Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If I remember correctly, you don't really need to grind in DDS unless you're going after the superboss or just want to unlock items for DDS2. Or unless you've been slacking on eating enemies to get the skills faster. And if you are wanting to grind, I would suggest farming luck sources from fairies first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Randalor posted:

If I remember correctly, you don't really need to grind in DDS unless you're going after the superboss or just want to unlock items for DDS2. Or unless you've been slacking on eating enemies to get the skills faster. And if you are wanting to grind, I would suggest farming luck sources from fairies first.

Ah, cool. I haven't even run into fairies yet, so maybe I'm just being overambitious; I'm just hell-bent on getting new mantras. I hate earning AP but not having enough money to buy a new mantra into which to pour it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sorry, I meant Pixies, not fairies. There's an area where you run into (I believe) a single Pixie who can summon High Pixies, and they're the ones that drop luck noises. As long as you can one-shot the High Pixies, the normal Pixie will hang around to summon more or cast magic at you.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, and Space Trucker has designs which ensure better results, vanilla TTA has Napoleon/burned iconoclasm-combo, the SM's Civ has "military academies and 3rd city", Castles of MKL has "buy all stairways", in BSG you waste/conserve fuel over everything else etc.

Most if not all boardgames which are not simply static state machines have some powerplay strategy built into them which dominates unless very specifically played against, and experience will make it easier for you to spot the way to abuse the system.

Catan is easy to teach, quite well-known, easy to play and a good way to get into more advanced strategy/optimization board games. And its not always terrible if you play it with other people; it is also easy to just annoy the poo poo out of the players who consider themselves "too good for this sort of game." Carcassonne is another one, which might be a bit dull in the long run, but it is piss-easy to teach to new players and probably is unlike anything they have played before.

I agree, Catan is a decent intro game for people getting into the hobby. I played it, enjoyed it at the time, and found other games that did the bits of Catan that I liked better* as I got sick of Catan. People arent wrong to point out its limitations (initial placement is the most important, sometimes literally the only important, choice players will make, optimal choices are not obvious to new players, it has a LOT of randomness, a lot of turns can sometimes be "roll dice, say done", there is not a lot of player interaction oustide of trading and so on.), but equally its a fun game until you play it enough for those aspects to become obvious and start to grate. Its one of those games that I enjoyed at the time but wouldnt go back to now (see also, Munchkin and Chez Geek. Dominion is another one that introduced me to deck building games but I have played so many deckbuilders I like more now that I couldnt go back to Dominion). I was turned off Carcassonne because I first played it with someone who was practically a Carcassonne savant and he routinely crushed everyone else into the dirt while I was still trying to get a handle on what constituted a "good" play, let alone any deeper strategy. A couple of games of that in a row and I was done with the game.

Personally if I was to dig out a good "gateway" game that I havent soured on through repetition it would be Ticket to Ride. Ticket has its own issues, but I enjoy the game, its easy to teach, not hugely long, the randomness is somewhat mitigated by having choice of cards to take and so on. I do know someone who plays Ticket a lot and knows the base game tickets well enough that he knows the best choke points to build on to have the best chance of ruining everyone elses day but I'mnot close to that. Plus I have the 1910 expansion that adds a wider variety of tickets.

