Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

because there are literally no consequences for ganking people in this game and when rebuys start getting into the millions, that a not insignificant time spent recouping your costs so some manchild can get their rocks off

huh.

I'm a complete newbie who has gotten shot to dust for accidentally carrying a wanted criminal and also for crashing into someone in the slot, so I kinda assumed there was some spacecop response. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
When I get ganked with no response/warning/meaningful interaction, I don't combat log. I simply go through the CMDR history in the top panel and block the player. I'll no longer be put in instances with them, and I still get to play with players that like to play the game instead of a space-murder-simulator. Everyone gets what they want.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Jimbot posted:

Is there a developer roadmap for upcoming content and whatnot? Their site doesn't have a clear picture of what they're working on like they did for Horizons's content.

Not exactly, but there is a curated reddit post that looked about right. The first reply listed being basically the same question/concern you have and has been downvoted pretty hard because of course the answer is "It is there you just have to piece meal it together from a lot of dev posts, streams, and convention info GOD"

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Tsed posted:

Why are people even so worried about their ships exploding when it's all of 5% or w/e to get it back?

I mean, I wasn’t pouting. But an 11 million rebuy and 100mil of missions out to the medb station in my hold was a bit of a set back all just because some dumb AI glitch has been causing station security to buzz canopies of big ships lately. It has to be a bug. They literally fly right across your beam at top speed. I don’t think they used to do this.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

because there are literally no consequences for ganking people in this game and when rebuys start getting into the millions, that a not insignificant time spent recouping your costs so some manchild can get their rocks off

In the era of lucrative passenger runs, a single good run is what, 6-7 rebuys? Oh dearie me, how will I ever make the money from getting nailed in open back?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Blind Rasputin posted:

I mean, I wasn’t pouting. But an 11 million rebuy and 100mil of missions out to the medb station in my hold was a bit of a set back all just because some dumb AI glitch has been causing station security to buzz canopies of big ships lately. It has to be a bug. They literally fly right across your beam at top speed. I don’t think they used to do this.

It's not your imagination. This was introduced in a patch a few months back. I'm not certain of the cause, but I believe they changed how the ai fly around players. Previously, the ai would "cheat" and read the players inputs client side, then magic maneuver to avoid a collision. This made it drat near impossible to purposefully ram an npc. Now, the cheat is removed and ai fly as of nothing can impede their flight path.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Last time I was in a CZ with my Corvette there were enemy ships bumping into me constantly. And then a couple capital ships jumped in, and the NPCs were doing the same to them, flying up and grinding against them while firing.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
:frontier: Occasionally wonder about reinstalling this but from the sounds of it nothing really changed in the past year. They cant add carriers soon enough

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

I'm a big fan of the mods deleting and banning "suck it up cry babies" comments for :airquote: encouraging game exploits :airquote:

No you see it's a SERIOUS thread, it means that the OP has his grown up pants and you are expected to not troll. :ohdear:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Nice

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Tsed posted:

Why are people even so worried about their ships exploding when it's all of 5% or w/e to get it back?
I am more annoyed by the death of my fighter pilot and losing her relatively high combat rank with her (I hired her while she was harmless).
Which I realized only after being ganked by some bored kids that are probably currently whining about other people not accepting to be their 'content'.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 4, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh come on how many times did you have to look at that before you got it?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

orange juche posted:

Oh come on how many times did you have to look at that before you got it?

The highlights aren’t mine I was just cross posting a funny picture.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

The highlights aren’t mine I was just cross posting a funny picture.

Wasn't trying to come across as an rear end, sorry bout that, but yeah I noticed that the first time I saw the faction name.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Boy is there a lot of elitism in this thread

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
There isn't a thread on these boards that doesn't have at least one of those posters in it.

Bought a python, and mostly b rank fit it out. Need to grind out another 100m or so to A rank the FSD/Power Plant, and something else I can't remember. Thrusters maybe.

I looked into some space limo stuff. Kept seeing missions that wanted me to go out like 25000+ LY. I'll pass.

I keep seeing people talking about flipping the mission board, or something to that effect. How do you do that?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blind Rasputin posted:

:rimshot:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

:banjo:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Hobold posted:

There isn't a thread on these boards that doesn't have at least one of those posters in it.

Bought a python, and mostly b rank fit it out. Need to grind out another 100m or so to A rank the FSD/Power Plant, and something else I can't remember. Thrusters maybe.

I looked into some space limo stuff. Kept seeing missions that wanted me to go out like 25000+ LY. I'll pass.

I keep seeing people talking about flipping the mission board, or something to that effect. How do you do that?

