Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

soupcan58 posted:

I completely forgot that was a thing until you brought that up. I can almost guarantee there's a copy of that somewhere at my parents, considering they were a little controlling on what I could and couldn't read/watch. The "Christian vs. secular media" deal is why I'm still catching up on music and books from the 90's that are widely considered great but I just missed.
I think it might have just been a borrow-a-book thing from our local church or something. It wasn't the only type of thing I read as a kiddo but it surely was among the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

showbiz_liz posted:

When you look at it in a removed way and pretend it's not 90% just about having a convenient excuse to be a shithead, it actually makes sense in the context of the rest of Christianity. It's not "in Jesus your sins are washed away unless you happen to be a real rear end in a top hat about it" after all.

it's really not even that interesting. There wasn't some cackling villain going "ACTUALLY JESUS SAYS THIS IS OK", it was just a bunch of wealthy and already respected scholars answering 'so uh, why is it you have so much when so many equally good men have so little, doesn't our book pretty clearly say you should at the bare minimum help them out of the gutter?' with 'hmmm...nah...I do more rituals and public displays than them, I'm good.'

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

sexpig by night posted:

I went to an protestant school as a kid and I literally was taught all other faiths were wrong because they required good deeds and Christians only require accepting Christ. I've never really been mr edgelord 'gently caress the religions' as a Jew myself but that was basically when I internally went 'alright so this is all bullshit and I'm just here because you're better than my local public school and should stop pretending this will enrich me culturally, cool.'

Wasabi the J posted:

Holy poo poo this was like, one of two cartoons my grandma let me watch when I was over at her place.

I had more viewings of McGee and Me and Adventures in Odyssey shoved in my face as a Christian kid living on a compound in Saudi Arabia during the early 90's than I can remember, but throughout my entire middle school and high school education in private, Midwestern Epsicopalian and Jesuit schools, I never found a single other person who had the slightest idea what either show even was. That tipped me off pretty early on about the insular nature of Christian programming and how religion in general should be more about the positive message, not necessarily the intricacies of the practice.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Inkspot posted:

I had more viewings of McGee and Me and Adventures in Odyssey shoved in my face as a Christian kid living on a compound in Saudi Arabia during the early 90's than I can remember, but throughout my entire middle school and high school education in private, Midwestern Epsicopalian and Jesuit schools, I never found a single other person who had the slightest idea what either show even was. That tipped me off pretty early on about the insular nature of Christian programming and how religion in general should be more about the positive message, not necessarily the intricacies of the practice.

Do you also have strong memories of going to sunday school in the secret church at the American embassy in Riyadh?

Though my recollection of TV on the compounds is watching voltron on pirated satellite TV.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Hell yeah.

After we got satellite, it was all TMNT and 60's Batman reruns for me.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm really glad that I grew up in an Episcopal school, because they're chill as hell

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JT Jag posted:

I'm really glad that I grew up in an Episcopal school, because they're chill as hell

funny enough the school I went to was Episcopal, but I think they got some local Baptist to teach the religious studies class because yea our priest in the church attached was actually incredibly chill and let kids come talk to him and kept it on the dl and all unlike our snitch rear end guidance councilor. He was actually one of the first dudes I came out to and he was just all 'well, make good choices regardless and remember your body is a gift from god' which was basically his general "DON'T gently caress, TEENS" speech.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/948940080416264193

I just assumed the next arc would go along with the space ship art at the bottom. Intrigued to see what that archway means.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pretty sure the archway is Griffin's Persona-in-dying-West-Virginia-resort-town thing he's running with Monster of the Week

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Huh, I assumed there were two Bureau of Balance parts of that image and that was the gate/portal thing they sent the train through in Rockport. The rest of those are all fairly clear, detective, superhero, wild west and space. Maybe the gate represents like a dimension hopping setting or a mystery solving type thing.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I assumed the top one was just like, generic fantasy art. Like Didn't realise that one specifically represented one of the arcs.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tears In A Vial posted:

I assumed the top one was just like, generic fantasy art. Like Didn't realise that one specifically represented one of the arcs.

all of the other ones line up with what they said they were doing so it'd be weird if Griffin's MOTW game was the only one not on there

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m psyched for this one, as someone who spent my childhood going to West Virginia ski and recreational resorts.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Clint is just playing Grunkle Stan.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah this one is grabbing me a lot, I was super psyched about the superhero one but didn't end up listening beyond the character creation stuff, something about it just didn't end up grabbing me and I didn't get round to listening to the first part. Love the setting and each of their characters so far, it coming out weekly will also let me keep up a lot better.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clint is role playing as Grunkle Stan.

