Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

How long does it take usually for an unemployability claim to go through? Had my VA appointments about a month ago, and submitted it back in September (early). I'm not expecting a quick thing, just wanting to know how long I'm gonna be left wondering.

My initial compensation claim took like 3 months from submission to paymonies this summer. Dunno if that relates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

DoktorLoken posted:

My initial compensation claim took like 3 months from submission to paymonies this summer. Dunno if that relates.

My initial compensation took 2 months, adding a parent as a dependent has been going for a year and a half.

Edit:

Also, allow me to trigger everyone's PTSD:

Edit 2:

Also the entire eBenefits portal is down today, I called them and they're like yeah we know, maybe try tomorrow. So I guess don't bother trying to get in if you had anything to do today.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 7, 2017

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ebenefits never loving works.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bulletsponge13 posted:

Ebenefits never loving works.

It's like healthcare.gov, but forever and always.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So my VocRehab counsellor is already balking about me trying to get a masters degree. Where can I check to see if my degree is watered-down enough for the VA to be like "yeah it says it's recommended to have a graduate degree" so I can get her to just let me do it?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So my dad served in vietnam, came back with PTSD, lived on a mountain-top in the woods smoking away his memories, and never signed up/tried to use any benefits outside of basic medical. I've started pushing him to actually look into benefits that he might be able to use.

He's up on the e-benefits site now, and I connected him with the local VA office, but I don't trust him to actually follow-up with the outreach guys there and explore his options. Is there much available to vietnam vets outside of the basic medical?

How does any sort of disability classification work if he's not-so-disabled now but was-severely-then?

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 4, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So, long story short, a dog ate my DD214. Hard to replace?

I did make a digital copy before hand thankfully.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

If you had your outprocessing office forward a copy to the VA, which almost everyone does, they should be able to print you out a copy upon request whenever you are there next.

I have also used digital copies for a bunch of different purposes so you should be in relatively OK shape

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Order through St Louis, that's what I ended up having to do

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
While you're at it, get a set of your medals, too. If there's a spot for it, they'll engrave your name on the back.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

File a copy with your state/county Veterans' Service dept. or whatever. I did with mine and they can make certified copies of it.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I know just about everyone has a VA horror story, mines pretty bad and I thought I’d share. I’m older than most of you. I retired from the Army in 2012 after 21 years of service. I am a veteran of Desert Storm and OIF, with other deployments thrown in as well.
I left the Army with PTSD and TBI, which I never had diagnosed in the military because I didn’t want to ruin my career. I self medicated with alcohol, binge drinking heavily. I wasn’t an alcoholic because I could function and quit anytime, that was my rationalization.
Things fell apart quickly after I retired and I ended up in the psych ward of the VA a few times after multiple suicide attempts. I wasn’t very good at suicide, I guess. I ended up heavily drugged and numb.
I was taking almost 30 pills a day and was a drooling idiot most of the time. I was rated 100% by the VA with a few special comps thrown in. The drugs didn’t really fix my broken brain so the VA decided to go full retard. I went through three sessions of Electro-Convulsive Therapy. They put a hot wire to my head, because of the things I did and said, to quote Johnny Rotten.
ECT isn’t really a good idea for a person with TBI, but I was too drugged to protest. I lost a large chunk of memory, my daughter's high school years are a blank. I look at pictures from that time and it rips me apart because I don’t remember.
My wife finally had enough of me and we separated for a time in 2015. I had some self-realization and weaned myself off the drugs and alcohol. We got back together and moved to Colorado.
Colorado was good for a while. My health returned and I lost 90 pounds. I hiked, climbed 14ers, and volunteered for outdoor causes. The Colorado VA system seemed overwhelmed and not very responsive, but I didn’t really care too much.
In September of this year I started waking up with some leg pain. I went to my primary care and he diagnosed me with hip impingement. I was given a Veteran’s Choice referral to an orthopedist. It took a month and a half to get the appointment. During that time my leg got worse and I went to the ER a couple of times where I was given steroid packs and sent home.
My wife and I planned on going full time in our RV in November, living a leisurely life of travel. We were able to do so for a month, travelling all over New Mexico, it was great, while it lasted.
We headed back to Colorado for my Ortho appointment, the whole time my leg and now my back were getting worse. The ortho spoke to me for maybe five minutes before saying it certainly wasn’t a bone issue, it was a nerve issue.
Rather than waiting another 45 days for a neuro appointment in Colorado we came to Kansas where I have family. I was able to get an appointment immediately at the VA and multiple tests were done.
I have a tumor on my spine, pressing on nerves and pushing against my bladder. Awesome. I’m in a wheelchair now and wearing adult diapers. I’m back on a bunch of pills, Oxy, Valium, Flexeril, etc.
In September I hiked Mt Elbert, the highest peak in Colorado and now a couple months later I can barely walk 10 feet or stand for more than a minute. The VA in Colorado completely misdiagnosed me. I’m waiting for a neurosurgeon evaluation next week to see what can be done. I got an apartment in Wichita and my RV life is hopefully just on hold for a bit.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Jesus dude that's awful. I really hope you get some good news soon now that they've actually diagnosed your condition.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

While you're at it, get a set of your medals, too. If there's a spot for it, they'll engrave your name on the back.