As for D&D, again I played it (2E) when I was in my early teens, enjoyed it, and ignored any rules that we thought were getting in the way of the fun. D&D is roleplaying by way of wargaming and its fine for that (IIRC this is literally true, D&D was originally an evolution of a miniatures wargaming rule set). 2E had a lot of rules systems, some of which made sense, some of which didnt. My group then moved from D&D into other, better* rulesets that did the parts we liked from D&D with fewer ofthe parts we didnt. Some people like the heavy rules based combat and get into systems that codify that even further (your Rolemaster and stuff like that), others like the improv role playing and get into more rules-light games (I think the FATE system? I havent touched a character sheet in years so my memory is hazy). If you game with a player who deliberately steals everyones thunder as a wizard then that sucks. But theres a good chance that player would also be a thunder stealing dick whichever system you play. Smug obstructionist bastards can find a way to bring down literally any game. Dont play games with people who are arseholes when they play games. I remember Shadowrun had an issue where, with access to a couple of splatbooks a character could drop a couple of hundred thou at character creation and completely ruin the acton economy of the game, possibly taking literally 5 actions before a non augmented character could take one. In a game with guns (so most characters have a broadly equal damage output per action) more actions = more effectiveness. None of my players abused that, they looked at it, built the character as a funny thought exercise, then went back to running fun if non-optimal characters who worked as a team instead because no-one wanted to ruin everyones fun by having every combat be all about them.

*for clarity, when I say "better" I mean more to my personal taste. If you love Catan above the games I prefer, more power to your elbow, this isnt an attempt at some sort of objective quality ranking of games. I knew a couple who went to a games club every week and every week all they played was Catan. For literally years. Like what you like. Except monopoly, monopoly is in fact objectively poo poo and I will go to the loving barricades over that one. Also muchkin, but at least no-one pretends thats a serious game and it doesnt take loving hours.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RagnarokAngel posted:

Roleplaying is in the hands of the player not the system. Mechanics which augment roleplaying are Cool and Good but theres nothing from 3e you couldn't roleplay just as well in 4e.

This is why I've never been able to get into roleplaying games that lean heavily on complicated combat mechanics and tons of stats and variables to keep track of and really punishing and absurd rules lawyering (like that story of a guy taking advantage of free actions to build a railgun by having a circle of peasants pass a stone among themselves a million times, or the entirety of that awful Goblins webcomic). Like, video games exist now. The human element and improvisation are the one thing they offer that a computer doesn't handle better and a lot of games seem to do their damnedest to get rid of that.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Well, gently caress, I didn't mean to accidentally kick all of this off. I wasn't trying to logic anyone into changing their minds or bring back edition warring. I just wanted to figure out why people think 4 has less roleplaying, especially in the hopes that I could avoid potential pitfalls with my game running.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have no idea how much grinding I should or shouldn't be doing in Digital Devil Saga, but everything - experience, money, refills, etc. - feel really scarce and hard-won. I like pretty much everything about the game, but it feels a bit like work and this is coming from someone who soloed Dragon Quest IX.

Dragon Quest IX was super easy. But you shouldn't worry too much about grinding out your mantras until later, there are easy ways to do it involving specific late-game enemies that give a lot of AP and fun AP share devour builds. If you want any immediate advice, I'd say worry about getting resist mantras or better for your character's weaknesses so you can't get your turns taken away.

Randalor posted:

Sorry, I meant Pixies, not fairies. There's an area where you run into (I believe) a single Pixie who can summon High Pixies, and they're the ones that drop luck noises. As long as you can one-shot the High Pixies, the normal Pixie will hang around to summon more or cast magic at you.

stat boosting item farming is hellish post-game optional super boss preparation tiers of grind.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Guy Mann posted:

This is why I've never been able to get into roleplaying games that lean heavily on complicated combat mechanics and tons of stats and variables to keep track of and really punishing and absurd rules lawyering (like that story of a guy taking advantage of free actions to build a railgun by having a circle of peasants pass a stone among themselves a million times, or the entirety of that awful Goblins webcomic). Like, video games exist now. The human element and improvisation are the one thing they offer that a computer doesn't handle better and a lot of games seem to do their damnedest to get rid of that.

Dude that story is a thought experiment and not something anyone would take seriously.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Randalor posted:

In all honesty, I've played a ton of RPGs, and I can count on one hand the amount of them I've actually had to grind in:

-Final Fantasy III is goddamn bullshit by the end, so you kind of need to grind to keep pace.
-Persona 4 was an edge case, I probably wouldn't have needed to grind if I'd built my team/Personas a little better (I was VERY insistent on bringing Naoto), but as-is I needed some extra power to not get one-shot.
-And SMT Strange Journey's boss has some real heavy hits built into it, so again, I needed to grind for security. I actually was well-built to sustain that one, but the opening salvo before I could set up did me in.