The best part is that he has no idea who Grunkle Stan is, it's just that when placed in a town that's kind of like Gravity Falls he just naturally chose to become that kind of character.

Clint was born to Grunkle.

Edit: gently caress BEATEN

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
TAZ has done a lot of good poo poo, but revealing that Clint is a sweet adorable weirdo is probably my favorite.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I love the idea of Duck as like if Buffy moved to Sunnydale and halfway through Giles' "Into each generation a slayer is born, one girl in-" just cutting him off with a huge nope, gently caress that and moving to Canada or something to work in a diner.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Then winding up as a supporting character on Smallville or something anyway.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/Nivosphere/status/949050805642022912

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

https://twitter.com/DocCurm/status/949097373137080322

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

sexpig by night posted:

TAZ has done a lot of good poo poo, but revealing that Clint is a sweet adorable weirdo is probably my favorite.

The MBMBAM donor episode they did with him is still my favorite episode of any podcast and I'm so glad TAZ came alon to share their weird dad with everyone.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The boys acting like Brian Blessed is some nobody was maddening

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If it were anyone but Clint, I would not believe it.

If you've never seen Gravity Falls, this is the only part you need to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyu0n1pTfhg

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

but also see the rest of it because it's good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Berzerker posted:

but also see the rest of it because it's good.

Like 90% of it is fun and good but that last 10% is entirely mable and her being the worst, unchanging character.

Poopy Palpy posted:

The MBMBAM donor episode they did with him is still my favorite episode of any podcast and I'm so glad TAZ came alon to share their weird dad with everyone.

He is my favorite part of TAZ and I honestly would probably stop listening if he ever left for some reason.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
It would be a shame if we never got more Dad Maps.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Even the loving cars

Stanleymobile (1965 El Diablo)

Ned's car (1958 Lincoln Continental Mark III)

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
monster of the week sounds fun as hell to play, and I'm already impatient for this mini-arc to start for real. once a week? buddy, put it up once a drat day. once an hour!

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Nuebot posted:

Like 90% of it is fun and good but that last 10% is entirely mable and her being the worst, unchanging character.

No way, Mabel fuckin rules

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

monster of the week sounds fun as hell to play, and I'm already impatient for this mini-arc to start for real. once a week? buddy, put it up once a drat day. once an hour!

its a pretty fuckin good PBTA hack

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Is this setup episode worth listening to? I started it but they were talking about the mechanics of the game system for a long time, which I'm not super interested in.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Gluten Freeman posted:

Is this setup episode worth listening to? I started it but they were talking about the mechanics of the game system for a long time, which I'm not super interested in.

Eh, the character outlines are good, especially Clint's, but they're pretty barebones and there's nothing you won't get next week when they start.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Not Operator posted:

Eh, the character outlines are good, especially Clint's, but they're pretty barebones and there's nothing you won't get next week when they start.

as psyched as i am for it, it does feel like it comes and goes in a way that i would've just preferred them doing a ten minute intro and then starting an actual episode. griffin shushing them on details sort of made an entire episode devoted to it unnecessary.

also hoping griffin wrecks Travis's dumb pet immediately.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

We need something to show the monster's threat, so....

Griffin should have also ended the episode with the intro to the place/monster, like a cold open.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

How dare you speak ill of the good doctor

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

"Monster of the Week a game similar to at series like" Griffin began, and then finished with "Buffy or Supernatural". I was really hoping that sentence was going to end "Power Rangers"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the whole "don't establish anything about your characters" thing is weird because it puts forth that there's any inherent value in making it up as you go around vs having an idea going in

both have good points and bad points but I don't think stuff like the era of Stupid Taako and Clint taking forty episodes to establish any kind of character for Merle are beats we need to repeat again and again every arc

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

What happened to you? How has your heart become so cold that it cannot love darling Dr. Bunicula?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

No idea if Griffin watched it, but it's really funny to me that one of the Scooby Doo shows (itself one of the architypical MotW shows) was set in a tiny town that had fallen on hard times and resorted to cryptid tourism to attract fresh visitors.

(You all hate the pet now, but just wait until Griffin gives it the ability to talk somehow, and gives it an entertaining personality)