Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I have the Ayaka covered, in fact I can make her 110%.

I really need a Mystea AND I need WoL or Charlotte to get off their asses and actually do some loving covering.

What I kept running into was no matter the reset Agrias would die. Leaving my Orlandu solo and then it would be "babies every where"

If Orlandu or Agrias survived it became "haha you couldnt burn it down past 4%" with stout specs and fire weapons attached. GRANTED these units were usually around 50% ice resist, maybe some Wind resist splashed in too.

Typical set up:
Ayaka
Orlandu
Agrias
WoL
Charlotte
(all kinds of friend units) Wilhelm/Mystea

Even tried with 2 OK. No dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i could toss mystea up as a friend unit if that would do it v:shobon:v

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I wouldn't be opposed to that. I can't remember who set up their unit for me last time.

My biggest concern is not having the firepower though I think I do. I wont spell out every unit's set up or anything.

I wonder if I can do it with out a fire weapon...

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Snow with a moogle plushie equipped is at 90% draw attack passively. If you’re having trouble with single targets going all over the place try using him. You can pair him with mystea who should probably start covering him early on and hopefully mitigate a lot of the damage from the first strike.

I used him when clearing half the bahamut exploration and he works pretty well for any pre-emptive attack encounters.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I used him on my 1st couple of attempts with that exact set up and it just did not do much

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I can put an ice resist Wilhelm up in the morning if you want to try that.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Everyone talking about icebird, please note: The icebird's magic attacks are not ice, they are ice/wind. Gear appropriately. (And the mini-birds are non-elemental)

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I can toss Firelandu with Tetra Sylpheed for bird killer up if y'all need.

Done:

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 4, 2018

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Greater Marlboro proved to be a challenge beyond my team atm. I need to finish at least one Angel Earring because the gear compromises and TMR slots i'm losing on Mystea without it are dire. She needs more life and more defense than I can gear her for right now while still getting dark resist above 100%.

Everything is perfect until the 50% threshold, and then there are turns that can kill her even if she's using Guard, Pod-153 p shield, her Destination or her LB and mitigation from her AOE cover. I was almost able to win anyway due to some luck but when she met that fatal turn my party can't survive the wipe that ensues. It makes it impossible to get back on my feet later in the fight and once both Trance Terras died once they were never again able to stay alive long enough to use their damaging abilities. They died within two turns of winning the fight BTW - he was at 18%, and the mini marlboros lived through a slightly mistimed ACW+2 chain that left them at 3%. Their self-destruct killed Mystea. I was not able to close the app in time to try for better RNG on that turn or make a different choice and so, after trying for about 15 turns to get my party alive and able to dish out any kind of damage again unsuccessfully, I had to give up.

But, I only got that far because on one turn past the 50% Mystea lived with 5/7400 HP. More life, more defense. The rest of the ingredients in the fight were going great. It all fell apart when she died. Perhaps exacerbated by my party's lack of reraise, but I was relying on Cagnazzo in the only slot I could have given to Rikku and I found GLS to be unsustainable in this fight due to her high mana cost per turn to get the Marlboros down quickly. If I had Ayaka, I'd use her, but no such pull yet.

Quick question - Pod-153 does reduce a lot of the incoming damage, right? It's that weird magical damage, physical type that makes me unsure but I don't want to waste turns or the slots I'm using bringing two of these things on different characters to make my rotation smoother.

Edit: I am pretty tempted to try again tomorrow since I feel it was really that misclick on the Chaos Waves that hosed me. I might do it just to see if that really was it. After that turn I was never able to get Cagnazzo alive and using Defensive Stance, while Mystea was alive and using her Wall and DR ability, and both had status protection and Love You All+2, and both had Pod-153 shield. Just too much setup for one turn. If I had GLSes instead of Trance Terras and could solve the mana problem, she could do the important status protections and also be a source of tank reraise later on... Hrm.

This is both the fun part and the worst part of the game to me. Friggin marlboro I will beat you

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 4, 2018

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Can someone remind me why folks are bothering to farm for / craft the Joyful Spirit materia? Just for expeditions units?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Cobalt60 posted:

Can someone remind me why folks are bothering to farm for / craft the Joyful Spirit materia? Just for expeditions units?

