Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I sorta want skyward sword without motion controls you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Motion controls were the least of that game's problems.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

My switch case was delayed from jan. 2nd to the 9th. What the gently caress amazon

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Motion controls were the least of that game's problems.

They were probably my favorite thing about the game along with the dungeon design. The overworld is what made it one of the lesser Zelda games. I’d give it another try though if it got an HD remake. Zelda remakes have a great track record of fixing some of the worse parts of each respective game.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

a.lo posted:

My switch case was delayed from jan. 2nd to the 9th. What the gently caress amazon

Get some free prime out of it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Bunch of random trailers for upcoming indie games on the Switch. There's one of the weirdest things I've seen, a racer-top-down-shooter hybrid based on Greek myth as told from a very different perspective, The Next Penelope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEuHqURV1yU

And Innerspace, which looks really good as a sort of stoner game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwtFhU3swmM

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Bunch of random trailers for upcoming indie games on the Switch. There's one of the weirdest things I've seen, a racer-top-down-shooter hybrid based on Greek myth as told from a very different perspective, The Next Penelope

The Next Penelope has been out for a while and it owns.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Man it'd be cool if Nintendo gave you more than a progress bar for downloads.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Noctone posted:

Man it'd be cool if Nintendo gave you more than a progress bar for downloads.

You can get a real percentage if you need it but no DL speeds is a bummer.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Percentage is more or less useless too. Download speed and especially time left are glaring omissions. e: and download size too

Noctone fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 4, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also my download speeds and speed tests are crazy low for my switch. I have 100mb internet but I’m lucky if my switch tests at more than 5. Also every game takes at least 45m to download.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

None of those are Darkest Dungeon :(

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Hi, this is from pages back, but I have An Opinion.

Harrow posted:

The only other real complaint I have about Breath of the Wild is something I'd also apply to Super Mario Odyssey: there are a ton of not-very-meaningful shrines (and, in Odyssey, moons). BotW has tons of samey shrines, or just Monk's Blessing shrines that just don't add anything other than a couple of loading screens between the player and a spirit orb. And Odyssey has loads of low-effort moons just lying all over the place.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that's the kind of thing that's only going to stand out if you're looking for every shrine and moon you can find. If you're just making your way through the game to get the basic ending, the large number of collectibles ensures that no matter where you go and where you look, you'll probably find enough to proceed, and you'll find a healthy variety of activities along the way, too. It's just that, as a natural consequence of allowing the player some freedom while also not standing in the way of the player's progress, there have to be a shitload of these things around. The side effect is that a completionist nerd like me is going to notice there are like ten Test of Strength shrines in BotW or start to wonder why they can't just give me a spirit orb for solving an open world puzzle without making me load into and out of a Monk's Blessing shrine each time, or get really tired of throwing Cappy at like three birds in every kingdom in Mario Odyssey. But that's probably a trade-off that's worth making.

That said I hope the next Zelda takes shrine-like puzzles (using mechanics like BotW's runes) and combines them into themed dungeons because I think there's a ton of potential there.

So Zelda and Mario are both rated E10 which means they are games for ten year olds and up. So you and I may be thirty-five years old and be able to get every last shrine or power moon but our ten year old sons/daughters/nieces/nephews and especially their younger brothers and sisters who still want to play a cool Nintendo game too probably aren't capable of 100% completing the game. But their experience with the game is just as valid as ours. You can't act like the game is made for You, the Gaming Adult when it is literally rated for "Everyone." Kids have just as much right to see the end of the game.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm just really hoping Nintendo releases a third game so we have something new to talk about

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m fine with moons lying around in Odyssey since there’s so many but I agree with that point on shrines. Way too many of them were lame boring combat ones.

One of my favorite DLC shrines was the one that you think was going to be another boring combat shrine and then right as you’re like “wow they loving did this again in the paid DLC?”, the floor opens up after killing the guardian.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Don't worry, in 2019 we'll also be talking about the flaws inherent in Metroid.

Edit:

SeANMcBAY posted:

One of my favorite DLC shrines was the one that you think was going to be another boring combat shrine and then right as you’re like “wow they loving did this again in the paid DLC?”, the floor opens up after killing the guardian.

No, that was my favorite shrine period too.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm just really hoping Nintendo releases a third game so we have something new to talk about

Back to Boob Sword: The Game chat...

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm having some of my friend's kids, 6 and 14, both boys, over in the next little while. Depending on the weather, they might be stuck inside with me. Any recommendations of co-op games that would be suitable for such an age range? Ideally something where the older one can still get stuff done, without requiring the younger one to be capable.

E I already have Odyssey but would like other options.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

World of Goo maybe? Oh and Shovel Knight has co-op! Snipperclips!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don’t really follow video game news or discussion outside of Nintendo, is the cycle of “This game sucks and is overrated/actually it’s amazing” a thing that happens for all games or is it unique to Zelda games?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Reality Loser posted:

I'm having some of my friend's kids, 6 and 14, both boys, over in the next little while. Depending on the weather, they might be stuck inside with me. Any recommendations of co-op games that would be suitable for such an age range? Ideally something where the older one can still get stuff done, without requiring the younger one to be capable.

E I already have Odyssey but would like other options.

Give each of them one half of the joycon and make them play Breath of the Wild

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Lobster posted:

Hi, this is from pages back, but I have An Opinion.