Here's a question. I got my 3rd GCM when I was on terminal leave but noone awarded it to me. It's automatic right? I don't have to worry about orders for it?

It's not about what it means or whatever, it's about what is owed.

Thanks everyone.

MonkeyWash posted:

I know just about everyone has a VA horror story, mines pretty bad and I thought I’d share. I’m older than most of you. I retired from the Army in 2012 after 21 years of service. I am a veteran of Desert Storm and OIF, with other deployments thrown in as well.
I left the Army with PTSD and TBI, which I never had diagnosed in the military because I didn’t want to ruin my career. I self medicated with alcohol, binge drinking heavily. I wasn’t an alcoholic because I could function and quit anytime, that was my rationalization.
Things fell apart quickly after I retired and I ended up in the psych ward of the VA a few times after multiple suicide attempts. I wasn’t very good at suicide, I guess. I ended up heavily drugged and numb.
I was taking almost 30 pills a day and was a drooling idiot most of the time. I was rated 100% by the VA with a few special comps thrown in. The drugs didn’t really fix my broken brain so the VA decided to go full retard. I went through three sessions of Electro-Convulsive Therapy. They put a hot wire to my head, because of the things I did and said, to quote Johnny Rotten.
ECT isn’t really a good idea for a person with TBI, but I was too drugged to protest. I lost a large chunk of memory, my daughter's high school years are a blank. I look at pictures from that time and it rips me apart because I don’t remember.
My wife finally had enough of me and we separated for a time in 2015. I had some self-realization and weaned myself off the drugs and alcohol. We got back together and moved to Colorado.
Colorado was good for a while. My health returned and I lost 90 pounds. I hiked, climbed 14ers, and volunteered for outdoor causes. The Colorado VA system seemed overwhelmed and not very responsive, but I didn’t really care too much.
In September of this year I started waking up with some leg pain. I went to my primary care and he diagnosed me with hip impingement. I was given a Veteran’s Choice referral to an orthopedist. It took a month and a half to get the appointment. During that time my leg got worse and I went to the ER a couple of times where I was given steroid packs and sent home.
My wife and I planned on going full time in our RV in November, living a leisurely life of travel. We were able to do so for a month, travelling all over New Mexico, it was great, while it lasted.
We headed back to Colorado for my Ortho appointment, the whole time my leg and now my back were getting worse. The ortho spoke to me for maybe five minutes before saying it certainly wasn’t a bone issue, it was a nerve issue.
Rather than waiting another 45 days for a neuro appointment in Colorado we came to Kansas where I have family. I was able to get an appointment immediately at the VA and multiple tests were done.
I have a tumor on my spine, pressing on nerves and pushing against my bladder. Awesome. I’m in a wheelchair now and wearing adult diapers. I’m back on a bunch of pills, Oxy, Valium, Flexeril, etc.
In September I hiked Mt Elbert, the highest peak in Colorado and now a couple months later I can barely walk 10 feet or stand for more than a minute. The VA in Colorado completely misdiagnosed me. I’m waiting for a neurosurgeon evaluation next week to see what can be done. I got an apartment in Wichita and my RV life is hopefully just on hold for a bit.

Man, I'm not that bad, but close. I didn't have a TBI, but I've blocked a lot of poo poo out of my head and can't remember some stuff either (like my Grandma right before she died was telling me all these stories of how we were doing stuff a few years back but I just wasn't clicking that I was there).

Be careful man. Best of luck

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Here's a question. I got my 3rd GCM when I was on terminal leave but noone awarded it to me. It's automatic right? I don't have to worry about orders for it?

It's not about what it means or whatever, it's about what is owed.

Thanks everyone.

If it's only your DD-214, then yeah, you're good. If it ain't, then ask yourself how much effort you want to expend on getting someone to get you paperwork for a GCM.

I never got a couple Guard medals due me but IDGAF because lol Guard.

"Yeah, I have the Mississippi War Medal too!"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

If it's only your DD-214, then yeah, you're good. If it ain't, then ask yourself how much effort you want to expend on getting someone to get you paperwork for a GCM.

I never got a couple Guard medals due me but IDGAF because lol Guard.

"Yeah, I have the Mississippi War Medal too!"

