Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

This late in the game and at the first of the year? I'd be surprised if the waiting to fire him until now wasn't due to a cheaper buyout.

Wouldn't sexual harassment be considered "with cause"?

page 182 snypa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its probably something that is going to make Arizona look bad so they'd rather just pay the buyout

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .
Here's hoping to a ridiculous bidding war between the Arizona schools over Herm that ends with him getting an extension before he even coaches a game. :laugh: They'd be stupid to not hire Sumlin or Graham though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its probably something that is going to make Arizona look bad so they'd rather just pay the buyout

Yeah sounds like there's a good chance there is cause but they don't think it's worth it to get in a big court fight over it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

Yeah sounds like there's a good chance there is cause but they don't think it's worth it to get in a big court fight over it.

Also possible that said "cause" would be something they'd be complicit in for letting it happen under their roof. Probably want to let sleeping dogs lie.

Also "triangle of secrecy" :lol: I'm in love

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It probably wasn't rhythmic slapping bad but a culture of 'get hosed Title IX' probably leaves them open to about a billion lawsuits

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Korranus posted:

page 182 snypa

"innocent until proven guilty"

See also: Winston.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Korranus posted:

page 182 snypa

It also seems like their internal investigation was genuinely unable to substantiate the claims against him. Sure, you can roll your eyes at that, but if they intentionally half-assed the investigation, why fire him anyway and say "yeah, we don't have much evidence about this specific claim but we know bad stuff was going on"?

Doesn't mean the inciting claim wasn't true, but if they're going to fire him with cause the burden of proof is going to be on them.

As it is, they say "yeah, we can't really prove anything specific (nothing that doesn't also incriminate us, anyway), but we can tell this is heading in a bad direction so we're going to nip this in the bud and also for the record, Rodriguez is not a great guy. So anybody else who's interested, you've been warned." All in all, they could have handled it a lot worse than they did.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 3, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if you fire a coach for cause, you've got to be pretty iron-clad in that cause, and it would vary from case to case based on the coach's contract. It likely specifies criminal conviction as cause, as opposed to criminal investigation, or something along those lines.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/SDS/status/948573878175051776

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

tk posted:

I’ll never understand how people hear “could not be substantiated” as “found me innocent of any wrongdoing”.

To be fair it doesn't mean you're guilty either but you're right it works both ways

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Brewster is a solid hire. He was killer in that same position at Texas.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sumlin would be a great hire for them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

Sumlin would be a great hire for them.

NOT SO FAST

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/948413518205747200

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Obviously Arizona is a harder place to recruit to but aside from last year Butch's Tennessee tenure would look pretty good at Arizona and they have a pretty good opportunity with ASU going completely insane. And really there isn't THAT big a gap between what Butch and Sumlin did in the SEC, aside from the first year when Sumlin had an all time great QB and stacked offensive line that he didn't recruit and Kliff calling plays

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

MourningView posted:

They should give them all a full release from the LOI then

And winning lottery tickets should grow on my orchid plant instead of flowers. However,

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This is where mainly focusing on one conference gets me, I don't know what Sumlin is good or bad at, just that people here are mixed on him.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rick posted:

This is where mainly focusing on one conference gets me, I don't know what Sumlin is good or bad at, just that people here are mixed on him.

I haven't followed his career super close, but as a fan of a team that played aTm every year I'll give my quick opinion.

I think he's a good recruiter, and he seemed to bring in an elite QB every cycle. Also seemed to do well recruiting and evaluating offense in general. Always had good wide receivers and running backs. I don't know how much that had to do with Texas being in a down period and aTm taking advantage though.

He seemed really good at preparing his teams in the offseason and generally started the season very strong. I was always worried when we played aTm in the first half of the season. He was also consistently unable win big games toward the end of the season, and that's ultimately what lost him the job at aTm.

My biggest issue with him as a coach was it always seemed like he needed to get a 5 star QB every year, because someone was always transferring after looking amazing for half a season the year before. I don't know what the issue was there, but something must be going on to lose as many good QB's as they did under Sumlin.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

regulargonzalez posted:

And winning lottery tickets should grow on my orchid plant instead of flowers. However,

I know it won't actually happen, dummy, that's why I called them out on the timing. I understand that LOIs are wildly unfair to the players, that doesn't mean I have to think it's a good thing

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
https://twitter.com/BrentZwerneman/status/948624704973271040

(A&M beat reporter for the Houston Chronicle)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NealMcCready/status/948597838556160000

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

How's the grass out there in AZ?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Duckaerobics posted:

I haven't followed his career super close, but as a fan of a team that played aTm every year I'll give my quick opinion.

I think he's a good recruiter, and he seemed to bring in an elite QB every cycle. Also seemed to do well recruiting and evaluating offense in general. Always had good wide receivers and running backs. I don't know how much that had to do with Texas being in a down period and aTm taking advantage though.

He seemed really good at preparing his teams in the offseason and generally started the season very strong. I was always worried when we played aTm in the first half of the season. He was also consistently unable win big games toward the end of the season, and that's ultimately what lost him the job at aTm.

