Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Blut posted:

Who are the 14% of people in council housing voting for the current Thatcherite FG? Talk about voting against their own self interests.

Remember he's for people who get up early in the morning!

So maybe binmen?

apologies to all binmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I was going to say that Leo hasn't even been running any #MAGA poo poo to appeal to people on low income, but I forgot about this.

https://twitter.com/welfare_ie/status/854305083433123841

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

irlZaphod posted:

I was going to say that Leo hasn't even been running any #MAGA poo poo to appeal to people on low income, but I forgot about this.

https://twitter.com/welfare_ie/status/854305083433123841

yeah that was on all the Dublin Buses for months before the election, what a oval office

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Didn't that campaign also end up costing a good chunk of what welfare fraud actually costs the state on a yearly basis? Even aside from the terrible morality of it thats just bad financial policy.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Leo used that campaign as the start of his leadership campaign shortly after. He's such a gargantuan oval office.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Blut posted:

Didn't that campaign also end up costing a good chunk of what welfare fraud actually costs the state on a yearly basis? Even aside from the terrible morality of it thats just bad financial policy.
Not 100% sure, but around the time this one launched, I read that a similar campaign which was run in the UK wasn't very successful.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Blut posted:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/single-case-of-social-welfare-identity-fraud-suspected-this-year-1.3102211

quote:

The Department of Social Protection has identified just one suspected case of identity fraud this year, it has emerged.

The department said in response to a parliamentary question that 134 suspected cases had been identified between 2014 and April this year, with 21 successful prosecutions so far, and 18 people receiving custodial sentences.

The Sinn Féin TD Denise Mitchell said this year’s single case showed that there had been no need for Minister for Social Protection Leo Varadkar to launch an advertising campaign last month to encourage the reporting of social-welfare fraud. The campaign, which uses the slogan Welfare Cheats Cheat Us All, has cost €200,845.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Oh thats even better. So the campaign cost a multiple of the actual savings, good god Leo. He really is just empty right wing rhetoric.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Identity fraud would only be one scenario of Welfare fraud though. You'd have to look at the breakdown of cases to see how much or how little it contributes to it overall.

Also apparently the numbers originally reported by the DSP to Sinn Féin were incorrect:
http://www.thejournal.ie/leo-welfare-cheats-3418436-May2017/

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

:discourse:

https://twitter.com/lorcansirr/status/949306932321570816

This loving country, I swear.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Temporary basis??? but I could be wrong.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Temporary basis??? but I could be wrong.
It's apparently temporary, and also:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/949322203920781312

So the decision was likely made prior to his comments last week. However, that was still a month after this:

http://www.thejournal.ie/homelessness-normal-conor-skehan-3693850-Nov2017/

quote:

“HOMELESSNESS IS A dreadful thing when it happens to someone, but it is a normal thing, it happens,” according to the chair of a major State housing body.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland, Conor Skehan said we need to move from a situation where we use words like “homeless’” and “crisis” continuously.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Thats pretty disgusting. In one of the richest cities in the world homelessness should most certainly not be a "normal thing". We can afford to build social housing, FG just don't want to do so.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
They are ideologically opposed to it. The spending on temporary solutions is massive and would dwarf the cost to build social housing.

Though I was once told the reason for funnelling tax money to private solutions regarding hotels and hostels is because of EU rules on government spending. Much like Irish Water was to take water infrastructure spending off the government books, emergency accommodation spending is off the books where social housing wouldn't be. Not sure how true that is I never verified it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Journal comments section has exploded at the news of government guaranteed mortgages.
Will be interested to see how the banks respond, hopefully with another rate drop (haha can’t believe I even typed that!)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So May 25th as a guide date for the referendum to repeal the 8th and insert an enabling clause to allow the Oireachtas to restrict access to abortion (to head off a contemporary x case it seems, overly cautious and a potential arse pain IMO).

Leo backing elective abortion in the first trimester post repeal - Coveney apparently will not.

Deffo kicks the election can down the road but this is going to be a major poo poo show.

And just to get everyone's blood up in advance:

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/957177876020948992

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 30, 2018

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For fucks sake!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also by gently caress am I gonna get sick of hearing "safe,legal and rare" by the end of this

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It’ll go through anyway.

I’ll kill a bunch of babies in protest if it doesn’t. Send their innocent souls straight to hell for dyin’ without being baptized.

There. That’ll motivate yis.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I don't think the church will stay as quiet in this as they did during equal marriage, the pro-life crowd are already infinitely better organised than the anti-marriage equality campaign was with more open support from elected officials.

