader think it affects AMD without actually saying it.

But yeh the Google article then says its not just Intel too, so.....

edit: Apparently ARM64 is affected, but not AMD's x64 CPUs, hence confusion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are two different issues. Meltdown is Intel only and is what's getting patched. Spectre is everyone and may not be patchable in a realistic fashion.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

^e: fu

That's because there are 2 different exploits.

Spectre affects AMD, Intel and ARM
Meltdown affects Intel

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ranter posted:

Notice how in one sentence they say it affects other CPU products, then in the next they say they are committed to working with AMD etc. They're cleverly making the reader think it affects AMD without actually saying it.

But yeh the Google article then says its not just Intel too, so.....

edit: Apparently ARM64 is affected, but not AMD's x64 CPUs, hence confusion.

Nice Meltdown, dude.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Calm down dude.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nice Meltdown, CLAM DOWN FUCKWIT

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Wonder if this was the reason behind Azure wanting to do updates on the hosts for the past few weeks.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

hihifellow posted:

Wonder if this was the reason behind Azure wanting to do updates on the hosts for the past few weeks.

Speaking of which

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’m selling meltdown inside stickers. Who wants one?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MacOS, not vulnerable thanks to a new feature they rolled out with 10.13.2

https://twitter.com/aionescu/status/948609809540046849

mewse
May 2, 2006

Microsoft released a PowerShell script you can run to test for vulnerability. I had to enable powershell script execution on my home machine (Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned) to get it running.

e: results are interesting after running windows update

mewse fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 4, 2018

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
On the 1st work day of the new year. Work gave me a power failure and a dead switch and 32 servers out of commission. On the second day I discovered that our game room pc's were mining for bitcoin.
What will the third day bring...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Out of curiosity, when you find rogue bitcoin miners like that, does the software have enough information that you can gently caress something up for the perpetrator?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm not entirely sure. I haven't really looked into bitcoin myself. But the config files i found did list a wallet and a password.

I'm sort of happy this happened. I have been fighting for over a year now to get rid of local admins and this has finally gotten my boss to agree.
I've disconnected and confiscated the pc's and given them to my boss. I'm not entirely sure how i can use the info on there to find out who did it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I was stunned to discover that each user is an admin on their own machine (thankfully, just their machine) when I started working at the company I'm currently at. Previous company only allowed that in certain circumstances, and eventually only by an AD group membership approved by Security. And they're all laptops.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

I was stunned to discover that each user is an admin on their own machine (thankfully, just their machine) when I started working at the company I'm currently at. Previous company only allowed that in certain circumstances, and eventually only by an AD group membership approved by Security. And they're all laptops.

This was me last year when i started at the company i'm currently at.
even though this bitcoin mining stuff happened, my boss was still hesitant to remove local admin rights.
"too much work, users will come to bug you for every little install" I managed to convince him with explaining how ransomware would have hosed us up if that was the case.

edit: He still hasn't taken my advice of using a non admin account for daily use and a separate domain admin account.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My former boss tried removing admin rights from the engineering group and they went straight to C Level executives and got it overturned. That and they outright refused to work.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:munch:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sefal posted:

This was me last year when i started at the company i'm currently at.
even though this bitcoin mining stuff happened, my boss was still hesitant to remove local admin rights.
"too much work, users will come to bug you for every little install" I managed to convince him with explaining how ransomware would have hosed us up if that was the case.

edit: He still hasn't taken my advice of using a non admin account for daily use and a separate domain admin account.

Eliminate 'every little install', problem solved. Why are so many computers getting snowflake software outside of the standard deployment?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

We built this new app, it's very very important to our group.

*App is abandoned 6 months later*

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/948693817556914176

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I’ve been told that I will not be getting even the most smallest promotion ( more project work, but still in desktop) out of this transition because of the word of people who aren’t even in my department.

But life never does get better does it? I honestly feel like a passenger in my life a lot of the time. Any action I take doesn’t matter as I’m carried to a bitter conclusion. I tried moving up, I tried getting out, but going off script isn’t an option it seems.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Best you can do is just keep applying and looking for other opportunities. Are there any areas of your job/performance that you think you can improve on? Maybe working on one of those can give you that extra edge to change your situation.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Don't stop sending out resume's

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

skooma512 posted:

So I’ve been told that I will not be getting even the most smallest promotion ( more project work, but still in desktop) out of this transition because of the word of people who aren’t even in my department.

But life never does get better does it? I honestly feel like a passenger in my life a lot of the time. Any action I take doesn’t matter as I’m carried to a bitter conclusion. I tried moving up, I tried getting out, but going off script isn’t an option it seems.

One thing that definitely doesn’t work very well to stop being a passenger in your own life is being morose and defeatist. Focus on setting some achievable goals that aren’t dependent on others. Getting a promotion at work isn’t a useful goal because it’s not something you can control. Adding a new certification, or skill is a useful goal that will make you more employable.

Also, find a way to socialize with other people in your field. Go to user group meetings or happy hours or something and make some friends. Social networking is one of the best ways to improve job prospects.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jaegerx posted:

I kind of do...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sefal posted:

Don't stop sending out resume's

I like my current job and all the perks it brings and even I am regularly talking to recruiters and sending my resume to insane job openings. I have a recruiter preparing to send my info over for a 6 figure + opportunity. Might not even take it because of the travel involved but it's great to get that interview experience.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Ohh, gimme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jaegerx posted:

Yo.