Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ratatozsk posted:

They're stepping stones, not avoiding stones.
I vaguely remember Nexus being totally useless, a real trash-tier discipline... so maybe we can actually get it working here!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jackard posted:

I vaguely remember Nexus being totally useless, a real trash-tier discipline... so maybe we can actually get it working here!?
I remember being able to swim through boiling hot water and surviving deadly fire like it was nothing. The most worthless skill in most tiers of Lone Wolf power is i think animal control.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

achtungnight posted:

Walk on the ocean, step on the stones...
They're such an obvious trap that they can't possibly be a trap, right?

Castle Death posted:

The relief is instantaneous. Quickly you move from one stone to the next until you arrive at the shadowy opening in the wall. Echoing in the darkness, you hear the rustle and slither of unseen things. Suddenly something round and black breaks through the surface of the lake, splitting the night with its hideous cry. It hovers for a few seconds above the water before hurtling towards you at an unnerving speed.

Healing: +1 EP (22/32).
Well, we could take cover in the fissure (with the slithering things) or we could prepare to fight the evil beach ball. On the other hand, we do have a bow, should we wish to use it...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Let's throw the bow at it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I have a bow. I sweep the sky with it.

Sorry goons, Bayek’s line from Assassins’ Creed Origins is too badass IMO not to use.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Use the Bow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Castle Death posted:

Only the faint green light of the power-shield illuminates your moving target. You notch an Arrow and take careful aim as it speeds up the beach, weaving in and out of the boulders that litter its path.

Healing: +1 EP (23/32).

The Arrow pierces the centre of the sphere and disappears completely. Fearing that your missile has proved harmless, you shoulder your Bow and are about to draw a hand weapon when suddenly there is a flash of light and a tremendous explosion. The black sphere bursts into thousands of pieces and is consumed in a fireball of brilliant yellow flame. A wave of heat sears your face (lose 1 ENDURANCE point) and you are hurled backwards into the fissure by the blast.

Endurance: 22/32.

It takes a few minutes for you to get your bearings in the gloom of the narrow corridor. Outside, strange sounds echo across the beach, making you forget your natural caution and move deeper into the darkness. The uneven floor is coated with mud, and the warm, moist air reeks with a repugnant odour that reminds you of gutted fish. You press on, taking great pains not to slip and fall, but the light soon fades completely and you slow to a halt.

Healing: +1 EP (23/32).

Your Firesphere flares brightly in the moist gloom of the passage. A cavern lies immediately ahead, its high-arched roof a mass of dripping stalactites, hanging like thick spears of pearly white stone. Cautiously, you step across the cavern floor, your skin prickling, as peculiar sounds emanate from the shadows.

You wind your way through the labyrinth of tunnels, slipping on moss-covered rocks, grazing your head on low ceilings, and scrambling up and down steep ridges and rockfalls until you arrive at a smooth-walled chamber carved with precision from the hard black rock. A staircase ascends through an archway to your left, and directly ahead stands a massive stone door.

Healing: +1 EP (24/32).
Do we investigate the door or the staircase?

With weaponmastery and the silver bow we had only a 10% chance of missing that shot. We now have four arrows remaining.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Investigate the door.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Check the door

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Stairs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

Check the door
Doors are always intriguing.

Castle Death posted:

At first glance, the door looks completely smooth: no locks, bars, rivets, or hinges mar its polished surface. However, a closer examination reveals a tiny keyhole set near to the floor.

Healing: +1 EP (25/32).

Your basic Kai skills tell you that the lock that secures the door is magical, not mechanical, in nature. All attempts to discover its secret are blocked by the spell that shields the lock. Reluctantly, you abandon the door and leave the chamber by the stairs.

Healing: +1 EP (26/32).

The staircase seems to continue forever, coiling its way upwards through the solid rock, but eventually you arrive at a landing from which a tunnel stretches into darkness. You are about to enter, when your basic Kai instincts alert you to a shallow step that crosses from one side of the tunnel to the other. A closer look reveals the step to be a perfect square of marble that covers the first ten feet of the tunnel.

Healing: +1 EP (27/32).
Do we poke the slab with a stick (or sword), jump over it or walk across it?

