Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

What's the over/under that AWS (et al) have massive rolling restarts on their instances when they have a fix for the Intel shenanigans? That surely won't break anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Virigoth posted:

What's the over/under that AWS (et al) have massive rolling restarts on their instances when they have a fix for the Intel shenanigans? That surely won't break anything.

What if they have developed a custom hot-patch for the kernel that can actually convert the address space layout of processes without any interruption? It may be possible.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Virigoth posted:

Not if you've properly designed your architecture!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jeoh posted:

lol

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Jeoh posted:

What do you mean you can do more than run a VM farm in the cloud!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Virigoth posted:

What do you mean you can do more than run a VM farm in the cloud!

I'm hosting my private cloud in the public cloud. That's a hybrid cloud right?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jeoh posted:

I'm hosting my private cloud in the public cloud. That's a hybrid cloud right?

Clouds in clouds in clouds in butts in clouds in buttes in clouds... where am I? Why the gently caress is Leo here? Man he's got some good mescaline.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Weird moment this afternoon. Bill called me into his office because he had three AT&T reps there and they wanted to talk about internet and phones. I could've blown him off but I'm not a vindictive rear end in a top hat like him. There were no seats left so I stood and discussed the usual dumb vendor stuff for about 15-20 minutes before I excused myself.

Not long after the reps left and Bill came into my office and took a seat. I thought he was going to do his usual blithering chatter when he's trying to look like he knows something that he doesn't.

Instead he apologized for his past behavior, saying that he was catching poo poo from every direction, and that he hoped we could leave it in the past and work together. This was unexpected, but of little value due to his past godawful behavior. I don't need or want his apology. I have no idea where this came from. We rarely interact.

I just thanked him and said that I thought that we were already working together fine and that I expected that to continue. He repeated his apology, possibly because he could see that I was unaffected. Maybe he wanted me to say "I forgive you." He said that when the pressure on him eased up he felt much better, but that he didn't know what changed. Just that he wasn't getting crapped on as much as he used to.

I don't forgive him. His behavior was terrible, his excuse is weak, and he's still a bigot and a misogynist. I think back about all the pressure I've experienced throughout my life, and that I have never exploded on a coworker. Never cursed them out, never backed them into a corner to try and intimidate them. No coworker of mine ever had to wonder if I was about to become violent.

I would never trust him and am not going to pretend we're buddies. I'll be professional with him because we're at work and I'm a professional. That's it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dick Trauma posted:

Weird moment this afternoon. Bill called me into his office because he had three AT&T reps there and they wanted to talk about internet and phones. I could've blown him off but I'm not a vindictive rear end in a top hat like him. There were no seats left so I stood and discussed the usual dumb vendor stuff for about 15-20 minutes before I excused myself.

Not long after the reps left and Bill came into my office and took a seat. I thought he was going to do his usual blithering chatter when he's trying to look like he knows something that he doesn't.

Instead he apologized for his past behavior, saying that he was catching poo poo from every direction, and that he hoped we could leave it in the past and work together. This was unexpected, but of little value due to his past godawful behavior. I don't need or want his apology. I have no idea where this came from. We rarely interact.

I just thanked him and said that I thought that we were already working together fine and that I expected that to continue. He repeated his apology, possibly because he could see that I was unaffected. Maybe he wanted me to say "I forgive you." He said that when the pressure on him eased up he felt much better, but that he didn't know what changed. Just that he wasn't getting crapped on as much as he used to.

I don't forgive him. His behavior was terrible, his excuse is weak, and he's still a bigot and a misogynist. I think back about all the pressure I've experienced throughout my life, and that I have never exploded on a coworker. Never cursed them out, never backed them into a corner to try and intimidate them. No coworker of mine ever had to wonder if I was about to become violent.

I would never trust him and am not going to pretend we're buddies. I'll be professional with him because we're at work and I'm a professional. That's it.

Sounds like one of two things:

1. He just got some really bad medical news and is trying to make amends
2. Or it is part of a New Years resolution to not be a giant shitbag.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

3. He sees the writing on the wall and is trying to gather allies but is worried he burned too many bridges.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
He's in a program, probably.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even sociopaths have off days, he'll be back to his normal self the next time something irritates him.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Edited this post down a dozen times, long story short.

We have a development partner for our ERP system who provides a niche product. In October, I specced out some functionality for them to build, and they estimated 35 hours across 3 sections (10, 10, 15).

The project got pushed until now, and I updated the spec, made a few minor changes, and added another bit of functionality.

The estimates are now 24, 24, 56!!!, And another 56 for that new task.

I reviewed their prior SOW for substantial changes and sections 1 and 2 were trivially changed, section 3 literally unchanged.

