Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i don't think cross platform is as big a reason for the use of react/vue/angular (via the browser or electrum or ionic or cordova or whatever) as the dire state of native application development. when electrum offers 100% of the functionality you need for your desktop app and you can share code with your mobile app and your webapp why would you ever bother with garbage like uikit, wpf, qt or swing?

put another way, if you want to see more high quality native apps direct your anger at the native app framework vendors not at javascript. javascript managed to deliver application frameworks people actually choose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

the talent deficit posted:

i don't think cross platform is as big a reason for the use of react/vue/angular (via the browser or electrum or ionic or cordova or whatever) as the dire state of native application development. when electrum offers 100% of the functionality you need for your desktop app and you can share code with your mobile app and your webapp why would you ever bother with garbage like uikit, wpf, qt or swing?

put another way, if you want to see more high quality native apps direct your anger at the native app framework vendors not at javascript. javascript managed to deliver application frameworks people actually choose

the only reason people use js frameworks is that they work on the web

react native is OK though the hot reloading is like babbys first small talk

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
on the other hand, web app > native app since i don't have to install yet another loving dumb pointless app on my phone

smartphones were a mistake

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

discord is a web app that runs fine on web, desktop windows, desktop linux, android, and ios. so, i dunno, works for me i guess.

Yet for 2 years and counting from release still does not have a spell check because electron shits itself when they tried to add it. I don't know if that says more about the front end devs being bad at coding or that web apps suck. But web apps suck.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i've never wanted a spell check on a chat app and i see no reason to start now

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

i've never wanted a spell check on a chat app and i see no reason to start now

Good for you?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

thank you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Da Mott Man posted:

Good for you?

just set up a list of spelling mistakes and corrections as an autohotkey script, op.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I never thought I wanted a spell check on a chat app until I accidentally used one for a while and noticed how much poo poo I habitually misspell :(

It's still a bad experience since the spell check hasn't figured out that sometimes I do foreign language shitposting but overall I think I look less stupid now

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Da Mott Man posted:

Yet for 2 years and counting from release still does not have a spell check because electron shits itself when they tried to add it. I don't know if that says more about the front end devs being bad at coding or that web apps suck. But web apps suck.

it says more that electron isn't great but is definitely better than any alternative out there

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

eschaton posted:

the difference is Lisp did all this stuff like 25-30 or more years ago, and it’s the rest of the industry that’s reinventing things in new terms

a lisp user would look at a modern car and claim that they had ABS back in the day, sticking their feet through the bottom of their car

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the only thing a lisper won't claim to have invented first is a popular language

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
great, a couple of smuggo mit graduates write a blog post

and now their not invented here has become lore

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

forth is much cooler for that though, they are (or at least were) a super-quirky community which tended to focus a lot on redefining the problems to suit the solutions

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
forth never achieved enough dominance or collaboration to get much of a PR presence; at its height it was mostly EEs quietly applying it to their problems and never sharing their code with anyone. that it is so easy to build a forth means everyone makes their own incompatible needs-suiting implementation and the community gains no force multipliers. guilty here.

in contrast lisp has many "enthusiasts" who write little code but treasure vague aspirations and legend. even today one need only mention lisp in passing for lispers to crawl out of the woodwork to explain how lisp is "good for ai", lisp has had every language feature forever, a metacircular evaluator is the most beautiful program in the world, &c, &c.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

deflecting from that since i mostly agree that lisp got a ton of things right way ahead of its time, and only really was made irrelevant due to not passing through the eye of the needle of actually affordable, but small/slow, hardware taking over in the 80s/90s, but as there are so few specifics held up here to argue about that i figured we could go more obscure with forth instead

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
who started the "lisp is good for ai" meme anyway?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

academics, perhaps?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

mostly that it was a fairly natural fit for the symbolic ai of the 80s, symbols as a type and first-class values, and, by virtue of being a (flexible, as in impure) functional language, stuff like transforming trees of symbols, or defining search procedures over fairly complex data structures, is pretty straightforward compared to then-current competitors like pascal

toss in there being commercial supported implementations (with actually functioning debuggers), macros to define e.g. pattern matching operators suitable for those tasks, and even clos (well, mit flavors or whatever variant existed in the system you chose) if you wanted to structure a larger system, and it certainly looks good in its historical context

present-day ai is all optimization techniques, so no advantage there

everything loosy-goosy of course, but these things always are, all the options are turing equivalent after all~

