Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Barudak posted:

Take a look at sleep for example. While it drops off in utility somewhat quickly in 5th compared to what it did in 3.5, its a first level spell that at level one just basically ends an encounter with the enemy completely unable to do anything about it. The wizard is chock full of spells like this and especially when you start getting to 6th level spells it becomes a real question of what in the hell anyone else at your table is even doing.

For example with that Knock spll, notice that it flatout bypasses an entire gameplay mechanic and the class theoretically designed to specialize in dealing with that mechanic does not have that ability. This is the joy of putting “wizard” down on your character sheet in 3rd or 5th DnD; you have the option at all times to take over the narrative with no chance of failure.
I'm not really seeing it. One player in my group has used Sleep a couple of times and it is helpful, but it doesn't seem to be overpowered at all. It takes out two, maybe three bad guys - temporarily. And only if they're clustered. Their mates can always wake them up and they'll wake up automatically if they get hit by anything else. If you're down to the last couple of guys and they're standing together then sure, you can end it there, but you still have to get to that point, and if you have then you're probably doing OK anyway.

And yeah, Knock does seem overpowered - but only if locks are important. But the fact that they're so easily bypassed essentially means that they can't be important, so it can't be overpowered. Anything's overpowered if the plot's set up to make it be so. But if locks are going to play a huge role in the story and someone gets that spell and starts just bypassing them all then the GM will just change it so that the players need to do something else instead. Or, better still, will anticipate that the players will probably notice there's a 2nd level lockpicking spell and just not treat locks as serious barriers to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unconcious enemies in 5th give an automatic to hit advantage + free critical hit to a melee attacker. At first level versus say a squad of goblins thats barring some truly dire rolling some extremely dead goblins. If you have a theif making a sneak attack on them your odds of not instagibbing them approach 0.

Further, the enemy hit by sleep misses there turn and as written a character has to use a turn action to wake up a sleeping ally thus ruining their turn as well. It completely destroys the action economy.

Even further, it functions off HP of the target, so theres also nothing preventing you from saving it for midway through a battle with a boss and just instantly putting them to sleep and then setting up to alphastrike them or just cast sleep, hit them, cast sleep again.

Regarding Knock: it as a spell isnt overpowered, but it as an option is. Its a spell that warps completely how a table plays as you surmised and it warps it based entirely on whether one player put that on their sheet or not. Its extremely stupidly powerful when you remember that there is an entire class who is supposed to be good at lockpicking who if theyre also at the table will either spend their entire time twiddling their thumbs while the wizard does their job or your game suddenly has so many locks your adventuring party should be a hardware store.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Jan 3, 2018

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
(Final Fantasy 12)

BioMe posted:

Don't forget the rock collecting. It's more like 40-30-30 on political intrigue, picking up magic rocks and getting captured. Or closer to 0-50-50 if you count the scenes the player characters are actually involved and present in. Had the same issue with Tactics. In theory there's this interesting medieval politics/war story going on, except it happens almost completely in the background while you are playing the B-plot. Because collecting magic rocks is a way easier concept to turn into a video game.

Ahh how could I forget rock collecting! And how the evil empire, without fail, turns up outside the remote/sacred/ancient temple immediately as you walk out of it with a shiny new rock every. single. time.

Also yeah, there's been entire plot arcs that have taken place outside of the party's range of knowledge that haven't influenced the group in any meaningful way, and haven't really served a greater purpose plotwise other than "empire = evil".
Several characters have been introduced and killed without ever having interacted with the party at all.

While we're complaining anyway, I've been keeping up to date on all of the sidequest hunts, and thus far the rewards are *very* rarely worth your time. I would argue the only rewards I've actually made regular use of were the "double EXP, LP" accessories, the rest are like, a bit of gil and a marginally improved weapon. Whoopee.

Who wants to bet all the best endgame gear is gated behind having spent 20 hours doing rote kill-the-thing sidequests?

Poulpe has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Jan 3, 2018

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Poulpe posted:

(Final Fantasy 12)
Who wants to bet all the best endgame gear is gated behind having spent 20 hours doing rote kill-the-thing sidequests?