Two of them will cover all of the disabling ailments with a +20% HP bonus, making it great for arena and any other content that is heavy on ailments. Mini-discernment.

Some characters like Ramza and Wilhelm only need one, as they have a base 50% resistance for those particular ailments.

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 4, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

These new units seem to be trash so a pretty good banner to not roll in. Thanks for the lapis saved gumi

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Cao Ni Ma posted:

These new units seem to be trash so a pretty good banner to not roll in. Thanks for the lapis saved gumi

The units themselves are very meh. I would absolutely recommend pulling a Kaliva, there is NO doubt in my mind that his TM will be important for someone. At the very least it will come into play when 7*s hit and we get more MAG DH users. Immediate use is Grim Lord Sakura for those who got her.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Servers are being hammered right now, rolling is hard. 10+1 ticket gave me my first Wilhelm. My first UoC ticket is going to be a tough choice.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, servers are making GBS threads the bed. 10+1 gave me VoL #2, too bad she is a pretty low-rated 7*.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I’m stuck in a perpetual notice of the 12 days event

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
That's fine Gumi, kicking me out of the game like that. The only thing that 10+1 did was advance my progress on Equip Spear.

Edit: Also Toby is a mega troll unit on this banner. His TMR is literally garbage. 5% evade, unstackable? Get the gently caress out of my face with that poo poo Gumi.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 4, 2018

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I’m having flashbacks to Rikku.

Is this banner really that big?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The banner is not up, its just people all doing their 10+1 ticket

The banner is trash, I say again the banner is trash. Everything in it sucks with the exception of one TMR that might be good if you dont have DW and good gear to dual wield. And if you do get it you need 2 limited time units TMRs to be an upgrade over the typical setups

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 4, 2018

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

hagie posted:

I’m having flashbacks to Rikku.

Is this banner really that big?

The raid announcement showed that trust moogles would be handed out by the raid gatcha, so you should be able to get the TMRs of whatever units you manage to pull. However, those TMRs are not game-breaking by any means. I'll do my daily pull on the banner but that's about it. Not gonna bother spending any tickets on it.

Edit: Looking closer at the units themselves, they are mostly trash... Except for the dinosaur. You really, really want that loving dinosaur. He's potentially the iNichol of this banner.

Why the Dinosaur?

His move set gives you one very important thing: a Single Target 25% MAGIC Damage Reduction buff. That specificity on MAGIC damage means that, much like Physical Damage Reduction buffs, it will almost certainly stack with a general Damage Reduction buff. At 25% it can make a difference between Mystea eating total poo poo on a bad turn with Marlboro or just barely scraping out alive. And it also increases that unit's SPR by 80%, in case you need that. It lasts 3 turns too... there's literally nothing wrong with this ability. Barusa also comes with a Physical version of this move, but there are much better sources of physical damage mitigation (see Pod).

Along with those two special abilities, Barusa can work as a Provoke tank, which is what you need for pairing a physical tank with Mystea, or as a Cover tank in a pinch. He also gets a DEF scaling chaining move which is super loving interesting, and although that move's modifier is low, it's 7 hits so in his off turn he might be able to help chain and add a bit of extra DPS, depending on the frames. But honestly, his rotation will probably be ST Magic Damage Reduction on Mystea -> Self 100% All Status Immunity Buff -> Self 100% Provoke with 20% DR, in whatever order is most appropriate.

The other units are either mildly useful or trash, probably the latter.

Ray Jack is a light elemental unit, but none of his attacks have DR/DP frames to chain with Orlandeau and friends afaik. Most of his attacks are either 1 hit or 6 hits. The interesting thing is that he has a passive ST cover, and can counter physical with a small static 10% HP + 5% MP party heal (20% chance, only once per turn), so you could make a point of turning him into a minor troll unit for Arena I guess. His LB is cool though, if a bit limited: It imbues the party with Light elemental for 1 turn.

Kaliva is this weird hybrid healer/MAG unit. He gains access to a triple-cast ability for one turn after using his primary heal/dps move, but all his moves have abysmal scaling and hit count. Like, actually dogshit scaling/hits. So you won't be seeing much from him.