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 2, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the mit ai lab.

http://okmij.org/ftp/continuations/against-callcc.html

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Insomniac games decided some years back to turn all their internal authoring tools into web apps

It was terrible for all the reasons you can imagine:

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024465/Insomniac-s-Web-Tools-A

They ended up trashing it all and rewrite everything on a platform that actually works (qt/c++)

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I was going to suggest Doug Hofstadter.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
whenever i do my funny xplain side project i run into browser differences and unimplemented features probably every 15 minutes

"how can i detect browser zoom? run a poll on window.devicePixelRatio, there's no event for it? no, only integral changes..." https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=126287

"why can't i paste this data? oh, because chrome filters things out" https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=487266

"there's no consistent way to modify a textarea, wtf?" https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1220696

i believe that if you're writing database skins everything is ok, but if you actually want a decent underlying platform to build a really loving good app, it's a hellish nightmare

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's not only for security fixes that Chrome updates every two weeks. Will we see a standard WYSIWYG editor any time?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Doom Mathematic posted:

I was going to suggest Doug Hofstadter.

Uggh-las Hofstadter, IMO.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

deflecting from that since i mostly agree that lisp got a ton of things right way ahead of its time, and only really was made irrelevant due to not passing through the eye of the needle of actually affordable, but small/slow, hardware taking over in the 80s/90s,

even this is part of the mysticism

there existed multiple high quality lisp implementations on "actually affordable" hardware, and the market still rejected lisp as a platform

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
(wrong-p 'skinner)

#f

(wrong-p 'kids) => #t

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

even this is part of the mysticism

there existed multiple high quality lisp implementations on "actually affordable" hardware, and the market still rejected lisp as a platform

naah, i think mysticism is the claims that the stuff ran well on the affordable hardware. sure maybe on a properly expensive unix workstation, but the actually good bits had already ballooned in size at a time where stuff was as likely to trickle up from tiny home computers (in fact this is largely the direction that happened) as it was to trickle down from supposedly "advanced" systems

80s garbage collection pauses were surely a good way to get a quick pause to sip your coffee though

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lisp invented plangs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

tef posted:

(wrong-p 'skinner)

#f

(wrong-p 'kids) => #t

I and many others will buy this T-shirt if you make it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

naah, i think mysticism is the claims that the stuff ran well on the affordable hardware. sure maybe on a properly expensive unix workstation, but the actually good bits had already ballooned in size at a time where stuff was as likely to trickle up from tiny home computers (in fact this is largely the direction that happened) as it was to trickle down from supposedly "advanced" systems

80s garbage collection pauses were surely a good way to get a quick pause to sip your coffee though

in the 1980s, Unix WAS the affordable hardware. keep in mind a 386 system was about $25k in today’s money. people were not buying them to play video games

apocryphally GC was so slow on the old LispMs that people would manually disable it, and let it run only when the machine was totally out. I think that’s mit cadr era tho, not the commercial units

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

tef posted:

(wrong-p 'skinner)

#f

(wrong-p 'kids) => #t

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Coral Common Lisp really wasn’t bad on a Mac Plus, and flies on a Mac II

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in the 1980s, Unix WAS the affordable hardware. keep in mind a 386 system was about $25k in today’s money. people were not buying them to play video games

apocryphally GC was so slow on the old LispMs that people would manually disable it, and let it run only when the machine was totally out. I think that’s mit cadr era tho, not the commercial units

I had a 386 and definitely played loads of video games on it

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shaggar posted:

I had a 386 and definitely played loads of video games on it

Same, but not until say 1992.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the 386 came out in 1985, followed by the 486 in 1987. we are accustomed to thinking of these as trash PCs to play video games on because we bought these chips five to ten years after they came out.

even when a complete 386 system was $10k+ (in 1985 dollars) it was still considered to be a budget option!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
at any rate lispMs died because trash unix workstations and even macintoshes could run common lisp development tools and compilers faster than a lispM for 1/4th the price

a reasonable lisp environment did not cost significantly more than a c++ environment, and the market still rejected lisp

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

webass strikes again!!!

https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/948698168895639553

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

webassembly, like javascript, is close to the metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

From the Spectre paper it looks like javascript is sufficient.

Maybe it's time to disable javascript until this is fixed.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 4, 2018