Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
:siren: LIQUID NITROGEN UPDATE :siren:

So the liquid nitrogen dewar I bought a few pages back that stirred up some curiosity arrived last week and I got it filled up on Friday to play around with it at our New Years Eve party. I did a few things with it. I froze Captain Crunch Berries to make "dragon's breath" where when you bite into it you can blow out "smoke", I made Dippin' Dots by using squeeze bottles full of two different ice cream bases and probably the most interesting, I filled a cream whipper with the ice cream base and froze it in a chilled ladle. It flash freezes the outside of it into a shell and leaves the inside as a mousse/sauce. I topped it with a fresh raspberry syrup I made as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

That is truly inspiring and awesome.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

That is truly inspiring and awesome.

Thanks, I had a ton of fun with it and I'm pretty happy I finally bought one. I'm actually going completely nuts and flying it with me (empty) in my checked luggage on Saturday to help cook for a belated Christmas dinner. I actually had to call all around where I'm going to find a welding supply place that would fill it for me on a Saturday. They're actually having a guy meet me there just to fill it because the guy thought what I was doing was funny.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Put your dick in it

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

All solid choices.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

That'll be a hell of a show. I've seen them play separately and both shows were incredible. Jerry Only has awesome stage presence.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

cyberia posted:

That'll be a hell of a show. I've seen them play separately and both shows were incredible. Jerry Only has awesome stage presence.

Danzig on vocals, Jerry on bass, Doyle on guitar, and Dave loving Lombardo from Slayer on drums. The sound was poo poo, I was three rows from the ceiling, the opening act was boring. Danzig's voice was blown before they even hit the stage. They took a two-minute break after every song, during which Glenn ranted hoarsely about stuff that I couldn't hear, and by the end of the gig, he sounded like Grandpa Simpson. But every motherfucking person in that arena sang along to every motherfucking song, even if it was just the "WHOOOOOOOAAAAA"s.

It was a blast.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I bought a new battery for my iPhone 6. Changing the battery really does make it move a lot faster.

Also, I don’t have to plug it up every hour or so.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Is that the real bar code?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

LOL

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:hai:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Smashing Link posted:

Hey guys, I'm gonna go see the Misfits now.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Smashing Link posted:

Nnnnnope.

Slimy Hog posted:

Hey guys, I'm gonna go see the Misfits now.

After you do, I would love to borrow your time machine.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Smashing Link posted:

Maybe not, be but it's just interleaved 2 of 9, and the necessary characters are right there to generate your own barcode with that font.

Just gotta be the first ones to the show :cop:

Oh man, this opens up a whole new world of free shows from Craigslist ads!

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just gotta be the first ones to the show :cop:

...The show which has already happened. poo poo, did they invent a working time machine, and nobody told me?

At any rate, thanks for letting me know that I wasn't adequately masking my information. I'll keep it in mind the next time I decide to share pix of tix to shows I've gone to.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Someone stealing your tickets is less of a problem now with RFID. I worked Day for Night last year in box office both days of the festival and the original purchaser of any ticket could show up and re-issue the armband based on their ID. Eventbrite was handling the ticketing and it all went very smoothly.

Oddhair has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Jan 5, 2018

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Just wondering cause at minor league games I go to they don't even look at the ticket info, just scan the barcode.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Wanted my own upright for about 15 years, finally found a great one for a great price. It's an Engelhardt ES1 Supreme. Plays and sounds great, and my jazz chops have held up since college pretty well

Also got a sous vide and made some fantastic fuckin' ribeye

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Wanted my own upright for about 15 years, finally found a great one for a great price. It's an Engelhardt ES1 Supreme. Plays and sounds great, and my jazz chops have held up since college pretty well

That's a beautiful instrument. Congratulations! I always get extremely jazzed at the idea of someone's years-long wish coming true.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Hard to tell with that pic's white balance, but that steak looks like it has a pretty small gradient. Good job. :waycool:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sous vides are pure loving magic. I wasn’t convinced for a long time but it’s legit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hell yes they are. Did a 24 hour pot roast, pork butt, and chuck tender roast. Smoked the pork butt and seared the tender roast. Everything I make with it is suddenly the best meat I've ever cooked. Basically fool proof too. If you can put meat in a bag for a while then put it over high heat for like 30 seconds, you're gold.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just bought a pile of Chinese food.

sssssssgonna be good.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Fine. Then what is the best Sous vides to buy?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowmankilla posted:

We got the 800 watt Bluetooth Anova. I have no idea how you could get a better price to quality combo. It’s fantastic.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

There's a whole thread about sous vide in GWS! Two popular immersion circulator models are the Anova and the Joule. The Anova is larger and noisier but can be operated stand-alone (no smart phone or app required). The Joule is the iPhone of sous vide and is remarkably tiny and quiet (at least with the water output port submerged) but requires a companion app to function.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

We got the 800 watt Bluetooth Anova. I have no idea how you could get a better price to quality combo. It’s fantastic.

