Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

Are you some sort of idiot? Everyone knows what it is. It's hydraulic fluid.

I thought it was coolant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Isn't a really direct example that Vulcans were part of the Federation, like, right away, but no one knew poo poo about the Pon Farr until Spock was like "fyi this is thing. I mention this because I have to go fight a guy to the death, brb".

Then later treks make it increasingly more ridiculous, including when someone transfers their Pon Farr to someone else via a mind meld.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Snak posted:

Isn't a really direct example that Vulcans were part of the Federation, like, right away, but no one knew poo poo about the Pon Farr until Spock was like "fyi this is thing. I mention this because I have to go fight a guy to the death, brb".

Then later treks make it increasingly more ridiculous, including when someone transfers their Pon Farr to someone else via a mind meld.

Didn't they sensitively and delicately tackle this issue in Enterprise with T'Pol and Tucker and also that one renegade Vulcan that mind-raped T'Pol with her first mind meld.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

Didn't they sensitively and delicately tackle this issue in Enterprise with T'Pol and Tucker and also that one renegade Vulcan that mind-raped T'Pol with her first mind meld.

Trek writers have used the pon far once as a metaphor for toxic masculine sex drive, and at least twice to have female characters running around the ship begging for someone to gently caress them.

It's really bad.

Especially since the Pon Farr doesn't normally happen to female Vulcans, so they always have to come up with ways to make it happen anyway.

Star Trek is a very classy and intellectual show.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also there was a strong implication in one episode of TOS that the Vulcans were actually conquered by humans, and a couple times they referred to the Federation as the "Earth Federation." What exactly the Federation was was even looser in TOS than in later Treks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pakled posted:

Also there was a strong implication in one episode of TOS that the Vulcans were actually conquered by humans

It was one offhand comment by McCoy who's rarely serious when he's needling Spock. I don't know why anyone points to that as a serious indication of the geopolitical landscape of the federation.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

They definitely required a unified world government. I don't think it had to be democratic per se.

In one of the DS9 episodes, when a poet comes back after being lost in the wormhole, the Bajorans think he's the real emissary, and he brings back the old Bajoran caste system. Sisko warns Kira, "You know, this is going to seriously screw up Bajor'so application to the Federation, because member world's have to be democratic and can't have legalized discrimination."

ETA: I checked. He's talking to the false emissary, and says:

"SISKO: You realize that caste-based discrimination goes against the Federation charter. If Bajor returns to the D'jarra system (their caste system), I have no doubt that its petition to join the Federation will be rejected. "

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 4, 2018

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

There Bias Two posted:

Or any anthropologist that happened to be studying them has been too busy boning to bother writing anything down.

While . . . disruptive, it always seems like the people involved think it is consensual.

So you have a bunch of people enthusiastically trying to gently caress people who think it is rude to refuse intercourse.

Assuming 21st century sexual norms (scifi is always about the present) they are wildly sexy hookups that you kinda regret later so you don't talk about it. Especially if it involved infidelity.

It's easy to see how that would fly under the radar.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

bull3964 posted:

It was one offhand comment by McCoy who's rarely serious when he's needling Spock. I don't know why anyone points to that as a serious indication of the geopolitical landscape of the federation.

Same reason that Leia's quip to Tarkin when she gets taken to the Death Star ("I thought I smelled your stench") got turned into Tarkin's Disease (chronic BO) in the Star Wars EU. Nerds can't detect sarcasm.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, if I may play devil's idiot for a moment; Tarkin never actually had to stank, it was an insult... But McCoy's comment loses its teeth entirely if it's baseless.

vvv about Vulcan having had been conquered vvv

Edit: "In TOS: "The Conscience of the King", Spock declines to have a drink with McCoy by saying that his people were "spared the dubious benefits of alcohol"; McCoy scorns Spock's refusal by stating that he now knows why Vulcan was conquered. This would seem to contradict the above. A possible solution could be that he is referring to the Romulan infiltration in 2154, which could be considered to be a conquest."

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 4, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What's the comment?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Another possible solution is that early Star Trek didn't worry too much about canon, continuity, or a detailed timeline, and so long as scripts met certain thematic guidelines, writers were free to throw in snippets of future history as throwaway lines.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I mean, space is three dimensions. You can just go up and over the fourth wall.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

Starfleet is not the same as the United Federation of Planets. Nog joined Starfleet but the Ferengi Alliance is not a member of the Federation. Just like Ro Laren joined Starfleet but Bajor is not a Federation world.

Not when Ro joined, no.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Not when Ro joined, no.

Not at any point during any Star Trek show or movie. At one point during DS9, Bajor almost joined, but eventually chose not to in order to remain neutral in the Dominion War - thus the occupation of DS9 in early season 6. Bajor became a Federation Member at some point during the novels set after TNG/DS9 but those aren't canon.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Vulcan was conquered through culture. The regular joes probably wear jeans and sip Cokes while they watch Shakespeare.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Vulcan was conquered through culture. The regular joes probably wear jeans and sip Cokes while they watch Shakespeare.