This is asinine and I really feel like it was a gently caress you to me. One of our leads got fired, and he had a great relationship with them and was their POC. Now I'm holding the bag and they seem to be annoyed by every request I make and aren't 'playing ball' whatsoever.

I would love to fire them but we are so in bed with them at this point the cost and time would be brutal.

gently caress.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Does the company name have too many a's in it?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Fool posted:

Does the company name have too many a's in it?

Negative.

However, they did once send us an installer with their own company name typo'd with an extra letter in the install path.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Virigoth posted:

Guess we’ll find out how some of that goes tomorrow with restarts is the word on the street. Future stuff maybe pissing me off.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Personal problem, so I should see my chaplain, but it's too funny not to share and this seems to be the "gently caress printers" thread:

Y'know how the male end of a USB-A is exactly the width of an RJ-45 ethernet plug? Tuns out USB-B is similarly the same size as an RJ-11 phone jack.

I bought a receipt printer on a lark (at $20, why not?) that has both, and it took a good ten minutes and three failed test page attempts to look and find out I'd put it in the wrong hole. :saddowns:

There's probably a reason, if only that the engineer who designed USB was a sadist.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Delivery McGee posted:

Personal problem, so I should see my chaplain, but it's too funny not to share and this seems to be the "gently caress printers" thread:

Y'know how the male end of a USB-A is exactly the width of an RJ-45 ethernet plug? Tuns out USB-B is similarly the same size as an RJ-11 phone jack.

I bought a receipt printer on a lark (at $20, why not?) that has both, and it took a good ten minutes and three failed test page attempts to look and find out I'd put it in the wrong hole. :saddowns:

There's probably a reason, if only that the engineer who designed USB was a sadist.

she usually lets you know the first time you try to put it in the wrong hole

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Delivery McGee posted:

Aces!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Virigoth posted:

I have nothing to go on other than forum reports, but Azure has started rolling out the fix and making everyone reboot.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo pissing me off: missed my flight by 2 minutes to go back to Boise for my friends wake. I even showed up 2 hours early!

poo poo not pissing me off: I told the lady at the gate that it I was traveling for a funeral and she rebooked me for the very next flight for no charge, put me in a front seat, and I can still make my connecting flight.

poo poo pissing me off: my connecting flight is at O’Hare and O’Hare sucks.

Edit*

Bereavement only applies to immediate family, but I can work remote. My work tried to get me to use vacation days, which I replied “sure, but then I won’t work remote.” After a long pause my boss tore up the vacation request form and said “just log into slack once a day and we will be good.” Now I have 7 days away from work for free I guess. It sucks about the circumstances though. :smith:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 4, 2018

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Proteus Jones posted:

I have nothing to go on other than forum reports, but Azure has started rolling out the fix and making everyone reboot.

AWS is doing reboots today also

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I swear to god I've just had a developer complaining about our analytics platform say "I used Google Analytics once and it had no schema required and a simple API and I could make powerful reports!".

Yeah no poo poo our team barely has two developers, I think GA are slightly better resourced.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ratbert90 posted:

poo poo pissing me off: missed my flight by 2 minutes to go back to Boise for my friends wake. I even showed up 2 hours early!

poo poo not pissing me off: I told the lady at the gate that it I was traveling for a funeral and she rebooked me for the very next flight for no charge, put me in a front seat, and I can still make my connecting flight.

poo poo pissing me off: my connecting flight is at O’Hare and O’Hare sucks.

Edit*

Bereavement only applies to immediate family, but I can work remote. My work tried to get me to use vacation days, which I replied “sure, but then I won’t work remote.” After a long pause my boss tore up the vacation request form and said “just log into slack once a day and we will be good.” Now I have 7 days away from work for free I guess. It sucks about the circumstances though. :smith:

lol that your work expected you to both take vacation days for a funeral(wtf) and then also expected you to work through it. Even my lovely dying company wouldn't do either of those things.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

This guy is definitely pissed off

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Why are they even posting about 0.9 in 2018? It was barely relevant in 2016 when the ticket was opened.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Peachfart posted:

lol that your work expected you to both take vacation days for a funeral(wtf) and then also expected you to work through it. Even my lovely dying company wouldn't do either of those things.

I don’t plan on sticking around long anyways. I am completely 100% out of any fucks to give at all and this behavior is expected from them. I am going to leave in the middle of a huge project and they will be hosed for months because of it and I don’t feel even slightly bad.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Two things annoying me.

1. we had a flood during Christmas/New Year's break in our receiving area, and the printer got eff'ed up, it's not covered by our lease, and it's minimum $850 to fix. That's if after replacing the fried control panel everything else works fine. Until they replace the panel, they can't tell if anything else is broken.

