Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Thank goodness that even in Atlanta, I have a gas heater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

Thank goodness that even in Atlanta, I have a gas heater.

I grew up with gas heat, and while that blast of warm air always felt nice, the temperature stability and comfort provided by the heat pump makes me not miss the gas heat at all. Of course I live in the Phoenix metro area, where temps rarely get below freezing, so a heat pump never really has a difficult time keeping the house warm (I keep it at 74) unless I shut it off and let the house cool down too much (vacations), where it has to work hard to get the temp back up.

It doesn't hurt that I have solar which more than offsets my power consumption from 7a - 7p except for 2-3 months in the summer.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Building houses and a power grid that can't keep the temp above 65 when its 35 out should be a criminal offense.

Hell I thought my house was bad but its like 65 in here and 1 degree out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm making anywhere from 20-25 an hour most weeks, have a pretty low stress job, and work as much or as little as I want. :colbert:

So I should save this for the :argh: rant, then.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Darchangel posted:

He was, and is, Some Texas Redneck, AKA STR.
Ah, right.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

epic bird guy posted:

Building houses and a power grid that can't keep the temp above 65 when its 35 out should be a criminal offense.

Hell I thought my house was bad but its like 65 in here and 1 degree out.

So it's not the grid that can't heat the house, it's the heat pump that can't keep up, regardless of power supply.

And the request for people to mind consumption probably has less to do with inability to keep up....than with the way power is billed to utilities being demand based. They're worried about the demand surcharge eating their rear end alive and going into the red for the month. :v:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

angryrobots posted:

So it's not the grid that can't heat the house, it's the heat pump that can't keep up, regardless of power supply.

And the request for people to mind consumption probably has less to do with inability to keep up....than with the way power is billed to utilities being demand based. They're worried about the demand surcharge eating their rear end alive and going into the red for the month. :v:

To the first part yeah that was dumb of me, for the second:

NitroSpazzz posted:

All the power companies in the area have asked people to reduce their thermostat and avoid any unnecessary power consumption because they're struggling to keep up.

The idea of not having a huge furnace in every house is strange and foreign and confusing to me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's not that they don't expect everyone to have HVAC, it's that they don't expect everyone's systems to be running at the same time. If the system is cycling on and off so it's only running 10 or 20 minutes out of every hour, your peak load is going to be a lot lower than if everyone's HVAC is running non-stop.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Cold snaps like these are funny, growing up in Michigan and then coming down to Florida you'd think I'd be super smug but no, after being down here for 10 years now I'm just as whiny and thin-skinned to cold as everyone else I mocked when I first arrived. It's 52F outside and it might as well be 10F.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think epic bird guy is commenting on the lack of fossil-fuel based heat sources, in areas that regularly experience cold weather.

And yeah, that's a thing. The other problem is the massive numbers of houses that desperately need better insulation. But there are weatherization programs in every state that can help, organized by the EPA.....for now.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's in the power companies' interest to reduce the base load so they don't have to build more infrastructure.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I have an opportunity.

A friend of mine has a Jeep Cherokee they're looking to get rid of. They offered it to me for fifty bucks.

The bad, from his email:

quote:

1. It hasn't started since the temperatures have dropped.

2. There's rust damage underneath.

3. The the front windows are bolted up.

4. It's hasn't moved in about a year now.

5. I avoided getting an Indiana title when I moved here since I bought the Toyota at that same time. So I only have a michigan title.

Additionally, I have five vehicles currently and don't exactly need it. And the wife isn't happy about me getting a sixth.

On the other hand, it's a Cherokee with the 4.0 that probably just needs a battery and it's fifty bucks. I could make a profit if I part it out. I can put it in my backyard for the time being and go through it in the spring.

Should I?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

That's correct. Until today I didn't even know what a heat pump was.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

CornHolio posted:

A friend of mine has a Jeep Cherokee they're looking to get rid of. They offered it to me for fifty bucks.

The bad, from his email:

Additionally, I have five vehicles currently and don't exactly need it. And the wife isn't happy about me getting a sixth.

On the other hand, it's a Cherokee with the 4.0 that probably just needs a battery and it's fifty bucks. I could make a profit if I part it out. I can put it in my backyard for the time being and go through it in the spring.