The statement today does seem to indicate the package of reforms will be kept to the background of the debate (as it should really) but there are going to be published in tandem with the final question, may lead to an uncomfortable situation where the No campaign focuses on the planned reforms (which deffo are more contentious) with the Yes campaign struggling to "play the ball" and stick straight to repeal - that is if politicians are at the front

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I think i will be out of the country for it. Bollox.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/man-accquitted-over-homophobic-graffiti-on-dublin-gay-bar-1.3377852

quote:

A 24-year-old man has been cleared of carrying out a homophobic graffiti attack saying “faggots out” at one of Dublin’s best known gay bars.

[...]

Despite allegedly admitting the crime to gardaí, he was granted a dismissal following a number of technical arguments made by defence solicitor Tony Collier.

The lawyer contended that the case had to be thrown out due to gaps in evidence such as the lack of CCTV evidence as well as the absence of a Garda witness who authorised an interview when Mr Berkeley allegedly owned up.

The Gardai are fundamentally incompetent.

The article doesn't really mention what the lack of CCTV evidence was though, apparently the Gardai themselves watched it and based on that arrested Berkeley. What happened to it, then?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/man-accquitted-over-homophobic-graffiti-on-dublin-gay-bar-1.3377852

The Gardai are fundamentally incompetent.

The article doesn't really mention what the lack of CCTV evidence was though, apparently the Gardai themselves watched it and based on that arrested Berkeley. What happened to it, then?

Apparently the CCTV footage was not presented to the court and the officer that made the assessment to detain him after watching the footage also didn't turn up.

Seems like the fella admitted to initially it in an interview immediately after being taken to the station and they where expecting to roll this easy in court and weren't prepared for a challenge at all...

Edit: That's kind of in that article I guess but looking at other coverage the defence specifically said that the CCTV footage in question was not brought before the hearing, just witnesses who stated what they saw on it - which might indicate some idiot deleted it.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 3, 2018

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some serious :qq: from the property owners association this morning

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
One of the most important things I've become woke about in the last few years is just how poo poo the Gardai are.

They need to be gutted at all management levels.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, it seems to be a perfect balance of corrupt and incompetent.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I had a family member who died unexpectedly in January '14, from an overdose of a non-prescription medication. The inquest was scheduled in August '14, but two weeks beforehand a Gardai came and said it would have to be delayed, as they hadn't actually investigated the drug involved or where it originated from. Fast-forward to December '15 we go to the inquest and that same Gardai is one of those questioned, and he admitted he didn't make any progress or follow up on any leads, he just mumbled into the microphone. We only saw him on those two occasions, but from the looks of it he stalled an inquest for an entire year to buy himself time so he could then do absolutely nothing except fill in some paperwork proving he put in the minimum effort of work with this case he was attached to.

So yes, I don't have faith in the management of the Gardai.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

I have to say my experiences with any low level Gardai on the street has always been extremely positive. They seem to have far more common sense, and an ability to deal in 'grey' areas than either British or American police. They're also far less likely to immediately escalate tense situations to the use of force, from what I've seen. People who've never lived outside Ireland, or dealt with police in other jurisdictions tend to underestimate the importance of both of these I think - they make a huge difference to an average citizen's dealings with police. And they're also not downright corrupt like cops in huge swathes of the world, who're as likely beat you then to take you to an ATM and demand money from you as help you. Which is also to be valued.

The upper echelons do seem to be endemic with lazy/rear end-covering corruption though. Not as bad as outright rent seeking bribery, but still not acceptable at all. Bringing in external candidates to fill a large number of the senior management roles and clean house would do wonders for rooting out this "old boys network" aspect that comes down from high.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So yes, I don't have faith in the management of the Gardai.

Sorry to hear that man, that's loving atrocious.

I definitely believe that the rank-and-file GS are probably 80:20 "reasonable folk":"powertripping assholes", but it seems that the powertripping assholes are invariably the ones who rise into the upper administrative echelons. We need to legislate for an ombudsman that is actually empowered to act against abuses of power

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Anyone got suggestions where to emmigrate to?

I make what I would have considered a very decent salary as an electronic engineer. But when half it gets eaten by rent and a chunk to car insurance and its running costs; I'm left with sweet gently caress all to spend on myself. And the traffic/public transport in Dublin seems to be getting worse.
I could afford more luxuries 8 years ago when I was living at my parents gaff on the dole and I didn't have to deal with the stress of a lovely commute.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Marenghi posted:

Anyone got suggestions where to emmigrate to?

I make what I would have considered a very decent salary as an electronic engineer. But when half it gets eaten by rent and a chunk to car insurance and its running costs; I'm left with sweet gently caress all to spend on myself. And the traffic/public transport in Dublin seems to be getting worse.
I could afford more luxuries 8 years ago when I was living at my parents gaff on the dole and I didn't have to deal with the stress of a lovely commute.

Does your company have offices overseas?