2. I have 3 monitors of identical make and model. 2 are connected via displayport, 1 via vga. None of the three have the same colour temp despite settings being identical on all 3, so I've had to arrange them from bluest to reddest. Tweaking the settings individually didn't help.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

2. I have 3 monitors of identical make and model. 2 are connected via displayport, 1 via vga. None of the three have the same colour temp despite settings being identical on all 3, so I've had to arrange them from bluest to reddest. Tweaking the settings individually didn't help.

Have you checked whether your desk is travelling sideways near light speed?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

We're all stuck to this rock hurtling at insane speed through the universe

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mewse posted:

We're all stuck to this rock hurtling at insane speed through the universe

Speed is a fiction of inertial frames, much like annual raises.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Thing pissing me off: Poor messaging and now media hype about this intel related hardware issue and exploits(including amd) have people freaking the gently caress out and bothering me about it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jaded Burnout posted:

That WOULD explain why the day seems to take forever sometimes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I actually have this same problem. Two identical monitors, connected with the same type of cable. Same settings. One on the right is redder and slightly brighter. I ended up manually shifting the brightness around a bit to get them equal months ago, but color temp I've never been able to get consistent.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Two things annoying me.

1. we had a flood during Christmas/New Year's break in our receiving area, and the printer got eff'ed up, it's not covered by our lease, and it's minimum $850 to fix. That's if after replacing the fried control panel everything else works fine. Until they replace the panel, they can't tell if anything else is broken.

I have dealt with this multiple times, and the answer is to claim the printer as a loss via your insurance company and write it off. Electronics and water don't mix, and depending on where that water got into, you could have board issues(if this is an mfp, the copier could have several boards), clutches will rust, bearings will seize.
The printer company will eternally claim that anything weird that happens will be the fault of the water, for the next million or so years.
Don't get it repaired.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
:downswords: "Hey, we would like you to take over this product from our team we dislike dealing with it and its more your area."

:clint: "Sorry, I don't know anything about that product and I am managing too much as it is. I don't have time to learn it. Its still all yours."

Fast foward 2 months later....

:classiclol: "Hey, that team said you were the person to talk about this product as it hasn't been working for 6 weeks."

Walks them over to the other team...

:clint: "Did you tell this person I was in charge of this product?"

:downswords: "Yes, we handed it off to you two months ago."

:clint: "You tried to and I told you no. Lets all visit the CIO. He can decide."

CIO :wtc: "This isn't how you hand over projects. You don't just abandon things to other people. Totally unacceptable."

The idiot team lead of that team has left to go home for the rest of the day and has apparently threatened to quit. To be fair, before I flat out told him no I tried to have meetings to discuss it in full and he kept dodging me. gently caress em.

Eating free lunch from a korean burger place and having a great loving day.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Peachfart posted:

I have dealt with this multiple times, and the answer is to claim the printer as a loss via your insurance company and write it off. Electronics and water don't mix, and depending on where that water got into, you could have board issues(if this is an mfp, the copier could have several boards), clutches will rust, bearings will seize.
The printer company will eternally claim that anything weird that happens will be the fault of the water, for the next million or so years.
Don't get it repaired.

I think that might be how we're going. The printer company even offered to bill directly to our insurance, so I think that's what they expect us to do, just get it swapped. And yeah, it's a huge Samsung MFP with the tablet-looking control panel, which is the part that's most obviously fried.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

poo poo not pissing me off is my new org's response to Meltdown/Spectre. A bunch of teams are collaborating to figure out our best plan of attack, and have been very proactive in informing customers/the university at large. Everyone is extremely competent, on their game, taking this all seriously, not panicking.

Was wondering about old org, and what my boss is doing to address this, and I'm pretty sure it's nothing. After WannaCry, I wrote up an incident report which included my recommendations, gave it to my boss and his boss. Old boss didn't act on any of my recommendations, which means all the critical systems that were 'his' responsibility are not patched, and will likely remain unpatched for months. There's no process for automated server patching (servers automatically rebooting was too scary for him), let alone firmware updates to the hypervisors (everything had to be done in person because he never got around to turning on iLO/iDRAC), and when I left he was still waffling on replacing the drives to our main storage device even though they were now ~1.3yrs out of warranty, and the replacements had been acquired (by me) 6 months back.

Now if I could just get my lovely unergonomic workstation replaced with a standing desk, I might start to think I'd landed into my pod.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sickening posted:

The idiot team lead of that team has left to go home for the rest of the day and has apparently threatened to quit. To be fair, before I flat out told him no I tried to have meetings to discuss it in full and he kept dodging me. gently caress em.

Good loving riddance, best possible scenario for the company to get rid of dead weight without paying out severance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Good loving riddance, best possible scenario for the company to get rid of dead weight without paying out severance.

I just don't understand this thought process or what he believed was going to happen.