Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Looking at the typical career path of NFL coaches, it seems like a system designed to maximize the effect of the Peter Principle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/brennen_rupp/status/947680311273492482

Man I wish Kevin hadn't gotten injured

I remember going wild over that tackle months ago

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

R.D. Mangles posted:

bring in favre, let him call plays by literally drawing them up in the dirt, and have an ambulance on call for the football announcers witnessing it

every play is some weird schoolyard flea flicker

im in

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dowell Loggains has left the Bears, to become the new OC of the Dolphins.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i just remembered ryan pace paid mike glennon $18 million then got an extension

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bears gonna sign Bill Belichick.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/949314013279784960

lmao

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/949331775679074304

:toot:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Xavier Rhodes and Harrison Smith named first team All Pros.

Everton Griffen and Adam Thielen are second team All Pros.

Glad Smith got All Pro despite the Pro Bowl snub. He’s the only player on the Vikings I think is unquestionably the best at his position.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
here's the list of Bears All-Pros from recent 1st round draft picks

2017 1st: Trubs. 30th in the league in rating
2016 1st: Leonard Floyd. currently dead, was good before dying
2015 1st: Kevin White: dead, also super bad when alive
2014 1st: Kyle Fuller: was dead, got better, did ok and now wants to get paid
2013 1st: Kyle Long: dead
2012 1st: Shea McLellin: sucked, won SB with pats because why not

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Kyle Long has at least made a couple of pro bowls. You know who the previous Bears 1st round pick was to make to the Pro Bowl with the team? Tommie Harris, who was drafted in 2004. Hopefully we don't have wait another decade for the Bears to draft a 1st round pro-bowler.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fishing with the fam posted:

Kyle Long has at least made a couple of pro bowls. You know who the previous Bears 1st round pick was to make to the Pro Bowl with the team? Tommie Harris, who was drafted in 2004. Hopefully we don't have wait another decade for the Bears to draft a 1st round pro-bowler.

i did this a couple years ago but found that out of 1st round picks this century (which starts in 2001, conveniently excluding urlacher), the bears had the fewest pro bowlers . raiders were worse for a little bit until khalil mack got them there, it was just him and nmadi for a long while.

cleveland is weird on that list because they've drafted nobody good forever except the best LT who made a million pro bowls

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 5, 2018

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/detnews_sports/status/949405460859424768

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

the Packers are being bullied and persecuted and I won't stand for it

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

packers hire john fox for defensive coordinator, bears hire dom capers for head coach

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Scared?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

cleveland is weird on that list because they've drafted nobody good forever except the best LT who made a million pro bowls

it's weird but good that joe thomas has gotten the amount of recognition that he has

normally you'd think the way linemen get recognition is by blocking for a dominant running game (which cleveland hasn't had except for the one weird peyton hillis year) or by providing reliable protection to a productive QB (where cleveland has had only trash idiots who can run into sacks even when they are protected)

I guess there are more football nerds who actually pay attention to line play than I thought

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
kind of an odd move unless the Lions are going to force Austin on the new HC. otherwise they’re loving him over.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Eh, may not be nice but I can't fault them for not wanting their DC to go be DC for a division rival.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Yeah, they already let him interview for Cincinnati so it's a clear case of "gently caress the Packers" more than anything else.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, they already let him interview for Cincinnati so it's a clear case of "gently caress the Packers" more than anything else.

And I see no problem with this. gently caress the Packers forever

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

gently caress the Packers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I get the whole loving rivals thing but unless your coaches buy into it that's a hard sell.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Q_res posted:

Eh, may not be nice but I can't fault them for not wanting their DC to go be DC for a division rival.

Even just interviewing him could conceivably give them inside information about a divisional rival they wouldn't have had otherwise

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It's pretty hilarious the Lions and Vikings care more about sorta being spiteful toward a division rival than treating their own personnel right.

Surely this won't be a consideration for any quality coaching talent they try to attract in the future.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

BGrifter posted:

It's pretty hilarious the Lions and Vikings care more about sorta being spiteful toward a division rival than treating their own personnel right.

Surely this won't be a consideration for any quality coaching talent they try to attract in the future.

I suspect they've already addressed it with Austin. If not, you'll hear reports that he's pissed or you will find out he's released from the team in the next couple of days.

Sometimes coordinators use the team to say no for them, if they think it could be an ugly situation and don't want to burn bridges. And thinks are strangely uncertain in Green Bay at the moment.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Austin not wanting to be a Packer seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to assume.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Entirely possible, but not as funny as the Lions being that petty.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

huge coaching news, Packers defensive quality assistant and former Florida Tusker TIM MCGARIGLE has left green bay to come home to the Northwestern Wildcats, Chicago's Big Ten Team.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/jamalagnew/status/949388804950966272

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5HihwFYvxQ

Man, it's crazy that we got this guy for only a 5th round pick.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i agree that its very likely coaches may not want to take a job with the lions now that they know the lions will deny them an opportunity to interview with the packers while under contract. this is a real concern most coaches in the league share.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/949441345051119616

Lol if the Bears just keep hiring lovely former Broncos coaches.

Also has anyone else seen the weird rumblings about Fat Mike quitting if Green Bay makes Russ Ball the GM?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pops Mgee posted:

Also has anyone else seen the weird rumblings about Fat Mike quitting if Green Bay makes Russ Ball the GM?

Yes

Rodgers is also not thrilled with the idea of GM Ball. We've been tracking it over in the coaching carousel thread

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Russ Ball getting hired and McCarthy quitting might be the best option for GB at this point in time IMO.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OxySnake posted:

Russ Ball getting hired and McCarthy quitting might be the best option for GB at this point in time IMO.

My big problem with that is that if that happens, we'll probably lose Gutekunst and Wolf both too. So now we have a glorified accountant as GM, losing our head coach, top two scouting directors, and Rodgers is pissed.

Supposedly Ball is a very close ally of Ted Thompson. Him as GM would probably be more of Ted.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Not to mention who the gently caress do we bring in to replace Mike if he leaves?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
I don't think I buy the talk from McGinn (or from Florio plagiarizing and then five articles later actually quoting McGinn) that Ball is any sort of front-runner

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

rabidsquid posted:

i agree that its very likely coaches may not want to take a job with the lions now that they know the lions will deny them an opportunity to interview with the packers while under contract. this is a real concern most coaches in the league share.

Yeah it's really a shooting in the foot situation among rising coordinators.

Which makes its pettiness funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes

Rodgers is also not thrilled with the idea of GM Ball. We've been tracking it over in the coaching carousel thread

I had figured the shake-up was a sign of the team moving to a more strongly Win Now personnel management model

(I think they need to be operating with the assumption of a roughly 3-year window, since, while rodgers ~might keep playing at a top level to the age of 40 like Brady, you can't count on that)

but if Ball is a mini-Thompson, as described, it sounds like that might not be the case

• Locked thread