Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Mr.Tophat posted:

"The only jerk around here...is you!" I say as I re-enact that scene from a bug's life where all the acorns join arms to take on Hopper and pals expect instead of joining arms with acorns it's every post I've made about Star Citizen and Hopper is Derek and then the moderator bird almost kills me and my posts

Now do the scene at the end of Antz where General Mandible shouts that he's the colony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SoftNum posted:

Also I'm sick of this whole "Companies get sued all the time by people without a case." It is some sort of right-wing hard on fiction. Sure, you might settle if you think you can get a better deal than the court, but few actually-meritless suits get filed.

There is some degree of truth there. Big companies can be big targets for people.

The problem here though is that it’s not some random dudes. It’s the builders of your original pitch demo, and the owners of your engine you’ve built your product on, a coming at you because you broke a lot of legally binding agreements that you yourself agreed to in conjunction with them.

I guess if you squint a lot and look at it through your rose colored Star Citizen glasses, it’s totally just some random dude coming after CIG without any basis at all.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ZenMaster posted:

Who knows cat breeds? If I were to get one for a niece about 13 year old (with permission), what breed should I get? Need it to be playful and smart, but no tearing up stuff and biting and being a general turd in life.

Uh... a not-cat? Oh! I know! One of those kitty tamogatchis! Or a stuffed animal cat!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SoftNum posted:

Also I'm sick of this whole "Companies get sued all the time by people without a case." It is some sort of right-wing hard on fiction. Sure, you might settle if you think you can get a better deal than the court, but few actually-meritless suits get filed.

They really do, it's just usually patent trolling that's settled because it's cheaper than fighting it

which is like saying "we have a problem with car thefts so this murder is probably a bullshit nothingburger"

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Dusty Lens posted:

Now do the scene at the end of Antz where General Mandible shouts that he's the colony.

Sorry I didn't watch Antz enough to really do this but

"Do you like jazz?" General Mandible asks only instead of jazz it's blogs and instead of General Mandible it's Derek and then he delivers the line and then a lawsuit happens and then the honey (game) is never released to anyone ever again

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

alphabettitouretti posted:

Add those stupid glasses and the Willy Wonka costume is complete.

Wiley Wanker and the Chocshit Fucktory.
I remember years ago when Sandi wore that same wig and I made the same joke by Photoshopping her as Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
genuine lol

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

Are you skipping pages or something? The amended complaint gives them another 14 days to respond. Like, literally loving Two Weeks :laffo:

Somewhere, a law writer who wrote the book and is a fan of this thread is shaking his fists and giggling “This is my moment! Then long con is finally here!”

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

I remember years ago when Sandi wore that same wig and I made the same joke by Photoshopping her as Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka.
Hmm, it's actually the same as over 3 years ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdP_tq-hbUS/
Even has the dumb little black triangles.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Star Citizen is a flat circle.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

It's me, I am hammering [would you like to know more?]

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

A plague of comedy gives rise to strange hangers on and bedfellows, the entourage of the warlord's impressive bluster and blogbespoke war treasury that gives gleam to goons who have fallen for such allures, those who place their independent banners upon separate hills to die upon, those who merely chew at the cud and stare on at the grand field conflict to unfold...perhaps unwitting to the tragedy to play out. All are merely actors upon this inexplainable stage, this setting demands to be experienced to be understood. One with wisdom, if not poise, might pivot one's understanding to the gravity of the drama that unfolds to appreciate this to its full extent. Alas, all reports and details are not yet quite comprehensive, for history is written by the victors, and there is no absolute winner to ascribe such events their place in history just yet. Just predictions, calls, and sonorous echos of parlaying tribes.

Hark, a blog is sounded in the distance. More posturings and postulations as back to back the backers meet the warlord's ire in the cloud of tarrying feet of grunts and decisive tramples of legal cavalry. A legal cavalry most appropriately equip'd for such bloody hacking and slashing of the finances. Much will be lost and won in this two weeks, and men in their haste of the present thoughts will fear their empty purses before they begin to fear the gallows, guillotine, or oubliette.

As if one could forget such knaves, villains and purloiners of trust and promise at this stage of this sordid tale. God would sooner welcome the devil to his side than one might forget these emperor fools.

:yossame:

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Bootcha posted:

Now, there's a find, thank yooooooooooooou.

Really interesting and depressing that he used SWTOR as an example of "success".

I guess this really goes to show the difference between "Good Game" and "Good Product". While they may have been turning money (from loot boxes that were random, shady, and essentially the sole source of new armor models), the game continued to dwindle and die in terms of playerbase and non-microtransaction content. It's a shame because SWTOR had some really incredible story elements, the full voice acting, etc.

