Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

This is laughably stupid and all, but it's a really lovely thing to say to an employee even if you don't like what they did and wouldn't hire them again, even sort of by proxy in the case of licensed book approvals etc. What a gently caress.

So. I don't want to ascribe motivations. But I'm fairly certain I know what this was. It was absolutely a lovely thing to say to an employee. But, there's a sort of meme with White Wolf/CCP/OPP about how harsh redline notes can be. A few people have popularly talked about how utterly vicious Justin Achilli's notes were (ironically, they were some of the more fair I've seen.) And from time to time, you get developers trying to sort of one-up themselves over how lovely they can be in redline notes. I had one note from Matt McFarland that made me consider walking on a project, despite having finished my first draft and rather liking it. It was utterly lovely, disrespectful, and uncalled for. I took him to task, he apologized, and said he's just gotten used to that sort of thing because he learned from earlier examples of people saying ridiculous, hurtful, and completely uncalled for poo poo.

I'm fairly certain that since Martin worked at the CCP offices, he's heard all this, and just wants to be "part of company culture."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Holden reading this and trying to respond on twitter is the saddest thing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Did his account here get banned after melting down about Exalted 3e or something?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

Did his account here get banned after melting down about Exalted 3e or something?

Yes. Not perma'd, but banned.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Holden reading this and trying to respond on twitter is the saddest thing.

It's just more bitching about Mark Rein-Hagen and Donald Trump???

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Bedlamdan posted:

It's just more bitching about Mark Rein-Hagen and Donald Trump???

Check out this HOT SCOOP he totally didn't pull from comedy forum site somethingawful dot com.

https://twitter.com/HoldenShearer/status/948519596193210368

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

DigitalRaven posted:

Let me clarify something from the earlier post because I was writing in pre-third-espresso mode:

Nobody told/suggested/intimated/hinted or otherwise gave me any indication that I wouldn't be paid for not implementing changes.

It was something that was a pressing concern in my own head, for a bunch of reasons — guilt over the humongous delays I'd caused being a major one — but it was not anything another human being had raised.

Oh, and since I know Holden's reading the thread: Stop covering for your abuser friend you worthless shitstain.

Well, yes, no one has to personally intimate that you won't get paid if you don't implement changes when as part of the publishing approval structure you can very clearly just not pay someone until they implement changes.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Check out this HOT SCOOP he totally didn't pull from comedy forum site somethingawful dot com.

https://twitter.com/HoldenShearer/status/948519596193210368

Yeah but, where is he trying to respond to people on the thread specifically?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

why is that little bitch whining about rpgnet all the time

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

They appear to have kept their hands off of V20. But they're trying to Steer Werewolf back to where it was in 1st Edition, where the Garou nation was heavily fractured and the tribes infought with each other like bored rage filled Vampires. Also every tribe is it's worst stereotype cranked up to 11. Rather than Revised where everyone had simmered down due to, you know, the loving Apocalypse.

But M20 is being written by Brucato and has a sidebar about Magykal Hermaphrodites so.... yeah.

Careful, seeker! Names have Power.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Plutonis posted:

He used to be a mod there until he got kicked to the curb

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MachineIV posted:

So. I don't want to ascribe motivations. But I'm fairly certain I know what this was. It was absolutely a lovely thing to say to an employee. But, there's a sort of meme with White Wolf/CCP/OPP about how harsh redline notes can be. A few people have popularly talked about how utterly vicious Justin Achilli's notes were (ironically, they were some of the more fair I've seen.) And from time to time, you get developers trying to sort of one-up themselves over how lovely they can be in redline notes. I had one note from Matt McFarland that made me consider walking on a project, despite having finished my first draft and rather liking it. It was utterly lovely, disrespectful, and uncalled for. I took him to task, he apologized, and said he's just gotten used to that sort of thing because he learned from earlier examples of people saying ridiculous, hurtful, and completely uncalled for poo poo.

Oh yeah, I'd heard of that. I never got to see redlines at all myself because lol late 2nd edition Exalted.

quote:

I'm fairly certain that since Martin worked at the CCP offices, he's heard all this, and just wants to be "part of company culture."

Yeah, that seems likely.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

they demodded him for being...well, him.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The amount of people who are still angry about getting banned from an internet forum years ago is depressing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That by itself is totally understandable. I've spent over ten years shitposting here on SA, and if I was permabanned I'd be very upset about it. Even for those of us with healthy in-real-life friendships, our online communities are a significant component of our social interactions now. Being summarily tossed out of a community you feel a part of is extremely distressing.

