Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am rooting for Bama because Georgia fans are insufferable when they lose so I can't imagine how they will act with a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
UCF beating Clemson and having everyone's hopes sky high only for Chubb and Michel to combine for 800 yards rushing as they boatrace UCF for the title is unquestionably the funniest scenario possible.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am rooting for Bama because Georgia fans are insufferable when they lose so I can't imagine how they will act with a win.

baja blast is delicious, so I understand you completely

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Crotch Bat posted:

Do any of your schools use a collection of twerpy douchebags who got perpetually bullied in high school so instead of becoming cops they joined the "honor" council?

I ask because VT just had a kid removed from school because despite the fact his pot charges were dropped by the prosecutors, these asshats decided they knew better. This is yet another in a long line of football players who had their charges dropped and were stonewalled by this council and forced to transfer. It's the dumbest poo poo ever.

Beckett isn't as painful a loss as Reavis was, but god drat the student council at VT really works as hard as they can to gently caress over the student athletes. Don't feel like it was any different when I was there over a decade ago, had a number of friends be tasked with extraneous bullshit over nothing findings by the student council, and it certainly feels like they take an even harder tack with the student athletes that end up in front of them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

baja blast is delicious, so I understand you completely

Not in time friend, but nice try.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Clemson was extremely overrated and probably would've been #4 if they weren't riding the inertia of winning the title last year. I'd rather have had OSU or UCF over them in the playoffs.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

UCF beating Clemson and having everyone's hopes sky high only for Chubb and Michel to combine for 800 yards rushing as they boatrace UCF for the title is unquestionably the funniest scenario possible.

yeah Kerryon Johnson had such a monster game against their defense

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Fluffdaddy posted:

Since UCF is making up championships i guess you can make up SOS rankings too

Making up championships is a pillar of college football

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Noctone posted:

Clemson was extremely overrated and probably would've been #4 if they weren't riding the inertia of winning the title last year. I'd rather have had OSU or UCF over them in the playoffs.

They lost early, they beat the team that beat UGA, and they beat a very good Miami very, very badly in the ACCCG, you couldn't ignore them.

They were still a good team, just decidedly a step back offensively from last year and plus they pissed off Saban and that's not good for anyone's short-term outlook.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

Since UCF is making up championships i guess you can make up SOS rankings too

*plays no one good in out of conference play and all teams played in conference can't beat anyone outside of the conference* OUR SCHEDULE WAS CHALLENGING SEC SEC SEC

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Crotch Bat posted:

They lost early, they beat the team that beat UGA, and they beat a very good Miami very, very badly in the ACCCG, you couldn't ignore them.

They were still a good team, just decidedly a step back offensively from last year and plus they pissed off Saban and that's not good for anyone's short-term outlook.

Which is exactly why I said they should've been in the #4 discussion rather than #1.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I mean out of 140 seasons of college football there's probably like 1000 claimed championships.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Crotch Bat posted:

This is a good assessment.

Does it make me a bad person to be rooting for a "defensive struggle" in this all-SEC title game? :laugh: I just want to witness the outrage it would produce.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Metapod posted:

*plays no one good in out of conference play and all teams played in conference can't beat anyone outside of the conference* OUR SCHEDULE WAS CHALLENGING SEC SEC SEC

Uh huh.

LLCoolJD posted:

This is a good assessment.

Does it make me a bad person to be rooting for a "defensive struggle" in this all-SEC title game? :laugh: I just want to witness the outrage it would produce.

both teams average about 35-36 points per game so i dont see that happening

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

an adult beverage posted:

Making up championships is a pillar of college football

To be honest, it's no worse than we're getting with the "playoffs." Two of four winners (will be) kinda mediocre*

*I'm looking at you, Ohio State.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

LLCoolJD posted:

That's basically what we got the last time it was all SEC. Admittedly this Georgia team has better offense than that LSU team, but I bet you'll get what you want. First to 24 points will prb win.

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE

Spacebump posted:

I feel weird because I'm kind of rooting for Alabama to beat Georgia to make UCF's claim more legitimate. If that happens, they are undefeated and beat a team that beat the champ. Should probably be rooting for Georgia in the National Championship though.

They have that claim either way, my man.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I like this new era of “[conference/national] champions aren’t actually good,” because it is the exact reasoning that allowed Bama into the playoffs this year :twisted::twisted:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
UCF has a legitimate claim to a national title. They went undefeated, beat some pretty good teams, got their P5 game cancelled because of loving hurricanes, and then beat Auburn, who beat the playoff champ.