I've always felt like, with rare exception, grinding is less of an actual intended solution and more of a method to brute-force past more nuanced difficulty. A good JRPG should always have either tools the player can use to bolster themselves or enemy weaknesses to exploit, more and bigger numbers aren't often the go-to solution.

Of course, this all precludes bonus superbosses, which usually do need grinding to handle. ...Although now that I think about it the original superbosses, FFV's Shinryu and Omega, weren't like that, it was FFVII's Weapons that demanded grinding.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Of course, this all precludes bonus superbosses, which usually do need grinding to handle. ...Although now that I think about it the original superbosses, FFV's Shinryu and Omega, weren't like that, it was FFVII's Weapons that demanded grinding.

In Digital Devil Saga's case most of the optional bosses don't require crazy grinding or anything to beat if you've learned the game system well enough but The Demifiend absolutely requires max stats and an optimal set up to stand even a shot of winning. He's also the only optional boss that doesn't have any real reward for beating.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Dude that story is a thought experiment and not something anyone would take seriously.

The internet is vast and there's always someone to not get a joke.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's a thought experiment that illustrates how :spergin: rules lawyering ruins roleplaying games and how trying to add more and more rules to get around that just opens up more opportunities for that kind of thing.

The best roleplaying game experience I've ever seen was when The Adventure Zone ditched D&D entirely and just did a bunch of episodes using nothing but two d6s and three stats and a single resource and it made something way more fun, creative, and entertaining than anything that came before or since. But of course a lot of tabletop gaming grognards already hated the show precisely because it didn't let strict adherence to rules take priority over having fun and telling a good story so it's a bit of a moot point I guess.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Guy Mann posted:

It's a thought experiment that illustrates how :spergin: rules lawyering ruins roleplaying games and how trying to add more and more rules to get around that just opens up more opportunities for that kind of thing.

The best roleplaying game experience I've ever seen was when The Adventure Zone ditched D&D entirely and just did a bunch of episodes using nothing but two d6s and three stats and a single resource and it made something way more fun, creative, and entertaining than anything that came before or since. But of course a lot of tabletop gaming grognards already hated the show precisely because it didn't let strict adherence to rules take priority over having fun and telling a good story so it's a bit of a moot point I guess.

loving autists, am I right

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

the adventure show is entertaining but it's poo poo dnd, not because of rules, but because the entire thing runs on GM fiat and often there's a 15 minute period where the DM is basically saying 'some NPCs do cool poo poo and solve the quest for you'.

Good show, bad dnd.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked watching that "Vin Diesel playing D&D with those internet dudes" video, D&Diesel. It was cute. It really showed how much Vin enjoys the game, he didn't dominate the scene, he was equally involved with everyone else for the most part, although the opportunity came for him to get the killing blow at the end, and he was so invested in the situation - whenever the DM was setting the scene, Vin was watching him intently, paying close attention to what was in the room at the time, obviously trying to work out a good strategy to deal with it. Also whenever he got a critical roll he'd fistbump the air and go "Critical :c00lbutt:" :3:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Agent355 posted:

the adventure show is entertaining but it's poo poo dnd, not because of rules, but because the entire thing runs on GM fiat and often there's a 15 minute period where the DM is basically saying 'some NPCs do cool poo poo and solve the quest for you'.

Good show, bad dnd.

if you don't like it, it just means you're a stupid autist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

if you don't like it, it just means you're a stupid autist

yeah thats how the internet works.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Where does pathfinder fall in all this? Because I'm going to complain responsibilities and time restraints are dragging that down for me.

Pathfinder is garbage, but its garbage me and my friends like

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just finished Trine 3, and that ending is... not an ending.

