Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wild Irish Rose. Or Night Train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

While we are at it how much GHB can you take for how long before you start having seizures?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEkC_Q1ERyk

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd posted:

Hahahahaha... here's some light reading for you: https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthon...n/#338ed13c44fd

Self quoting for some BWM schadenfreude for all the people who will be likely committing tax fraud this year:

quote:

Q: Wait...certain businesses can't take the deduction? Which ones?

A: This, my friend, is likely to become one of the more prevalent --and impactful -- questions in all of the tax law over the coming years. It starts like so: Section 199A(d)(1) makes clear that there are two "trades or businesses" that are not eligible for the 20% of QBI deduction:

Anyone who is in the business of being an employee (yes, being an employee is considered being in a business), and
Any "specified service trade or business."
Then, Section 199A(d)(2)(A) defines a "specified trade or business" in reference to Section 1202(e)(3)(A), which includes the following:

"any trade or business involving the performance of services in the fields of health, law, engineering, architecture, accounting, actuarial science, performing arts, consulting, athletics, financial services, brokerage services, or any trade or business where the principal asset of such trade or business is the reputation or skill of 1 or more of its employees."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rick Rickshaw posted:

People ignore the :biotruths: at their peril. It's just a bigger roll of the dice at 30 than at 27 is all I'm saying.

It's really not.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

baquerd posted:

Self quoting for some BWM schadenfreude for all the people who will be likely committing tax fraud this year:

Wait, so basically no companies can take the deduction?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Marrying rich nerds seems GWL, but then again they might be into anime or cosplay :sever:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, so basically no companies can take the deduction?

Looks like it excludes all real businesses leaving only shell companies that exist for laundering.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

baquerd posted:

Probably it won't matter for the most part, since the IRS is continuing to have its enforcement budget slashed. Now that's some serious BWM on a national level, "saving" money by on tax enforcement while the resulting fraud results in more lost revenue than the original budget savings.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
never seen a dude argue for the :biotruths: and actually use the :biotruths: emoticon

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

A friend's friend's girlfriend recently informed me that butt-chugging was ubiquitous at her college and the administration had to tell people to please stop doing it so much.

Imagine the grinding of teeth as, after yet another hospitalization, the dean finally accepted they were going to have to make an announcement on the subject.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If they didn't title the announcement "Bottoms Up" then I'm going to be very disappointed in that college.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

bob dobbs is dead posted:

never seen a dude argue for the :biotruths: and actually use the :biotruths: emoticon

Well thank goodness one goon is brave enough to take a stand against those >30-year-old unlovable ghouls and their decrepit saggy tits and balls

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What is a brotruth? Is there an equivalent uhhh "basic bitch" truth?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Lowness 72 posted:

What is a brotruth? Is there an equivalent uhhh "basic bitch" truth?

Broscience is a term used for fitness stuff, and the evangelists of it are "brofessors"

It's how you hear weird superstitions and myths about the exact ratio of carbs one should be eating that have no basis in any sort of actual science.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Probably it won't matter for the most part, since the IRS is continuing to have its enforcement budget slashed. Now that's some serious BWM on a national level, "saving" money by on tax enforcement while the resulting fraud results in more lost revenue than the original budget savings.

The US has one of the (if not the highest) highest tax compliance rates in the developed world, it's entirely possible that it won't make much difference and that spending more money to chase the relative few scofflaws would not realize a net increase in revenues.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Phanatic posted:

The US has one of the (if not the highest) highest tax compliance rates in the developed world, it's entirely possible that it won't make much difference and that spending more money to chase the relative few scofflaws would not realize a net increase in revenues.
There is research that shows something like $25 returned for every $1 invested in the IRS for compliance, so yes it would realize a large increase.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Is that that at the margin? Or is it "We currently spend $X on enforcement and collect $Y revenue, and Y/X = 25"? I'm thinking it's the latter, because only about 2% of the revenue the IRS collects each year comes from enforcement actions.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 3, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Phanatic posted:

2% of the revenue the IRS collects each year comes from enforcement actions.

Isn't that a lot of loving money though?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Inept posted:

Isn't that a lot of loving money though?

Sure, but it's a question of what happens at the margin, not the full amount.

US's tax voluntary tax compliance rate is something like 83%.
US enforcement actions result in a net compliance rate of 85%, an increase of 2%.