Flipping means logging out of your current instance and logging into another one to change the missions. Going from Solo mode to Private or Open will do it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Hobold posted:

Go to Parutis, find passenger missions that go to Vela Dock in Medb, go to Medb and alt-tab while you fly to Vela Dock (it takes about 25 minutes, but pays a lot).
Also, you should probably equip a lot of economy class cabins beforehand.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

If you’re playing on the xbone and in super cruise can you switch over to Netflix and the game still keep running in the background?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Blind Rasputin posted:

If you’re playing on the xbone and in super cruise can you switch over to Netflix and the game still keep running in the background?

probably not on ps4, it suspends it so the game will kick you out

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I decided to do a little exploration, and have been working the Road to Riches. Is there a way to ballpark how much the exploration data is worth? I've worked through 40 systems on the list, and curious how much that might be worth.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Enos Cabell posted:

I decided to do a little exploration, and have been working the Road to Riches. Is there a way to ballpark how much the exploration data is worth? I've worked through 40 systems on the list, and curious how much that might be worth.

It was about 1 million per system for me, give or take a couple hundred thousand depending on what's there.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It was about 1 million per system for me, give or take a couple hundred thousand depending on what's there.

Perfect, thanks. Not quite as lucrative as passenger missions maybe, but it's a fun change of pace for now.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Blind Rasputin posted:

Er, yeah, didn't mean that, just meant the people who feel they're entitled to ganks vs those that are playing open but getting really concerned about losses trivial compared to their assets. IDK, just trying to gauge the environment coming from EVE. I pretty much expected to be non-consensually PVPed when I clicked the Open Play button, and losses seem entirely absorbable such that I can't see myself worrying about combat logging or whatever. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Surprise Giraffe posted:

:frontier: Occasionally wonder about reinstalling this but from the sounds of it nothing really changed in the past year. They cant add carriers soon enough

:ssh: carriers won't make it any more fun

Blind Rasputin posted:

:golfclap:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I can only have fun in games when I know someone else is hurting, so this affects me deeply. I am kidding, a little.

Start combat logging, that hurts griefers greatly.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Colonial Air Force posted:

Start combat logging, that hurts griefers greatly.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Go to Parutis, find passenger missions that go to Vela Dock in Medb, go to Medb and alt-tab while you fly to Vela Dock (it takes about 25 minutes, but pays a lot).
Also, you should probably equip a lot of economy class cabins beforehand.

Do as this person says. I started out making runs with a Type 6 hauler and now I have an A rated Anaconda with about 700 mil left over.

I try to focus on the passenger missions that don't have a specific passenger name attatched to them (Example: Joe Schmoe wants to go to Medb) because they want to take up the whole passenger bay with their entourage which is a huge waste of space with the larger passenger bays. If you pick the "22 Aid Workers want to go to Medb" kind of missions you can stack them up in the passenger bays back to back with no wasted space. I guess if you only have a little space in your ship it would be good to ignore this and go for the named passengers since they pay more usually. LOOK OUT FOR CRIMINAL OR WANTED PASSENGERS UNLESS YOU LIKE DODGING SCANS AND MAYBE GETTING BLOWN UP

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 4, 2018

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I really wish people would stop doing these stupid unfun grinds for money, then quitting when they have all the money and all the ships, but forgot to actually play the game along the way and lose interest.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I really wish people would stop doing these stupid unfun grinds for money, then quitting when they have all the money and all the ships, but forgot to actually play the game along the way and lose interest.

They've designed the game to make grinding attractive. Switching loadouts is a pain, you often can't find the kind of missions you want to do, and playing the game casually can reward you massively less than focusing on a grind.

Blame the game, not the players.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

jubjub64 posted:

Do as this person says. I started out making runs with a Type 6 hauler and now I have an A rated Anaconda with about 700 mil left over.

I try to focus on the passenger missions that don't have a specific passenger name attatched to them (Example: Joe Schmoe wants to go to Medb) because they want to take up the whole passenger bay with their entourage which is a huge waste of space with the larger passenger bays. If you pick the "22 Aid Workers want to go to Medb" kind of missions you can stack them up in the passenger bays back to back with no wasted space. I guess if you only have a little space in your ship it would be good to ignore this and go for the named passengers since they pay more usually. LOOK OUT FOR CRIMINAL OR WANTED PASSENGERS UNLESS YOU LIKE DODGING SCANS AND MAYBE GETTING BLOWN UP

Yeah, do this, but bring a book or podcasts or something. You're gonna get bored. The board flipping to get the elusive "transport X people who aren't rich assholes" missions takes ages, to the point where you have to be careful you have enough time left to complete the first few you accept.