God I hate seeing what this industry has turned into. I mean I get that it's a business, but it just sucks. Games used to feel like a development team put their heart and soul into it. Now they all feel like a Marketing Team put their heart and soul into it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

How much do people here think that Shitizens will start trying to harass or "explain the truth of Star Citizen" to the judge of this case once it starts going?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

0% but I hate fun.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It saddens me that we'll never see Crobberts testify in court. Fucker's going to become the Dork Lord of the Fifth the instant he gets on the stand.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Stupid question...

If you were a SC backer and were asked to sit on the jury, would you have to make this known, and would it prevent you from participating?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

CrazyTolradi posted:

How much do people here think that Shitizens will start trying to harass or "explain the truth of Star Citizen" to the judge of this case once it starts going?

You know what? I never thought of that as a possibility and it is going to be the most hysterical thing ever when some sperg goes over the line and contacts the Judge directly with a full dose of Stimpire.txt and gets made an example of. This loving ride just keeps on going.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
In other news.

2017-12-22 $68,832
2017-12-23 $188,723
2017-12-24 $190,559
2017-12-25 $152,451
2017-12-26 $147,661
2017-12-27 $149,847
2017-12-28 $141,118
2017-12-29 $143,248
2017-12-30 $128,102
2017-12-31 $135,254
2018-01-01 $105,806
2018-01-02 $108,695
2018-01-03 $100,408

Total : $1.76M with 12 more days to go.

If TheAgent is correct, this looks like an amortized 2M dump starting from the 22/23rd of Dec.

:rip:
Phi230
EminusSleepus
Lack of Gravitas
Sarsapariller
Drunk Theory
Mr Fronts
Quinntan
Thirsty Dog
VealCutlet
Golli

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

ZenMaster posted:

Who knows cat breeds? If I were to get one for a niece about 13 year old (with permission), what breed should I get? Need it to be playful and smart, but no tearing up stuff and biting and being a general turd in life.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

DapperDon posted:

You know what? I never thought of that as a possibility and it is going to be the most hysterical thing ever when some sperg goes over the line and contacts the Judge directly with a full dose of Stimpire.txt and gets made an example of. This loving ride just keeps on going.
Honestly, these are the guys who'll mob the comments section of every article that even shows the slightest bit of criticism or doesn't portray SC as the savoir of modern PC gaming.

I can honestly see a few of the more invested crazies like Tarka getting into their heads that, if only the judge could understand just what Star Citizen is, this case would be dismissed in an instant.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

DapperDon posted:

I can't wait until they start accusing federal judges of doxxing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

reverend crabhands posted:

Stupid question...

If you were a SC backer and were asked to sit on the jury, would you have to make this known, and would it prevent you from participating?

If they asked you the question when in the box, then yes. And both sides would be stupid to not ask it. Along with the usual ones if you have friends/family members that are in law enforcement, etc. A simple "Are you aware of who Chris Roberts is?" would be enough. Combine that with a questionnaire that can come back to haunt you.

Granted civil jury trials are quite a different beast compared to criminal ones, but I sort of weep on how most folks approach the matters at hand.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

reverend crabhands posted:

Stupid question...

Preface: I don't know poo poo from shinola

You would be required to disclose financial investment or a bias in favor of one side or the other during the initial jury selection phase. This is the phase during which bias or relationship that would sway your decision beyond the information presented during the trial should be expressed. Usually to the judge, possibly to the attorneys. Though attorney selection of jury takes place in the followup phase.

Postface: Don't use the doorknobs in my house

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

no_recall posted:

In other news.

2017-12-22 $68,832
2017-12-23 $188,723
2017-12-24 $190,559
2017-12-25 $152,451
2017-12-26 $147,661
2017-12-27 $149,847
2017-12-28 $141,118
2017-12-29 $143,248
2017-12-30 $128,102
2017-12-31 $135,254
2018-01-01 $105,806
2018-01-02 $108,695
2018-01-03 $100,408

Total : $1.76M with 12 more days to go.

If TheAgent is correct, this looks like an amortized 2M dump starting from the 22/23rd of Dec.

:rip:
Phi230
EminusSleepus
Lack of Gravitas
Sarsapariller
Drunk Theory
Mr Fronts
Quinntan
Thirsty Dog
VealCutlet
Golli

Oh, so you extended the sale/guessing game. I thought you were pinching this turd off on 12/31.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
how could any of us anticipate cig would sell swamp land futures to make da money this year.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Colostomy Bag posted:

If they asked you the question when in the box, then yes. And both sides would be stupid to not ask it. Along with the usual ones if you have friends/family members that are in law enforcement, etc. A simple "Are you aware of who Chris Roberts is?" would be enough. Combine that with a questionnaire that can come back to haunt you.