That’s what I got. Love it. I use it with a huge stainless steel stockpot and put tin foil on top and wrap a towel around it for insulation/condensation. Uses very little electricity to maintain temps if you do it this way.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Oneiros posted:

There's a whole thread about sous vide in GWS! Two popular immersion circulator models are the Anova and the Joule. The Anova is larger and noisier but can be operated stand-alone (no smart phone or app required). The Joule is the iPhone of sous vide and is remarkably tiny and quiet (at least with the water output port submerged) but requires a companion app to function.

Since I hardly ever cook I've been keeping my eye on this sous vide stuff for a while. I've had food poisoning before though so I still haven't tried it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Since I hardly ever cook I've been keeping my eye on this sous vide stuff for a while. I've had food poisoning before though so I still haven't tried it.

I’ve been cooking sous vide for years, originally with a pot, gas stove, candy thermometer, and ziplock bags, and i’ve never gotten food poisoning from it! In fact, depending on what you’re cooking, temperature, and time you can effectively pasteurize a lot of things that would otherwise be dodgy using traditional cooking methods. As long as you’re not leaving food in lukewarm water baths for hours there’s not many ways things can go wrong unique to sous vide.

You don’t even need to shell out for an immersion circulator. A stove capable of modest temperature stability and a good thermometer are all you need to get started.

The first time you have a good ribeye steak (if you’re into meat) done properly sous vide it’ll be a revelation. And the things you can do to eggs with that kind of temperature control...

<edit> contribution!

Comandante coffee grinder for traveling and when I want to experiment with new beans/roasts without having change my main grinder. Fantastic grinder, actually been doing my morning espresso with it for the past few weeks.

Also I bought a bunch of spoons. Demitasse spoons, soup spoons, iced tea spoons... No longer will I have to suffer the indignity of using the wrong spoon for the job! Now if only I had the drawer space for all these spoons...

Oneiros has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Jan 6, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:homebrew:

On the other hand I got it in Hong Kong so it was way cheaper than back in europe. This is actually sound financial decision, I'm sure.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bought some shoes

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you really tie your shoes like that

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nope, need to re-lace them, haven’t worn them yet

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

From the last day of the steam sale. It aged like poo poo, but it's still the best elder scrolls game. I got a bunch of mods and it feels like I'm home again.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mobby_6kl posted:

:homebrew:

On the other hand I got it in Hong Kong so it was way cheaper than back in europe. This is actually sound financial decision, I'm sure.

Depends if you justified the trip out there on the basis that you'd get this lens cheaper.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Dick Trauma posted:

The thing about Sous Vide is that it does kill bacteria and other microbes even though it's below the 165°f safety threshold. 165°f is the temperature that is decreed as "safe" because most bacterial life can only survive at that temperature for less than 20 seconds.

But as you lower the temperature bacteria will be able to survive longer; which is why it's risky to cook something at low temperatures. Which is why you don't want a pan-fried chicken breast to be at 140°f. However, "longer" doesn't mean indefinitely, you just need to give the heat enough time to kill off enough bacteria to keep food safe. And the time it takes decreases exponentially as you increase the heat. For example, as long as you have a chicken breast above 135°f then chances are you'll kill off enough microbes in an hour and a half. At 140°f it'll take less than half an hour, and at 145°f it's less than 10 minutes.

With Sous Vide you are usually looking at cook times that are at least an hour and above 140°f. So you shouldn't have any worries about food poisoning as long as the food is cooked properly.

Now for content;

Bought this on the 26th but it finally arrived today; now I can actually listen to podcasts in the shower rather than guess what's being said through my 5w speaker. Plus with the built-in chromecast my roomates won't have to leave their own individual speakers in the bathroom.

And to listen to podcasts in my living room actually hear what's going on in movies. But it has built in chromecast too, so I guess I can listen to podcasts while I'm cleaning or something. This was bought on the 26th too, and delivered today as well. But it was sent to my (costco membership owning) brother's house, so I'm not actually recieving it until Sunday.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Link to that system? I’ve been looking for a wireless system for our projector.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Also got a sous vide and made some fantastic fuckin' ribeye

Ribeye is so good done sous vide. I have 8 filet mignon steaks bagged up with truffle and Cabernet salts and herbs right now waiting for the puddle later today. Also doing take two on liquid nitrogen dessert fuckery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Re: Sous vide and good safety, this article is fantastic and has a time/temp chart that I use pretty often.

https://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/magazine-archive1/februarymarch-2004/the-danger-zone-reevaluated/

tl,dr: FDA safe means a one in ten million survival rate for food borne pathogens. Apart from a couple of laboratory strains, they start to die off slowly at about 125 degrees F. (Lab grade botulism I think survives up to 130, but that’s not something you’d really find in food off the shelf.)

At 165 degrees, you kill off that many bacteria in under a second. You can go as low as 125 and have perfectly safe food, but the rate is exponential, so a 125 degree steak takes about seven hours to be as sterile as one cooked to 165.

Bonus: This also means you can sterilize some things without actually cooking them, like eggs for safe raw cookie dough! :science:

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jan 6, 2018