Don't go work in the States anyway, you'll have plenty more to complain about between rent and healthcare costs, and the lovely work conditions. Netherlands is a good mix of high quality of life without the head wrecking aspects of Scandi culture imo.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
No they don't but it's a role that I could easily step into something similarly in most places.
I was thinking France or Germany, but I heard Germany is having its own issues with a rent crisis. And my grasp of both languages is currently limited.

quote:

Don't go work in the States anyway, you'll have plenty more to complain about between rent and healthcare costs, and the lovely work conditions.
My experience in business dealings with American's they seem to have two modes of work culture. Workaholics who don't take holidays and work till late in the evening in the hope of climbing higher the corporate ladder. And more laid back work to live types. Would be able duck out of work early to pick up the kids from school.
Though both types seem to depend on the companies culture, it's a top down work culture.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 14, 2018

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Marenghi posted:

No they don't but it's a role that I could easily step into something similarly in most places.
I was thinking France or Germany, but I heard Germany is having its own issues with a rent crisis. And my grasp of both languages is currently limited.

My experience in business dealings with American's they seem to have two modes of work culture. Workaholics who don't take holidays and work till late in the evening in the hope of climbing higher the corporate ladder. And more laid back work to live types. Would be able duck out of work early to pick up the kids from school.
Though both types seem to depend on the companies culture, it's a top down work culture.

The second kind is a lot rarer in white collar industries. American professional working life is pretty horrendous for the most part. High salaries, but horrible week-to-week hours. And, more importantly, a complete lack of holiday time. I don't know how anyone could go from a minimum 4 weeks a year of leave (plus 10ish bank/national holidays) working in Europe to anywhere from 0 to a few days a year working in the US.

There are lots of tech jobs in Amsterdam that wouldn't require the local language, less so in Germany. Outside of those, have you considered Australia? Its far away but is English speaking, has great weather, high salaries, and a more European style work/life balance than you'd get in America.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Isn't rent insane in Australia too though? I've heard it is in Sydney and Melbourne, at least, unless you live out in the sticks.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I know the cost of avocado toast is usurious to say the least

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don’t go to France unless you are on megabucks and even then....the work culture is terrible.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Basically, everywhere is poo poo.

e: Scandinavia has afaik high wages but high cost of living, but excellent childcare and healthcare. If you work for a multinational it'll presumably all be through English too.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The more I think about it, the more I'm hoping that we get a general election soon after the abortion referendum.

It is absolutely ridiculous that the situation with rents has gone on for this long. I have a feeling it's going to be the #1 issue coming up to the next general election, and whatever party puts forward rent controls has my vote.

There's an entire generation of people from 18 – 30 that are getting hosed by this and who're going to punish Fine Gael when it comes time to vote. Perhaps with the two referendums big referendums there'll be more young people registered.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Isn't rent insane in Australia too though? I've heard it is in Sydney and Melbourne, at least, unless you live out in the sticks.

Rents are insane in Sydney, not as bad elsewhere. With the higher wages than in Ireland though it should still work out a lower % of net income than Marenghi is paying in Dublin, depending on where he chooses. Plus most of the accommodation is of a higher standard. I always think thats the real killer with Dublin - extremely high rents coupled with really low quality accom. If rents were high but the standard of accom was high it'd be annoying, but wouldn't be quite as soul crushing.

Entropy238 posted:

The more I think about it, the more I'm hoping that we get a general election soon after the abortion referendum.

It is absolutely ridiculous that the situation with rents has gone on for this long. I have a feeling it's going to be the #1 issue coming up to the next general election, and whatever party puts forward rent controls has my vote.

There's an entire generation of people from 18 – 30 that are getting hosed by this and who're going to punish Fine Gael when it comes time to vote. Perhaps with the two referendums big referendums there'll be more young people registered.

This is extremely optimistic. Its probably not going to be a major issue at all. The major problem here is the generation of people from 18-30 don't vote, so politicians don't give a poo poo about them. The people aged 40-80, who own property and have much to gain from property price increases and rent increases, do vote. And donate to parties. And are a much larger percentage of the population. On top of that we have:

- Large commercial landlords who have lobbying interests have a preference for high rents.
- Banks who need property prices to keep rising to help their balance sheets. And who make more profit from selling larger mortgages
- Large numbers of small time landlords (including loads of TDs) who have a vested interest in property and rent prices climbing
- The fact rent increases are only really a problem in Dublin and to a lesser extent Cork/Galway. For most rural TDs they don't give a poo poo, if anything they see high Dublin rents as a positive that might encourage companies/people to move to rural areas.

Its a huge coalition of interested parties which means the state has in the past, and will likely continue to, focus all its efforts on gradually increasing property prices for the foreseeable future.

David McWilliams had a great article on this in the Irish Times recently that goes into all my points in more detail, its worth a read:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-rising-house-prices-suit-too-many-people-1.3368455

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Blut posted:

This is extremely optimistic. Its probably not going to be a major issue at all.

Hope is a lie :smith:

• Locked thread