Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Billzasilver posted:

Being the sloppiest is a definite con

The pros outweigh it by far. And doesn’t yoda lay out everything 8 has to say?

are you having a stroke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Squashing Machine posted:

Confirmed: Star Wars 8 is for people who don't like Star Wars

They were my favorite movies as a kid and I saw all the of the OT in theaters (though I only remember ROTJ clearly as I was 2 when ANH came out) and I loved TLJ but sure man

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i appreciate that the last jedi is the most anime of the star wars films. that was a good thing

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

precision posted:

I bet like fully half the Rebels are former Stormtroopers or other True Believers, but in the vast majority of cases they defect and know to keep quiet about being former soldiers of the enemy

Finn's detailed knowledge of First Order materiel and tactics is framed as a unique advantage he possesses.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Yaws posted:

are you having a stroke?

...are you?

Yoda: the old books are boring as poo poo. I missed having you around, luke. Everybody fails and you should teach her how to overcome that failure. Rey is way too smart for those lovely books anyways.

And then Luke dies in that Jedi way that lets him be a mentoring ghost next movie

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

Finn's detailed knowledge of First Order materiel and tactics is framed as a unique advantage he possesses.

He's the only First Order defector we see. Even former Imperials might not know anything useful about First Order hardware, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anyway, I hope that Episode IX has Hayden Christiansen, Liam Neeson, and Ewan MacGregor show up as ghosts.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

jivjov posted:

He's the only First Order defector we see. Even former Imperials might not know anything useful about First Order hardware, etc.

More than that, he has weird janitor knowledge

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bongo Bill posted:

I mean maybe everyone figures it out in boot camp or earlier and what's rare about Finn is that he defected well after the brain washing

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bongo Bill posted:

Anyway, I hope that Episode IX has Hayden Christiansen, Liam Neeson, and Ewan MacGregor show up as ghosts.

I hope Luke doesn't because these dudes chasing immortality so they can keep meddling is hosed up.

Practice what you preached and learn to let go.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

precision posted:

I mean maybe everyone figures it out in boot camp or earlier and what's rare about Finn is that he defected well after the brain washing

First Order stormtroopers are recruited as infants, like Jedi. Finn has something in common with Count Dooku.

sassassin posted:

I hope Luke doesn't because these dudes chasing immortality so they can keep meddling is hosed up.

It seems that learning to let go is what got them immortality in the first place.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

It seems that learning to let go is what got them immortality in the first place.

The universe’s funniest joke

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yaws posted:

I wish Disney would have accepted Lucas' plot outline for these sequels.

at least tell us what they were. make 'em a comic book or something

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

sassassin posted:

It's why I'm a little iffy about Yoda showing up in this one - I mean, I liked it at the time, but it seems to undermine itself by bringing him back still being the wise old mentor when everything else in the movie is about how the Jedi he was leading were completely hosed up and needs to be abandoned.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Serf posted:

at least tell us what they were. make 'em a comic book or something

It almost certainly would've been better than what we got

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Angry Salami posted:

It's why I'm a little iffy about Yoda showing up in this one - I mean, I liked it at the time, but it seems to undermine itself by bringing him back still being the wise old mentor when everything else in the movie is about how the Jedi he was leading were completely hosed up and needs to be abandoned.

Not if he shows up to immediately poo poo talk the old Jedi books and light them on fire

It was more like “my friend luke is sad and needs help”

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

No, your initial feelings are correct. Luke has zero reason to take lessons from Yoda at this point in his life.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Yaws posted:

No, your initial feelings are correct. Luke has zero reason to take lessons from Yoda at this point in his life.

I think an Old Man archetype who knows absolutely everything and learns nothing throughout the movie would be incredibly boring to watch and any audience would see right through it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Billzasilver posted:

Not if he shows up to immediately poo poo talk the old Jedi books and light them on fire

lol

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Once again, someone tries to prove how good TLJ is but reveals they didn't really watch the movie and instead filled it with headcanons. RIP.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

jivjov posted:

He bounces between the two poles. The film presents his as "good" and "redeemed" at the end of ROTJ, despite all the poo poo he had done prior.

So the character that's goes between black and white is only one of those and not in some grey area? What.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

nvm

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Milky Moor posted:

Once again, someone tries to prove how good TLJ is but reveals they didn't really watch the movie and instead filled it with headcanons. RIP.

What on earth are you talking about

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Billzasilver posted:

What on earth are you talking about

The books weren't burned. Yoda did not burn the books. In fact, he set fire to the tree specifically because they were not there. Every word in your sentence... was wrong.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Milky Moor posted:

The books weren't burned. Yoda did not burn the books. In fact, he set fire to the tree specifically because they were not there. Every word in your sentence... was wrong.

Nah I noticed that

Luke thinks the books were burned and that’s what really matters

The books were saved at the end just for idiot Finn. Rey is too good for them.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

He burns the temple, not the scripture. He burns a physical place that symbolizes an institution, not a set of ideas. Rey has the texts, but the interpretation and application are up to her. This is what Yoda's getting at, that these ideas survive beyond the Jedi the same way people read Lenin even though the Soviet Union is gone.