Should I?

I'd pass. Anything weird title related starts alarm bells in my mind.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

epic bird guy posted:

I'd pass. Anything weird title related starts alarm bells in my mind.

Why though? I'd be transferring the title from Michigan to Indiana so I imagine there'd be a fee involved, but a title transfer from out of state is like $15 and registration would be $22.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

CornHolio posted:

Why though? I'd be transferring the title from Michigan to Indiana so I imagine there'd be a fee involved, but a title transfer from out of state is like $15 and registration would be $22.

Well yeah assuming everything is good to go and in your friends name there should be no problem, but title transfers have immense ability to suck hugely. All that is on top of the other issues you mentioned.

That said, this ain't automotive sanity :getin:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

epic bird guy posted:

Well yeah assuming everything is good to go and in your friends name there should be no problem, but title transfers have immense ability to suck hugely. All that is on top of the other issues you mentioned.

That said, this ain't automotive sanity :getin:

Yeah I probably wouldn't touch it if he didn't have a proper title. And it isn't like I'd be driving it while I got the titlework sorted out.

edit: I have some buddies from work begging me to buy it and sell it to them already so I guess I'd be pretty stupid to not to it. Not looking to flip it though, I've always wanted to pay reverence to the AMC 4.0.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 3, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Car update: 2 more knuckles delivered from junkyards this morning, they are exact fits for my car, but both have the exact same damage to the ball joint seat that mine did. I need my car back before classes start next Monday and I don't feel comfortable crossing my fingers that aftermarket parts will fit right, so I'm stuck paying oem price.

THIS WAS JUST SUPPOSED TO BE AN OIL CHANGE AND EXHAUST LEAK FIX GOD DAMMIT

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is the damage on all of them bad enough to be past just reaming them out a bit?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CornHolio posted:

The bad, from his email:

Should I?

GIMMIE

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy gently caress. The mix of local politics and city workers is just a mindfuck.

Visited a client of mine this morning. Pulled up and noticed some city workers a pit in front of the plant. This is never a good thing. Go in and talk to the maintenance manager and ask WTF happened over the holidays.

Well, let me tell you she says..

Christmas Eve, plant workers around lunchtime noticed water burbling up to the surface. They've had water breaks before in this area, so they knew exactly what it was. Called the city utility emergency #. They made it out a couple hours later :sigh:

Went to turn off the city service valve, snapped the valve off. Got a backhoe out to expose the service, and soon saw the 4" service pipe totally sheared. This is by now around 5PM Christmas Eve. What does the city do? They said they aren't going to touch it until the 27th... because, holidays, workers, yadda. Good thing it wasn't an emergency or anything like that you know.

So they had a 4" service line running full tilt underground for 2.5 days. My friend, the maintenance manager, spent the entire Christmas and 26th on flood watch duty in case the water made and ice dam and flooded the plant.

City gets around to coming back the morning of the 27th (after a mixture of Niagra Falls and Old Faithful going on for the better part of 3 days) and SURPRISE - the massive amount of water totally wore away and undercut the paved road and train tracks 50' away. The high pressure gas line is now severely bowed as well because it was literally hanging in mid air since the ground it was buried in was now, uh, missing. So now instead of a handful of guys patching the line and working late Christmas eve, it's going to be a multi-hundreds of thousands, if not millions :10bux: and now that it's winter who knows how soon they'll be able to properly repair the road and train tracks, since it's now an engineering problem and they're not going to let you just fill it and pave/lay tracks over it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The suits for the wedding arrived and they're the right color and 2 out of 7 fit perfectly! (five yet to come over to try them on)

WHEW. I was seriously sweating that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

The suits for the wedding arrived and they're the right color

Plum crazy or sassy grass green?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Plum crazy or sassy grass green?

I would have loved to get hitched in that brilliant blue one but we ended up with a slate gray.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slidebite posted:

Holy gently caress. The mix of local politics and city workers is just a mindfuck.

Lol... I can't even comprehend that. I used to work in underground utilities and have seen first hand the damage a broken undergound line can do, and I have to imagine that the city water crews are well aware of it also. Plus living in the desert, someone would get fired super fast for letting a 4" line blow for multiple days!

Those city crews would be making big bucks out on an emergency repair like that also, so it probably wasn't a crew-level call, was almost assuredly a stupid mid-level manager, but because it's a government job, will see no repercussions.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Some idiot probably thought it would save money to not pay overtime on a stat.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

Is the damage on all of them bad enough to be past just reaming them out a bit?

It's the tapered hole that the ball joint seats in. I haven't seen the ones from today, but mine was well past the point of saving (picture upthread) short of a bodge or weld repair or whatever. I don't even know if most shops have taper reamers for stuff like this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

It's the tapered hole that the ball joint seats in. I haven't seen the ones from today, but mine was well past the point of saving (picture upthread) short of a bodge or weld repair or whatever. I don't even know if most shops have taper reamers for stuff like this.
Mm, just wondering if one of the replacements was, if not good, at least better. I'd have thought that most garages would at least know someone who had a taper reamer if they didn't have one themselves. I've got a couple of old ones at the back of the garage myself.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

loving fed up with my workplace. I got shafted, my boss/coworker got shafted, and my wife (different department) just got hosed to. They just promoted a guy with less industry experience, but 6 months more at the company, who lacks the technical chops for the job, into a senior position.

Guess I'm moving soon.

gently caress companies that don't value decent employees.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So another question, can I use AAA to tow a non-running vehicle I just bought home? Or do I need to push it into the street first and act all upset about it breaking down?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CornHolio posted:

So another question, can I use AAA to tow a non-running vehicle I just bought home? Or do I need to push it into the street first and act all upset about it breaking down?

My gut says "you paid for it, you can use the tows however you want". So naturally it's probably the opposite.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Nah you can use AAA for whatever. I've done it more than once.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

CornHolio posted:

Sometimes the tow truck drivers can be lovely about it, but 99% of the time they don't give a gently caress because they're just contractors. If they need a plate number just give them the one from your DD.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

So now instead of a handful of guys patching the line and working late Christmas eve, it's going to be a multi-hundreds of thousands, if not millions :10bux: and now that it's winter who knows how soon they'll be able to properly repair the road and train tracks, since it's now an engineering problem and they're not going to let you just fill it and pave/lay tracks over it.

Mismanagement to this degree always blows my mind. The city I live in has a combined sewer overflow system - storm sewers can mix with sanitary sewers in very heavy rain, then the two mix and under the right conditions there can be raw sewage discharge into waterways.

The city has known about it for decades and made a number of bandaid fixes over the years, like a two million gallon overflow cistern. But eventually the federal EPA had enough and entered into a consent decree with the city, mandating a $1.4 billion remediation project, much of which is going towards a 30' x 6000' tunnel that will have a 27.5 million gallon capacity to handle overflow, in addition to a number of lesser tunnels, storage pools and strategic removal of interconnects between storm and sanitary sewers.

The overall result is a nearly 300% increase in sewer rates that are projected to last for generations. It's good that raw sewage will no longer be dumped into local rivers and streams, but this is what decades of kicking the can down the road looks like.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I know this is close to poly ticks, but god drat, Tesla... first they were promising Model 3 production of 5k/month by the end of 2017, now it's 2500 per week by the end of MARCH.

loving :lol:

So many people watching with their $1k deposits that they won't see a car for years and years.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 4, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Is anyone actually surprised by that? I know it's Tesla's MO to overpromise and under-deliver, but anyone who thought they'd meet those production goals was a fool.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There's a reason why "none" was the top sheep answer for the Tesla production question in sheep game.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ExplodingSims posted:

Is anyone actually surprised by that?

Not surprised, but still fascinated to watch this play out. They can't make a Model 3 to save their lives, yet they've already announced a semi, a supercar and then just promised a pickup truck... so bizarre, but I'll sit back and :munch:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

Not surprised, but still fascinated to watch this play out. They can't make a Model 3 to save their lives, yet they've already announced a semi, a supercar and then just promised a pickup truck... so bizarre, but I'll sit back and :munch:

I'm not going to say it's a Ponzi scheme, but they definitely have a business model that involves constantly roping in new capital to pay for the stuff they already committed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Eh, that $1k was just fun money anyways. I'm half expecting to never take delivery at this rate. Only time will tell.

• Locked thread