Mind you I'm not arguing anyone in particular didn't deserve it. But being super salty about it for years is probably a totally normal and reasonable psychological reaction.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Evil Mastermind posted:

The amount of people who are still angry about getting banned from an internet forum years ago is depressing.

Being banned from the Giant in the Playground forums way back in the day is possibly the best internet thing ever to happen to me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, I fully admit that like 90% of my online interactions happen here, and as such I try to behave myself.

But man, the loving people who got banned for their obvious bad behavior years ago like it's some sort of cosmic miscarriage of justice are just sad.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Leperflesh posted:

That by itself is totally understandable. I've spent over ten years shitposting here on SA, and if I was permabanned I'd be very upset about it. Even for those of us with healthy in-real-life friendships, our online communities are a significant component of our social interactions now. Being summarily tossed out of a community you feel a part of is extremely distressing.

Mind you I'm not arguing anyone in particular didn't deserve it. But being super salty about it for years is probably a totally normal and reasonable psychological reaction.

I guess, but there's sort of a chicken-and-egg thing going on here. You're not just making GBS threads up threads all day every day, so it would be weird for you to catch a perma. And even then I doubt you'd go sign up for Something Sensitive or whatever it's called so that you could proceed to not shut the gently caress up about it for years and years. The saltiest people seem to be the ones who actively disliked the forum well before getting banned for making GBS threads all over it, which is already an unhealthy attitude, and then a decade later they're still Very Not Mad about it together with a bunch of other people who are also Quite Calm Actually. I propose that that is kind of off.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

That Old Tree posted:

I guess, but there's sort of a chicken-and-egg thing going on here. You're not just making GBS threads up threads all day every day, so it would be weird for you to catch a perma. And even then I doubt you'd go sign up for Something Sensitive or whatever it's called so that you could proceed to not shut the gently caress up about it for years and years. The saltiest people seem to be the ones who actively disliked the forum well before getting banned for making GBS threads all over it, which is already an unhealthy attitude, and then a decade later they're still Very Not Mad about it together with a bunch of other people who are also Quite Calm Actually. I propose that that is kind of off.

RPGnet does kind of have an entire forum made for people who've been banned from it. Or at least that was basically what RPGsite was back in the day. I don't see as much cross-forum nonsense trolling these days.

(For some reason back when I was a mod we didn't like to admit that we read theRPGsite enough to notice them announcing they were going to troll us, so we occasionally had to justify ourselves when people came along yelling "why did you ban that person; they could have been arguing in good faith" without linking to the posts elsewhere where they announced their intent to post in bad faith.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 4, 2018

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

RPGnet does kind of have an entire forum made for people who've been banned from it. Or at least that was basically what RPGsite was back in the day.

Yeah, I get the impression it's kind of run out of steam as Pundit became less and less "cryptofascist" and more and more "just plain fascist." There're still some people there with huge Not Mad's for RPGnet, but most of the haters-on that are still there are more focused on being anti-SJW and -leftist in general. It's a lot less funny so I don't go there for chuckles anymore, but I poke my head in every once in a while. They implemented code to hide Pundit's Special Forum from view unless you're logged in, which I'm pretty sure was something they lambasted RPGnet for over Tangency, but I'm sure their reasons were very noble while RPGnet was merely trying to hide their calumnies. (While Tang is also the place where they are Performatively Woke so wouldn't they want people to see it?)

quote:

(For some reason back when I was a mod we didn't like to admit that we read theRPGsite enough to notice them announcing they were going to troll us, so we occasionally had to justify ourselves when people came along yelling "why did you ban that person; they could have been arguing in good faith" without linking to the posts elsewhere where they announced their intent to post in bad faith.

Yeah this is one of the actually lovely things about RPGnet. It's a good policy in general to try to just ignore off-site stuff, but when Old Geezer is just wanking himself silly on RPGSite about how RPGnet is just a bunch of rubes he's being polite to who'll buy his book (any day now!) and then he'll finally be able to tell them all what to do with his pee-hole, it's a lot harder to respect how far they're willing to go to uphold that principle.

The melt-down of that one blogger dude who caught a perma for talking on his blog about finding and punching the mods was pretty great, though.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 4, 2018

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

LogicNinja posted:

Being banned from the Giant in the Playground forums way back in the day is possibly the best internet thing ever to happen to me.

That ever happened three or four times, even.

Sorry, man. That'll never not be funny to me.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

JackMann posted:

That ever happened three or four times, even.

Sorry, man. That'll never not be funny to me.