"Drinking this much sugary water is illogical...but it tastes so good." says Joe Vulcan as he cracks open his next Coke.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The punchline to that is when you compare TNG humans to modern humans or even TOS humans it seems more likely that Vulcan culturally conquered Earth

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

"Drinking this much sugary water is illogical...but it tastes so good." says Joe Vulcan as he cracks open his next Coke.

your compulsion for this flavored sugar water is illogical... when compared to the alternative

*cracks a pepsi*

thus begins the vulcan culture wars

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Vulcans are left Twix bitches

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

your compulsion for this flavored sugar water is illogical... when compared to the alternative

*cracks a pepsi*

thus begins the vulcan culture wars

Hoo boy, don't even get them started on Great Taste vs Less Filling.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

WampaLord posted:

Hoo boy, don't even get them started on Great Taste vs Less Filling.

At least they discovered how many licks it takes to get the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It is my choice, and it's the logical choice of a new cultural generation.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Looks like someone's been playing GalCiv.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'd like to teach the quadrant to sing, in perfect harmony

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Brawnfire posted:

I'd like to teach the quadrant to sing, in perfect harmony

This is the end-game for IDIC.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

This is probably of no use because of the way it was made, but I was playing around with a VR sculpting program and decided to try my hand at making the orville. I traced the cross section images so at least that should all be in the correct proportions, but the curves... my god the curves on this god drat ship were a nightmare trying to sculpt. It was like trying to make a model of an M.C. Escher drawing, like it didn't seem bad at first glance but trying to go into details was really a nightmare at points.

I might go back at some point and try to clean it up, smooth it out and everything, but it was more of a doodle than some big project. Still, if anyone does want a lumpy model of the orville, you can download it:
https://sketchfab.com/models/41de2cbd1ae14343af53ca24f667fac2

I just gotta say that with a little tweaking... I present the SAS GOONVILLE and the SAS GUPPIE! Too much fun. Vroom vroom pew pew pew!

Thanks Tom! :D Hey the lumps and bumps look like details when you print it out like I did.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ramen Pride! posted:

I just gotta say that with a little tweaking... I present the SAS GOONVILLE and the SAS GUPPIE! Too much fun. Vroom vroom pew pew pew!

Thanks Tom! :D Hey the lumps and bumps look like details when you print it out like I did.

Hahaha, i'm amazed to see that worked at all.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WampaLord posted:

\/

Su'gaar, son of T'wixx

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Astroman posted:

Su'gaar, son of T'wixx
:vince:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Astroman posted:

\/

Su'gaar, son of T'wixx

I didn't know vegan aliens could be doughy. Does he giggle when you press a finger into his belly?

P'opin Frish

San'Ta Klass

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Astroman posted:

\/

Su'gaar, son of T'wixx

:five:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tarlibone posted:

I didn't know vegan aliens could be doughy.

Ain't nothin' animal about sugar. Vegan cake all day long.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Ain't nothin' animal about sugar. Vegan cake all day long.

This response is downright... logical.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

To be fair, that guy was a part of that emotional vulcan cult. Maybe he started eating meat like the leader does.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

EvilTaytoMan posted:

To be fair, that guy was a part of that emotional vulcan cult. Maybe he started eating meat like the leader does.

Or maybe he was eating away his sadness. I hear that Vulcans, even the ostensibly non-emotional ones, actually have super-intense emotions. So when this guy got sad because his Vulcan lady friend started hanging out with his best friend a lot after work, he turned to the Vulcan equivalent of ice cream.

"I eat because I'm unhappy... (sob)... and I'm unhappy because I eat."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

tarlibone posted:

I didn't know vegan aliens could be doughy. Does he giggle when you press a finger into his belly?

P'opin Frish

San'Ta Klass

Some of the chubbiest people I know are vegan. Gassy too.
Also these guys whole thing was that they were rebellious vulcans who loved to laugh and eat and have a good time and maybe rape a little.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Or maybe he was eating away his sadness. I hear that Vulcans, even the ostensibly non-emotional ones, actually have super-intense emotions. So when this guy got sad because his Vulcan lady friend started hanging out with his best friend a lot after work, he turned to the Vulcan equivalent of ice cream.

"I eat because I'm unhappy... (sob)... and I'm unhappy because I eat."

From what I can remember of the episode he had daddy issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.avclub.com/seth-macfarlane-says-the-orvilles-second-season-will-be-1821792442

Sounds like 2nd season they are going to aim for letting the humor come more naturally rather then try to cram a joke in every page.

This is good. I won't expect the characters to change really, it's still going to be a less stuffy TNG, but a lot of the more cringe worthy stuff should be toned down or gone.