Of course YMMV, depending on the ship you're using. I was using a Python, and it took ages to fill up on passengers. On the other hand, getting interdicted was actually a nice break from the monotony. Even with the crap-rear end Size 3 shield I was using (to maximize passenger seating), every interdiction went something like this:

"Prepare to die, passenger vessel!"
[Cue RELENTLESS BEAM LASERS]
"Never mind, I'm gonna go now. Sorry to bother you."
[EMBRACE THE BEAMS]
"Jesus Christ, everything's on melting! Oh Jesus Chri-"

"Due to unexpected turbulence, our arrival time will be 60 seconds later than scheduled."

...And that's how I bought all three Fed ships, plus A-rated the Gunship, and had money to spare. Whoever suggested the Parutis - Medb run is a saint who has renewed my enjoyment of Euro Spacetruck Simulator.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The grind IS the game, wtf else is there to do?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Goredema posted:

Yeah, do this, but bring a book or podcasts or something. You're gonna get bored. The board flipping to get the elusive "transport X people who aren't rich assholes" missions takes ages, to the point where you have to be careful you have enough time left to complete the first few you accept.

Of course YMMV, depending on the ship you're using. I was using a Python, and it took ages to fill up on passengers. On the other hand, getting interdicted was actually a nice break from the monotony. Even with the crap-rear end Size 3 shield I was using (to maximize passenger seating), every interdiction went something like this:

"Prepare to die, passenger vessel!"
[Cue RELENTLESS BEAM LASERS]
"Never mind, I'm gonna go now. Sorry to bother you."
[EMBRACE THE BEAMS]
"Jesus Christ, everything's on melting! Oh Jesus Chri-"

"Due to unexpected turbulence, our arrival time will be 60 seconds later than scheduled."

...And that's how I bought all three Fed ships, plus A-rated the Gunship, and had money to spare. Whoever suggested the Parutis - Medb run is a saint who has renewed my enjoyment of Euro Spacetruck Simulator.

Enjoy the run while you can, Frontier will nerf the poo poo out of it soon enough, can't have people not grinding for literal months for pocket change after all.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Enos Cabell posted:

An amazing sheet explaining the values of every stellar body you can find. Also good for general referencing when looking at the system map.

This one even handily has all of the scoopable stars all on the same line if you forget the dumb mnemonic.

And another for finding those juicy terraformables.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 4, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

While the sound effects individuals in this game are already very good it is missing one key thing. When I come out of 40 minutes of supercruise the hull of my ship should be literally smoking from space friction.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

The grind IS the game, wtf else is there to do?

Listening to the excellent sound design. Preferably through youtube videos :v:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
do it if you need the money, but what I'm saying is don't let that be all you do. I've seen dozens of players come and go, they latch on to whatever money making gimmick is hot at the moment, make a ton of money, buy a cutter or corvette, and then lose interest because they reached their end goal and know nothing about the game beyond flipping boards and doing the one specific task that got them their money.

Incidentally I had quite an interesting night yesterday: I rescued some poor tadpole who ran out of gas on the way to mother goat, managed to kill myself in a spectacular way trying to get an FSD boost off a really marginal white dwarf, and earned a few million credits fighting in a local warzone for an hour. Another Frog joined me in his hilarious combat fit orca and it was glorious. More like a bullfight than a war. I'm used to be being the one that's a loving menace to everyone else, and it was entertaining as hell to be put on the other side of that. That loving orca was a hoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Tsed posted:

Er, yeah, didn't mean that, just meant the people who feel they're entitled to ganks vs those that are playing open but getting really concerned about losses trivial compared to their assets. IDK, just trying to gauge the environment coming from EVE. I pretty much expected to be non-consensually PVPed when I clicked the Open Play button, and losses seem entirely absorbable such that I can't see myself worrying about combat logging or whatever. :shrug:

I got you fam, part of me will always miss eve and goonfleet. There was such a feeling of excitement flying a ship that you could not afford to lose, but knowing that you’d followed the rules to the letter so goonfleet would reimburse you and issue you another. The first time I lost a megathron though..

Eve had pretty big incentives for engaging in PVP, and doing so could involve entire layers of strategy and cat and mouse. It was mostly really good fun. This game just doesn’t give off that feeling at all. To be honest, I’ve never played elite in open mode but for a few short minutes during the station rescue thing just to see the long lines. One thing that really blows me away is how when, say, diamond frogs space is being contested, there’s no actual player vs player involvement in the combat zones that affects the BGS. The best way to win those contests is to kill as many rats in the CZs as possible to push the BGS, and thus the best way to do that is to play solo or private so you’re not bothered while doing so.

Again, whoever brought up that Medb run. Thanks so much. This is the best money I’ve ever made in this game and it’s literally Netflix and chill.i also figured out on the xbone that you can leave your ship super cruising and switch back and forth to Netflix or live tv and things will keep rolling as long as you switch back to elite every 5 minutes or so to move the controller.

• Locked thread