Yeah, but on the last one, I was, like, "wait. What, exactly, am I getting out of this?" and did not go back and I was free.
Also I think I was out of college by then and had a lot less free time and inclination for that bullshit.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The latest Hagen bullshit.

https://twitter.com/vl_darling/status/948666691801702400

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

What's a "whisper network" in this context?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gourdcaptain posted:

What's a "whisper network" in this context?

quote:

A whisper network is an informal chain of conversations among women about men who need to be watched because of rumors, allegations or known incidents of sexual misconduct, harassment or assault. It’s a way for women to protect themselves, and to do so under the radar. In one way or another, in every major industry and institution, there have been whisper networks helping women to watch out for each other.

The phrase has come up in the context of Weinstein and the #metoo campaign, in the sense that women end up finding out which sex pests are to be avoided via a "whisper network" of other women clandestinely informing them of what's what.

My read is that Hagen is implying that David Hill is sending a posse to harass him, and that Hill's position of "yes you should punch Nazis" is a harbinger of Hill actually being a domestic abuser, and that he heard about it through a "whisper network".

It's kind of audacious for how impressively bullshit it is.

EDIT: Later in that twitter thread, Hill says his own wife refuted the claims. Oh and that CA Suleiman is backing up Hagen on this. What a shitshow.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 4, 2018

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Holy poop balls.

"I was very vague about saying he's a domestic abuser therefore and so forth."

ffffffffuckkkkkk

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

The phrase has come up in the context of Weinstein and the #metoo campaign, in the sense that women end up finding out which sex pests are to be avoided via a "whisper network" of other women clandestinely informing them of what's what.

My read is that Hagen is implying that David Hill is sending a posse to harass him, and that Hill's position of "yes you should punch Nazis" is a harbinger of Hill actually being a domestic abuser, and that he heard about it through a "whisper network".

It's kind of audacious for how impressively bullshit it is.

EDIT: Later in that twitter thread, Hill says his own wife refuted the claims. Oh and that CA Suleiman is backing up Hagen on this. What a shitshow.

Yeah. My wife demanded he apologize. Because, like, I don’t abuse her and she doesn’t want people thinking she or my children are victims. He blocked her.

Now he says he knows people I grew up with. Which is so far beyond laughable for like a dozen reasons just off the top of my head.

But it’s okay because he’s got an actual sexual abuser who like twelve women have spoken out about directly defending his honor.

I can’t even.

It’s really weird when people that helped to shape your childhood are personally launching smear campaigns against you. Maybe I can get Clive Barker and Anne Rice to dox me next.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Next, they'll hold a seance and get Gygax to dig up dirt on you.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah, I get the impression it's kind of run out of steam as Pundit became less and less "cryptofascist" and more and more "just plain fascist." There're still some people there with huge Not Mad's for RPGnet, but most of the haters-on that are still there are more focused on being anti-SJW and -leftist in general. It's a lot less funny so I don't go there for chuckles anymore, but I poke my head in every once in a while. They implemented code to hide Pundit's Special Forum from view unless you're logged in, which I'm pretty sure was something they lambasted RPGnet for over Tangency, but I'm sure their reasons were very noble while RPGnet was merely trying to hide their calumnies. (While Tang is also the place where they are Performatively Woke so wouldn't they want people to see it?)

Yeah this is one of the actually lovely things about RPGnet. It's a good policy in general to try to just ignore off-site stuff, but when Old Geezer is just wanking himself silly on RPGSite about how RPGnet is just a bunch of rubes he's being polite to who'll buy his book (any day now!) and then he'll finally be able to tell them all what to do with his pee-hole, it's a lot harder to respect how far they're willing to go to uphold that principle.

The melt-down of that one blogger dude who caught a perma for talking on his blog about finding and punching the mods was pretty great, though.

Old Geezer has to be the saddest loser in the annuals of tabletop history; a pathetic drunk who’s still riding the coattails of a dead man who let him sit in on a D&D game when he was a tween. He’s the literal “kid brother who was there because Mom said I had to let him play”, getting by on the attention of sycophants who hang on his word like he washed Christ’s feet at that wood-panel 70’s Wisconsin basement.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 4, 2018

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

MachineIV posted:

It’s really weird when people that helped to shape your childhood are personally launching smear campaigns against you. Maybe I can get Clive Barker and Anne Rice to dox me next.

I don't know about Clive Barker but as far as I know the easiest way to raise Anne Rice's ire is to publicly criticise her work.

Also, Jesus loving Christ.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

moths posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to transition since you basically assume your spirit's form? Guy turns into a wolf, wolf turns back into a sexy lady, job's done.

I also distinctly remember an amputee werewolf.