Was FF12 the one where some of the endgame gear was gated behind not opening 4 completely unmarked chests in the game world?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Poulpe posted:

(Final Fantasy 12)

Lucky for you there is no kill x of y quests, and barring some items from the bazaar almost all “endgame gear” are static rewards/chests.

Unlucky for you the game picks up for a bit only to grind to an agonizing halt when you need to do a literal reputation item grind in the imperial capital.

ro5s posted:

Was FF12 the one where some of the endgame gear was gated behind not opening 4 completely unmarked chests in the game world?

One weapon, and while high damage was not the highest nor best weapon, was gated that way. The rerelease removed the chests it was linked to and made it a static item.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Jan 3, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Quantum Break is an alright shooter with neat graphics, but man those 'TV episode' 30 min live action cutscenes are embarrassing. They somehow manage to look unreasonably expensive and completely amateurish all at once.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Dark Souls 3's keyboard and mouse controls really are terrible. They're dragging the game down for me in that I can't stand to play it again until I get a replacement controller.

Tiggum posted:

5th Edition. And if there's some way to make these spells overpowered then I'm not seeing it at all, because every spell and ability all the way up to level twenty seems distinctly underwhelming to me.

I only skim it sometimes, but I'm pretty sure the 5e thread will be happy to spend a few days writing essays to explain, in detail, how those spells are real strong.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Rise of the Tomb Raider has too many collectibles and they're also implemented in the most tedious way possible: there are three different kinds of hidden underground caches that you can only access by finding a map and then backtracking through the level going from map marker to map marker watching the same canned animation of Lara digging up a box and opening it to find a few random crafting doodads or a handful of coins when most of the upgrades they buy require over a hundred of them. Also each hub has "challenges" but they're all just variations of "find X things on the map and shoot them/press a button near them" and if you don't go out of your way to pull up a submenu on your pause screen then you'll probably never realize that, say, the computers that have been indestructible environmental items for the entire game are actually destructible in this one specific area or that the chickens you've been killing for the rest of the game can be picked up and thrown for a single challenge.

The crafting is also kind of borked because all the major upgrades are gated by a single kind of rare animal pelt and the animal skins stop really showing up towards the end of the game unless you backtrack to older hubs. Also the in-game economy hinges almost entirely on whether or not you have the perks that make you get more items, so at the beginning of the game you're constantly scrounging for every possibly twig and feather and then at the end you're constantly maxed out of healing items and special ammo supplies even playing recklessly on the hardest difficulty.

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, it hits a lot of the general original trilogy plot generalities and character roles. The main difference is that Luke is split up into two people: you've got Vaan as the parts of Luke that make him a good audience proxy especially early in the trilogy (comes from nothing to go be a hero, is a poorly-travelled idiot so he gets stuff explained to him, is important for what he does and not just who he is) and Basch as the more superficial parts of Luke that people actually think of when you think about Luke especially later in the trilogy and especially in the EU (badass well-regarded warrior, connection to a heavily present but not ultimate antagonist, and if we count TFA/TLJ some decent facial hair).

When you get into the specifics it's not exact; there's not really a comfortable Obi-Wan figure, Star Wars has no real parallel for Cid, and you're going to struggle to neatly map locational parallels other than Rabanastre = Tatooine and various Imperial airships = the Empire's various big scary space installations. But people aren't pointing out absolutely nothing when they say that FFXII's story is Star Wars.

Also it's set on a desert planet, the plot is driven by an evil empire's giant flying doomsday weapon that is guarded by a large ominous armored man who wields ancient and forgotten power, there's a twist involving the identity of the killer of a main character's family member, one of the major players is a missing princess who throws her support behind the people rebelling against the empire, and a criminal with an airship and a beast person co-pilot serves as the main source of transportation for the heroes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've begun wondering if the coin shop was originally meant to be a in-game real money store. Because not only is collecting the coins a tedious affair, as if that whole scavenger hunt was hastily bolted onto the game last minute, but it's super bizarre to collect arbitrary amounts of ancient coins to trade for a random smattering of gear upgrades, all from some otherwise unimportant bozo stuck in a cabin up on a mountain.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It also let's you more or less sequence break if you save up and spend it all on the grenade launcher upgrade for your rifle well before you get the explosive arrows in the story.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

It also let's you more or less sequence break if you save up and spend it all on the grenade launcher upgrade for your rifle well before you get the explosive arrows in the story.