Also, throughout the entire game I was never able to properly judge distance back and forward. There was a good reason for the first two games not letting you move in all three dimensions. It's not a huge issue, but it does drag some sections out because you have to redo bits because jumps and attacks are so hard to judge.

And while I'm at it, the combat challenge levels are pretty lame - and that includes the final boss level.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, and Space Trucker has designs which ensure better results, vanilla TTA has Napoleon/burned iconoclasm-combo, the SM's Civ has "military academies and 3rd city", Castles of MKL has "buy all stairways", in BSG you waste/conserve fuel over everything else etc.

Most if not all boardgames which are not simply static state machines have some powerplay strategy built into them which dominates unless very specifically played against, and experience will make it easier for you to spot the way to abuse the system.

Catan is easy to teach, quite well-known, easy to play and a good way to get into more advanced strategy/optimization board games. And its not always terrible if you play it with other people; it is also easy to just annoy the poo poo out of the players who consider themselves "too good for this sort of game." Carcassonne is another one, which might be a bit dull in the long run, but it is piss-easy to teach to new players and probably is unlike anything they have played before.

Oh I totally agree in principle, I just hate how Catan can gently caress you over randomly and make you incapable of any moves for several turns in a row.

Carcassonne owns though, and has basically replaced Catan as my gateway drug. You can actually drink and chat while playing it, and if you try that with Catan the game grinds to a halt.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh I totally agree in principle, I just hate how Catan can gently caress you over randomly and make you incapable of any moves for several turns in a row.

Carcassonne owns though, and has basically replaced Catan as my gateway drug. You can actually drink and chat while playing it, and if you try that with Catan the game grinds to a halt.

I need to write Settlers Of Carcosa as a scenario

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Modern tabletop RPGs seem to be going in two directions. First is the D&D/Pathfinder stuff, where come hell or high water we're going to make people buy a shitload of books. The other is the lighter, more story and roleplay focused direction, which I greatly prefer. If you're at all interested in tabletop gaming but think there's too much to learn and don't want a full combat minigame, check out some Powered By the Apocalypse games like Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, and Spirit of '77.

Also, I don't agree that roleplaying is all on the group. The system determines how the group's characters interact with the world, so it has a huge impact on roleplaying. Running a D&D adventure using Paranoia would give it a much different feel, after all.

D&D is boring, Pathfinder is boring with a fresher coat of paint, and Starfinder is loving hilariously broken while still being boring.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

OutOfPrint posted:

D&D is boring, Pathfinder is boring with a fresher coat of paint

The only reason that Pathfinder even exists is because a bunch of 3.5e canned adventure makers didn't want to stop so they made a system that let them keep doing it forever. "Fresher coat of paint" is the opposite of why that system exists.

New Butt Order has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Jan 5, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked watching that "Vin Diesel playing D&D with those internet dudes" video, D&Diesel. It was cute. It really showed how much Vin enjoys the game, he didn't dominate the scene, he was equally involved with everyone else for the most part, although the opportunity came for him to get the killing blow at the end, and he was so invested in the situation - whenever the DM was setting the scene, Vin was watching him intently, paying close attention to what was in the room at the time, obviously trying to work out a good strategy to deal with it. Also whenever he got a critical roll he'd fistbump the air and go "Critical :c00lbutt:" :3:

I love that Vin Diesel made his own game studio just so he can make a Riddick game.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

New Butt Order posted:

The only reason that Pathfinder even exists is because a bunch of 3.5e canned adventure makers didn't want to stop so they made a system that let them keep doing it forever. "Fresher coat of paint" is the opposite of why that system exists.

I meant it as in "has a different art style in the books," since that's the biggest difference between the two. It's still a near 1:1 copy of 3.5.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Agent355 posted:

the adventure show is entertaining but it's poo poo dnd, not because of rules, but because the entire thing runs on GM fiat

All role playing games run on GM fiat :ssh:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Who What Now posted:

All role playing games run on GM fiat :ssh: