Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/169230027125/things-reported-as-commercial-successes-and

Someone asked the Ask A Game Dev guy about games that were secretly financial success/failures, his go to example of financial boondoggle?

shocking

I sense a pattern emerging here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm filling out paperwork for a surgery, and there is a question that says "Do you have an internal nerve stimulator?" I asked my wife what that was, and she said, "Apparently this clinic gets a lot of patients from the Stimpire."

:eyepop:
Does your wife work on one of those invigilation teams, by any chance?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

Nothing Works on PTU

It's been five years and fifteen days
Since you took my pledge away
I stream every night and sleep all day
Since you took my pledge away

Since 3.0 I can do whatever I want
I can clip through anywhere I want
I can eat my dinner in a fancy wankpod
But nothing
I said nothing can take away these blues
'Cause nothing ever works
Nothing works on PTU

It's been so lonely without your patch
Since the netcode's wrong
Nothing can stop this framerate from falling
Tell me CIG where did you go wrong

I could play many games on Steam
But they'd only remind me of you
I went to Chris Roberts and guess what he told me?
Guess what he told me?
He said girl your money's all gone
No matter what you do, but he's a fool
'Cause nothing ever works
Nothing works on the PTU

All the features that you promised MoMa
On the forum
You lied every night and day
I know that dealing with Derek is sometimes hard
But here he comes with another blog
'Cause nothing works
Nothing works on the PTU

Nothing works
Nothing works on the PTU
Nothing works
Nothing works on the PTU

:golfclap:

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
I found a good post in the SC thread on the FD forums. It sums up how I think CryTek feel about CIG/RSI:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/396642-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v8?p=6265762&viewfull=1#post6265762

quote:

Yeah, more likely it's just money and protecting the value of their IP: CR burned them bad and basically spent years and millions of dollars marketing the fact that Crytek wasn't good enough to pull off cutting edge video games at a time when Crytek was going through a lot of trouble and really didn't need the additional shivs stuck in the ribs. An echo chamber of posts pointing out the limitations of CryEngine across dozens of sites with hundreds of pemutations of "well it's been changed so much it's StarEngine actually" has got to be infuriating. Quite a lot of backstabbing involved considering they worked with him when the rest of the industry laughed in his face at the idea of a new CR game. For what? To have their very name edited out, their flagship product demeaned, and their licensing agreements broken with smug indifference.

"And this time it's personal..."

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
So. The deadline's past, has CIG filed any kind of response or have they made Skadden's job super easy?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Two weeks

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

So. The deadline's past, has CIG filed any kind of response or have they made Skadden's job super easy?

Skadden posted an amendment to their complaint yesterday, CIG has another 14 days to reply now.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

Skadden posted an amendment to their complaint yesterday, CIG has another 14 days to reply now.

Skadden posted:

56. Defendants intentionally breached the GLA by using CryEngine to market, develop, and incentivize funding for more than one game, thereby enriching itself of millions of dollars without payment for such use.

57. Defendants further intentionally breached the GLA by refusing to provide agreed upon annual bug fixes and optimizations to CryEngine.

58. Defendants further intentionally breached the GLA by, among other things, removing Crytek's trademarks and copyright notices from the Star Citizen video game and related marketing materials.

59. Defendants further intentionally breached the GLA by breaking their promise to exclusively use CryEngine in the Star Citizen video game.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/i/intent-to-defraud/

Am I getting this right?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

A+ shitposting brought to you buy fuckitall

Awesome.....this will look great next to my Aberfan LEGO diorama.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Are Amazon also obliged to kick back any Lumberyard tweaks to Crytek?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Skadden posted:

Crytek is further entitled to recover from Defendants all of the gains, profits, and advantages they have obtained as a result of the infringement, and for disgorgement of any additional gains, profits, and advantages Defendants obtained that are attributable to their infringement of the CryEngine computer program in an amount to be proven at trial, together with attorneys' fees and costs pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §§ 504 and 505

I like this. I really do.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

'We own your gains, bra' - Cucktek

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Are Amazon also obliged to kick back any Lumberyard tweaks to Crytek?
No, they bought the rights to the engine outright rather than licensing it from Crytek. Which they could do because Crytek had bet their financial existence on reinvigorated interest in licensing their engine through the release of a massively popular space fighter game in 2015.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Ghostlight posted:

No, they bought the rights to the engine outright rather than licensing it from Crytek. Which they could do because Crytek had bet their financial existence on reinvigorated interest in licensing their engine through the release of a massively popular space fighter game in 2015.

They say hindsight is 20/20 but even in this case 2020 is a release date too soon.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

boviscopophobic posted:

Private Browser in Firefox, I don't know if that gets rid of all the tracking or not:

This is amazing

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
CIG can finally say that the lawsuit happening is years, months but 2 Weeks!

Which leads us to the prophetic fulfillment of The July Blog

https://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/07/star-citizen-fps-module-delayed-by-weeks-not-months/

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/271173/some-thoughts-on-concerns/p1

banditloaf posted:

“I will say that we are talking about a delay of weeks and not months/years/decades. Certainly, I hope not to be pushing folks for weekly updates very soon. 🙂 (And to answer the inevitable question: why don’t we give an internal target date right now? Because the worry is that we might find ourselves in exactly the same position when the current set of issues are resolved. We’re at a point in the process where we believe we know exactly what to do.”

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I just don't understand lawsuit development, I guess. But if it results in a complete ELE, I guess I'm willing to believe.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

boviscopophobic posted:

Private Browser in Firefox, I don't know if that gets rid of all the tracking or not:

This is real

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

New to thread. Just wanted to point out that I laughed at

quote:

we have enough toxicity already for a group of people who all want the same thing. :)

because how can you be so dense.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/215225889?t=04h13m48s

:gary:

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

Update: just finished reading and while I could go through the effort of sourcing my quotes, there are just too many defensive nu-uh'ing that I went from giggling to cringing my face. I'm kind of disappointingly sad that I dropped this game before knowing all the drama, way back in the ol' days where me and my friend would drunk pretend to be the worst space pirates in the galaxy and yet still ended up pretty successful (at least for all that we had to go on).

Also Vanguard is still unavailable??? I wanted that ship years ago but didn't want to buy an unplayable ship. Half a bullet dodged I guess???

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

rubberrazors posted:

Update: just finished reading and while I could go through the effort of sourcing my quotes, there are just too many defensive nu-uh'ing that I went from giggling to cringing my face. I'm kind of disappointingly sad that I dropped this game before knowing all the drama, way back in the ol' days where me and my friend would drunk pretend to be the worst space pirates in the galaxy and yet still ended up pretty successful (at least for all that we had to go on).

Also Vanguard is still unavailable??? I wanted that ship years ago but didn't want to buy an unplayable ship. Half a bullet dodged I guess???

Welcome back Commando, it's never too late to get back on this slowmo train wreck.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Catching up finally on Silicon Valley, I can't help but imagine this being CRobblers in 10 years time or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1w5R2PGCb4

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
I wonder what advice professor Gundolph is giving to his Brother Ortwin right now?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

EightAce posted:

I wonder what advice professor Gundolph is giving to his Brother Ortwin right now?

What happened to Bugsmashers?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

sauveur

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheAgent posted:

also in new years news I've decided to cut back drinking (specifically day drinking)

farewell, many drunken SC discussion lunches

I will miss you

HONO. Does it at least means love pledge will come faster ?

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

no_recall posted:

Welcome back Commando, it's never too late to get back on this slowmo train wreck.

I want to get back on it, more because where is my space sim but also man what a lolcow train wreck this is.

Also, I want to get on Silicon Valley. I heard it was great and everyone else says "yeah it's great".

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

A+ shitposting brought to you buy fuckitall

Doxxing nude modeling, you are worse than doxtor Smart.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

TheAgent posted:

I love how CIG has seriously fuckin burned every single motherfucking company they worked with from 2013 to 2016

every single fuckin one

shame that amd letter never made it out to the public. terrible shame.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

intardnation posted:

shame that amd letter never made it out to the public. terrible shame.

One of the many great comedic tragedies to befall this thread.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

rubberrazors posted:

I want to get back on it, more because where is my space sim but also man what a lolcow train wreck this is.

Also, I want to get on Silicon Valley. I heard it was great and everyone else says "yeah it's great".

So far I can deffo say that a) I'm looking forward to watching all of it after 1 and a half season and b) It has some startling parallels that apply to Star Citizen.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

no_recall posted:

So, Skadden amended the complaint rightfully extending the duration (this is part of law war strategy?) in order for more talks to be had behind closed doors? Why though?

might just be laywer trolling. file before Christmas in a jurisdiction that counts weekends and holidays. the accused has to work on a response ruining there holiday. then make a trivial amendment giving them a extra two weeks.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

stinch posted:

might just be laywer trolling. file before Christmas in a jurisdiction that counts weekends and holidays. the accused has to work on a response ruining there holiday. then make a trivial amendment giving them a extra two weeks.

While I do like that theory, isn't updating the charges to allege that the infringements were intentional a fairly big deal?

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Tortolia posted:

While I do like that theory, isn't updating the charges to allege that the infringements were intentional a fairly big deal?

Yeah, it sounds like "we won't settle even if you claim that the breach was an accident"..

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

nnnotime posted:

I don't know why the complaint was amended. But per Hav they won't have behind-the-door talks until the case is formally in motion. From Hav's prior posting:

quote:

No.

The suit has to be acknowledged and counsel submitted for the defense. Then they start horse trading. If you believe a murderbear in a wimple, there will be at least some procedural, but I get the impression that Crytek is going after the marbles, reputation and somehow it's started to feel _personal_.

EDIT: Here's the diff-checker between the original and amended complaint. Apparently there were more differences than I realized (first time I'm seeing the diff-checker)

Hav is wrong. They have attorneys. I know this to be fact.

Just because they haven't responded to the complaint, thus making public the law firm they hired, doesn't mean that they are not having discussions. They DO have legal counsel that's NOT Ortwin - who is a material witness to the lawsuit, seeing as he is named in it as a co-creator, but no longer with a career-ending conflict-of-interest claim hanging over his head.

For one thing, as per sources, Ortwin found an old waiver which was enough to satisfy Skadden that no conflict (on Ortwin's part) existed. He passed it along. Thus prompting that section being removed from the complaint. Though it could have been addressed in the answer to the complaint anyway.

For a shark firm like Skadden to give them an additional :pgabz:Two Weeks:pgabz: grace period when RSI/CIG could simply have addressed the conflict issue in the complaint to me means two things:

During discussions, investigations since the 12/12/17 filing...

1) new things came to light. To wit: the sprinkling of intentionally in the filings indicates that Skadden is of the opinion that RSI/CIG knew they were breaching what they were accused of, but did it anyway. This is very troubling, and is a HUGE Red flag.

2) the talks which broke down between RSI/CIG and Crytek this past year thus leading to the lawsuit filing, resumed when the lawsuit was filed. So with powerful lawyers in the mix, Crytek has more teeth to enforce what it is they were asking for this past year of going back and forth.

So yeah, they are definitely talking. And if they settle the matter within the next 14 days, their response would be either a brief one to say the matter is settled, or they deny the whole thing in toto, then file the notice that the matter is settled.

At this point, and from what I am hearing, I have no reason to believe that it will settle. At least not within the next 14 days.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So yet again the thread will be blue balled when nothing comes of it, gotcha.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

EDIT: Here's the diff-checker between the original and amended complaint. Apparently there were more differences than I realized (first time I'm seeing the diff-checker)

Hav is wrong. They have attorneys. I know this to be fact.

Just because they haven't responded to the complaint, thus making public the law firm they hired, doesn't mean that they are not having discussions. They DO have legal counsel that's NOT Ortwin - who is a material witness to the lawsuit, seeing as he is named in it as a co-creator, but no longer with a career-ending conflict-of-interest claim hanging over his head.

For one thing, as per sources, Ortwin found an old waiver which was enough to satisfy Skadden that no conflict (on Ortwin's part) existed. He passed it along. Thus prompting that section being removed from the complaint. Though it could have been addressed in the answer to the complaint anyway.

For a shark firm like Skadden to give them an additional :pgabz:Two Weeks:pgabz: grace period when RSI/CIG could simply have addressed the conflict issue in the complaint to me means two things:

During discussions, investigations since the 12/12/17 filing...

1) new things came to light. To wit: the sprinkling of intentionally in the filings indicates that Skadden is of the opinion that RSI/CIG knew they were breaching what they were accused of, but did it anyway. This is very troubling, and is a HUGE Red flag.

2) the talks which broke down between RSI/CIG and Crytek this past year thus leading to the lawsuit filing, resumed when the lawsuit was filed. So with powerful lawyers in the mix, Crytek has more teeth to enforce what it is they were asking for this past year of going back and forth.

So yeah, they are definitely talking. And if they settle the matter within the next 14 days, their response would be either a brief one to say the matter is settled, or they deny the whole thing in toto, then file the notice that the matter is settled.

At this point, and from what I am hearing, I have no reason to believe that it will settle. At least not within the next 14 days.
[/quote]

You are wrong on all points.
And your guessing game is as farcical as your avatar.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Toops posted:

I am. This will affect my day job and is already being discussed by product.

https://twitter.com/theregister/status/948342806367518720

Nice meltdown (and spectre)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Until the case is over, there is nothing that stops the two parties from private communication or negotiations. It's just a time/money suck to do so until it's time for forced mediation before trial.

There’s also prejudice because any conversations are sub judacae.

If you walk into a meeting and the other side has counsel, walk out and seek representation.

Not quoting Derek’s bit entirely because i’m on an ipad, but yes, they have legal representation, but they need to answer the complaint, and i’m working on what we know rather than the skinny from inside. The ‘waiver’ for example, should be submitted.

We’re still waiting on a response, and there’s speculation. Derek has been right where i’ve been wrong before, but he’s also fluffed court procedure.

Also, I retain legal services. Mainly because healthcare in the US required a push everytime my kid needed care that the standard services allowed for. It’s not very sexy. But this assumption that the experiences of other people are somehow invalid is the same poo poo that citizens do about the sheer technical experience we have.