The door requires a gold key, which we might have acquired had we gone to the bay instead of the jetty. This book is pretty convoluted so it's quite easy to get here without the key or get the key and then never see the door. I've played it a ton and I'm not even sure what the best path is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Sure, poke it, what can go wrong?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Jump over it.

If we act like Mario enough, perhaps we’ll learn the Lorestone is in another castle not known as Castle Death.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Jump over the slab.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

Sure, poke it, what can go wrong?
I'm always a fan of poking things with sticks.

Castle Death posted:

No matter how hard you prod the slab it shows no sign of movement, but your probing does uncover something previously hidden beneath the dust. Carefully you scrape away the grime until the outline of a coiled snake is revealed, etched deep into the dull grey marble. Carved in the centre of its scaly coils is the number 123. Make a note of this number in the margin of your Action Chart—it could be of use at a later stage of your adventure.

Healing: +1 EP (28/32).
Well, that's interesting, but we still have to decide whether to jump over it or walk across it.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 6, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Jump the snake.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Jump the snake. That sounds like something an adult would do. In the privacy of their own room.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Castle Death posted:

You clear the slab with one bound and press on along the winding tunnel. A warm, damp wind whistles along the rough-walled passage, carrying with it a rancid smell of sulphur and decay. For over an hour you walk down the tunnel, leaping over fissures in the uneven floor and taking care not to tread on glistening blue-black worms that slither away into cracks in the rock when your light invades their damp, dark world.

Eventually the tunnel opens out into an oval-shaped chamber. A staircase, festooned with cobwebs, ascends to an open trap door in the ceiling. The familiar pale green glow of the power-shield filters in through this portal. At the foot of the stairs lies the mouldering remains of a body partially encased in armour. A rusty sword is clenched in its skeletal fist, and a bone-handled dagger protrudes from the base of its skull.

Healing: +1 EP (29/32).
Do we try the trap door, continue along the tunnel, or stop and take a look at the skellington?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

:yohoho:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Examine Dem Bones.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Even though pulverizing the skeleton on sight isn't an answer, look at it.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Take a look at the skeleton. It could still present the signs of whatever killed him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

pulverizing the skeleton on sight
Last time we did that it was just a perfectly harmless dead guy.

Guy Fawkes posted:

It could still present the signs of whatever killed him.
The dagger through the skull might be a clue.

Castle Death posted:

You recognize the dead man’s hauberk as that of a Kakushi mercenary: the ten-pointed star of Nikesa, the symbol of that country’s capital city, adorns each of the rusty buckles that fasten his chainmail armour. In a leather pouch hanging from his belt you discover 6 Gold Crowns, and inside the tattered remains of his backpack, there is a Rope and a hooded Red Robe.

A close examination of the weapons shows them both to be quite useless: the bone-handled dagger crumbles to dust when you try to dislodge it from the corpse’s skull, and the blade of the sword is dull and eaten by rust.

Healing: +1 EP (30/32).
  1. We'll take the money, and we've got plenty of backpack space, so do we take the rope, the robe, or both?
  2. Do we now try the trapdoor or the tunnel?

We now have 30 Gold Crowns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"Always take a Rope if you don't have a Rope" should be Rule 1 of these books. Take the Robe as well, the Pretend To Be An Evil Cultist possibilities are too obvious to overlook.

Go through the trapdoor, it seems to work.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Take the Rope and keep walking.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Take all and take tunnel.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Loot all possible things and follow the tunnel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

"Always take a Rope if you don't have a Rope" should be Rule 1 of these books. Take the Robe as well, the Pretend To Be An Evil Cultist possibilities are too obvious to overlook.
I thought rule one was "we have a bow and we wish to use it".

I assume this is a vote for the tunnel.

Castle Death posted:

The cloying smell of damp and decay grows steadily stronger, and you are forced to cover your nose with your cloak to block out the sickly stench. The tunnel twists to the right, and you notice a small iron door set into the wall ahead and a narrow staircase descending into the gloom.

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).
Shall we go downstairs or try the door?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiggum posted:

I thought rule one was "we have a bow and we wish to use it".