As well, he lets Luke believe the texts are destroyed because what Luke needs is to move past his attachment to the Jedi as an institution and stop being a hermit tending to a dead temple as opposed to engaging with his life as a person, reconnecting with his sister, and all that, and part of that is letting go of his role as a teacher.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I watched the movie like 1 hour ago dude

He says Rey already knows everything in the texts and probable knows more. He says luke never even bothered to read most of them anyways

If the texts survive, it’s only to train a new Jedi temple full of idiots like Finn

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
This thread is mentally handicapped

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

UmOk posted:

This thread is mentally handicapped

I'm tired but that's taking it a bit far.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I Before E posted:

I'm tired but that's taking it a bit far.

It’s cool if that’s the impression that stuck with you then it happened for a reason. I suspect it was the toxic fandom but maybe the movie had a flaw too.

Maybe a lot of people forgot how yoda speech works.

New thing, I loved the stupid flashback to luke and kylo fighting. Every time it happens, you just go 30 seconds further back and it turns out the other person is the justified one.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Billzasilver posted:

He says Rey already knows everything in the texts and probable knows more

He says "nothing there is, in that tree, that Rey does not already possess". He's literally saying she took the books.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Bleck posted:

He says "nothing there is, in that tree, that Rey does not already possess". He's literally saying she took the books.

:aaa: Ok i concede this point somewhat

However Luke still believes things the same way I do. He believes Rey is ready to surpass the Jedi teachings.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yoda telling Luke "You must learn from your mistakes" was a little annoying. I'm like "You motherfucker he already learned from his mistakes. He learned from and corrected YOUR fuckin mistakes"[

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 4, 2018

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yoda telling Luke "You must learn from your mistakes" was a little annoying. I'm like "You motherfucker he already learned from his mistakes. He learned from and corrected YOUR fuckin mistakes"

I think Yoda must think that training and sending Luke on a mission to kill Vader corrected their mistake of creating Vader

I'm uncertain Yoda feels contrite about loving up so badly; Obi-Wan does though, I think

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Bleck posted:

This is something I found interesting about the film - some of the dialogue uses subtle (and not so subtle) tricks.

For example, plenty of people talk about Kylo lying about Rey's parents. However, she is the one who initially says her parents were nobodies, not Ren. He was insisting she say it, maybe for that exact reason?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Goreld posted:

This is something I found interesting about the film - some of the dialogue uses subtle (and not so subtle) tricks.

For example, plenty of people talk about Kylo lying about Rey's parents. However, she is the one who initially says her parents were nobodies, not Ren. He was insisting she say it, maybe for that exact reason?

He uses this rhetorical tic a few times. It seems very important to Kylo that people tell him their truths, even when he knows the answers

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yoda telling Luke "You must learn from your mistakes" was a little annoying. I'm like "You motherfucker he already learned from his mistakes. He learned from and corrected YOUR fuckin mistakes"

Yeah, it really doesn't work the more I think about it.

Like, the first time Luke meets Yoda, he's already seeing through Yoda's bullshit. In ESB, Luke already values rescuing his friends over Yoda's instruction, and because of that he learns the truth about Vader, rather than the half-truths and deceptions of the Jedi. And when he returns in RotJ and asks Yoda outright, Yoda's first instinct is still to be evasive.

Yoda's the last character who should be motivating Luke to turn his back on the stagnant past and return to the fight, except maybe by serving as a cautionary example.

I feel a lot of the problems of the film is that it's engaging with a pop-culture shallow reading of the original films, so it writes Yoda as the genuine infallible master people assume he is rather than looking at how he actually acted, and it ignores the subtleties of the older films so it can pretend its observations are somehow retaliatory. Like, the old Jedi being useless assholes is pretty much text in five out of the first six episodes!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, it really doesn't work the more I think about it.

Like, the first time Luke meets Yoda, he's already seeing through Yoda's bullshit. In ESB, Luke already values rescuing his friends over Yoda's instruction, and because of that he learns the truth about Vader, rather than the half-truths and deceptions of the Jedi. And when he returns in RotJ and asks Yoda outright, Yoda's first instinct is still to be evasive.

Yoda's the last character who should be motivating Luke to turn his back on the stagnant past and return to the fight, except maybe by serving as a cautionary example.

I feel a lot of the problems of the film is that it's engaging with a pop-culture shallow reading of the original films, so it writes Yoda as the genuine infallible master people assume he is rather than looking at how he actually acted, and it ignores the subtleties of the older films so it can pretend its observations are somehow retaliatory. Like, the old Jedi being useless assholes is pretty much text in five out of the first six episodes!

"rescuing" his friends was the wrong move though (luke rescued nobody and nearly got himself killed) yeah he learns from his mistake and that's good but he didn't need to make that mistake in the first place.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Elfgames posted:

"rescuing" his friends was the wrong move though (luke rescued nobody and nearly got himself killed) yeah he learns from his mistake and that's good but he didn't need to make that mistake in the first place.

If he hadn't gone to Bespin, he'd never have learned Vader was his father, and would have carried on ignorantly following Obi-Wan and Yoda's plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yoda telling Luke "You must learn from your mistakes" was a little annoying. I'm like "You motherfucker he already learned from his mistakes. He learned from and corrected YOUR fuckin mistakes"[

There are always more mistakes to correct