I don't think I have the required effort.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
With 12 months left on my GI Bill I applied for Voc Rehab, in a career field with a clear laid out plan im hoping I can get this fourth year covered. (70% retired rating, idk if that matters)

Anyone have luck with it? I applied, I have my appointment at the big VA (got the packet today). I just wanted to start early so there was no issue in 12 months when my GI Bill is gone. My GPA is great, what else do you think will help me?

I am currently in school and starts in Jan..

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
yeah I got an extension for law school, it was 4 months for the third year though

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
Yeah, currently using it for my MBA. I’ve found most other people getting it are pretty rude and nasty to the staff (some for good reason, I guess) so as long as you follow the regs and are super pleasant and patient it seems to work out. For me they were all about the labor market, so it’s probably helpful to show you’re going into a growing field that requires x degree.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
My FIL is heavily disabled(non-service related but he is a veteran), my wife(who has POA) and I are trying to find out if we can get him VA assistance or into a VA facility. He lives on Social Security income and there is no money to pay for this. Who do we contact? Where do we get started? He lives north of Tampa, so it would end up being in that area, ideally.

It seems we might be able to get him a home health aid/homemaker of some sort, but he has no money to pay for this. Is there still an avenue to pursue?

lord1234 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 22, 2017

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

So my dad served in vietnam, came back with PTSD, lived on a mountain-top in the woods smoking away his memories, and never signed up/tried to use any benefits outside of basic medical. I've started pushing him to actually look into benefits that he might be able to use.

He's up on the e-benefits site now, and I connected him with the local VA office, but I don't trust him to actually follow-up with the outreach guys there and explore his options. Is there much available to vietnam vets outside of the basic medical?

How does any sort of disability classification work if he's not-so-hosed-up not but was-severely-then?

Disability compensation only applies to current disability levels. So while he may have experienced significant disability in the past, VA will only be concerned with his current level of functioning. Regardless, don't allow that to discourage you or your father from pursuing the benefits to which they're entitled. Make sure that he gets his claim in and that he attends any appointments that may be scheduled for him.

If he served boots on the ground in Vietnam, do some research into disabilities related to Agent Orange and other herbicides used in Vietnam. If he has diabetes or coronary artery disease, he may be able to receive compensation for these conditions, regardless of current income.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A bunch of Vietnam-era stuff just got expanded over the past couple of years. DEFINITELY worth looking into.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I still need to register on the burn pit thingy.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

cult_hero posted:

Disability compensation only applies to current disability levels. So while he may have experienced significant disability in the past, VA will only be concerned with his current level of functioning. Regardless, don't allow that to discourage you or your father from pursuing the benefits to which they're entitled. Make sure that he gets his claim in and that he attends any appointments that may be scheduled for him.

If he served boots on the ground in Vietnam, do some research into disabilities related to Agent Orange and other herbicides used in Vietnam. If he has diabetes or coronary artery disease, he may be able to receive compensation for these conditions, regardless of current income.

Can the VA take someone's disability benefits away?

Let's say I've been getting 50% disability pay for the last 7 or so years, can they just end that?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

A bunch of Vietnam-era stuff just got expanded over the past couple of years. DEFINITELY worth looking into.

Is there anything special for Vietnam Vets who never stepped foot in-country? I'm assuming no...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It all depends on what they were exposed to. For example, maintenance crews at Hill AFB who never crossed the Pacific are finally getting help for conditions linked to Agent Orange, because they refit the C-123s afterwards.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

white sauce posted:

Can the VA take someone's disability benefits away?

Let's say I've been getting 50% disability pay for the last 7 or so years, can they just end that?

yeah, they can reduce the evaluation, but generally won't automatically do so unless they have a reason to do so, such as you put in a claim like "I think I deserve an evaluation for my back condition higher than the 40% you gave me" and then the evidence shows you only meet the criteria for a 20%.

Also if you've been evaluated at a level for five years or more they have to show "sustained improvement" which generally means that if they see it's improved, they would nee another examination in like another year or so.

So generally, if you've been receiving it for 7 years, they won't really touch it.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

lord1234 posted:

Is there anything special for Vietnam Vets who never stepped foot in-country? I'm assuming no...

Just for being Vietnam era, no. But herbicide exposure depends a huge amount on the specific circumstances of service. Right now, VA concedes that Agent Orange and similar herbicides were present at the Korean DMZ during a very specific window and only for specific units, specific air bases in Thailand, but only for specific personnel, and brown water navy vessels, or those who otherwise docked in country.

Unfortunately, it's a pretty narrow list, so it doesn't apply to individuals like blue water navy operating off shore or at "Yankee Station" where most of the carriers were positioned.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Has anyone used their GI bill overseas for graduate level work? What was it like? Could you find a job afterwards in that country?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

cult_hero posted:

Unfortunately, it's a pretty narrow list...