If you don't like it maybe they could settle it on the field?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

UCF has a legitimate claim to a national title. They went undefeated, beat some pretty good teams, got their P5 game cancelled because of loving hurricanes, and then beat Auburn, who beat the playoff champ.

yeah maybe

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I think it’s just fine, unless you’re yelling at/with that UGA guy in which case carry on

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I would love to kick the poo poo out of another mid-major but the stars unfortunately didn't align this time :smith:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

[quote="“HOTLANTA MAN”" post="“479893610”"]
my team is good and yours isnt suck my dick yolo
[/quote]

How much are you gonna melt down if they lose?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

How much are you gonna melt down if they lose?

He already covered his bases earlier by saying Bama will probably win

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

I mean, that's probably what's going to happen. Both teams' defenses are better than their offenses, Rose Bowl of course being a huge outlier for the Dawgs. I'm not particularly bullish on UGA's chances Monday night, so I think it'll resemble this year's Sugar Bowl, though I think UGA will score a TD at least. 27-10, we'll say

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fluffdaddy posted:

both teams average about 35-36 points per game so i dont see that happening

In 2011 LSU averaged 35.7 ppg and Bama averaged 34.8.

[quote="“The Notorious ZSB”" post="“479895267”"]
That’s basically what we got the last time it was all SEC. Admittedly this Georgia team has better offense than that LSU team, but I bet you’ll get what you want. First to 24 points will prb win.
[/quote]

See above. Both teams scored a lot against everyone else but each other that year.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I would love to kick the poo poo out of another mid-major but the stars unfortunately didn't align this time :smith:
Georgia getting pushed around by Boise State lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Boise beat you so I would be careful

UCF would luck out getting Georgia really.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

[quote="“Noctone”" post="“479894742”"]
Which is exactly why I said they should’ve been in the #4 discussion rather than #1.
[/quote]

The BCS rankings would have had Clemson at 1 and also it’s very stupid to rank them below Bama, who lost to a team Clemson beat and beat exactly no one worthwhile in the regular season.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

CharlestheHammer posted:

Boise beat you so I would be careful

UCF would luck out getting Georgia really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m82Iv3N600k

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I love the attitude that UCF would have zero chance against UGA or Bama when they handled Auburn who beat both of the aforementioned teams.

I’m not saying they’d definitely beat them, but pull your head out of your rear end. I’ve never met a group of fans that huff their own farts more than Georgia fans.

(This isn’t directed at anyone specific on this board except for a couple people who probably know who they are, but mostly my irl UGA fans)

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

ucf can claim whatever they want, its funny, college football is funny. i think there is roughly a 0% chance UCF goes undefeated in a p5. edit: I think UCF has a chance against any top team, i think they are extremely unlikely to beat multiple in a row.

clemson had a fine season, they never looked super dominant but they went 1 loss against a good schedule. i guess you can debate them being #1 vs 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever but theres no reason to not have them in the playoff 4

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

lol I didn't even know about this, it rules.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

G-Hawk posted:

ucf can claim whatever they want, its funny, college football is funny. i think there is roughly a 0% chance UCF goes undefeated in a p5. edit: I think UCF has a chance against any top team, i think they are extremely unlikely to beat multiple in a row.

clemson had a fine season, they never looked super dominant but they went 1 loss against a good schedule. i guess you can debate them being #1 vs 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever but theres no reason to not have them in the playoff 4

Eh it's perfectly possible.
I wouldn't bet on it but to pretend it's impossible is just being an insane homer.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

[quote="“G-Hawk”" post="“479896337”"]
[/quote]

Well, none of the playoff contenders went undefeated in a P5 conference either, so that’s hardly a real knock.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

G-Hawk posted:

Going undefeated is real loving hard.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

This may be met with skepticism, but Auburn playing at night in Jordan-Hare Stadium is a completely different team. Anyone familiar with the SEC knows that. Florida's championship team in 2006 lost there, and the 2001 Florida team's shot at the title was smashed there, too. Throw in their RB, Johnson, getting injured and it's a way less dangerous team. So hats off to UCF for a great season, but you're deluded if you think they're better than Alabama or Ohio State. They're not.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LLCoolJD posted:

This may be met with skepticism, but Auburn playing at night in Jordan-Hare Stadium is a completely different team. Anyone familiar with the SEC knows that. Florida's championship team in 2006 lost there, and the 2001 Florida team's shot at the title was smashed there, too. Throw in their RB, Johnson, getting injured and it's a way less dangerous team. So hats off to UCF for a great season, but you're deluded if you think they're better than Alabama or Ohio State. They're not.
Prove it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

G-Hawk posted:

You don't have to beat multiple top teams to be successful in a P5 conference, at least not this year where there aren't really any great teams. Bama's best win prior to Monday was, what, LSU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

MourningView posted:

Bama's best win prior to Monday was, what, LSU?

They broke Florida State.

• Locked thread