Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
god I hate last season’s big retcon so loving much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I’m so glad they are pretending that poo poo last season was a dream lol.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Fox has a sick Mustang

Virgil Thatcher
Mar 3, 2008
Starring Mitch Pileggi as former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Two characters who are allies talking in circles around things they both know about and agree on is getting real drat old. If you don't want us to know what they know, don't show the drat conversation.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

:stare:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That...but...I don't especially care about Mulder & Scully's kid and that made me mad.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

CARTERRRRR :argh:

(and William B. Davis too)

I can't really put it into words but wtf

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
That didn't make me optimistic about this season.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
after getting through seasons 7-9 recently I can state this is the worst episode ever made

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Jesus let’s hope the MOTW episodes are better because they’re so loving far off track with the mytharc. They pretty much retconned the finale from last season and then have just made everything gross as hell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just read a quick review.

Did Carter really go batshit with William and retcon him so that Smokey is his father?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

At this point, I'm not really sure what's grosser. CSM drugging and raping Sculley or Carter actively playing with the audience on whether that happened. I feel like I need to take a shower.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

I just read a quick review.

Did Carter really go batshit with William and retcon him so that Smokey is his father?

Yep, that happened. Which means that Scully got alien science date raped by CSM, is banging his son AND gave birth to his (Mulder's) half-alien half-brother. :banjo:

I can only assume this is some kind of Dadaist performance art now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm just reading this thread and lmao. When's the morgan brothers' episodes?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

Yep, that happened. Which means that Scully got alien science date raped by CSM, is banging his son AND gave birth to his (Mulder's) half-alien half-brother. :banjo:

I can only assume this is some kind of Dadaist performance art now.

I think I understand why Gillian Anderson basically went:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The crazy thing to me is that when I first watched show when it aired in the 90s, I lived for the mytharc episodes in seasons 1-3. They are still some of my favorites of the series but holy poo poo, boy did Carter run it into the ground.

Can Disney buy the X-Files from Carter? He's clearly gone full George Lucas.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m watching the tail end of it and it looks like cheap garbage. So sad.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

The fourth episode is called "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" so that's gotta be the Darin episode. Airs after the Superbowl probably

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why can’t they just wrap this plot up already gently caress sake. It’s been going on for like...20 + Years. End game hosed. END GAME.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Why can’t they just wrap this plot up already gently caress sake. It’s been going on for like...20 + Years. End game hosed. END GAME.

Chris Carter can't stop himself.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Holy poo poo, that was unbelievably bad.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I guess I'm in the minority because I loved it. The pacing was fast, Mulder driving a "sports" car and slashing people's throats, and I like the plot twist because it makes sense in the whole mytharc.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I didn't think it was all that bad, just incredibly breakneck paced. The entire episode felt like it was supposed to be a reasonably paced 90 minute episode that got compressed into a plot point montage.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

UnknownMercenary posted:

Season 7's finale works as a series finale tbh.

I'm pretty sure it was written as a potential series finale too.

When I watch through I usually stop mid season 6 when The Syndicate dies. That feels like a decent end point for me, and the Myth-Arc starts being lovely after that anyways.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

ew interview with Carter, spoilers for this episode

um :catstare:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The thing I always wonder about episodes that end with everything being a dream is what about the scenes Scully wasn’t there for? Shows that do the trope carefully find a way around that, but this episode was super lazy about it.

I miss Joel McHale.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

God, what the gently caress. I don't even know whether the actual episode was good or bad because I was pissed off in the first 2 minutes when they did the 'it was all a dream' poo poo.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

The entire episode suffered from terrible dialogue and editing but the scene with Scully and Spender was laughably bad. This was honestly--no exaggeration--one of the most amateurish, awful things I've ever seen on television. What the hell has happened to Chris Carter.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's no wonder Scully wants out honestly, she's probably just doing it for the fans at this point. Wasn't she the one that was the most gung-ho about bringing the x-files back 3-4 years ago?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
That was one of the most terrible things I've ever seen. But I've heard the rest of the season is pretty good so glad the worst is over.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
That sucked, but I expected it. There were a couple good things in it, which puts it above season 10's finale and about on par with season 10's premiere.

Luckily we're getting a bunch of monster-of-the-week episodes, and if other writers and directors deal with Carter's mytharc subplot it might end up better.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I missed this episode, poo poo, didn't even know they were doing this thing. Anyone have an idea when they'll rerun it?

Although gently caress me, reading some of those spoiler tags makes me glad I missed it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I'm just...amazed, I guess?...at what a pile of poo poo that was. David Ducovny looks like a burlap sack filled with mashed potatoes and whiskey and is very out of place doing action shots. During the car chase scene it seemed more like he was headed to a prostate check rather than fleeing from an unknown assailant. I still don't know what the gently caress all that was about except that TSM raped Scully I guess and something about the moon landing being faked and what is this I don't even understand what is happening. I've watched soap operas in foreign languages and come away with more of a handle on the plot than whatever that was supposed to be.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I didn't hate it. The frenetic pace was probably the biggest detriment. I feel like X-Files is incongruous with "modern" action-based filming style. Without all the car chases and stuff, at a slower pace, this could have easily been a Season 6-7 era episode, what with the dueling conspirators, alien breeding mumbo jumbo, and such. Now, whether that's your cuppa or not is a different story, but overall this was much more X-Filesey than last season (aside from the brilliant Were-Man, which is one of the show's best ever).

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I did find myself comparing whose nose had grown more comically bulbous, Duchovney or Pileggi's.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
The awful narration. I feel as though they could've shown the information instead of just blandly stating it while Mulder stares ahead. Oh, Mulder's worried about Scully? Well how about he show that with his loving body.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Oh yeah, Carter did an AMA yesterday

Redditor: how did you came up with Mulder and Scully's personalities? posted:

I wanted Mulder to be religious in his unreligiousness and Scully to be uncertain in her certainties. I also wanted Mulder to be very particular about the furniture in his office knowing that some people - I'm not saying women - like to rearrange it when you're not looking.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

howe_sam posted:

Get hosed for saying the moon landing was faked Carter.
In this alternate reality where everything is either magic or aliens? Even if there was a real moon landing in the X-Files universe, it would probably also have been faked to cover up all the aliens they saw while they were up there.

sticklefifer posted:

I didn't think it was all that bad, just incredibly breakneck paced. The entire episode felt like it was supposed to be a reasonably paced 90 minute episode that got compressed into a plot point montage.
What plot though? Nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tiggum posted:

What plot though? Nothing happened.

Carter's mytharc episodes in a nutshell.

• Locked thread