So Zelda and Mario are both rated E10 which means they are games for ten year olds and up. So you and I may be thirty-five years old and be able to get every last shrine or power moon but our ten year old sons/daughters/nieces/nephews and especially their younger brothers and sisters who still want to play a cool Nintendo game too probably aren't capable of 100% completing the game. But their experience with the game is just as valid as ours. You can't act like the game is made for You, the Gaming Adult when it is literally rated for "Everyone." Kids have just as much right to see the end of the game.

The bolded sections he's taking about would be far better if not shrines though. Like imagine instead of going through two loading screens and four cutscenes for a monks blessing when you find a secret shrine, the monk was just there at the secret area you found along with a teleportation pad and you went through one cutscene and zero loading screens. Shrines that are essentially empty would be better as just part of the existing environment like the shrine of resurrection.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

GoldfishStew posted:

What are some good multiplayer games to play with pals back home? They’re sick of splatoon. How’s resident evil? How’s hammerhead

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So if I really like turn based games is Steamworld Heist going to scratch that itch?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The bolded sections he's taking about would be far better if not shrines though. Like imagine instead of going through two loading screens and four cutscenes for a monks blessing when you find a secret shrine, the monk was just there at the secret area you found along with a teleportation pad and you went through one cutscene and zero loading screens. Shrines that are essentially empty would be better as just part of the existing environment like the shrine of resurrection.

That's debatable. Some of the blessing shrines the puzzle is getting to them and the aesthetic is kept that it is a holy place yadda yadda.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mahoning posted:

I don’t really follow video game news or discussion outside of Nintendo, is the cycle of “This game sucks and is overrated/actually it’s amazing” a thing that happens for all games or is it unique to Zelda games?

Literally every game, that's how dead circular forums work given enough time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Lobster posted:

Don't worry, in 2019 we'll also be talking about the flaws inherent in Metroid.

Samus returns was mediocre

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Lobster posted:

I mean, that's pretty much what I was getting at in the paragraph after the part you bolded, isn't it? The abundance of things are there so that no matter what you do, you're rewarded and you can progress. But the natural consequence of that is that there have to be a ton of whatever little reward tokens, because there's a lot of game and all of it needs to be able to award them. Same reason nearly every action in a game like Assassin's Creed Origins gives experience points, just less granular.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 4, 2018

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Noctone posted:

Percentage is more or less useless too. Download speed and especially time left are glaring omissions. e: and download size too

Doesn't it tell you time left if you click on the thing being downloaded?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Snipperclips is the ideal couch multiplayer game, I believe.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
But what other than splatoon is good long distance mp

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

GoldfishStew posted:

What are some good multiplayer games to play with pals back home? They’re sick of splatoon. How’s resident evil? How’s hammerhead

Coachplay , we had fun over the holiday playing Crawl. The 3 on 1 crabs-in-a-bucket gameplay is a lot of fun and can evoke nice strings of obscenities.

GoldfishStew posted:

But what other than splatoon is good long distance mp

edit: misunderstood, thought you were going back home or something.

Hammerwatch is fun if you dig Gauntlet Legends. I cant speak to the switch version but I got some hours on the PC version and Mumble with friends and that was a good time.

Double edit: Apparently the version of Hammerwatch on Switch doesnt have online implemented yet. So yeah.....

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 4, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Atlas Hugged posted:

So if I really like turn based games is Steamworld Heist going to scratch that itch?

I would say so. How does a side-scrolling XCOM where the gimmick is richocheting bullets like you're Revolver Ocelot sound to you? Lengthwise, I'd say it's about 25-30 hours to get everything, depending on how long you tend to agonize over your aim, I guess.

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 4, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Argue posted:

I would say so. How does a side-scrolling XCOM where the gimmick is richocheting bullets like you're Revolver Ocelot sound to you? Lengthwise, I'd say it's about 25-30 hours to get everything, depending on how long you tend to agonize over your aim, I guess.

So it's part puzzle as well? That does sound pretty good.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'd call Mario XCOM part-puzzle. Steamworld Heist, sure, I guess, if you're really stretching the definition. Aim your gun so that the bullet bounces at the right angle (and some guns fire arcing projectiles), and time the shot right, because everyone's arm shakes slightly, but visibly, so you won't always get the perfect shot if your timing is off.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I already beat Mario X-Com so this should be the next best thing.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Steamworld heist is fantastic. Great challenging levels good random elements and hard

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

They should put mario in botw so its more fun to play

this is so dumb, its the legend of zelda, thats why you play as zelda

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's really great game design that they tell you you need 20 shock arrows to get on to Divine beast ruhta, but they don't tell you that you need a bunch more regular arrows, so you can just completely run out in the middle and have to reload so you can go to town and buy arrows. I'm pretty sure almost every game since the 80's knew not to do poo poo like this, but not BOTW apparently. Ran into this bullshit both times I played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

veni veni veni posted:

It's really great game design that they tell you you need 20 shock arrows to get on to Divine beast ruhta, but they don't tell you that you need a bunch more regular arrows, so you can just completely run out in the middle and have to reload so you can go to town and buy arrows. I'm pretty sure almost every game since the 80's knew not to do poo poo like this, but not BOTW apparently. Ran into this bullshit both times I played it.

Use your ice power on the ice blocks

• Locked thread