Toby is basically worthless except he gets 30% evade passively (the only 3* base to have that) so you could make a case for using him as a 100% evade tank to pair up with iNichol in a pinch. And his LB gives the team 2 Evade Stacks, which is another very rare and potentially exploitable thing. The kicker? His LB costs only 12 crysts in 4*, so you can potentially give him a 12 LB-per-turn build to give the party two guaranteed missed physical hits.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 4, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Two hour emergency update good job Gumi

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Come on Gumi, get your poo poo together, I want my 10+disappointment.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Office Thug posted:

The raid announcement showed that trust moogles would be handed out by the raid gatcha, so you should be able to get the TMRs of whatever units you manage to pull. However, those TMRs are not game-breaking by any means. I'll do my daily pull on the banner but that's about it. Not gonna bother spending any tickets on it.

Edit: Looking closer at the units themselves, they are mostly trash... Except for the dinosaur. You really, really want that loving dinosaur. He's potentially the iNichol of this banner.

Why the Dinosaur?

His move set gives you one very important thing: a Single Target 25% MAGIC Damage Reduction buff. That specificity on MAGIC damage means that, much like Physical Damage Reduction buffs, it will almost certainly stack with a general Damage Reduction buff. At 25% it can make a difference between Mystea eating total poo poo on a bad turn with Marlboro or just barely scraping out alive. And it also increases that unit's SPR by 80%, in case you need that. It lasts 3 turns too... there's literally nothing wrong with this ability. Barusa also comes with a Physical version of this move, but there are much better sources of physical damage mitigation (see Pod).

Along with those two special abilities, Barusa can work as a Provoke tank, which is what you need for pairing a physical tank with Mystea, or as a Cover tank in a pinch. He also gets a DEF scaling chaining move which is super loving interesting, and although that move's modifier is low, it's 7 hits so in his off turn he might be able to help chain and add a bit of extra DPS, depending on the frames. But honestly, his rotation will probably be ST Magic Damage Reduction on Mystea -> Self 100% All Status Immunity Buff -> Self 100% Provoke with 20% DR, in whatever order is most appropriate.

The other units are either mildly useful or trash, probably the latter.

Ray Jack is a light elemental unit, but none of his attacks have DR/DP frames to chain with Orlandeau and friends afaik. Most of his attacks are either 1 hit or 6 hits. The interesting thing is that he has a passive ST cover, and can counter physical with a small static 10% HP + 5% MP party heal (20% chance, only once per turn), so you could make a point of turning him into a minor troll unit for Arena I guess. His LB is cool though, if a bit limited: It imbues the party with Light elemental for 1 turn.

Kaliva is this weird hybrid healer/MAG unit. He gains access to a triple-cast ability for one turn after using his primary heal/dps move, but all his moves have abysmal scaling and hit count. Like, actually dogshit scaling/hits. So you won't be seeing much from him.

Toby is basically worthless except he gets 30% evade passively (the only 3* base to have that) so you could make a case for using him as a 100% evade tank to pair up with iNichol in a pinch. And his LB gives the team 2 Evade Stacks, which is another very rare and potentially exploitable thing. The kicker? His LB costs only 12 crysts in 4*, so you can potentially give him a 12 LB-per-turn build to give the party two guaranteed missed physical hits.

Yeah, I said Barusa was the one to shoot for, but your breakdown is very informative! :)

These characters are all pretty much what they are in the King's Knight mobile game. There are five classes IIRC.

RayJack is a Warrior character so he does his elemental damage.

Barusa is a Tank/Monster character and their thing is those little floaty orb shields and big impenetrable domes.

Kaliva is a Mage, and they handle ALL the magic, they're the only healers and also the long range attackers.

Toby is a Thief, and he totally sucks in that game too. Their thing is Evasion?

Not used in this crossover: Monks. When King's Knight came out the first event character was a lady dwarf monk and she's the only character I could get to 5* because event drops aren't as rare as campaign drops. Monks are good, they have short range, quick, powerful attacks.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Two hour emergency update good job Gumi

I sense great negativity in you.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
More maintenance means more compensation! The best of both worlds!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hagie posted:

I’m stuck in a perpetual notice of the 12 days event

Yup. I had that issue, too. I had to use the Back key on my phone to get out of it.

Office Thug posted:

Why the Dinosaur?

