Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It's a new year. Thank gently caress for that because the last one goddamn sucked.

You know what to do and what to avoid. Falcons, sheds, chat, beer, no politics blah blah blah. That's the low effort OP because I'm goddamn exahusted from the poo poo 2017 threw at me and a whol lot of you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's a new year. Thank gently caress for that because the last one goddamn sucked.

You know what to do and what to avoid. Falcons, sheds, chat, beer, no politics blah blah blah. That's the low effort OP because I'm goddamn exahusted from the poo poo 2017 threw at me and a whol lot of you too.

:ffg: I didn't throw poo poo at you.

It's definitely been a hell of a year. hopefully we can only go up from here.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Happy new year, folks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Happy New year, from the past.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

You're usually in bed this time of night. Way to spring up upon us a new chat thread.
It just turned 2018 here 30min ago. Still seems sucky, but I agree, go get hosed 2017. It was the worst.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fo3 posted:

Still seems sucky, but I agree, go get hosed 2017. It was the worst.

You don’t remember 2016, do you?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Working on getting floors in the den and laundry room finished before my new years party tonight! We've been working on it for 2 weeks on weekends and weeknights and last night we got everything but the thresholds finished.

Those of you whove been to my house before will remember this room with nasty carpet and British Infantry Brown walls.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Just finished an old fashioned and now I'm working on a whisky mac but I'm gonna have to switch to brandy coffee if I want to actually see the end of '17.

Happy new year!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

MrYenko posted:

You don’t remember 2016, do you?

It's been poo poo since 2012. All downhill but I get to laugh at politics now (but won't mention them here :ssh: )

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 31, 2017

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

epic bird guy posted:

Over Christmas I went up to the hometown and got rid of my 2001 Saab 9-5 wagon and replaced it with a 2004 Saab 9-5 wagon. With 85,000 miles. Its also the Arc trim which means extra comfy and the same Mitsubishi TD04 turbo that the Aero gets but with a less aggressive tune. I love it and I might post pics soon but its absolutely covered in road salt.

It needs a new battery and new tires but it came with an additional set of 4 alloy wheels so I can use summers and winters much more easily.

Quoting myself for the new year because I like my car.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've been missing my MS3 again and have been looking at new hot hatches. Right now the Focus RS is the top contender, then I realized for the sameish money I could get a 2018 Mustang with a hundred more horsepower. Been going back and forth for ages now.

Gonna have to see if the local dealer won't be dicks about driving both once it warms up a bit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looks good enough to spill beer on.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

epic bird guy posted:

Quoting myself for the new year because I like my car.

If you like your car shouldn't you be concerned about the fact it's covered in road salt currently? Like isn't there a strategy to get that off ASAP when you get home or is this normal? Dunno, never seen it personally, but cold people please chime in. People here don't drive on the beach without washing everything off afterwards including underneath

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 31, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress yeah 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Larrymer posted:

Looks good enough to spill beer on.

I can't see poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Fo3 posted:

If you like your car shouldn't you be concerned about the fact it's covered in road salt currently. Like isn't there a strategy to get that off ASAP when you get home or is than normal?? Dunno, never seen it personally, but cold people please chime in. People here don't drive on the beach without washing everything off

It's a constant thing in the north with poo poo weather, and you can't wash your car every day normally. Just buy a white car. :v:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Buy a new white car every 4 years? :D

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Fo3 posted:

If you like your car shouldn't you be concerned about the fact it's covered in road salt currently. Like isn't there a strategy to get that off ASAP when you get home or is than normal?? Dunno, never seen it personally, but cold people please chime in. People here don't drive on the beach without washing everything off

Ideally, yes, you do want to rinse the road salt off your car ASAP. Rarely if ever is it done, however. Better off getting undercoating and then washing in the spring once the thaw's over and the roads aren't grimy as gently caress anymore. Most people don't even do that and you'll see cars covered in winter grime until it's rained enough times to rinse it off. I usually hit up the drive-thru carwash once a month through winter. Washing your car every time you go for a drive is annoying as gently caress.

E: There are of course, people who are religious about it and the coin-op car wash has a crowd of regulars through the winter.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 31, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Adiabatic posted:

Working on getting floors in the den and laundry room finished before my new years party tonight! We've been working on it for 2 weeks on weekends and weeknights and last night we got everything but the thresholds finished.

Those of you whove been to my house before will remember this room with nasty carpet and British Infantry Brown walls.

I like that floor.

Jesus, still in a deep freeze here, I think today is one for the record books. Woke up to -37C @5AM (couldn't sleep). Look at the weather and they are saying there is 50K+ wind gusts. That's scary dangerous windchill.

Going to a friends for new years tonight and I am not looking forward to getting in the truck @ 1-2AM for the drive home.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Balmy -15C here right now. Somehow despite being north of Toronto we're missing the worst of it for Ontario. About half an hour east of here it's -25.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Fo3 posted:

If you like your car shouldn't you be concerned about the fact it's covered in road salt currently? Like isn't there a strategy to get that off ASAP when you get home or is this normal? Dunno, never seen it personally, but cold people please chime in. People here don't drive on the beach without washing everything off afterwards including underneath

Its like -15°F so washing is currently impossible. You just have to live with it until the next 25° day or so. Extremely lucky people might work for a place with a winter slow season and a wash bay and an understanding employer, but I am not so fortunate.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

I just did flooring, new molding and closet shelving for my kid's room

feels good man

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Moving to my new home Jan 2nd. At least I am paying someone to suffer the arctic weather moving my poo poo in.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

I'm the pull up bar in the doorway

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I'm the outdoor squat rack

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Pretty sure I'm the extension cord through the cat/dog door.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/esh/6324690044.html

Beautifully Italian paperweight

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

loving incredible

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
2017 was alright

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

gimpsuitjones posted:

2017 was alt right

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

opengl128 posted:

I've been missing my MS3 again and have been looking at new hot hatches. Right now the Focus RS is the top contender, then I realized for the sameish money I could get a 2018 Mustang with a hundred more horsepower. Been going back and forth for ages now.

Gonna have to see if the local dealer won't be dicks about driving both once it warms up a bit.
Loved my 16 and no amount of hot hatchiness is worth not driving a 'Stang.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

gimpsuitjones posted:

2017 was alright

2017 was awesome in strict terms of everything I attempted and sought out to do. Dunno what the rest of the world is doing.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

2017 was good. Bought my dream car, we had our third kid, my oldest started kindergarten. Wife was diagnosed celiac which sucked, but more highs than lows. Looking forward to the spicy mistress that will be 2018 and the year long affair we will have. :feelsgood:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

2017 was awesome in strict terms of everything I attempted and sought out to do. Dunno what the rest of the world is doing.

:agreed:
Compared to the hard lessons learned in 2016? 2017 was loving awesome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

That's one hell of an improvement from when I crashed there for a night. I'll have to buy another car in the area so I have an excuse to visit.

After a couple counter offers we just signed on selling the old house, now as long as inspections and stuff go well we will close Feb 12th. Once that's sold brother gets three months then we list the wife's house.

Cold as hell (for TN) here sitting about +20F with it getting to single digits in the next couple days. Coldest I remember since moving here in 2009 is +12 so this is weird. Heat pump is working it's rear end off keeping the house warmish.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

The guy who posted that ended up getting contacted by a Maserati tech who told him to drive the poo poo out of it slam it in and out of gear. Turned out the clutch hadn't been seated properly or something and needed some heavy footwork to knock into place.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

in 2017 my car exploded, i had a mental breakdown, almost flunked out of school twice, and utterly failed my desire to overcome depression and start working out again

but

at the end of it all I'm still in school and almost finished*, my niece is still loving adorable, my sister kicked cancer's rear end, and I'm doing social things and making friends and things are kinda okay.

Get ye hosed, 2017; bring on the new year.

*oh my loving god though I'm almost done, the anxiety is going to give me a heart attack. what the gently caress do i do after that.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fermented Tinal posted:

The guy who posted that ended up getting contacted by a Maserati tech who told him to drive the poo poo out of it slam it in and out of gear. Turned out the clutch hadn't been seated properly or something and needed some heavy footwork to knock into place.

Italian (clutch) Tuneup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Enourmo posted:

*oh my loving god though I'm almost done, the anxiety is going to give me a heart attack. what the gently caress do i do after that.
Generally whatever you went back to school for in the first place.

• Locked thread