Depends. WtA werewolves aren't just spirits, they're genetically different from regular humans. I get where they're coming from, as their healing rates should make gender reassignment difficult, but that was never an issue for Garou in their breed form. So homids should be fine for reassignment.

Honestly, were it me doing the design, I'd just stick it in as a Gift. Tons of background mythology you can tie it to, from Loki's shapeshifting antics to Two-spirit people in native American and First Nations myth, or just animal spirits of frogs or eels who change gender naturally.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

MachineIV posted:

Yeah. My wife demanded he apologize. Because, like, I don’t abuse her and she doesn’t want people thinking she or my children are victims. He blocked her.

Now he says he knows people I grew up with. Which is so far beyond laughable for like a dozen reasons just off the top of my head.

But it’s okay because he’s got an actual sexual abuser who like twelve women have spoken out about directly defending his honor.

I can’t even.

Hey for what it's worth it's 100% some absolute bullshit you gotta go through all this. It sucks, and I wish this industry wasn't...this.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

ProfessorCirno posted:

Hey for what it's worth it's 100% some absolute bullshit you gotta go through all this. It sucks, and I wish this industry wasn't...this.

Thanks. And yeah, same.

potatocubed posted:

I don't know about Clive Barker but as far as I know the easiest way to raise Anne Rice's ire is to publicly criticise her work.

Also, Jesus loving Christ.

Yeah actually a friend of mine had Rice go after her a while ago. That was... something. Barker seems cool from all my experience. I think my weirdest experience with celebrity or pseudo celebrity internet nonsense was watching Billy Corgan go after a trans friend. It was really bad. I had Adam Baldwin sick his alt-right goons on me about six months before he became a big name for GamerGate.

The internet’s such a great place. You know, everyone’s just so accessible.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
because he's too modest to do it himself, I'm going to shill for him: David Hill's iHunt is about Uber, but for killing vampires. The setting is extremely contemporary, the protagonist isn't cliched, and there's an economic horror aspect that's just as if not more scary than the supernatural beasts. It's the most 2017 book I ever read and I recommend it.

(a sequel is also coming Soon, if I'm not mistaken)

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

because he's too modest to do it himself, I'm going to shill for him: David Hill's iHunt is about Uber, but for killing vampires. The setting is extremely contemporary, the protagonist isn't cliched, and there's an economic horror aspect that's just as if not more scary than the supernatural beasts. It's the most 2017 book I ever read and I recommend it.

(a sequel is also coming Soon, if I'm not mistaken)

Aw thank you so much. I’m glad you liked it—it’s kind of like my take on Hunter: The Vigil/Buffy: The Vampire Slayer flavored by every bullshit article about millennials killing X, Y, and Z. I just decided to do a book about a millennial that kills monsters to make ends meet because it’s tough as poo poo to be poor.

And ACTUALLY, I just released a sequel on December 31st, because I told myself I was going to release another goddamned book in 2017. It’s called Mayhem in Movieland, and it’s a ghost story inspired by my time working at Disneyland, and the weird urban legends that pop up around theme parks. Specifically the weird story about the skull in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I mean, what's not believable about groundless, vague implications of accusations from a man that rabidly defended CA Suleiman's "intense gaze"?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mors Rattus posted:

It was, in essence: 'we have neither knowledge nor control over what goes on at White Wolf, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of our parent company, just like we are.'

Yeah, I sent an e-mail to Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive (who are the owners of White Wolf), regarding my concerns re: y'know who. He disavowed responsibility and politely directed me to the head of White Wolf. It took me quite a bit to even find contact information for Tobias Sjögren, CEO of White Wolf, and he sent a polite but dismissive "thank you for your feedback" response, and that was that.

Kurieg posted:

Paradox Interactive, the Video Game Publishing Company, owns White Wolf Publishing, which at this point is just a husk holding IP rights and has not done any publishing itself. Paradox Development Studios is also a wholly owned subsidiary and make the EU/HOI/CK/Stellaris games.

Nah, they've published things from other studios like Arrowhead, Colossal Order, and Obsidian, amongst others. They are a publisher.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

What did Tollymain do/not do to become a nigh suicidal TG pariah anyways?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The online community is the one that should bend to your will and not the other way around. Be the "Big Wolf" and scoff at the pitiful mewling "Small Wolf's". That's an excerpt of my book to come: "Big Wolf Mindset"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I was clarifying that wwp is an IP shell owned by a publishing house, that is not the people who make the video games. But they did own a subsidiary with almost the same name.

Or to put it another way "the eu4 guys have absolutely no say over what swedracula says, but they good still be tasked to make a WoD game rather easily."

• Locked thread