My biggest issue with him as a coach was it always seemed like he needed to get a 5 star QB every year, because someone was always transferring after looking amazing for half a season the year before. I don't know what the issue was there, but something must be going on to lose as many good QB's as they did under Sumlin.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Well luckily Arizona doesn't really have very many big games to lose, lol.

Les Miles and Butch kind of seem in the same mold.

Re: Recruits, there was some thought that Arizona actually wanted to back out of some of the recruits they locked in when the team was projected to be a 3 win team if they could do it without looking bad, although maybe at this point in the game it's still a bad idea (not saying that ROIs aren't completely unfair)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
In a situation like this it won't be too difficult for kids to get a release. The kids ask Arizona, if Arizona says no they can appeal to the NCAA under extenuating circumstances (e.g. your future coach being fired mere weeks after signing).

Unless the whole of the class is going to go elsewhere and potentially cripple the program most schools do grant releases because it's easier than having disgruntled, volatile players to watch over and let integrate into your team, you just never read about them because it happens smoothly and the only people that read the blurb (unless it's a blue chipper) are that team's fans. The only time you read about releases is when things go poorly and most of the time the pressure from being a national story is enough to get the school to cooperate anyway.

What will probably happen is Arizona is telling them to wait and see who they hired, let the coaches see what kids they want, and then they'll go from there. I'm sure a handful of kids will be released and the rest will be OK enough with the hire to stay.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

General Dog posted:

It also seems like their internal investigation was genuinely unable to substantiate the claims against him. Sure, you can roll your eyes at that, but if they intentionally half-assed the investigation, why fire him anyway and say "yeah, we don't have much evidence about this specific claim but we know bad stuff was going on"?

Doesn't mean the inciting claim wasn't true, but if they're going to fire him with cause the burden of proof is going to be on them.

As it is, they say "yeah, we can't really prove anything specific (nothing that doesn't also incriminate us, anyway), but we can tell this is heading in a bad direction so we're going to nip this in the bud and also for the record, Rodriguez is not a great guy. So anybody else who's interested, you've been warned." All in all, they could have handled it a lot worse than they did.

also it seemed like that the only reason they couldn't substantiate the claims was because the victim/her attorney wanted to keep certain details confidential so they could use them in upcoming litigation against RichRod and UofA. they're playing the long game and likely to win big.

and is there any updates on Mizzou's OC search? I asked Gabe DeArmond what their chances are with Harrell (my choice) and he pointed me to an article that was firmly behind a paywall.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
http://tucson.com/news/local/breakd...ea7f93a46e.html

quote:

...The claim says that the woman was forced to cover up Rodriguez's longtime relationship with his girlfriend and that eventually, Rodriguez began sexually harassing the woman, brushing up against her breasts, talking about his underwear, and at one point, grabbing his penis after calling the woman into his office....

...Shortly after the incident, Rodriguez asked the woman to get him underwear from the equipment room downstairs. Finding the request to be “degrading and out of line,” the woman asked another employee to get the underwear, hoping to avoid the situation. “Nonetheless, Rodriguez made incredibly inappropriate comments to (the woman) afterwards about how his preferred style of underwear ‘visibly enhanced’ his genitalia when worn,” the claim says...

...In January 2017, Rodriguez began telling the woman about his marital problems, saying that he needed to be with someone who is passionate. He grabbed the woman, “embraced her, touched the side of her breast and tried to kiss her,” but the woman pulled away and moved her head...

...When the woman arrived at Rodriguez’s office the next morning to take him to the airport, he walked by her desk shirtless and said he needed to take a shower in his office. He asked her to stay in his office and keep his dog calm while he showered, but the woman took the dog for a long walk to avoid interacting with Rodriguez and seeing Rodriguez naked....

She's got one hell of a detailed account.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Matt Scott with the :salt:

https://twitter.com/mscottqb10/status/948437590532739073

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus :stare:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
What the gently caress.

Good riddance.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I'd be pretty cool with Arizona firing Miller too, so I'll allow this take.

e: this is solely because I dislike Sean Miller of course.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Paying players: good, morally righteous, very cool

Sexually harassing coworkers: gross, bad, decidedly uncool

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Goddamn

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

:yikes: Yeah no thanks, gently caress off forever RichRod.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/osgators/status/948628218864652289

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn takes Memphis's DB coach for their tenth man.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lol TAMU like some oil-rich Dallas dipshit trying to steal everyone's wife

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/948751146184830976

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Qwijib0 posted:

“Nonetheless, Rodriguez made incredibly inappropriate comments to (the woman) afterwards about how his preferred style of underwear ‘visibly enhanced’ his genitalia when worn,” the claim says...
Hey, FYI, I have a small dick, but it’s okay this underwear is like sticking a sock down there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LeeMajors posted:

lol TAMU like some oil-rich Dallas dipshit trying to steal everyone's wife

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/948751146184830976

Aranda probably knows that when Orgeron flames out he’s got a good chance at replacing him.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Aranda probably knows that when Orgeron flames out he’s got a good chance at replacing him.

Youd think TAMU would know better than to overpay an LSU DC.

Short memories. Must be all the nut-squeezing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/espnrittenberg/status/948755498790043648

Good god

• Locked thread