...which is pretty much the only reason to use a gun instead of the bow and arrow once you upgrade your bow skills. I wound up using guns just for the novelty of them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In defense of FFXII, I think all those items that were in invisible chests with .25% drop rates were less "endgame gear" and more "stupidly OP debug gear that was left in the game as an easter egg".

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

OutOfPrint posted:

4e was good because it's the only edition where the designers realized that, if you're going to design a heavy, combat focused RPG, you should probably make the combat interesting.

My biggest complaint about 4e was that its solution to caster supremacy was to make everyone the caster. Every class is so bloated with options that they ended up making a killing selling flash cards to help you keep track of what you could do. Combat always slowed to a crawl for me because every player was looking stuff up every turn instead of just the rules lawyers.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
4e is really good for the dungeon crawling but for some reason really cut back on the roleplaying. Not saying that that doesn't have its place but it seems like a really odd choice for what it is.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Roleplaying is in the hands of the player not the system. Mechanics which augment roleplaying are Cool and Good but theres nothing from 3e you couldn't roleplay just as well in 4e.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Finally played and completed Neir: Automata with Ending E.
The game just started to feel like it was opening up, but I guess it's over.

Oh well.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The evil within 2 is just 2 spooky for me

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Morglon posted:

4e is really good for the dungeon crawling but for some reason really cut back on the roleplaying. Not saying that that doesn't have its place but it seems like a really odd choice for what it is.

Mind if I pick your brain on this? I've always been really curious why people think this, especially now that I'm running my first 4E game and finding it exactly as roleplay heavy as my friends' usual 5E games.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
there are a lot of people in this thread (and elsewhere) trying to 'logic' people out of not not liking 4e. That's not how it works. If people don't like it, they don't like it.

edit: and a lot of trying to use tumblr tactics to paint people who like other editions as some kind of racist or w/e

Trauma Dog 3000 has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Jan 4, 2018

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

HaB posted:

Started Yakuza 0 over the break. My first Yakuza game.

- the bowling minigame is perhaps the most obtuse bowling game I have ever encountered. The ball aiming part in particular.

Not arguing with the rest of your points but what are you struggling with here? I thought the bowling was pretty straightforward.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

edit: and a lot of trying to use tumblr tactics to paint people who like other editions as some kind of racist or w/e

:what:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

not in this thread, but there's been a lot of mud-slinging at people who like older editions (3.5e in particular) in other places. A lot of vague accusations of being the 'wrong kind of person' without making specific accusations

Trauma Dog 3000 has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Jan 4, 2018

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You say this as if catan isn't complete garbage.

Choose your starting locations, wait twenty minutes to confirm if it was a good idea. Get screwed over by 7s at random so it's impossible to plan long term, wait for death.

Yes, and Space Trucker has designs which ensure better results, vanilla TTA has Napoleon/burned iconoclasm-combo, the SM's Civ has "military academies and 3rd city", Castles of MKL has "buy all stairways", in BSG you waste/conserve fuel over everything else etc.

Most if not all boardgames which are not simply static state machines have some powerplay strategy built into them which dominates unless very specifically played against, and experience will make it easier for you to spot the way to abuse the system.

Catan is easy to teach, quite well-known, easy to play and a good way to get into more advanced strategy/optimization board games. And its not always terrible if you play it with other people; it is also easy to just annoy the poo poo out of the players who consider themselves "too good for this sort of game." Carcassonne is another one, which might be a bit dull in the long run, but it is piss-easy to teach to new players and probably is unlike anything they have played before.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah some older pyf thread had a long discussion about how if you like turn based combat you're racist without ever really explaining why. It was bizarre

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

rodbeard posted:

My biggest complaint about 4e was that its solution to caster supremacy was to make everyone the caster.