We don't always have a Bow or the chance to use it. Rope seems to crop up in every book.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Try the door.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Door.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Stairs

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Door.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maybe this one won't be locked.

Castle Death posted:

The door is locked, but the mechanism is so rusted that it crumbles under the slightest pressure. Inside is a squalid little room filled with barrels, crates, and dusty bottles of wine, all sour. On a damp wooden bench lies a Short Sword, and beside it a plain circular Shield (if you wish to take either of these items, remember to mark them on your Action Chart, the Shield is a Special Item which adds 2 points to your COMBAT SKILL when used in combat).

Healing: +1 EP (32/32).
We already have a shield and can't use a second one. Should we keep searching or leave this room and head downstairs?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Keep lootingsearching

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
No sign of worthy loot in the vicinity? Continue the search efforts!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
DUAL SHIELDING :black101:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Redouble out looting efforts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

DUAL SHIELDING :black101:

No weapon, just holding two shields in front of yourself and charging at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Castle Death posted:

Taking hold of a crate, you pull open the lid as easily as if you were tearing the peel from an overripe orange. The damp timber crumbles in your hands, falling on the tarnished pewter plates lying within. Your boot staves in the side of another crate, and you hear the dull crunch of shattered porcelain. This one is full of old Kakushi vases, part of a cargo from a trading barge that sank on the reef over a decade ago.

You are about to leave when something unusual catches your eye: the tip of a cylindrical map case is jutting out from behind an empty cask. Unlike everything else in this foul room, it is both dry and quite new. Flipping the brass catch, you tip the contents into your palm: a small piece of parchment and a Diamond (you may keep this Special Item in your pocket). A snake with one large eye is drawn in red ink on the parchment. It is coiled around the number 123. Make a note of this number in the margin of your Action Chart—it may be of use to you later in your adventure.

Satisfied that there is nothing else of use or interest in the room, you leave and press on towards the stairs.

Descending the narrow staircase, you arrive at a tunnel-like corridor, sandwiched between two walls of mouldering masonry. Foul, oily water gurgles along a channel in the slippery floor towards a distant archway, which is blocked by a black iron portcullis. Bolted to the criss-crossed bars is a plaque which bears a curious design:¹

On the wall to your left is a large, rusty dial with a brass pointer. Set around it, like the numerals of a clock, are the numbers 1 to 40, and below the dial is a lever. Your basic Kai instincts tell you that by selecting the correct number, or numbers, and pulling the lever, you will open the portcullis.

You ponder the problem for several minutes, using your natural Kai instincts to the full as you try to discover which of the numbers on the dial will open the portcullis. The image of four numbers—three, nine, thirteen, and thirty-three—fill your mind, but try as you might, you cannot determine which of them is correct.

¹ For those who cannot use the illustration of the plaque or those who don’t have access to it, we offer the following description.
The plaque can be formed in the following way. A regular hexagon (i.e. a six-sided shape with all sides of equal length and all angles equal) is divided into six equal triangles by three lines which extend from each corner to its opposite (i.e. one line for each of three pairs of opposite corners). A larger triangle is formed from the hexagon by placing three triangles (of the same size and shape as the triangles in the hexagon) next to three alternating sides of the hexagon (i.e. if the sides of the hexagon are numbered 1–6, then the sides of the triangles should be attached to sides 2, 4, and 6).
Alternately, the plaque could be formed from equilateral triangles (i.e. triangles with three equal sides) in the following way. A single triangle is placed on the plaque with one of its corners pointing down. Three new triangles are attached to the sides of the first triangle. The result so far should resemble a large triangle with one corner pointing up. Two more small triangles (pointing down) are attached to the bottom of this large triangle. Finally, three new triangles (pointing up) are attached to the latest two so that, all together, the plaque forms one large triangle.
The final, triangular plaque has five interlocking rows of small triangles. Starting from the top, it has a row of one triangle pointing up, a row of one triangle pointing down, a row of two triangles pointing up, a row of two triangles pointing down, and a row of three triangles pointing up.
  1. Do we keep the diamond? (We already have one)
  2. Shall we try three, nine, thirteen or thirty-three?

It's weird that the Project Aon instructions for those who can't see the illustration instruct you to draw the diagram upside-down.