Enforcement actions generate ~2% of the revenues. Individual income taxes revenue for FY2017 were $1.58 trillion, so that's about 32 billion dollars. IRS enforcement budget in 2016 was $4.7 billion (not sure what it was in 2017, but probably not hugely different).

2% of IRS revenues is definitely significant, but it doesn't mean that if you double the enforcement budget spend $9.4 billion on enforcement that you'd thereby double what you'd collect. That's why I asked about what the marginal effect is. If we spend all the money on enforcement that we're spending today, plus one more dollar, how much more revenue do we get?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-tax/irs-funding-cuts-compromise-taxpayer-service-and-weaken-enforcement

quote:

As a result of cuts, the IRS is conducting fewer audits overall and fewer audits of high-income taxpayers and businesses. In 2010, it audited 1.1 percent of individual returns; in 2015, it audited only 0.8 percent, the lowest level in a decade.[19] The IRS audited 1.2 million taxpayers in 2015 — 13,700 fewer than in 2014 and over 350,000 below 2010.[20] This represents a 22 percent drop. Audits recovered about 30 percent ($30 billion) less in revenue in the past five years than in the prior five years.

Enforcement has suffered in part in spite of evidence that various IRS enforcement efforts save many times what they cost. The Treasury estimates, for example, that every additional $1 invested in IRS tax enforcement beyond current levels would yield $4 in increased revenue.[21] As Commissioner Koskinen summarized, “Essentially, the government is losing billions to achieve budget savings of a few hundred million dollars.”[22]

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-tax/irs-funding-cuts-compromise-taxpayer-service-and-weaken-enforcement

quote:

quote:
As a result of cuts, the IRS is conducting fewer audits overall and fewer audits of high-income taxpayers and businesses. In 2010, it audited 1.1 percent of individual returns; in 2015, it audited only 0.8 percent, the lowest level in a decade.[19] The IRS audited 1.2 million taxpayers in 2015 — 13,700 fewer than in 2014 and over 350,000 below 2010.[20] This represents a 22 percent drop. Audits recovered about 30 percent ($30 billion) less in revenue in the past five years than in the prior five years.

Enforcement has suffered in part in spite of evidence that various IRS enforcement efforts save many times what they cost. The Treasury estimates, for example, that every additional $1 invested in IRS tax enforcement beyond current levels would yield $4 in increased revenue.[21] As Commissioner Koskinen summarized, “Essentially, the government is losing billions to achieve budget savings of a few hundred million dollars.”[22]

Thanks. I won't dispute that figure, because I don't have anything better and it's not incredible, but I do have to point out that that is a pretty dishonest cite (Not on your part, on the author of that article). If you follow the citation, it's to prepared remarks of an IRS Commissioner's speech to the American Institute of CPAs. The full text of the remarks is here:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/prepared-remarks-of-commissioner-koskinen-before-the-aicpa

Here's the direct quote:

quote:

These numbers show that when you have fewer employees doing compliance work, you end up leaving tax revenue on the table. In cutting the IRS budget, the government is forgoing billions just to achieve budget savings of a few hundred million dollars, since we estimate that every $1 invested in the IRS produces $4 in revenue. Some estimates are even higher. No one in all my hearings and private meetings on Capitol Hill has ever disagreed with our assertion that if you give us $1, you will get at least $4 back. Nonetheless, the IRS’s budget continues to be cut.

Koskinen's figure is a general figure, it's not limited to tax enforcement. I don't dispute his general point (or anything anyone here's said, for that matter - another place IRS cuts hurt revenue collected is by reducing voluntary compliance in the first place, since people who can't get their questions answered in a reasonable amount of time are more likely to just not file), but this quote doesn't say what CBPP says it says.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The new thread title is a good vintage.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm still like, astonished, that someone would write that anal wine post.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm still like, astonished, that someone would write that anal wine post.

It basically suggests getting women drunk and then raping them anally. Perhaps the post was written from experience.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Devian666 posted:

It basically suggests getting women drunk and then raping them anally. Perhaps the post was written from experience.

The original poster was a woman and I think she was trying to be funny and just failing really hard.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

The original poster was a woman and I think she was trying to be funny and just failing really hard.
Yeah I think it was one of those suburban mom jokes about like, "I'll let him do whatever to me when I'm drunk because I'm so WILD and CRAZY and SUPER NOT FEELING OLD YET!!!!!!"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Sure, but it's a question of what happens at the margin, not the full amount.

US's tax voluntary tax compliance rate is something like 83%.
US enforcement actions result in a net compliance rate of 85%, an increase of 2%.

Enforcement actions generate ~2% of the revenues. Individual income taxes revenue for FY2017 were $1.58 trillion, so that's about 32 billion dollars. IRS enforcement budget in 2016 was $4.7 billion (not sure what it was in 2017, but probably not hugely different).

2% of IRS revenues is definitely significant, but it doesn't mean that if you double the enforcement budget spend $9.4 billion on enforcement that you'd thereby double what you'd collect. That's why I asked about what the marginal effect is. If we spend all the money on enforcement that we're spending today, plus one more dollar, how much more revenue do we get?

I'm certain that effective enforcement results in a greater rate of voluntary compliance as well. Otherwise you end up like Greece and suddenly no one is bothering to pay anything.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Rick Rickshaw is quickly taking over as the worst poster in this thread. Comes in guns a blazing with some really boring self-posting/humblebragging and follows up with some nice, light misogyny and biotruth nonsense. Fantastic start.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProRevenge/comments/7nxjgh/guy_quit_his_job_thinking_he_became_rich/

quote:

Hey new to reddit..i thought i would post my story here. I work for a construction company and we do remodeling on homes. We have a rule here that we get to keep anything we find hidden behind the walls. We hired this guy (we really needed a worker badly) who was a total a-hole from day one. Ive been working for this company for 5 years and this guy has only been doing construction for 1 year after he got fired from his accounting job for getting a dui. Anyways..he would always make fun of my clothes and my accent and one day he went too far by telling my boss about my private instagram account pics. He got on my phone and looked through my instagram page and showed my boss pictures of me smoking weed. ( little did he know that my boss is my friend from 8 years when we used to smoke together before we both quit) i was so mad that he violated my privacy then i made a plan to gently caress him over. He was the kind of guy who would always come in late and complain that trains or traffic is why he was always late. One day i over heard him saying that if he won the lottery he would quit this job for not getting the "respect" he deserves. (You have to earn your respect here.) One day i bought some fake gold coins online and i put them in a metal box i found at the antique store and waited for a chance to hide it in a wall. Luckly i did not have to wait long. The day he found the coins it seemed like it was his best day ever. First thing he did when he opened the box.. he called my boss a fing loser and he quit imedietly on the spot. He said" f this place..im rich"... Lol.. little did he know was that, that was the best day of my life. After he quit my boss told us that he was going to fire him anyways for always showing up late...i wish i could see the look on his face when he finds out the gold coins are fake. Best $40 i spent in my life. ( i apologize for my grammar..this just happened today and my addrenaline is pumping hard. Thanks for reading.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dillbag posted:

There was also an old man that died after his wife helped him buttchug too much brandy. He was an alcoholic that had ruined his esophageal tract so he couldn't drink. IIRC she was charged with manslaughter but the charges were later dropped.

Not a goon, just some schmoe. But wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a goon.

It was sherry. Literally anal wine.

http://www.seattlepi.com/national/article/Woman-accused-of-giving-husband-lethal-sherry-1165596.php

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

3L of anal sherry is well beyond a lethal dose. On the upside at least he didn't drink it.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Barry posted:

Rick Rickshaw is quickly taking over as the worst poster in this thread. Comes in guns a blazing with some really boring self-posting/humblebragging and follows up with some nice, light misogyny and biotruth nonsense. Fantastic start.

Is this not the place you come to say the things you would never say in real life?

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Lysandus posted:

There is a cryptocurrency infection going around the office. At least two people have bought $4000+ mining rigs. Their calculations say they will break even in a year.

Something called ripple has shot up in price and now they are all buying more ripple now that the price is high.

They are now buying obscure variations of buttcoins that are worth pennies because they are all sure to explode.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Is this not the place you come to say the things you would never say in real life?

This is the thread where we come to post about BWM. People seem to forget that a lot.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Read the OP. Talking about yourself is prohibited because anyone who does it tends to humblebrag about poo poo no one cares about, so you're not alone there.

I have a ton of debt! I also have crypto!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7nmydy/9k_in_cc_debt_38k_student_loans_68k_parent_plus/ posted:

$9k in CC debt, $38k Student Loans, $6.8k Parent Plus Loan, $10k Car Loan and just got a windfall, but need some help deciding what to do.