What would you suggest as a Pod replacement for people who either didn't manage to get a 9S or missed the One Time Only Never Gonna Happen Again!* NiER Collab?

I'm not one of them. I got two 9S. And maybe oneday, I'll even finish one of those TMRs...

*poo poo like this is bullshit. EVERY Event/Collab should rotate back in at some point.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Yup. I had that issue, too. I had to use the Back key on my phone to get out of it.

What would you suggest as a Pod replacement for people who either didn't manage to get a 9S or missed the One Time Only Never Gonna Happen Again!* NiER Collab?

I'm not one of them. I got two 9S. And maybe oneday, I'll even finish one of those TMRs...

*poo poo like this is bullshit. EVERY Event/Collab should rotate back in at some point.

Convinently the dragon dude’s tm also grants a physical damage reduction ability.

Worth noting that like the neir collab its two 4* banner units so the odds of getting the specific one you want is less then 2.5%, less then the odds of a rainbow crystal.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Tengames posted:

Convinently the dragon dude’s tm also grants a physical damage reduction ability.

Worth noting that like the neir collab its two 4* banner units so the odds of getting the specific one you want is less then 2.5%, less then the odds of a rainbow crystal.

And lets be real, the on-banner rainbow here is poo poo.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Tengames posted:

Yup! It's 30% too, party-wide, with 3 turn duration. And the materia itself has 30% DEF attached to it so you could slap it on Barusa himself, if you can manage without the 100% status immunity buff in your rotation. But if you don't have a better DEF buff than 80% on him from another unit, his own ability ST physical damage reduction will probably be better since it's that + 25% physical DR. Little dude is really a complete package, he's like a baby Wilhelm.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

And lets be real, the on-banner rainbow here is poo poo.

Well, if you manage to pull him, you'll probably get his TMR for free with all the trust moogles the raid "might" vomit out over the coming weeks. That's like a free Veritas of the Earth TMR in terms of ATK for some units, definitely not bad.

But yeah, don't loving chase him.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Ray jack’s tm is good for gladious if you want to go for his atk/def build (his limit break is a good aoe finisher so he actually works as one) and the damage reduction tm gives him something his tank role was badly missing.

Dont worry about the magic doublehand tm though, almost all mage 7* get a equip bonus from both doublehand and dual weild , so you wont get screwed if you dont pull one.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I did a Veritas of Light TDH FD finisher test vs. Malboro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9aTXks5Wiw

Her LB is amazing.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A blizzard must be hitting the servers or something. More NRG bottles coupled with Lapis that I can't claim until I burn more of my bottle stash.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ha! People with a Level 100 Gilbert in their party couldn't complete Expeditions. The game just said Nope!

Edit
I'm still getting Servers Are Busy :byewhore: errors. :gumi:

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 4, 2018

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Yep, I barely managed to click through the compensation and login reward in the mailbox before the servers poo poo the bed again.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

I hear its 7* is really good.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

KDdidit posted:

A blizzard must be hitting the servers or something. More NRG bottles coupled with Lapis that I can't claim until I burn more of my bottle stash.

There's an actual gently caress-off enormous storm hitting the north-east coast right now. But Gumi America's office is in California so I figure their servers will be near there if they're in NA.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Fryevia #1 on my 10+1. What a nice way to start my pulls this year.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Server congestion has cleared up for me (well, back to usual and playable at least). 10+1 netted me my first Seabreeze Dark Fina and Iris so I'm happy with that :toot: . I only recently started grinding a Dark Robe for T.Terra so I can switch to SDF's without a hitch and she can be an Ultima +2 chaining buddy if needed. Plus Iris for her TM draw attack shield because I stuck out completely on the FF15 banner that I only pulled 3 times on to be fair.

Also thanks for the free lapis Gilbert! Guess you were good for something!

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
10+1 gave me Chizuru and Seven and nine blues ranging from Mustadio to Alma to Fang. In conclusion, I hate everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Server did well enough for me to do my Daily Half, 10+1, and use two tickets in an attempt to get WKN or Christine, then poo poo itself.

I ended up with Trey, Cyan, and Scarmiglione for my Daily Half & 2 Tickets. 10+1 gave me my first Xon, but also gave me Bedile AND Russel.

Bedile, Russel, and Cyan. What a way to start 2018!

• Locked thread