What nonsense bullshit is this? I wasn't aware that magic is the only form of discrete combat option, period.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You just have to look at the PNP threads here to see that poo poo. Death threats and comparisons to Nazis because of disagreements over house rules. :wtc:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

poptart_fairy posted:

You just have to look at the PNP threads here to see that poo poo. Death threats and comparisons to Nazis because of disagreements over house rules. :wtc:

that's just internet poisoning.

NachtSieger posted:

What nonsense bullshit is this? I wasn't aware that magic is the only form of discrete combat option, period.

eh, the martial classes felt wrong, same as the magical ones. Martial classes don't have to be under-powered though, look at the 5e monk

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

eh, the martial classes felt wrong, same as the magical ones. Martial classes don't have to be under-powered though, look at the 5e monk

"Ah, yes, paragon of martial power, the 5e monk." I murmer wisely, rolling one of the classes with the absolute worst character options in the game, while at the same time brutally flagellating my own dick and balls with a chainlink dicebag.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

4e was good because it's the only edition where the designers realized that, if you're going to design a heavy, combat focused RPG, you should probably make the combat interesting.

4e combat drags on for way too long if the GM doesn't end it personally - they should have included an oldschool morale mechanic for the monsters to just loving give up.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
I got back into GTA Online because it's got new heists and I've got some sort of mental illness that compels me to play heists.

Holy poo poo has Freeplay gotten a lost worse. Even more bullshit flying vehicles with unlimited free ammo clogging the skies, and you have to do a 4-6 prep missions in Freeplay for each one while people crash I to each other to get to be the one who rains explosives on you. And the new Heist content is paywalled behind a property that's so expensive you'll only make your money back after you run all 3, and that's if you get the cheapest one that's positioned in the single most inconvenient part of the map. Meanwhile none of the major technical issues with the game since launch have ever been fixed.

I hate this stupid lovely busted rear end game that I'm probably gonna sink another dozen hours into. gently caress.

The actual stiff outside of Freeplay is really good if you've got enough friends to play it with. They need a "mute Lester" option though. He rambles on much longer and much louder than all other characters combined.

Tunicate posted:

4e combat drags on for way too long if the GM doesn't end it personally - they should have included an oldschool morale mechanic for the monsters to just loving give up.

4e is worse than most but I can't say there has been a single tabletop RPG I've played (and I've played a lot) where the combat isn't the slowest part. When DMing regardless of system I usually have a "break and run" once the enemy has obviously lost unless it's like a mindless automaton or whatever. Alternatively, have a "puzzle" in there that lets you end it as soon as you find the solution.

New Butt Order has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Jan 4, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Maybe you guys should play with a decent DM and not a rules lawyer if combat is that much of a slog, tbh

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Play paranoia

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

"The problem people had with 4th edition was that it wasn't 3.5 edition and either spellcasters weren't gods amongst the "common classes" (ie: non-spellcasters) or that the non-spellcaster classes got special abilities, thus spellcasters no longer felt like they were special (ie: "The warlord yells at people and it heals them? Then what's the point of playing a cleric?")." I just wasn't expecting someone to prove my point in this thread.

Tunicate posted:

I've never had a fight in 4e take longer than a fight in 3e that didn't involve a spellcaster shutting down the fight with a handful of spells.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

This is also always good advice.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only time I got to play a full game of Paranoia, I was a secret communist agent, and the team was delivering some kind of weapon that targets only communists. My secret goal was to steal the weapon and deliver it to my comrades. After a bunch of poo poo, we found the government agents we were supposed to deliver to battling with my comrades, so while everyone else was shooting and after stopping someone else from self destructing the weapon, I rejiggered it to target the government agents instead of the communists, then went "I used the weapon so all the communists are dead!" and got my team to deliver it to my comrades :haw:

The thing dragging it down was that we were all extreme newbies including the GM, so he wasn't able to fully explain that actually everyone loses but me, so everyone walked away thinking they won too. I Revolver Ocelot-ed the lot of you, I deserve to give a monologue :mad:

Also one guy had to leave the game and was apparently a mutant, because he left by eating an entire steel girder in front of all of us to save a teammate trapped under it. In return we immediately executed him by firing squad. Paranoia owns and it sucks that I only got to play it once years ago :(

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Randalor posted:

"The problem people had with 4th edition was that it wasn't 3.5 edition and either spellcasters weren't gods amongst the "common classes" (ie: non-spellcasters) or that the non-spellcaster classes got special abilities, thus spellcasters no longer felt like they were special (ie: "The warlord yells at people and it heals them? Then what's the point of playing a cleric?")." I just wasn't expecting someone to prove my point in this thread.

yup, everyone who disliked 4th edition was an egomaniacal psychopath who wanted everyone to worship him as a god. Totally grounded, reasonable criticism and not stupid posing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

yup, everyone who disliked 4th edition was an egomaniacal psychopath who wanted everyone to worship him as a god. Totally grounded, reasonable criticism and not stupid posing.

rodbeard posted:

My biggest complaint about 4e was that its solution to caster supremacy was to make everyone the caster.

Randalor posted:

or that the non-spellcaster classes got special abilities, thus spellcasters no longer felt like they were special (ie: "The warlord yells at people and it heals them? Then what's the point of playing a cleric?")"

Someone literally said that the melee classes were exactly like spellcasters in 4e, after I said that two complaints I had heard about 4e was that spellcasters were not all-powerful, and that non-spellcasters were allowed to have special abilities and so casters don't feel special anymore. Not sure what to tell you if you think that someone complaining about the very thing I had heard about people complaining about is stupid posing. I was responding to NachtSieger expressing surprise that people were complaining that non-casters got options in combat now by pointing out I had said that that was the common criticism earlier in the thread. I'm sorry if that somehow means that everyone who doesn't like it is an egomaniacal psychopath? I also said that the other issue people had with it was that it wasn't 3.5ed.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Not arguing with the rest of your points but what are you struggling with here? I thought the bowling was pretty straightforward.

:what:

Just the weird ball aiming bit. Most bowling games go: move L-R to set bowler position, move L-R to aim, Button to set power, stick controls hook.

The "time a button press to aim at strange angles" part is just weird.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
If you don't play D&D, you don't need to think or argue about what edition is the best! (Or worst.)

That is quite possibly the best reason to play fairly static roleplaying games that don't have changing editions.

Attestant has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Jan 4, 2018

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Danaru posted:

The only time I got to play a full game of Paranoia, I was a secret communist agent, and the team was delivering some kind of weapon that targets only communists. My secret goal was to steal the weapon and deliver it to my comrades. After a bunch of poo poo, we found the government agents we were supposed to deliver to battling with my comrades, so while everyone else was shooting and after stopping someone else from self destructing the weapon, I rejiggered it to target the government agents instead of the communists, then went "I used the weapon so all the communists are dead!" and got my team to deliver it to my comrades :haw:

The thing dragging it down was that we were all extreme newbies including the GM, so he wasn't able to fully explain that actually everyone loses but me, so everyone walked away thinking they won too. I Revolver Ocelot-ed the lot of you, I deserve to give a monologue :mad:

Also one guy had to leave the game and was apparently a mutant, because he left by eating an entire steel girder in front of all of us to save a teammate trapped under it. In return we immediately executed him by firing squad. Paranoia owns and it sucks that I only got to play it once years ago :(

Sounds like everyone else needs to find a working copy of jparanoia, and play paranoia online.
jparanoia is java-based, uses the old pre-Cardbased paranoia rules, has seperate chat windows, the GM can impersonate/murder/intitiate combat at anytime if things get boring, and is no longer under active development.
Sadly jaranoia was Ultraviolet level scrubbed from the internet when Moongoose's card-based version of paranoiaRPG was released.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find it, maybe you can play Jparanoia online.
(open firewall ports on your PC and enable IP address forwarding on your router).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have no idea how much grinding I should or shouldn't be doing in Digital Devil Saga, but everything - experience, money, refills, etc. - feel really scarce and hard-won. I like pretty much everything about the game, but it feels a bit like work and this is coming from someone who soloed Dragon Quest IX.