As the post states, I have a bit of a windfall. I have an $8,000 bonus headed my way along with my first pay check ($2,300 for two weeks after taxes), my last pay check from another employer ($1,815 after taxes), and a PTO check from my last employer (~$1,000) after taxes.

Also, if anyone knows what my tax liability would be on the bonus or has a resource for that, I would appreciate it!

Expenses: $525 Rent $100 util $25 cable/internet $130 phone $125 car insurance $195 CC $89 parent loan $229 student loan $400 for food $150 gas

Assets * $15k Car * $1k Savings * $1k Musical Instrument (don't need this anymore but it is a family heirloom) * $1k in crypto

Liabilities

*$6,700 AMEX CC at 18% *$2,300 VISA CC at 0% until November then 18% *$10,000 car loan at 4% *$6,800 parent plus loan at 7% *$38k student loan at 3.5%

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I hope somebody told him to use that 8 grand to pay off his Amex

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
What the gently caress is it with essential oils? Met up with one of my husband's friends this christmas, and the wife was talking to me: "Yeah, so I put some essential lavender oil on my 8 month old baby's back, and it turned bright red like, immediately! I felt so bad! Haha!"

Uh, you should feel bad. That poo poo is loving poison to babies. And my cousin has on her facebook page that she's a "Young Living" representative selling essential oils, and my neighbor invites me to all of her MLM jewelry "parties" selling fifty cent Chinese earrings for $10. God drat it, I can't escape all of this poo poo now that I am a Fellow Mom. It's awful.

Another neighbor sent out a GoFundMe for a friend who's down on his luck to get him tickets to visit his family in Wisconsin. Okay, maybe I can chip in. Oh, wait, no, it's TRAIN tickets, the GoFundMe is for $4000. We didn't spend that much taking our whole family to hawaii, how the gently caress does anyone spend $4k to get to Wisconsin? Nobody donated.

Also we asked family not to get much for us or our kid as we don't have much room in our car anyway and she's not going to remember any of it. So they scaled back and only got her few books. Oh no, wait, they didn't, we ended up getting a plastic toy farm and a plastic toy airplane and a plastic toy bus and all of it makes these wonderful noises, and they got me a Keurig single-cup coffee machine because hey, why not make this the most wasteful Christmas ever? And then they also got us a roof rack for our car, so we'd have no excuse not to take all of these presents back with us. AHHHHHH, I love them but AHHHHHHH! Take that money and put it toward your debt so we don't have to support you in your old age!

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

BWM: buying an apartment in your (much younger) husband's name so that he'll have "security" and then getting dumped and kicked out of said apartment.

quote:

Florin Marin, 24, married retired Rev Philip Clements, 79, in April but dumped him just months later after being given ownership of their €100,000 flat in Bucharest.

Mr Clements “lost everything” after selling his £200,000 home in Sandwich, Kent to fund the move to Romania and is now back in the UK staying with friends.

But male model Florin has moved on to wealthy dad-of-one Jeronimo Jesus de Vega, 48 — and boasted of late-night partying and splashing his cash.

GWM: being a male model with absolutely no morals whatsoever.

E: also holy poo poo that second picture. Such a convincing romance

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

moana posted:

What the gently caress is it with essential oils? Met up with one of my husband's friends this christmas, and the wife was talking to me: "Yeah, so I put some essential lavender oil on my 8 month old baby's back, and it turned bright red like, immediately! I felt so bad! Haha!"

This makes me just fucken seethe. That is child abuse.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Don't be a little bitch, you should speak your mind irl

But to answer your question, no you'll find that most of us have no problem repeating the stuff we say here within other contexts, why would we? Except for John Smith probably.

Today, one of my co-workers left to join another ex coworker in her tarot reading/other dumb bullshit business. It's probably BWM but to be honest I'm just pissed that the ex-coworker has been enjoying a ton of success

In an era where we all have mini computers in our pockets, working for a massive and very successful tech company is no longer as lucrative as spinning bullshit to people, not unless you're upper mgmt of course

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

moana posted:

People really want to believe in a magic cure-all that they can buy that will fix all their problems instantly. Plexus and Thrive are also peddling variations of this kind of woo. Even It Works has moved from weight loss to miracle supplements.

Wow only $175 a month! Such a bargain.