Granted civil jury trials are quite a different beast compared to criminal ones, but I sort of weep on how most folks approach the matters at hand.

Judge: do you know who Derek Smart is?

*potential juror begins foaming at the mouth *

Judge: the juror is dismissed

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Jst0rm posted:

how could any of us anticipate cig would sell swamp land futures to make da money this year.
To be honest, I'm actually surprised they weren't selling land packages earlier. It's a pretty easy cash grab and, while obvious as gently caress to us, it's something most invested Shitizens would happily snatch up.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What are the odds the Derek has contacted Skadden trying to get his name into the case somehow?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

thatguy posted:

Say no more fam.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

What are the odds the Derek has contacted Skadden trying to get his name into the case somehow?

Slightly lower than the odds that it will be heavily implied that he was contacted by them.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

Slightly lower than the odds that it will be heavily implied that he was contacted by them.

so 99.9% then

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh, so you extended the sale/guessing game. I thought you were pinching this turd off on 12/31.

I'll prolly have 2 winners, surprises galore.

At least its better than Star Citizen (The Game).

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Also its fun to see "consumer sentiments" depending on the lawsuit, if it does dent their fudtracker.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

To be fair CIG's pixel scientists did find a way to keep the normal two week sale production schedule running for a quarter of the year.

We laughed them off as frauds and now we're paying the fool's price.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Did CIG respond to the court complaint? ELE?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Also now that 3.0 is out, will we see the Hull Series ship get primed for debut?

I mean all that cargo isn't going to haul itself, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jonny Nox posted:

So is subsumption supposed to be code for magick? It's like some of these people have a child's perception about what goes into even a simple decision.

So the funny thing about seeing commandos pinning so many hopes on subsumption, while claiming SC is never-done-before cutting edge stuff, is that subsumption is something I first learned about during an undergrad robotics project course.

That was about 20 years ago. And it had already been around for some time when I read about it, because it wasn’t new material you had to scour just-published papers for, it was in the class textbook.

Subsumption AI research was about building swarms of individually-stupid micro-robots that would collaborate to accomplish some slightly complex task by mimicing a computer scientist’s understanding of how individual ants work together in an ant colony. Each ant-bot was programmed with a set of several primitive, simple behaviors. The idea is that only one of those canned behaviors gets to control the bot at a time; selection of the active behavior loop was determined by sensory feedback and comm messages from other nearby bots. Inactive behaviors are ‘subsumed’ beneath the active one, hence the name.

They used this concept to successfully do things vaguely similar to an ant colony. Let the worker bots roam free in a little environment, and some of them would fall into gathering behaviors to move “food” (crumpled up balls of aluminum foil) to a staging area while others settled into moving it from the staging area into the “nest” for storage. Stuff like that.

The theme was trying to make simple individual rules create more complex, emergent herd behavior, and it was all MIT Media Lab as gently caress, that being the lab which invented it. For those not in the know, MIT’s Media Lab is an academic compsci research lab which gets a disproportionate amount of publicity and funding due to a combo of friends in very high places and a focus on doing wacky, press friendly things.

So that’s the revolutionary AI tech which is going to make SC NPCs behave in a super fidelitous lifelike fashion: something invented a quarter century ago as a crude way of emulating ant brains. But not real ant brains, ant brains as understood by a bunch of compsci grad students and/or profs whose grasp of insect behavior was probably poor. And (so far as I can tell) this super advanced thing has not seen much use outside of pie in the sky academic research, because most real world robots are automated welders and CNC milling machines which just need to mindlessly repeat a control program over and over.

On that last point, don’t get me wrong. It’s cool and good to spend a little bit of society’s wealth on goofy stuff that has no immediate use irl, and you are always going to have to accept that some of it won’t have any use ever because it’s tricky to figure out which is which ahead of time. It’s just - lol no, cultists, subsumption is not gonna make the game good (or a game). It’s not the right way to make NPCs behave like people, or in a way that is fun to interact with.

It’s also easy to guess how this idea became a big thing at CIG. Junior grade AI programmer is told to figure out how to make lifelike NPCs, finds this One Weird Trick that seems to make cool stuff happen out of extremely simple base rules, doesn’t realize that maybe it’s not quite so easy to make it generate convincing human behavior or that those apparently simple rules may have needed a ton of tweaking to get right, sells it to Chris, and pretty soon it’s on the list of gee whiz material used to milk whales.