Where can I find this list?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Soulex posted:

Has anyone used their GI bill overseas for graduate level work? What was it like? Could you find a job afterwards in that country?

I have a friend who got her PhD in the Netherlands using her GI Bill plus whatever fellowships and whatnot they do over there. She now teaches at Oxford, so it seems to have worked out. She never mentioned any problems with it.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

cult_hero posted:

yeah, they can reduce the evaluation, but generally won't automatically do so unless they have a reason to do so, such as you put in a claim like "I think I deserve an evaluation for my back condition higher than the 40% you gave me" and then the evidence shows you only meet the criteria for a 20%.

Also if you've been evaluated at a level for five years or more they have to show "sustained improvement" which generally means that if they see it's improved, they would nee another examination in like another year or so.

So generally, if you've been receiving it for 7 years, they won't really touch it.

Thank you!

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

lord1234 posted:

Where can I find this list?

https://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/docs/admin21/m21_1/.../M21-1IV_ii_1_SecH.docx

This is the manual section used by claims adjudicators to decide claims based on herbicide exposure. There's a lot of technical instructions and such, but generally provides the information on which VA and DOD have determined exposure.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/docs/shiplist.docx

This is the list of ships that have been shown to have either served in brown water or otherwise docked in Vietnam.

One other thing to note is that due to a weird little quirk in the law, VA presumes service connection for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) for anyone serving in Vietnam, including the territorial waters, which means that blue water navy as well. But this is only for NHL.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I was recently disability retired. I have a 70% rating from the VA, and the DOD. It's all combat related. I've waived my VA pay from my retired pay, and am getting a little extra in retirement each month to make up the difference. Am I eligible for CRSC? How exactly would that benefit me? I'm not sure I understand if I would be getting extra money or not, and of course I'm far away from any support center to speak to an RSO. The retirement paperwork had a number I can call that goes to a voicemail box that is perpetually full.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

U.S. Barryl posted:

I was recently disability retired. I have a 70% rating from the VA, and the DOD. It's all combat related. I've waived my VA pay from my retired pay, and am getting a little extra in retirement each month to make up the difference. Am I eligible for CRSC? How exactly would that benefit me? I'm not sure I understand if I would be getting extra money or not, and of course I'm far away from any support center to speak to an RSO. The retirement paperwork had a number I can call that goes to a voicemail box that is perpetually full.

CRSC means you get 100% of your pension (as taxable income) plus your VA compensation.

Go talk to a VSO asap.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

CRSC means you get 100% of your pension (as taxable income) plus your VA compensation.

Go talk to a VSO asap.

That seems like great news, but you say taxable income and I was made to believe that I would not be taxed due to my disability percentage? Regardless, I'm happy about extra money, just trying to understand everything I can. I'll have to get an appointment at my state VA office.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

U.S. Barryl posted:

That seems like great news, but you say taxable income and I was made to believe that I would not be taxed due to my disability percentage? Regardless, I'm happy about extra money, just trying to understand everything I can. I'll have to get an appointment at my state VA office.

Typically you're not allowed to dip into both pots. You can get a pension (which is taxable income) or VA compensation (which is not). The mechanism they use is lowering your pension whatever amount you're getting paid by the VA.

The combat exclusion means that you're allowed to get money from both. IIRC vasudus and a few others here have it as well.

Also, don't go to the state VA office unless it's a VSO. If you were in Florida I could point you in the right direction, but I can't say for other states. American Legion affiliated VSOs are usually a safe bet.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Typically you're not allowed to dip into both pots. You can get a pension (which is taxable income) or VA compensation (which is not). The mechanism they use is lowering your pension whatever amount you're getting paid by the VA.

The combat exclusion means that you're allowed to get money from both. IIRC vasudus and a few others here have it as well.

Also, don't go to the state VA office unless it's a VSO. If you were in Florida I could point you in the right direction, but I can't say for other states. American Legion affiliated VSOs are usually a safe bet.

FWIW, I'm had good luck last year and 2012 with DAV (Disabled American Veterans) helping me with my claim. Although that was for very minor issues. I have heard VFW does good work too. Probably, like with most things in life, it all comes down to the location and people working there.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Anybody have experience with National Veterans Legal Services Program? I submitted an application to have them represent me for CRSC but it's not too soon to back out and go a more traditional route like VFW, or DAV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

U.S. Barryl posted:

Anybody have experience with National Veterans Legal Services Program? I submitted an application to have them represent me for CRSC but it's not too soon to back out and go a more traditional route like VFW, or DAV.

They're going to probably refer you to a VSO because you're not at the stage yet where you need a lawyer. You can call up and possibly walk in to a local VSO today and get things started.

Where are you in the country?